Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I DM a long running campaign, the players are level 14 and are now plane hopping around. They have a week of downtime in Bytopia and the tortle Bard/Barbarian gave me this for his downtime activity

I need to fill this thing up, so give me your best extraplanar pit fighter and/or wrestler ideas!

Pussy Quipped fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

A Trios Team of three Dragonborn,

the twist is each one is three Kobolds in a wrestling singlet.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Pussy Quipped posted:

I DM a long running campaign, the players are level 14 and are now plane hopping around. They have a week of downtime in Bytopia and the tortle Bard/Barbarian gave me this for his downtime activity

I need to fill this thing up, so give me your best extraplanar pit fighter and/or wrestler ideas!

A pair of opposite-handed Yagnoloths:

They've got specialized arms just for walloping!

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Blooming Brilliant posted:

A Trios Team of three Dragonborn,

the twist is each one is three Kobolds in a wrestling singlet.

Any excuse to post this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

A doppelganger who transforms into their opponent, except they're wearing a rudo luchador mask.

Edit: Andre the Giant but in a literal sense, can also work for yuan-ti Jake "The Snake" Roberts.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 23, 2022

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

An artificer wrestler who really likes conjuring steel chairs, tables and ladders.

Speaking of pit fighting I did write up a design for a monk subclass:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Pussy Quipped posted:

The "Manly Man" Randall Wildman needs to make an appearance!

He just recently got back from Avernus, and he's hankerin' for a spankerin'.

He's level 14 (or thereabouts) as well, actually.

He's a great weapon master bear totem barbarian (or bearbarian, if you wheel), who utilizes the "gnomish folding greataxe" aka a steel chair.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 24, 2022

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Pussy Quipped posted:

One of the players in my new campaign is playing a Giff wrestler named Sgt. Pepper that struts around like the Million Dollar Man and makes opponents kiss his signet ring. Do with that what you will.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Pussy Quipped posted:

Would it be too cliche/stereotypical to have a Fray Tormenta/Nacho Libre expy, with actual divine thunder and lightning powers?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pussy Quipped posted:

Someone gotta wrestle a Xorn

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Tarkaxas, Emperor of Tomorrow...Today!

Kobold wrestler using Giant's Might from the Rune Knight kit. Claims to be the cousin of Godzilla or whatever off-brand kaiju you want.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The Undertaker,

that's it :v:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Also its an afterlife fighting tournamnet so Goku is gonna be there

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Clearly you've got to have a bear there. Just a random, genuine bear who somehow got in there. So the organiser just shrugged and had it ushered into the ring for a fight :v:

Anyway, I just had another session of our Strahd campaign. We've spent a bunch of sessions avoiding the plot now, while visiting Vallaki and surrounds. I don't know how much has been altered from the source material, but after a day of shopping and talking to animals (I'm a fishman druid who strives to protect sealife, but I'm proficient in horse-drawn vehicles. So I wanted horses and a wagon for our long treks between towns. But seeing as I like animals, I naturally asked the horses for consent to buy them and bought the ones who agreed. And also talked to some ravens later on) we went to the lake, where I planned some trouble for the local fishermen, as I make it my business to stealthily hinder fishermen's efforts to harvest my fellow fish. But while en route we discovered that there haven't been any fish biting for a while...then when we arrived a Vestani girl was in a sack and tossed into the lake by a local drunk out on the lake in a rowboat. I swam out there and cut the sack open, then brought her back into the boat and revived her before she died. (Normally I don't mind humans dying, but I've had a great time with the Vestani before, so I didn't care for this guy trying to kill one)
Then when I questioned him and he said it's lucky to sacrifice Vestani, and he doesn't want the 'spirit of the lake' to be angry because of the lack of sacrifice...so naturally I grabbed him and dove into the water with him, pulling him deeper under the surface. (The party were waiting by the shore through all this, by the way. Just like, 'what the hell is he doing??') then I noticed an emerging shape and saw that the 'spirit' is actually a young sea serpent, who somehow got into the lake and wiped out the local water life. I had a brief chat with it to explain who I was (and the serpent explaining how little it cares :v: ), then quickly swam to the surface and clambered aboard the boat before rowing to shore, leaving the drunk racist guy to his fate.

