Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
nvm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
https://mobile.twitter.com/ArkadyOstrovsky/status/1496591824445706244

https://mobile.twitter.com/Andy_Scollick/status/1496538301167292424
I vouch for these. It'd be a horror show.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

At least Kharkov has experience completely rebuilding itself after a massive battle followed by ethnic cleansing.

Ugh. And to everyone saying Zelensky should just ask Putin to name his price, gently caress off with that nonsense. The only way Ukraine doesn't get the clock turned back to 1985 (or 1920) is to make the experience as painful, long, and expensive for Russia as possible.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Its not like you can evacuate Kharkov now anyways. It is a city of over 1 million people, you can't empty that in 48 hours and they need the roads open for their army to go to the front line.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I hate asking this question but what are the chances that Ukraine can even afflict enough losses against Russia to make them withdraw or force a peace? Is there even a path to victory military for Ukraine?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Mooseontheloose posted:

I hate asking this question but what are the chances that Ukraine can even afflict enough losses against Russia to make them withdraw or force a peace? Is there even a path to victory military for Ukraine?

Zero.

ED: Ukraine military didn't even mobilize. If Russia attacks tonight, they could conceivably go after all urban centers east of the Dnieper including Kyiv under the logic that they're under-garrisoned.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Ya the only "win" possible is to make things extremely painful and drawn out for Russia and hope for internal and external pressures to take their toll. On a long enough time scale, Russian supremacy in indirect fire and air force are going to make a straight-forward fight basically unwinnable.

It's always possible that Russia has some military disasters that make a military victory for them not possible, but Russia isn't going to "lose" a full war if that's where this goes.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 23, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ukraine's really grim strategic calculus is that the longer it can keep fighting the more the West will be shamed into more and more forceful sanctions.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, Russia has this in the bag. They already moved up a lot of artillery into the Donbas oblast. If they act it's gonna be bad for the Ukrainian military

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Russian EW going up in Donbass.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, setting aside any specifics of this situation, asking why the side that's going to lose a war still fights it strikes at the very heart of why wars happen at all. There's more going on that can be solved by just having someone audit the armies and decide who would win on paper.

Sheer inertia alone means that nobody (at least on the Ukrainian side) can stop a ton of violence from happening in the near future even if that was their singular their goal. That's part of what makes things like huge geopolitical alliances and strategic weapons so scary, because they have their own momentum and don't react like the perfectly rational game theory actors that politicians and war-planners occasionally treat them as.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Yeah the best case scenario is to force the Russians into urban combat and make them go block by block clearing out the opposition. And this best case is essentially hell on earth and you can imagine what will happen to civilians caught in the middle.

Like that twitter guy said, Aleppo or Grozny

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Alchenar posted:

Ukraine's really grim strategic calculus is that the longer it can keep fighting the more the West will be shamed into more and more forceful sanctions.

This should be paired with evacuations of people that will be most harmed by Russian occupation. If NATO can't fight then they should at least have to take responsibility for the refugees.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I feel like im dissociating lol

Million of people i care about are going to get slaughtered in like the next week and there's absolutely nothing i can do but watch

I don't even get to know that the cavalry's coming because the cavalry has explicitly and specifically decided that who cares about a few stupid slavs having a fight

That would in most universes be me over there about to get gutted lol

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

quarantinethepast posted:

This should be paired with evacuations of people that will be most harmed by Russian occupation. If NATO can't fight then they should at least have to take responsibility for the refugees.

Poland already largely opened their borders and the US 82nd was put into place to help with possible evacuees coming across.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

My subjective feeling is that Putin’s dictatorship has a strong enough stranglehold on civic liberties that no amount of military casualties does pose a serious threat to him. It largely depends on what goals and tactics will be pursued.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

CommieGIR posted:

Poland already largely opened their borders and the US 82nd was put into place to help with possible evacuees coming across.

