Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Sphyre posted:

why can this church stop a bike lane from being built anyways. the on street parking is on the street. it doesn't belong to them. it's not yours. gently caress you

and in the article they talk about how their church members spend 10s of thousands a year on spaces in parking garages so like - use those??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Xaris posted:

wow very racist of parisians to hate poor people who have to drive loud car. smdh

honk honk honk!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A lot of the membership is rich and well connected is why lol

also lmao @ implying that a bike lane on a public street desecrates the memory of the slaves that built a private church abutting it

mystes
May 31, 2006

PeterCat posted:

I think that's supposed to be an unprotected bike lane on the right? But those things scare the poo poo out of me.

It's like the lane you can see on the right side of the road here. Yeah, just an narrow painted lane on a 40mph road, also the right turn into the shopping area cuts over the lane as well, so I just ride on the sidewalk instead of risking my life.

If they insist on keeping parking they should at least be able to make it a parking protected bike lane, although without an additional buffer there's still a risk of dooring

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Should just do like San Francisco and not enforce double-parking on Sundays near churches.

bonus: Forces neighbors who park on the street to plan on doing stuff car-free on Sundays because they are blocked in.

withak has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Feb 23, 2022

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
I was looking forward to spring cus i'll be able to bike again, but y'all reminded me of the loud fart bikes that flood the town the minute it's warm. maybe ill start shooting them this year

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Is a loud motorcycle better or worse than a car? They're smaller and get better mpg than a car but also they're loud and have the associated leather pirate cosplayers

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Dog Case posted:

Is a loud motorcycle better or worse than a car? They're smaller and get better mpg than a car but also they're loud and have the associated leather pirate cosplayers

the ones actively destroying my hearing forever? they are unforgivable

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
there are loud cars but the loud motorcycles are much louder in my experience. probably better for the environment if you only look at mpg but holy poo poo Shut The gently caress Up, Boomers

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dog Case posted:

motorcycles are better if presented in the false dichotomy between no cars vs no bikes. but they should hold the same space in the public transportation hierarchy: not a consideration at all.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
I can't justify this but I feel convinced that the kind of people who deliberately produce as much road noise as possible could be altogether removed from society and not be missed for a moment. Probably be a relief to the people who know them.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

If it's not a train, tram, bus or bike it has no place in society.

Subways are underground trains.

Funiculars are trains on slopes.

Ferries are floating buses.

This covers all acceptable vehicle options, no further discussion required.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Loud engines don't bother me too much, it's the loving cacophony of tire noise on a high traffic road. Maybe we can ticket all cars making tire noise until no cars remain?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I've introduced a law mandating that all roads have the lowest possible friction coefficient to ensure peace and tranquility for all residents and passers-by of anywhere cars may be present

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Skateboards and little scootery things should be allowed. Ive seen a lot of people using those lately.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
electric scooters are super cool and would probably be my vehicle of choice in a car-free world for traversing urban spaces quickly

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krPQ1PMM00Y

PeterCat has issued a correction as of 23:52 on Feb 23, 2022

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Somebody will have a bigger card and then we're just back to loud motorcycles all over again

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

withak posted:

Should just do like San Francisco and not enforce double-parking on Sundays near churches.

bonus: Forces neighbors who park on the street to plan on doing stuff car-free on Sundays because they are blocked in.

lol San Francisco doesn’t enforce double parking. most of the time anyways. there’s a lot of streets where a lane has just turned into defacto street parking with dozens of Uber eats and door dashers double parked back to back with hazard lights on. last time I was on haight it was entirely filled double parked with giggers

Shattuck in Berkeley is the same with an entire lane and bike lane pretty much just packed with hazard light parked cars from like 6pm to 10pm

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
I like the idea of an electric motorcycle because it could charge almost fully in the time it takes to get groceries.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Epic High Five posted:

A lot of the membership is rich and well connected is why lol

that was pretty explicitly how the churches on 9th st were able to derail the bike lane project there for a few years, the mayor's senior aide goes to one of them and teamed up with the churches to convince the mayor to drop the street redesign - even after DDOT reworked the whole thing to ensure they wouldn't lose any of their precious parking spaces

i think some of this is a cynical strategy by the churches, who are telling their congregations that bike lanes cause gentrification and then claiming victory in the battle against gentrification by stopping them from getting built; eventually the whole thing becomes a fight over a symbolic value that the churches themselves have assigned to bike lanes and not the actual merits of the project itself.