After getting the girl back home to the nearby Vestani camp I gave her a small, sharp knife and a pouch/sheath, with some tips on using it, if someone tries nabbing her again. But now, I'm wondering if next session/the next day I should try to abduct a few of the local fishermen with a party member to help me, then drop them into the lake to see if I can have a proper conversation with the lake monster and find out how it got there, etc.

So yeah, I'm not sure how much of that was added on vs source material, but it's certainly been real good to actually have some animals to talk to and bodies of water to delve into, after the sunless citadel and other trekking! :D Now I've just got the ethical conundrum of what to do with the creature, seeing as although it's a sea creature, it's also technically a mere dragon...it also hasn't exactly gone out of its way to preserve the local ecosystem either...

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 24, 2022

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kenning posted:

Dungeons and Daddies is legitimately hilarious.

I followed all of the podcasts mentioned, so thank you all for the great suggestions. I kicked things off with Dungeons and Daddies. The moment they all took psychic damage because someone in the party made a dad joke, and then psychic damage again (almost downing one of the players) because someone tried to explain the dad joke, I knew I was in the right place. Can’t wait to see where this goes.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
Thanks everybody for your assistance with my question! Gonna weigh some options for my player.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Thanks for all the luchador suggestions! Great stuff.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Major Isoor posted:

So yeah, I'm not sure how much of that was added on vs source material, but it's certainly been real good to actually have some animals to talk to and bodies of water to delve into, after the sunless citadel and other trekking! :D

I don't know if you want to know or not, but some of that is RAW, some of that is definitely homemade. Good on your DM for adding some cool stuff for you to interact with! I say definitely lean into it, should be great fun to explore it a lot.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe

Ragequit posted:

what other podcasts heavy on goofiness/comedy are recommended?

Never gonna not recommend Nerd Poker. Between the 4 main self published campaigns, the 130+ bonus episodes on Patreon, and the original campaigns at Earwolf, it's been going since 2012-ish. Don't listen if you're a rules lawyer.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

One Legged Ninja posted:

Never gonna not recommend Nerd Poker. Between the 4 main self published campaigns, the 130+ bonus episodes on Patreon, and the original campaigns at Earwolf, it's been going since 2012-ish. Don't listen if you're a rules lawyer.

hell yes ... I didn't realize this was extant. the old episodes are loving golden, and I'm glad to hear it continued

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Gray Ghost posted:

So, question: my 6 players and I just started up a Witchlight campaign; one of my players is playing a barbarian and expressed the fear that she won’t have a lot of utility outside of combat.

How crazy would it be to allow one use of her Rage to grant her advantage on a single Skill check in which she’s proficient?

It certainly wouldn't be broken, if you're worried about that. I'd also suggest checking out the Tasha's supplement, which included some minor buffs to Barbarian such as Primal Knowledge, which gives them an additional skill proficiency at level 3 and 10. Skill checks are great and can help even the playing field in a lot of ways, particularly with ones that are as physical as Animal Handling, Athletics, Intimidation, Nature, Perception, and Survival.

https://blackcitadelrpg.com/skill-checks-5e/

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Rythian posted:

I don't know if you want to know or not, but some of that is RAW, some of that is definitely homemade. Good on your DM for adding some cool stuff for you to interact with! I say definitely lean into it, should be great fun to explore it a lot.

Yeah, I assume the serpent is something that was added by the DM. It's gonna be interesting to see what can be done about it, later in the campaign. Since ideally I'd like to displace it from the lake (preferably just transporting it to the open sea somehow, but that's definitely not feasible) or trap it somehow, like if there's an underwater cavern or something. At worst we could fight it I suppose, but that's gonna be a real bad time... Should be an interesting challenge to resolve, anyway!

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Speaking of actual play podcasts, can someone recommend a good one that isn't comedy? Doesn't mean it should be Super Serious Never Laugh Grimdark Roleplaying Hour or anything, just one where laughs aren't the main goal. I'm a bit burnt out on goofy shenanigans.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.

Guildencrantz posted:

Speaking of actual play podcasts, can someone recommend a good one that isn't comedy? Doesn't mean it should be Super Serious Never Laugh Grimdark Roleplaying Hour or anything, just one where laughs aren't the main goal. I'm a bit burnt out on goofy shenanigans.