To expand on this, can NATO intervene perhaps in a very targeted way to say "we're going to hold down this area in Ukraine to aid evacuations and will only attack for self-protection"? If that makes any sense.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That's what Poland has been setting up to do.

The Arab spring was the first series of conficts in which social media played a really big part but sharing was mostly confined to the region. The thing that's going to make this war feel really different for Americans/Europeans is that I expect Tiktok et al is going to be absolutely flooded with war imagery aimed at us.

I don't think this war is going to be quietly ignorable for the West in the way that most people have no idea what Russia has done in Syria. I think this is the one where the West finally develops a popular consensus around drawing a line and digging in to do what it takes to contest Russia.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019
All this tragedy and misery because one broken idiot wants a stupid outdated empire.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
:siren: AS A REMINDER: IF VIOLENCE KICKS OFF YOU MUST SPOILER AND NMS/NWS TAG ANY VIOLENT IMAGERY OR VIDEO :siren:

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

To expand on this, can NATO intervene perhaps in a very targeted way to say "we're going to hold down this area in Ukraine to aid evacuations and will only attack for self-protection"? If that makes any sense.

I highly doubt they would do that, but of all the ways NATO forces could end up in Ukraine this is the only one I could see happening. It would be extremely risky and NATO would have to tell Russia right now they intended to do this, and make some gesture proving that it is indeed only for evacuations and not military support.

And for the sake of showing where the spectrum is, that was a reasonable though unlikely idea, and then there's this:

https://twitter.com/MrGeorgeWallace/status/1496599704309665792

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

They "can" do anything.

They won't. The US declared that they'll abandon American citizens still in Ukraine. NATO will not intervene to create safe zones for non-NATO citizens.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

They "can" do anything.

They won't. The US declared that they'll abandon American citizens still in Ukraine. NATO will not intervene to create safe zones for non-NATO citizens.

Yeah, the US was calling citizen in Ukraine in person a couple weeks back pushing them to leave and make travel plans, even offering free travel to GTFO.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

My subjective feeling is that Putin’s dictatorship has a strong enough stranglehold on civic liberties that no amount of military casualties does pose a serious threat to him. It largely depends on what goals and tactics will be pursued.

At the same time, any failures on the battlefield will be internalized by Putin. He'll blame things on his commanders, his troops, and his sycophants, but at the end of the day, he's going to withdrawal and isolate himself to escape from all the "incompetence". It may also aggravate any possible medical issues like his rumored Parkinson's.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Young Freud posted:

At the same time, any failures on the battlefield will be internalized by Putin. He'll blame things on his commanders, his troops, and his sycophants, but at the end of the day, he's going to withdrawal and isolate himself to escape from all the "incompetence". It may also aggravate any possible medical issues like his rumored Parkinson's.

Username/Post combo.

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1496607723768668162
EW going up as previously mentioned.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseontheloose posted:

ukraine has a pretty stout military. they've been resisting "russian" fighting for years now. russia overmatches ukraine in terms of sheer combat power but ukraine definitely can give russia some serious counterblows - probably not enough to cause russia to back off, but definitely enough to make russia bleed. part of what makes this crisis so chaotic is that it isn't going to be a clear imbalance like the coalition in iraq 1991, any serious fighting is going to happen in urban areas which means stacks of dead troops on both sides and an even higher stack of dead civilians

the only one right now who can control the level of violence is putin, it depends on how far he wants to push and how many corpses he's willing to create to get there

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

CommieGIR posted:

:siren: AS A REMINDER: IF VIOLENCE KICKS OFF YOU MUST SPOILER AND NMS/NWS TAG ANY VIOLENT IMAGERY OR VIDEO :siren:

Can you put this in the title as well, I doubt everyone is going the read the OP and if war kicks off this thread is going to start moving a mile a minute.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

GABA ghoul posted:

Putin is gonna go down in history as a butcher

Not if he can dispose of the evidence.
https://twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/1496585861110059009?t=Ew1Mt38SS0HW55_iTX-lww&s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kamrat posted:

Can you put this in the title as well, I doubt everyone is going the read the OP and if war kicks off this thread is going to start moving a mile a minute.

