Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Most of goldens additions are a flat downgrade. Marie is absolute irredeemable garbage as both a character and plot device. Her dungeon is dumb as all gently caress, the garden is tedious busywork, adachis link is a cool idea but it's executed poorly, and most the story additions like the bikes and the stupid concert feel more like a Disney channel original than a game about Jungian psychology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Wasn't Golden the first to allow people to pick what abilities transferred through fusion, instead of just forcing you to cancel / retry dozens of times until RNG worked in your favour?

Game of the Year.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

NikkolasKing posted:

Naoto apparently was just useless in the original.

Naoto wasn't useless, she was good for random trash since she learned light/dark and almighty skills. But since light/dark in P4 are just instant kill spells, it means she's really bad against bosses who are all immune to those, and almighty doesn't get you One More.

NikkolasKing posted:

As for story additions, Saki's brother is a P4G thing, right?

I'm not sure what you mean, Saki's brother is the Hanged Man Social link in vanilla P4. Unless they added him into the main plot in Golden, he's not a P4G thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Naoto wasn't useless, she was good for random trash since she learned light/dark and almighty skills. But since light/dark in P4 are just instant kill spells, it means she's really bad against bosses who are all immune to those, and almighty doesn't get you One More.

By the time you get Naoto, trash mobs have long since stopped being anything memorable or threatening so I think useless still describes her. You don't need an extra party member for all the nothing fights.

quote:

I'm not sure what you mean, Saki's brother is the Hanged Man Social link in vanilla P4. Unless they added him into the main plot in Golden, he's not a P4G thing.

My mistake then.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Wasn't Golden the first to allow people to pick what abilities transferred through fusion, instead of just forcing you to cancel / retry dozens of times until RNG worked in your favour?

Game of the Year.

It also (re-)introduced Skill Cards. Having played the P2 games after I played Nu Persona, I was shocked to see them in Eternal Punishment but then they're just gone in P3 and P4 for some reason. They are extremely good.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 23, 2022

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
I'll admit when I evaluate P4G I don't really weigh the gameplay changes because P4's difficulty is such that you can halfass most of the fusion stuff and still have everything you need to fly through everything except Margaret, so more options meant very little

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

NikkolasKing posted:

It also (re-)introduced Skill Cards. Having played the P2 games after I played Nu Persona, I was shocked to see them in Eternal Punishment but then they're just gone in P3 and P4 for some reason. They are extremely good.

P3P has them too and I found them slightly better there honestly

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Most of goldens additions are a flat downgrade. Marie is absolute irredeemable garbage as both a character and plot device. Her dungeon is dumb as all gently caress, the garden is tedious busywork, adachis link is a cool idea but it's executed poorly, and most the story additions like the bikes and the stupid concert feel more like a Disney channel original than a game about Jungian psychology.

so it all fits organically with the rest of the game

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

All Persona games are bad, and all Persona games are good.

Except for the spinoffs, which vary more in quality.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

NikkolasKing posted:

By the time you get Naoto, trash mobs have long since stopped being anything memorable or threatening so I think useless still describes her. You don't need an extra party member for all the nothing fights.

Eh, SP restoration is a bit harder to come by in P4 than in the more recent games, so personally I appreciated that I could run Naoto through the dungeon and have her use all hers up and still have completely fresh party members to take on the boss with minimal leaf use.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Naoto has a gun, and everyone else is carrying toys.
Therefore,

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

HootTheOwl posted:

Naoto has a gun, and everyone else is carrying toys.
Therefore,

Dojima has a gun. He should come into the TV.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Zv1qS7UhU

This is one of the best dungeon themes in all of Persona, if not the absolute best.

That's not Heaven.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Gaius Marius posted:

As someone who did not play original P4, I like Marie and think she's perfectly fine.

As someone who has played both P5 and P5R you absolutely should just play the latter at this point if you haven't played either, and P5R has enough additions I was happy purchasing it after having already played P5. I also just like the Phantom Thieves relative to the Investigation Team (they're both good, and the games present their friendships fine).

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I really enjoyed reading the last couple pages dissection on these games - p5 vanilla is my first. I appreciated hearing how positive everyone was towards strikers - that being free on ps+ and looking like a lot of fun is the only reason I finally started playing p5.

I will say, the reason I never played p5 up until this point was because everyone said royal was so much better in every way. But that wasn't free, and I didn't know if I'd like it, so I just didn't bother because I only had the 'inferior' version. Now that I'm 70 hours in and really battling through, I'm glad it's not longer. I don't care what they added in royal, nobody needs more of this unless it's dlc or a spinoff.

