Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I liked Ranjit, even if his motivations weren't the most fleshed out. He had a strong presence as the muscle for the baddies and worked well as a foil for Good Dad Thancred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
He just felt like an ARR Class Quest adversary to me. "Oh no, level 30 Dark Botanist, it's Ran'jit here again to settle the score!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
As was mentioned previously, his biggest issue was being an adversary for someone (Warrior of Light/Darkness) who has no real connection to him. Thancred is set up as his narrative foil, and they clash twice, but Square wanted to make sure players didn't feel slighted by having their character "defeated" by this guy and then Thancred beats him without giving them a rematch. Personally, I would've been fine with the idea that the Warrior of Light could beat this guy, but it'd be a challenging enough fight that it was a better idea to avoid him in the interest of time.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

If I have one complaint (and one nitpick) about Shadowbringers' antagonists, it's that (Level 81 - 88 things) Ran'jit suffers from a lack of direction. There's two sides to Ran'jit: the extremely dogged pursuer, and the sad man who doesn't want to see "Minfilia" die anymore in a fight he sees as pointless. Unfortunately, we're shown an absurd amount of the former and just told about the latter. If anything, it would've been nice if he was a dogged pursuer whenever "Minfilia" was involved because he has an intense desire to keep her out of harm's way, even at the cost of her personal freedom. It could've made him a more morally grey character who wants what's best for her, even though it's opposite of her desires for freedom. Instead he just is kinda like "Blah blah, exposition" and otherwise isn't terribly interesting. Amh Araeng visit #2 should've been the dad arc and focused on Thancred and Ran'jit both, with the latter maybe flashing back to some previous instances he spent with "Minfilia".

I wonder if they originally were going to go into Ran'jit's motivations but the editor scissors cut it out. I think something similar happened to Igeyorhm, the female Ascian in Heavensward.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Igeyorhm was just an ascian. They didn't have motivations beyond evil back then.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Igeyorhm was just an ascian. They didn't have motivations beyond evil back then.

Maybe, but if I recall correctly, they did not even have a scene where she introduces herself to the WoL. You learn her name from the Quest log.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Heavensward's development was a rough time, since the team had been running on all cylinders nearly since beginning the work to retool XIV into 2.0 and beyond. Igeyorhm and the Heavens' Ward all had a fair bit of characterization cut out for time, by SE's admission. Presumably they'd have done more with Igeyorhm being a mirror of Ysayle, trying to make up for past mistakes. Beyond lacking a proper introduction scene, it also wasn't until Shadowbringers that it was actually stated in-game what had happened with her; presumably, in the original draft we would have learned about her attempt at the first Rejoining on the Thirteenth gone wrong back in 3.0 and that probably would have more explicitly informed what they were doing with Thordan.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Not every narrative foil can be Fordola. I think Ranj'jit works fine as a mirror to Thancred. Even if he is still kinda shallow.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
who's fordola

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather have had Ran'jit run away after being defeated by the WoL and then later have him get killed by Thancred to close out the opposing dads arc.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I’m gonna say in part the issue is that they cut a specific dungeon from the climax that would have helped Ran’jit’s whole deal.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
What dungeon did they cut?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

CJ posted:

Eulmore.

It was basically Eulmore or Mt Gulg as far as I understand it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mt. Gulg rules and Ran'jit was never terribly interesting so they made the right choice.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
There were 9 dungeons planned for launch and we ended up with 8.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Arist posted:

Mt. Gulg rules and Ran'jit was never terribly interesting so they made the right choice.

You would hope the cut dungeon would've helped Ran'jit be interesting though.

