Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

leper khan posted:

I really wish DEI efforts would focus more on the upstream stuff. I don't see how you're going to make meaningful progress without changing the demographics of the candidate pool.

You have to change the experiences for people to convince others to jump into that pipeline. Otherwise, all the recruitment and Girls Code and other efforts are going to fall flat.

redleader posted:

i hate them because i can't remember any of that poo poo. if it happened more than a week ago, it's gone from my brain

Same here. I absolutely loathe these questions, primarily because my memory is absolute garbage.

"Tell me about a challenging project you worked on" idk man, what should I tell you? The actual engineering was like 1 month but all of the back and forth and UX changes and scope changes made it almost a year, and in the end the entire project got thrown out for political reasons. Do I tell you about learning that the PM left halfway through and wasn't replaced until the last month? I can't even remember what I did last week, and you want me to tell you about things I've specifically tried to wash out with alcohol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I feel like there’s some huge disconnect between the people who like or don’t mind using behavioral interviewing and those of us who absolutely hate it. It’s like we experience it in completely different ways or something, and I have no idea how to explain just how much it sucks to somebody who has no problem with it.

e: For the record, I’ve been a professional programmer for ~15 years, know my poo poo, and everyone I’ve worked with has nothing but good things to say, but anytime I have to do a behavioral interview I feel like a gibbering incompetent fraud and it really loving sucks.

chglcu fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 19, 2022

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Google the most common questions. Generically or tailored to your targets. There's usually enough overlap that the top 5-10 is good for basically anything you might get

Google the STAR framework for how to make your answers cohesive.

Write out answers on a piece of paper using said framework.

Practice saying them out loud at least once. The less comfortable you are at speaking the more practice you should do.

You can just use your notes in an interview, probably just writing them down will make them fresh enough. This is what people who are good at those questions do.

Compared to all the other interview circus tricks and leetcode bullshit, it's super easy.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

Compared to all the other interview circus tricks and leetcode bullshit, it's super easy.

It's worth remembering that the bar for the 'talky' questions really isn't that high. If you can string together a coherent, short story about a situation that was similar, and, importantly, how you solved it, that's pretty much it. For experienced developers, you should be able to find some similar examples in your past to borrow from. If you embellish a bit, that's fine, but don't outright lie.

Most tech jobs are well over 50% dealing with people and communicating effectively. Nobody cares if you're a code ninja if you have an off-putting personality or can't relate well to others.

Meanwhile, even though most tech jobs are more about parsing requirements, communication, and understanding how to navigate large/complex systems, the industry has adopted LeetCode nonsense where you need to remember obscure DS&A tricks that you'll never use again once you're hired.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

B-Nasty posted:

Meanwhile, even though most tech jobs are more about parsing requirements, communication, and understanding how to navigate large/complex systems, the industry has adopted LeetCode nonsense where you need to remember obscure DS&A tricks that you'll never use again once you're hired.

And the frustrating part is a lot of people realize the shortcomings of focusing on leetcodes but they just continue to interview like this. In the end, I suppose if this process produced them then it can't be that bad right?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Xguard86 posted:

Google the most common questions. Generically or tailored to your targets. There's usually enough overlap that the top 5-10 is good for basically anything you might get

Google the STAR framework for how to make your answers cohesive.

Write out answers on a piece of paper using said framework.

Practice saying them out loud at least once. The less comfortable you are at speaking the more practice you should do.

You can just use your notes in an interview, probably just writing them down will make them fresh enough. This is what people who are good at those questions do.

Do this and you’ll smoke behavioral interviews. It takes so much less time to prep for compared to the leetcode grind bullshit.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
For the record, the culture interview went surprisingly well, and didn't at all focus on their list of values. In fact they fully recognized their values were crazy and had cut them down to three platitudes that no longer conflicted. It seems like they "get it" and are limiting the fart huffing to HRs required minimum.

And I'm gonna get an offer, and I'm totally gonna take it

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Honest question here, despite what snark may be laced into the tone: I’m not quite sure why rehearsing the answers in advance to a behavioral question is better than just being able to plunk out Leetcode solutions from rote memory, which people widely view as being a poo poo feature of tech interviews. I’m not saying I have a better answer here, but… isn’t “just memorize the answers in advance” still bad regardless of the topic? Sure the search space is probably a lot smaller but… still. Aren’t you just biasing your hiring toward people who can tell good stories?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

For the record, the culture interview went surprisingly well, and didn't at all focus on their list of values. In fact they fully recognized their values were crazy and had cut them down to three platitudes that no longer conflicted. It seems like they "get it" and are limiting the fart huffing to HRs required minimum.