E: also does takemi's v/o change randomly in vanilla? Just hit level 10 with her as a confident and if that is the same voice actor doing that scene I think I might be losing my mind? She sounds nothing like I remember... Which was last night.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 24, 2022

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
When I'm reminded of just how much P3-5 creeps on its female characters, or has messed-up dating concepts (LET'S DATE KEN! LET'S DATE FUTABA! YOUR TEACHER!!), etc. it just makes me really miss the writing of the original persona games so much.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

StandardVC10 posted:

P3P has them too and I found them slightly better there honestly

I never did finish P3P but I was loving drowning in extremely good skill cards by the end of P4G. So if I can ever finish P3P I guess I'll be doing great.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

I will say, the reason I never played p5 up until this point was because everyone said royal was so much better in every way. But that wasn't free, and I didn't know if I'd like it, so I just didn't bother because I only had the 'inferior' version. Now that I'm 70 hours in and really battling through, I'm glad it's not longer. I don't care what they added in royal, nobody needs more of this unless it's dlc or a spinoff.

One of the things they did in P5R was some streamlining; everyone remembers that P5R has one extra palace and three extra confidants (counting Akechi as one) - but it's less obvious what it has less of (other than Morgana telling you to go to sleep). They have however done things like trimmed the boring sections of most of the palaces or let you use a grappling hook to get over them (while also adding in hunts for the Will Seeds and some actual theming to the areas of Mementos) - and the Okumura palace was heavily re-written to make it both shorter and more thematic. All of which means that P5R isn't significantly longer to play through than P5.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

One of the things they did in P5R was some streamlining; everyone remembers that P5R has one extra palace and three extra confidants (counting Akechi as one) - but it's less obvious what it has less of (other than Morgana telling you to go to sleep). They have however done things like trimmed the boring sections of most of the palaces or let you use a grappling hook to get over them (while also adding in hunts for the Will Seeds and some actual theming to the areas of Mementos) - and the Okumura palace was heavily re-written to make it both shorter and more thematic. All of which means that P5R isn't significantly longer to play through than P5.

Yeah, I think it took me about the same time to beat both games. I did skip some early cutscenes in P5R though since there was nothing new.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

neonchameleon posted:

All of which means that P5R isn't significantly longer to play through than P5.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it added about 20 hours. Anyway, i'm not switching it up now.

I'm about to do the okumura palace, that's where I left off last night. I guess by the fact it was re-written/changed I should brace myself for a rough time?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The Okumura palace has a rather annoying switch maze section near the end that I think was simplified slightly in Royal but I didn't really notice any difference. Also the Royal version of the palace boss is significantly more obnoxious than base game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
mazes are cool imo, though i think Royal got them mostly right with the difficulty of getting through them versus the difficulty of finding secrets in them

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it added about 20 hours. Anyway, i'm not switching it up now.

I'm about to do the okumura palace, that's where I left off last night. I guess by the fact it was re-written/changed I should brace myself for a rough time?

It added 20-30 hours of content and either cut or streamlined 10-20 hours (when I say streamlined I'm including things like making the 'loading screens' slightly shorter). The P5 Okumura Palace is normally considered the worst (non-Mementos) Palace in the game. That said the Royal rework of Okumura is the hardest boss fight in the game while the basic P5 Okumura is pretty simple.

Changes include to the layout so that there are now not so many bland corridors, putting things to hide behind, adding places to explore via the chain hook and things to find in will seeds, cutting annoying puzzle sections, and massively increasing the theming. Particularly the way that in Royal the robots betray their bosses, and various things about the boss fight.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

You could also just ignore the two added Confidants if you wanted, and basically just get the base game experience + QOL changes.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

AngryRobotsInc posted:

You could also just ignore the two added Confidants if you wanted, and basically just get the base game experience + QOL changes.

Ignoring Kasumi is grounds for dismissal from… something I dunno what

Also you might be able to ignore their actual Social Links but they are very much woven into the main story, especially the guidance councilor because everyone goes to talk to him at some point to be therapized.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I need to know if after okumuras palace the game really, really kicks up a gear because I am having a hard time with it.
The last 20 hours of playtime has been a loving slog and I'm struggling to keep momentum. I just don't give a poo poo about anything that's happening, the summer was bad enough where nothing happened but after that a new character was introduced who's story seems pretty cut and dry and now we've got another 10 hours of filler before the inevitable plays out.