a lot of the churches have really cool histories and have been an important part of the district's society, and it sucks that this is how a bunch of them are operating these days. some of the same ones leading the charge against bike lanes are operating rental properties as slum lords, and still others have cleared out their properties and are marketing them as 'luxury' apartments now, which might be part of the reason why they're so eager to talk about gentrification as if it's caused by bike lanes and not housing.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
just gonna go ahead and boost these from the aliexpress thread

:cool:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
motorcyclists have the dignity to mostly just off themselves rather than other road users for the most part at least

mystes
May 31, 2006

leftist heap posted:

motorcyclists have the dignity to mostly just off themselves rather than other road users for the most part at least
Generally anything smaller/lighter is better in this respect but it would probably be even better to ban actual motorcycles and only allow mopeds or something in cities.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
E motorbikes are kinda dumb because in order to go as fast as a bike that barely sips petrol you need to add a huge amount of battery weight for the high voltage and high discharge rate required

E mopeds make more sense as you're only aiming for 50-60kph top speed on a lighter chassis, and 50 miles of range on a charge is fine for most cities I imagine

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Wolfy posted:

Loud engines don't bother me too much, it's the loving cacophony of tire noise on a high traffic road. Maybe we can ticket all cars making tire noise until no cars remain?

i'll have you over for 1 hour on a nice sunday afternoon and you'll change your mind, lol

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
By me the people with the loudest engines only come out in the godforsaken middle of the night.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Sphyre posted:

why can this church stop a bike lane from being built anyways. the on street parking is on the street. it doesn't belong to them. it's not yours. gently caress you

Is a man not entitled to the bike off his lane?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

El Pollo Blanco posted:

E motorbikes are kinda dumb because in order to go as fast as a bike that barely sips petrol you need to add a huge amount of battery weight for the high voltage and high discharge rate required

E mopeds make more sense as you're only aiming for 50-60kph top speed on a lighter chassis, and 50 miles of range on a charge is fine for most cities I imagine

this is why there should be a balancing factor of every driver having their choice of whip, flail, or nailbat

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Xaris posted:

wow very racist of parisians to hate poor people who have to drive loud car. smdh

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Mayor Dave posted:

i live in a high-rise that's not on any busy streets but my balcony faces a freeway that's 2 miles away and it's still so loving loud i can't bear to spend time out there

you're telling me you can hear traffic two miles away? are you an owl?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

withak posted:

Small business owners are convinced that no one will shop at their store unless they can always park in a curb space right out front like in the movies.

I remember a few years back Houston shut down a stretch of road for cars for a few hours on one weekend. I was in the comic shop on that road a few days before and the owner was bitching about how they were going to have no customers at all, because how would they be able to get to the store?!?! When the street was shutdown I swung by and the store was more crowded than I had ever seen it before.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
small biz boomer brains is just amazing

i worked for a smallbiz boomers for almost a decade before getting into public work and i dont know how i put up with it for so long. just so much dumb poo poo. people complain about 'bureaucracy and red tape' and poo poo in public work and well yeah, but everyone is extremely professional and it's also there for a reason.

he also bought two brand new jeep grand cherokee laredos as company cars. the first one had the transmission die after like 8 months and other problems that shouldn't have been problems. even after all the problems "dont worry it's fine its still under WARRENTY!"", and they thought it was a good idea to buy a second loving one. thing is unwieldy for a city and useless for job sites too.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PeterCat posted:

I think that's supposed to be an unprotected bike lane on the right? But those things scare the poo poo out of me.

It's like the lane you can see on the right side of the road here. Yeah, just an narrow painted lane on a 40mph road, also the right turn into the shopping area cuts over the lane as well, so I just ride on the sidewalk instead of risking my life.

I just realized that people have almost certainly been hassled for "furtive glances" while walking because they were checking for traffic

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Skateboards and little scootery things should be allowed. Ive seen a lot of people using those lately.

Are you talking about those little foldable scooters that hansel had in zoolander? I hope those come back

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

you're telling me you can hear traffic two miles away? are you an owl?

You can still hear highway traffic pretty far away in quiet rural environments.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Fame Douglas posted:

You can still hear highway traffic pretty far away in quiet rural environments.

I don't think they're building too many high rises in quiet rural environments

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dog Case posted:

im ashamed to admit this but I never get mad at obnoxious motorcyclists bc I know they're probably gonna end up w horrific injuries. They pose less risk to other motorists and pedestrians too so.. "not great, not terrible"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Are you talking about those little foldable scooters that hansel had in zoolander? I hope those come back

Yeah lots more people started riding them recently. I don't know if it's just because the tech is finally practical, they got to try the rental scooters and liked them, or the pandemic just pushed them to do something else. But lots more college students are riding stuff like that than they were a couple of years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

what a soulless shithole. destroy it and let nature reclaim the land