And I'm gonna get an offer, and I'm totally gonna take it

... after you push back asking for ~15% more. If you haven't yet, time to read the negotiation thread.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

fourwood posted:

Honest question here, despite what snark may be laced into the tone: I’m not quite sure why rehearsing the answers in advance to a behavioral question is better than just being able to plunk out Leetcode solutions from rote memory, which people widely view as being a poo poo feature of tech interviews. I’m not saying I have a better answer here, but… isn’t “just memorize the answers in advance” still bad regardless of the topic? Sure the search space is probably a lot smaller but… still. Aren’t you just biasing your hiring toward people who can tell good stories?

If you do it very well, you're not memorizing answers verbatim. You're refreshing yourself on ~4 candidate projects to answer the question in the STAR format. The rehearsal gives you the S explicitly, and refreshes you on the actions. The tactics are kind of bullshitting, and the results are whatever came of it.

Framing things well is a really valuable skill. If nothing else the behavioral stuff tests for that.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

leper khan posted:

... after you push back asking for ~15% more. If you haven't yet, time to read the negotiation thread.

My salary starts with a 2 and it's not by accident

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

:yeah:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Unfortunately, "2 Legit 2 Quit" isn't currently recognized as a form of payment.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fourwood posted:

Yeah like above said: it's not really about rote memorization but refreshing your memory and planning how to talk so someone else understands it.

"people who tell good stories" are good communicators, which is a very desirable skill. Often "communication" is right there on the rubric. So at least this actually tests something someone will have to do.

What I dislike is the x-examine or ask details until they break method because that is where "I don't remember stuff from 7 years ago" pops up, at least for me.

it's also so adversarial, I've had an interview or two with people I don't think I'd ever work with because I felt like I was on trial and can't imagine reporting to them. I think that practice started at Amazon, which tells you all you need to know.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I worked with some people who came from Amazon and everytime they started talking about interviews and reviews and bullshit like if you say no to a request you are reported to your boss I would just play the Spanish Inquisition song from History of the World Part 1.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Last week, I received a full time offer for about $105k/year. This is less than what I'm making now, but I thought the company was a good fit, so I accepted.

Today, I get an offer for a 1 year contract position (w2 contract: benefits but no pto) for about $75/hr. I'm shocked at this because I thought I bombed the interview. This is significantly more than I'm making now.

I'm thinking about accepting the contract position, but is that the best choice?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Make sure you take into account any benefits of the salaried position. Also keep in mind that you would have to manage withholding for taxes yourself unless it is via an agency that are handling all that.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Yea, it's a w2 contract.

I'm going through an agency that will do all the tax stuff and provide benefits.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Ither posted:

Last week, I received a full time offer for about $105k/year. This is less than what I'm making now, but I thought the company was a good fit, so I accepted.

Today, I get an offer for a 1 year contract position (w2 contract: benefits but no pto) for about $75/hr. I'm shocked at this because I thought I bombed the interview. This is significantly more than I'm making now.

I'm thinking about accepting the contract position, but is that the best choice?

A good recommendation I’ve heard is at least 1.5x as a contractor. I don’t think it‘s so cut and dry here that one necessarily more. Do you think the salaried place is a better fit? There’s pros and cons to each, one has a bigger number… or is it? What about medical insurance? Vision? Dental? No PTO? What’s pto worth to you? 401k match? Other Pretax benefits?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

mitztronic posted:

A good recommendation I’ve heard is at least 1.5x as a contractor. I don’t think it‘s so cut and dry here that one necessarily more. Do you think the salaried place is a better fit? There’s pros and cons to each, one has a bigger number… or is it? What about medical insurance? Vision? Dental? No PTO? What’s pto worth to you? 401k match? Other Pretax benefits?

The 1.5x guideline assume a 1099 contractor. I would expect lower for W2. The biggest expenses are going to be:

1. A 1099 contractor has to pay both sides of FICA which is an additional 7.65% up to $147k. A W2 contractor doesn't have to pay this addition.
2. Medical insurance. A W2 contractor may be provided medical insurance though you should actually compare plans to determine cost which can vary dependent on your risk and age. Also vision and dental.
3. PTO and 401k. Both of these vary and again a W2 contractor may be given them. Should be noted that most people will convert hourly to salary at 2000 hours which assumes 2 weeks vacation.
4. The time required to find another contract or job. For a 1099 contractor this is going to be assumed more than once a year. For a W2 contractor, it's a reasonable safe bet to assume it's the contract length. I wouldn't assume you'll be brought in full time though.

