Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

did you all see the Texas thing? they’re going to send CPS after the parents of trans kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Good soup! posted:

We took a trip away from the little one and had the grandparents watch her for a weekend and it feels like in the three days we were gone her ability to dash and run has gone up considerably, it's crazy to see how fast they learn

the best thing is when you send them off to toddler school and they come home the first day doing all kinds of new stuff that they were adamant was impossible for them the day before, like zipping their pants up and putting plates in the sink

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i haven't not seen my kids from sun up to sundown for two years straight.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

yeah they often need other people to make jumps.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Yeah I miss baby school.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Bar Ran Dun posted:

did you all see the Texas thing? they’re going to send CPS after the parents of trans kids.

its hosed up and infuriating and it makes me fearful for the safety of my trans friend who is getting married soon and planning to have kids

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

This sounds unhealthy for everyone involved

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

before covid, i had been depressed for years because my lovely underpaid fulltime job had caused me to miss so many of my kids' developmental milestones and i was getting desperate for something to change. then covid answered my pleas like a monkey's paw and suddenly i was never able to get away from the kids ever lol

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

before covid, i had been depressed for years because my lovely underpaid fulltime job had caused me to miss so many of my kids' developmental milestones and i was getting desperate for something to change. then covid answered my pleas like a monkey's paw and suddenly i was never able to get away from the kids ever lol

Yeah, I barely got to see my kids when I got home thirty minutes before bedtime, now I get to spend all day yelling at them to shut up so I can work.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

PerniciousKnid posted:

Anything my 4yo dislikes "tastes like dirt."

my son use to describe multiple things as "spicy"

like anything that was hot (temperature not just spice) was spicy
and any carbonated drink was also spicy

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

they want to kill trans kids and it’s going to work, there’s no way it’s not already working really

my kids have never been to my hometown (nothing special but they want to visit) and now i am never going to take them there. likely, i will never go back there myself sans kids

LonsomeSon has issued a correction as of 20:44 on Feb 24, 2022

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

The Nastier Nate posted:

My kids insist on spicy lemonade (sierra mist) whenever we're at the costco food court. It's fuckin adorable and I'll call it spicy lemonade forever.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

The flip is that anything he likes "tastes like watermelon."

Edit: man I miss the food court

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

remember when a game came out and you could just play it as much as you wanted because you didn't have kids

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

that was so sick

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I passed on elden ring for that exact reason

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I'm just now getting to check out Disco Elysium. A half hour a night. :negative:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

When my toddler was just over a year old and barely starting to form words she took a bite of my friend's challah, looked at the room and said "This is good!" Fair enough, he is an ace baker and it was really good and she probably heard one of us say it a bit earlier. She never said it about my baking, but hey, it was a weird one-off.

A few months later, getting better at using words but still limited vocabulary and one at a time, says "This is good!" about store-bought bread. Okay, sure, she's feeling out sentences, probably remembers that one from the first time. A bit insulting to my baking, but again, just a weird one-off.

Now she's about 20 months, starting to work with basic 2 word sentences and she still hasn't said "This is good" for any of my loaves. She has yet to string more than two words together on any other topic, and she will repeat "Bread bread bread" and refuse to eat anything else after I bake, but I'm starting to feel slighted regardless.

The clock is ticking. If she isn't moved to say "This is good" about my bread before she's regularly using coherent sentences anyway my ego will never recover.

kecske posted:

same :unsmith:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

kecske posted:

Same but I passed on a buying a ps5.

My kid had to dress up like thier favorite character from a book for school today and mine dressed up as Jon Arbuckle. It's hilarious but I need to get this kid reading some better books.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

She's interested in the Ukraine war so I'm wondering if 11 is too young for Slaughterhouse-Five. I think I was about that age when I first read it.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

The clock is ticking. If she isn't moved to say "This is good" about my bread before she's regularly using coherent sentences anyway my ego will never recover.