Encounter Party by a country mile

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Ragequit posted:

I followed all of the podcasts mentioned, so thank you all for the great suggestions. I kicked things off with Dungeons and Daddies. The moment they all took psychic damage because someone in the party made a dad joke, and then psychic damage again (almost downing one of the players) because someone tried to explain the dad joke, I knew I was in the right place. Can’t wait to see where this goes.

I've never heard an actual play podcast get off the ground faster. Love 'em.

Guildencrantz posted:

Friends at the Table has some genuinely good moments and pretty satisfying overall development. They play a few different systems, but it's mostly Powered by the Apocalypse or Forged in the Dark. The first season has abysmal audio, but I really enjoyed the story despite that. The only reason I fell off FatT was that their narratives trends towards Hard Choices and Characters Making Sacrifices, which is completely legit and they do it well, it just ended up being a bit much for me during my work commute. My friend reports that they're still quite good.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Seconding Friends at the Table, they do make jokes sometimes but the focus is on characterization and drama.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
FatT's Partizan season loving slaps. I recommend everyone listen to it

Also Critical Role is probably closer to like 50/50 split of drama/comedy. But when they do drama those theater kids lean all the way in.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Isn't FatT the podcast that inspired Griffen McElroy to dedicate the first nine hours of TAZ's current arc to worldbuilding exposition? Because if it is I'm taking a hard pass on it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

FatT used The Quiet Year to establish a setting for their third (?) arc, although they did it in less time than the Adventure Zone did. Also the Quiet Year is a fantastic tool for establishing a home base at the beginning of a campaign.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

KingKalamari posted:

Isn't FatT the podcast that inspired Griffen McElroy to dedicate the first nine hours of TAZ's current arc to worldbuilding exposition? Because if it is I'm taking a hard pass on it.

Maybe, as yeah, FatT does world building stuff before their major seasons, but Like for Partizan that was the Road to Partizan, which you could just skip, and just start at episode 1 if world building and talking through character building isn't for you.

I dunno, as I've never really liked TAZ

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guildencrantz posted:

High Rollers is lightly serious, one player has a sort of comic relief character (a foppish, clueless elven noble), but that's in the context of a party that otherwise takes themselves quite seriously, as the DM does with the world. Players make sarcastic jokes and quips to each other but the actual play is the focus. General premise for the current "season" (it's like 3 and a half years going) is that the world the game is set on is sealed off from the rest of the multiverse following an invasion from the Astral Sea, and the survivors of an airship crash are caught up in a conspiracy surrounding the return of the invaders.

It is very much in the vein of "this is our actual D&D game", you occasionally get episodes which are just one huge long combat, and episodes where they end up just shopping, so I guess be warned about that.

First episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tFVR96qCHA (There's a podcast version available)

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
We had some issues with Conjure Animals at our table this last week. Druid has been using it to summon 1 thing that gets ganked immediately and decides to try summoning 8 things, DM rolls randomly and gives him panthers. This is in a fight where there are around 9 enemies, so this was really equalizing action economy, not turning an encounter into 12 on 1 or anything. Player is running them really fast and efficiently but after they gang up on one enemy, DM says “I will never let you summon 8 again, I’m capping this at 4.” Next round, player wants a Panther to pounce attack an enemy they’re right next to (so the Panther would have to back up, maybe taking an AoO) and DM says “no that’s bullshit, a Panther would never do that, it can only attack in place.” Since the spell text says the spirits follow your verbal commands I felt like this was a heavy handed ruling, but at least one other player agrees with the DM and thinks any summons should ignore dangerous commands. I feel like invoking preservation instinct is a weird idea for spirits that will disappear in a hour at most anyway, and that it will also be really hard to apply consistently through a campaign. Has this kind of thing come up at any of your tables and were you able to resolve things in a good way?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I think the DM is in the right on that particular ruling, though they are dealing with the overall situation badly.

To elaborate, the animals have animal intelligence and while they are cooperative, taking a step back against a hostile enemy which necessarily involves exposing itself is not something that an angry predatory animal will generally do when actively engaged in a fight. They're just going to bite and claw because that's how animals behave in a fight. They're fey spirits but that's not really relevant because they're supposed to act like the animal. Besides, them being fey spirits is basically just there so that people won't feel bad about sending real animals to their deaths whenever they cast the spell.