Given all this 105k salary to 75$/hr is likely a very significant boost unless one of the values is very outside the norm.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Welp I just got my new machine for my new job, and it appears to be a (used?) MacBook pro from 2019. New role is a senior software position, I’m a little confused about it. The hiring manager said they just got M1s, I was looking forward to trying one out.

Obviously there’s nothing inherently wrong with an 2019, but I even my personal machine is a 2020 (I wanted to grab the last intel mbp). I thought maybe their IT wanted to stick to intel but it’s not the 2020 so that’s not it. It seems weird to me to recycle a computer like this, so I’m holding hope it wasn’t. I can’t check the battery cycle count until Monday.

Anybody ever received an old unit for an engineering role? This is a first for me.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

mitztronic posted:

Welp I just got my new machine for my new job, and it appears to be a (used?) MacBook pro from 2019. New role is a senior software position, I’m a little confused about it. The hiring manager said they just got M1s, I was looking forward to trying one out.

Obviously there’s nothing inherently wrong with an 2019, but I even my personal machine is a 2020 (I wanted to grab the last intel mbp). I thought maybe their IT wanted to stick to intel but it’s not the 2020 so that’s not it. It seems weird to me to recycle a computer like this, so I’m holding hope it wasn’t. I can’t check the battery cycle count until Monday.

Anybody ever received an old unit for an engineering role? This is a first for me.

What's your issue exactly?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

mitztronic posted:

I got a used W530 when I started at a company in late 2013. It was fine.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

mitztronic posted:

I've never received a new computer for an engineering role. Check your company's computer upgrade policy. If you're having serious issues that are impacting your work, talk to your manager.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

mitztronic posted:

I got used MacBooks in my past three roles

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've only worked at megacorporations and regarding new hire equipment there, it has always been new. There's some paranoia about the older equipment.

I'd recommend trying to do one of the larger operations the job requires ASAP to see how long it takes on that old hardware. Like, a big compile or whatever. I can't speak to Mac hardware stuff, but I've seen situations where the older generation that was offered was better for engineering workstation stuff than the current generation that coveted power efficiency.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

mitztronic posted:

Is it the 16-inch? Those are fine machines.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I've only ever received an used macbook, because buying a new machine for every new hire would be hilarious stupid and wasteful, unless the headcount itself is new.

I usually request a PC though and I'd say 50/50 I get a new PC.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 23, 2022

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
MacBooks also have a prohibitive lead time right now. We can't get them within 2 weeks, so meeting the offer -> start date time frame is impossible. Everybody gets used unless we happen to have spares on hand.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

leper khan posted:

What's your issue exactly?

If your company wants to save a couple of thousand bucks of equipment for a position which commands $100k+ where else are they cutting corners?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Alternatively, if your company is throwing away recycled MacBooks and buying everything brand new all the time, what else are they wasting money on

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Alternatively, if your company is throwing away recycled MacBooks and buying everything brand new all the time, what else are they wasting money on

*Looks at ongoing multi million dollar boondoggle wasting dozens of engineers time and the year of misery it inflicted on me while I worked on it*

Well, at least they refreshed my MacBook

asur
Dec 28, 2012

champagne posting posted:

If your company wants to save a couple of thousand bucks of equipment for a position which commands $100k+ where else are they cutting corners?

Yes, let's just throw away perfectly usable equipment. It's not like our planet is dying due to over consumption.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Presumably they could be donated or given away?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

HappyHippo posted:

Presumably they could be donated or given away?

MacBooks retain their value for an absurd amount of time. They also work great even after many years. I have a 2013 MacBook Pro as a spare personal machine that can pretty much do anything I can do on my work laptop.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

since everyone is remote now the best policy would be to let the employees keep them after their refresh period. saves IT a ton of work and makes the employees happy on hire and on refresh date

i have never received old equipment for any job but if i got one now during the ongoing global supply chain fuckery i would not be too surprised

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I spent all ten years I worked at Experts Exchange using the computer the guy who had my desk before me had been using. I wonder how much bonus time I wasted during builds over those years!

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

They're just now replacing my 2015 because the battery is going balloon mode, with a slightly newer model off ebay

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

CPColin posted:

I spent all ten years I worked at Experts Exchange using the computer the guy who had my desk before me had been using. I wonder how much bonus time I wasted during builds over those years!

There's a name I haven't heard in a long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That company still exists and I have no idea how