Disown that little tyrant

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Event better, put her up for adoption

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
yesterday my kids were wrapped in a blanket watching tv with each other and my older one says to his brother "brother, I love you" out of nowhere and it's so striking how affectionate they are with each other compared to my siblings growing up.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

yesterday my kids were wrapped in a blanket watching tv with each other and my older one says to his brother "brother, I love you" out of nowhere and it's so striking how affectionate they are with each other compared to my siblings growing up.

Well our generation also doesn't need commercials every night at 9pm to remind us to check and make sure we know where our kids are, and to not hit our kids. Unlike those who raised us. Millennial households seem way more attentive and caring.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Another Bill posted:

She's interested in the Ukraine war so I'm wondering if 11 is too young for Slaughterhouse-Five. I think I was about that age when I first read it.

first, I insist you get the Ryan North graphic novel interpretation

second, it’s based on Nazi propaganda about Dresden or whatever, so don’t let it sink in too deeply

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Big Mad Drongo posted:

excited to hear about this ego death trip!

Organic Lube User posted:

Well our generation also doesn't need commercials every night at 9pm to remind us to check and make sure we know where our kids are, and to not hit our kids. Unlike those who raised us. Millennial households seem way more attentive and caring.

our kids are fully comfortable talking about their own mental health, and are aware that they have options for seeking more help if they are struggling, mentally or emotionally

i was pretty loving old before i finally worked all of that out for myself, and had made some very bad choices in the meantime. my kids are growing up into a hellworld, but well before their brains are developed they have a range of tools at their disposal which make the kind of mistakes i made a lot less likely for them. it's a good start, i think. there are still a few years left, before the teenager is done with high school, so plenty of time

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
it helps to that you describe your feelings while they’re young

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

sonatinas posted:

it helps to that you describe your feelings while they’re young

My daughter is much more emotionally articulate than I ever have been, although sometimes it's just "I don't know why I started crying automatically." I've always stuffed my emotions into my toes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

LonsomeSon posted:

they have a range of tools at their disposal which make the kind of mistakes i made a lot less likely for them

this is basically my goal as a parent. it is so awesome to watch my kid navigate things with more clarity and grace than I did when I went through teenagehood

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Struensee posted:

Event better, put her up for adoption

I was gonna take this as an opportunity to improve my craft by perfecting my old staples and learning new recipes but this is a way better idea. Thanks!

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Another Bill posted:

I don't think 11 is too young for that book. Go for it!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ryan North’s graphic novel adaptation of Slaughterhouse Five is good too.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Speaking of literature, the three year old has really glommed on to the old book of fairy tales we got at an estate sale. Why yes I'll read the next one...

Oh.

Oh no.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Speaking of literature, the three year old has really glommed on to the old book of fairy tales we got at an estate sale. Why yes I'll read the next one...

Oh.

Oh no.

Lol. We've got a translation of Grimm Bros, and it's pretty dark going sometimes. Familiar stories suddenly derailing into weird revenge deaths (looking at you, Snow White) makes it hard to pick safe stories.

For nihilist fairy tales, I'd recommend The Death of the Little Hen from Brothers Grimm.

Hint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ3aiM8K6D0

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

go away job, child: elden ring

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

on the nights when my wife is too exhausted to do bedtime with the kids it's actually faster and easier than when we both help. both kids want time with "mom cuddles" but neither of them are at all interested in my bony rear end in their bed so I just read a chapter from a book then kill the lights and they go to sleep.

like it's sort of insulting that they don't like "dad cuddles" but I'll take it I suppose.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Every night in our house is a fight over who gets to have momma put them to bed. Definitely doesn't cut deep when it's shouting match about "no you have to go with Daddy tonight!"

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
My son always screams and cries when the answer to the nervously asked question "who's tucking me in tonight?" is dad. All I'm good for is roughhousing and pushing on the swing, it seems.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

having your own kids innocently diss you is one of the great joys of parenting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
With me it's the opposite where my daughter tends to want dad for comfort. Plus I'm the one who can and will hoist her increasingly heavy rear end and carry her for a while. Having a screaming 18 month old yell NO at my wife and run at me with her arms out has definitely stabbed knives into my wife's soul a few times.