That said, your DM needs to have an adult conversation with the player about how they're going to use Conjure Animals and they both need to agree on a baseline for how it will work. It seems like the DM is getting frustrated with the player either trying to cheese things or slowing everything down with a three ring circus, and a good DM will be able to adapt to that. The player seems to think that the animals should be able to follow complex commands, which seems dubious to me but seems more a DM discretion thing. I don't think there's a "right" answer to how to handle this and it's something they'll need to negotiate themselves unfortunately.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
“A panther would never pounce attack, only attack in place” is some funny logic

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It sucks that the DM reacted so negatively to the first time a player figured out how to use the spell effectively. The issue of course with Conjure Animals is that there's a huge variability in its combat power and its oversight is shared between player and DM. Conflict is just really inherent to it. The newer versions of conjuration spells (like Summon Beast or the other Tasha's spells) have a much more limited array of possibilities. I'd just suggest switching to them rather than continuing the conflict.

https://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/summoning/

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
I just feel like consistency from the DM is going to be hard to come by - in this same encounter, the enemies had trained giant wasps that all fought to the death. We fought a person with a trained dog earlier - if they send the dog past our front line to attack our wizard, can we say “no, the dog isn’t that smart, it should attack the closest one of us”? I think a big use of summoned animals would be to soak reactions to free up player movement, but can the DM veto that and say the Panther would never do that? I don’t think any argument about training makes sense as the spirit beasts explicitly obey your commands and seem like they are as trained as anything could be to me.

Arguing that “pounce on that guy” is too complex when it’s like the one thing on their stat block seems weird to me. If you had a panther summon and walked up to a chasm, and jumped over and told the panther to jump over too, and then the DM said the panther would fall to its death because it couldn’t understand it should back up to get a running start, and it could only jump from where it was, wouldn’t that be weird? I’d expect anything with a special move to know how to do it (and probably prefer to attack that way)

DM is pretty new to DMing and they’re having some issues, so I’m not going to harp on this to them, I want them and everyone to have fun. I’m a little worried that they want encounters to play out a specific way and we might see more reactionary house rules every time a player subverts the sacred timeline.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kaal posted:

It sucks that the DM reacted so negatively to the first time a player figured out how to use the spell effectively. The issue of course with Conjure Animals is that there's a huge variability in its combat power and its oversight is shared between player and DM. Conflict is just really inherent to it. The newer versions of conjuration spells (like Summon Beast or the other Tasha's spells) have a much more limited array of possibilities. I'd just suggest switching to them rather than continuing the conflict.

https://rpgbot.net/dnd5/characters/summoning/

Or you could get rid of the variability by letting them use the 3.5 edition summoning spells :getin:

quote:

Summon Nature’s Ally

Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect: One summoned creature
Duration: 1 round/level (D)
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell summons a natural creature. It appears where you designate and acts immediately, on your turn. It attacks your opponents to the best of its ability. If you can communicate with the creature, you can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions.

A summoned monster cannot summon or otherwise conjure another creature, nor can it use any teleportation or planar travel abilities. Creatures cannot be summoned into an environment that cannot support them.

The spell conjures one of the creatures from the list on the accompanying Summon Nature’s Ally table. You choose which kind of creature to summon, and you can change that choice each time you cast the spell. All the creatures on the table are neutral unless otherwise noted.

quote:

Unicorn [CG]
Xorn, minor
Elemental, Large (any)
Janni (genie)
Satyr [CN; with pipes]
Nixie (sprite)
Whale, orca (animal)
Elasmosaurus (dinosaur)
Pixie (sprite) [NG; with sleep arrows]
Djinni (genie) [NG]
Tyrannosaurus (dinosaur)
Grig [NG; with fiddle] (sprite)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

For what it's worth I don't think that the player did anything wrong, but it's a common sticking point of a spell.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I can get behind a DM limiting how a spell like conjure animals is used, especially if you’re summoning 8 creatures at a time. That sounds nightmarish to run! And I think his logic for how to run the panthers makes sense too, but he could have worded it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I think the DM was annoyed they broke the combat system and started making nit-picky calls. It happens, DMs are human too