Sadly I doubt that it'll fit.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

projecthalaxy posted:

Million of people i care about are going to get slaughtered in like the next week and there's absolutely nothing i can do but watch

I don't even get to know that the cavalry's coming because the cavalry has explicitly and specifically decided that who cares about a few stupid slavs having a fight

This sucks, horribly, and isn't the way that anyone had hoped it played out, even with a Russian invasion. My SO's family has been waiting for an evac car from Odessa to Moldova for days and it might be a few more days possibly. Peripherally watching their demeanor go from "eh, it's Russia" to their current state has been anxiety inducing. Let's just hope that Putin intends to keep this military v military like everyone believes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kamrat posted:

Tagging NSFW stuff is a forum rule anyway, and there are people talking about this in multiple threads. It might be worth a forum sticky for a bit 'Don't post pictures of headless bodies you morons'.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 23, 2022

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

CommieGIR posted:

Sadly I doubt that it'll fit.

maybe just "TAG ANY VIOLENT IMAGERY OR VIDEO"?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

projecthalaxy posted:

poo poo loving sucks man and I'm sorry :smith:

there has been speculation that lviv might be functionally considered in the nato sphere to the point of being defended, but i don't think that is super likely either

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 23, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mr. Apollo posted:

maybe just "TAG ANY VIOLENT IMAGERY OR VIDEO"?

I've added !!READ OP WARNING!! to the title. hopefully that'll get people's attention

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

No, they cannot. At the very least not until, as horrifying as it is to type this out, Putin Aleppoifies a couple of major Ukrainian cities, if at all.

Ukraines heaviest hitting out, continuing this grim logic, is to cause Russians overreact with violence so vast that Western politicians are pressured to get enough economic nukes out that there’s a military-backed oligarch coup in Russia, under pretext that the Caesar has gone senile.

Words cannot really describe this situation, at all.

projecthalaxy posted:

Мои соболезнования. Прикидываться не буду, что понимаю каково это, как и не помогает то что осталась лишь тусклая надежда, что мне за Европу не станет ещё более стыдно чем сейчас. Но на данный момент не остаётся ничего иного как крепиться духом, и встречать супостата с поднятой головой. Опять же, легко мне говорить, но резона я не вижу ожидать от него какого-либо снисхождения, коль повернуться к нему спиной.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

ukraine has a pretty stout military. they've been resisting "russian" fighting for years now. russia overmatches ukraine in terms of sheer combat power but ukraine definitely can give russia some serious counterblows - probably not enough to cause russia to back off, but definitely enough to make russia bleed. part of what makes this crisis so chaotic is that it isn't going to be a clear imbalance like the coalition in iraq 1991, any serious fighting is going to happen in urban areas which means stacks of dead troops on both sides and an even higher stack of dead civilians

the only one right now who can control the level of violence is putin, it depends on how far he wants to push and how many corpses he's willing to create to get there

so what are the chances of this being a bloody occupation and turning into another Afghanistan for Russia where everyone pumps weapons into the various resistance groups. because i feel like that will be worse for the russians then anything. most of their recent wars were them taking relatively russia friendly territories against smaller countries with shorter notice or being merc/military support for assad.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/ScottMStedman/status/1496612163506479105

This should be interesting.

Putin's been hiding bodies for 8 years. Russian families complained about this when the conflict in Donbass started.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

'It's ridiculous and hyperbolic to compare Putin to Hitler'

*invades Ukraine with mobile crematoria*

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Alchenar posted:

'It's ridiculous and hyperbolic to compare Putin to Hitler'

*invades Ukraine with mobile crematoria*

It is ridiculous. People bothered to stop Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Slightly related:

https://twitter.com/Still_Fast/status/1496600826655408128?s=20&t=0jsl0YwSuW3ezhnK4Yu4Ig