Is there actually a big resolution to the phantom thieves story? When I started it seemed like something big was going to happen but I'm at 70 hours and the small slice of life stories are overpowering any main overarching narrative by some distance. In the last 30 hours of gameplay I've seen maybe 1 hour worth of scenes that seem like they anything to do with where this is going and I'm starting to resent the lack of respect this story has with my time.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The game does pick up through the end yeah, and they do resolve the phantom thieves story pretty ok in my opinion

But being totally honest though, if you're not liking the game that much I don't think it's going to change your opinion. P5 is definitely a slow burn, and the slice of life stuff is still going to be a huge chunk of your playtime even when the plot is picking up since you can still beat every dungeon in like a single dive

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I was liking it a lot, but the last 20 hours have really stretched my patience. Does it pick up straight after okumuras palace or is it another 10-20 hours of nothing much until right at the end?

I get about 10 hours of videogames in each week and I feel like the game has just taken up 2 full weeks of my time with filler.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It picks up but I think whether or not you like the game really depends on if you like the stuff outside the (not very good) main story

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Like I actually lost interest in my last run midway through the extra section because I literally ran out of things to do

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Just completed a second play through of Persona 4 Golden (prepping for Arena’s release and playing it on my new vita, not my friends) and currently deciding on if I should try to platinum it. Im down to 5 trophies but the only one that worries me is that drat Rise navigator trophy. I thought I was through on my last play through but apparently not because it never popped…

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Guess you could try to intentionally sandbag as much as possible while having a strong Persona equipped so you yourself don't get killed randomly, and also setting EXP gain to lower so that things can keep outpacing your party and getting those "these guys are tough" lines. Also not touching any golden hands at all, but that's probably a given.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

If you don't grind out risette weakness/ immunity/ strength lines before she even hits a rank 1 social link, don't even bother imo. That's 30 something lines that become nigh impossible after you get too far down the road.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

And you have to get all of them in one playthrough right? I thought about going for it until I saw that. Nope no way.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

I need to know if after okumuras palace the game really, really kicks up a gear because I am having a hard time with it.
The last 20 hours of playtime has been a loving slog and I'm struggling to keep momentum. I just don't give a poo poo about anything that's happening, the summer was bad enough where nothing happened but after that a new character was introduced who's story seems pretty cut and dry and now we've got another 10 hours of filler before the inevitable plays out.

Is there actually a big resolution to the phantom thieves story? When I started it seemed like something big was going to happen but I'm at 70 hours and the small slice of life stories are overpowering any main overarching narrative by some distance. In the last 30 hours of gameplay I've seen maybe 1 hour worth of scenes that seem like they anything to do with where this is going and I'm starting to resent the lack of respect this story has with my time.

Yes it does and I'm pretty sure you're at the place just before it does. The Okumura palace in P5 Vanilla is a slog and the Okumura arc is where the overarching plot is the least relevant and everything seems to be riding high for the Phantom Thieves with minimal pressure on them. The plot really ramps up when Okumura goes on national TV to confess his crimes.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

A Bystander posted:

Guess you could try to intentionally sandbag as much as possible while having a strong Persona equipped so you yourself don't get killed randomly, and also setting EXP gain to lower so that things can keep outpacing your party and getting those "these guys are tough" lines. Also not touching any golden hands at all, but that's probably a given.

According to guides I’ve read I’d have to do exactly that. I farmed golden hands in hidden base dungeon so I could finish the compendium and that bit me in the rear end for any weakness lines. (Got the trophy though so that’s helpful)

Golden giving you options on exp and money for NG+ might help making this a bit easier but it still feels like I might need to just set it aside for a bit and try again later. Besides, Nothing like starting a NG+ with fresh mind after being away for awhile. Considering some of the fusions I saved to the compendium it will be cool to walk back in on it just to completely break it for the first few dungeons

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

gently caress yeah, the Ultimax port is getting rollback*

*unless you're on Switch

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hey thread, popping in to ask if p5 (either vanilla or royal) has had a swtich or PC port annouced yet, thanks

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uhhhhhhh..... sorry, no

We still don't know what the February announcement for the anniversary is supposed to be (despite February being over in Japan already), so it's possible that'll change soon, but I wouldn't put money on it

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I realize this is Atlus we're talking about here, and from what I understand, the name is a loanword from Urdu that means "to nickel and dime to death"- but I really hope the announcement is: All games are now on all platforms and we're keeping that going forward as we make new games.

But I know better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The announcement for February was pop up shops in Japan and exclusive merch like protag stuffies and persona 5 Tarot cards.

Very underwhelming but it’s Atlus so that’s to be expected.

Might import the tarot cards though. Really loved their designs