They did make the right choice regardless, Mt Gulg is way more important as a dungeon imo and the repurposed solo duty that Eulmore became works fine for the story as is.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Literally every time Ran'jit shows up I'm like ughghh, at least big Z has the benefit of being absolutely batshit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lord_Magmar posted:

Being a boss of a 4 man instance instead of a solo instance would not have done much more characterization than what we got. He would have gotten what? A splash title card? A slightly longer cutscene where he falls down dead? Because the scene with Vauthry after that is way more important and would have been placed at the end of the dungeon so Ranjit's fight wouldn't have been expanded that much without sacrificing all pacing.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Lord_Magmar posted:

They did make the right choice regardless, Mt Gulg is way more important as a dungeon imo and the repurposed solo duty that Eulmore became works fine for the story as is.

How do you suppose a dungeon with him as the final boss would make him more interesting than the solo duty we got?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Pwnstar posted:

Literally every time Ran'jit shows up I'm like ughghh, at least big Z has the benefit of being absolutely batshit.

:emptyquote:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he could have killed Vladimir Darkblood the male aura reaper which would have at least been funny

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

CJ posted:

How do you suppose a dungeon with him as the final boss would make him more interesting than the solo duty we got?

That's why I said you would hope, not that it was a guarantee, and that they made the right choice going with Mt Gulg.

The improvements would simply be giving him a bit more room to breathe and go over the Minfilia stuff via dungeon voice over mostly.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
Ran'jit's unquestioning loyalty to Vauthry and his cannibalism paradise is the foil to the WoL's unquestioning loyalty to Alphinaud and his terrible Crystal Braves endeavor, HTH :v:

(I'm 80% joking, but given how Alphinaud saw his pre-Braves self in Vauthry--at least before it became abundantly clear to him that Vauthry was only ever out for himself--I wouldn't be surprised if a double-foil dynamic got batted around as an idea for Ran'jit's place in the story at some point during ShB development.)

Bloody Emissary fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 24, 2022

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
alright so(shadowbringers) just fought ran'jit as thancred. ranjit's still alive right. he has to go down in a cooler way i feel like

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CJ posted:

You remember that one really long solo duty that had like two or three boss fights and it really felt like a dungeon?

That was it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

CJ posted:

Remember that bit in the ShB trailer with Thancred freeing Minifilia from underneath Eulmore?

That area would have shown up as a dungeon, iirc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/GrapplerMoods/status/1496622978255101961/photo/1

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lol

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Remember that bit in the ShB trailer with Thancred freeing Minifilia from underneath Eulmore?

That area would have shown up as a dungeon, iirc.

what if it's been repurposed into the criterion collection dungeons

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
For those who follow Zepla, she's made it out of Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/Xepla/status/1496878756882964484

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

HackensackBackpack posted:

For those who follow Zepla, she's made it out of Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/Xepla/status/1496878756882964484

Yeah I was up late last night. I've never watched her streams just a few videos but I was worried for her and her furbabies.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Reunions abound in the Heavensward LP

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

CJ posted:

We might get at least one dumb meme from him if we're forced to see him all the time in leveling roulette and hear him yell the same lines for the umpteenth time, so he'd be remembered fondly for that instead of his actual boring self.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lightrook posted:

We might get at least one dumb meme from him if we're forced to see him all the time in leveling roulette and hear him yell the same lines for the umpteenth time, so he'd be remembered fondly for that instead of his actual boring self.

sloppeh

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Started Shadowbringers and completed Alisaie's side first and that was horrifying.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Electric Phantasm posted:

Started Shadowbringers and completed Alisaie's side first and that was horrifying.

Welcome to Shadowbringers.

:unsmigghh:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/InfantQueenBee/status/1496985966082506755

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Electric Phantasm posted:

ngl i had to look away for most of That Bit

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thundarr posted:

Welcome to Shadowbringers.

:unsmigghh:

The worst part is I was expecting something hosed up to happen, like that random sin eater you fight turning out to be the kid you're looking for, but my expectations were shattered in a real horrific way.

Reminded me of that one cutscene in Twilight Princess.

Ciaphas posted:

ngl i had to look away for most of That Bit

I think it wouldn't have been too bad by itself but the cuts to the kid not reacting to any this at all made it incredibly unnerving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

At least Alphinaud’s half has some (mostly dark) comic relief