Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Modern history has taught me to expect aliens who use technology that they barely understand, and likely have the impulse control of a bored rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Inglonias posted:

The idea that these things enter a symbiotic relationship with other intelligent species is... fine, I guess? That's not something evolution would come up with naturally, which means the medusae were made by something. Fine.

I feel like the aliens maybe didn't think things through here? They work on long enough timescales to stick around and watch for 5,000 years after petrifying humanity, so they should have the patience to do some more studying once they showed up, before they start petrifying everybody. Hell, they didn't even need that - Just study our radio waves while you're on the way over to Earth from wherever the hell you came from. That should give you a good idea of what humanity is about.

This whole plan doesn't sit well with me, basically. Does it work in the context of the story? Yeah, I guess. Does it make sense? Not really.

They're a completely alien life form with profoundly different perceptions and understanding than humans. Even if they had perfect panopticon vision of all of humanity and sat and studied us for a while, they might not understand our motivations because we're just as bizarre and alien a life form to them as they are to us. Do we even know if they understand the concept of individuality? We're seeing different voices from the gestalt but that doesn't mean that they're actually individual entities that are separate from their shared gestalt.

To them the plan is pretty much "hey we can make you immortal and let you live forever in exchange for you making us immortal and letting us live forever". They likely don't parse that being imprisoned in a black stone void is a torture hell as far as we're concerned, which is why they're perplexed that these weird humans seemingly want to die.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
I guess the big thing that still remains to be explained is why they're only now suddenly okay with talking to Senku and explaining everything.

We've now established that they can both "speak" and understand human language, and that they've been listening to all of Senku's radio communications all this time. Human language comes so naturally to them now that even when they all started screaming "WHY" into the void, they made sure to do it in human languages that Senku and crew could understand.

So if they wanted to explain all this stuff to Senku, they could have done it literally any time since Senku first invented a decent radio. They communicate using radio waves, there's no reason they had to wait for someone to come see them in person to chat. After years of absolutely refusing to communicate, why are they suddenly patiently explaining everything in great detail?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not odd that non-biological life forms would think that eternal life as a statue sounds pretty sweet. but again, it beggars disbelief that this symbiosis ever worked in the past. maybe a species that could communicate freely while petrified would be cool with it, but even then they wouldn't be producing customized synthetic diamonds during that time. there's a fundamental disconnect between their goals and their actions.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Did these Medusae on the moon petrify the world tough?

I mean, they performed the action, but did they give the command?

They refer to them as survivors, and plan for only the most intelligent to break out, so I'd guess they did, but it'd be an interesting twist

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well they seemed to think that Humans with high brain waves would break out of the stone faster then they did. Plus they got the false flag waves that made them send a bunch too early.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well they seemed to think that Humans with high brain waves would break out of the stone faster then they did. Plus they got the false flag waves that made them send a bunch too early.

Yes, also for them screaming why

they had so much time to study the islanders and learn language from watching them that it would make sense they would be able to speak at least one human language.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dr-stone-chapter-230/chapter/24022?action=read

Chapter 230

This is pretty rad, I'm really vibing with this now.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

drat, that tied together a lot of threads really well.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

rannum posted:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dr-stone-chapter-230/chapter/24022?action=read

Chapter 230

This is pretty rad, I'm really vibing with this now.

:same:

I really want to hear what Senku's plan is. And it sounds like he wants what's best for everyone and wants to help Why-Man, too.

Manga good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume his plan is to acquire Medusa tech for humanity.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm still not sold on the medusea. But this does wrap up all the weird things in a neat bow and I can at least appreciate that.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/shonenleaks/status/1496366009619410945

Oh, well then. I knew we were near the end but I didn’t think it was that close

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm curious what it's going to be, but I think I'm going to end up rating the ending as thoroughly good enough.

I'm going to miss it though.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

drat, just 2 more chapters then, huh?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RatHat posted:

https://twitter.com/shonenleaks/status/1496366009619410945

Oh, well then. I knew we were near the end but I didn’t think it was that close

Yeah, I expected maybe one or two more chapters before the end, but I guess there's not going to be that much of a denouement.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The next chapter is the end of the series, but the chapter after that is the epilogue that they're letting Boichi write on his own.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I am very glad this series can go out on a solid high note.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
guess it makes sense but wow, that's soon

time to get excited!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Two chapters isnt a lot of time to have the medusa turn into a sexy robot lady and pose with the other sexy robot lady but let's see what they can do.

I knew we were end game but I really figured we'd have a bit more in the tank! I'll be sad to see it end, but I guess it was kind of obvious with how it sped through things post the Xeno fight. I really liked the series, hope the landing is good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is kind of weird that after all the hype of who to send they don't actually do anything.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'm torn. On the one hand, I'd breathe a sigh of relief if the Tiddy Robot doesn't appear in these last two chapters. On the other hand, if she doesn't appear then the spin-off being more about her rather than Byakuya would make the thing be even more pointless.

ImpAtom posted:

It is kind of weird that after all the hype of who to send they don't actually do anything.

It was interesting at first that Kohaku would finally have another chance at doing something substantial, so it's a real bummer that it didn't seem to matter who they sent anyway.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Is it one or two more chapters? I'm seeing mixed info

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

8one6 posted:

The next chapter is the end of the series, but the chapter after that is the epilogue that they're letting Boichi write on his own.

No
We will not have titty bot

I refuse

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

ImpAtom posted:

Stanley used his piloting skills to dock the piecemeal spacecraft.

Kohaku used her reflexes and strength to throw away the medusa after the fake Senku voice sneak attack.

They each got to do at least one thing.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Why did they do the sneak attack thing though…?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

LanceKing2200 posted:

Stanley used his piloting skills to dock the piecemeal spacecraft.

Kohaku used her reflexes and strength to throw away the medusa after the fake Senku voice sneak attack.

They each got to do at least one thing.

Kohaku was also the one checking the cameras and had the eyesight needed to see things coming in a while away. And shhe also had some nice interactions once up in space.

Also I liked the character beats involved with it being Stanley. He wasn't a SUPER prominent character like Chrome or anything, even when hwas an active antagonist, but I liked his and by extension Xeno interactions especially when he fully came together with the rest of the crew.

Obviously yeah you probably could have just written it use idk Ryusei and Taiju or whatever (you just need Skills Guy and Strong Guy), but I think the pair they chose worked both in-universe and in what they did

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Is it one or two more chapters? I'm seeing mixed info

Two. Last chapter will come out on March 6th

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Cant wait for an epilogue showing everyones kids

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RatHat posted:

Two. Last chapter will come out on March 6th

Ah, that's much more sensible. One chapter for negotiations, one chapter for denouement. Quick, but not rushed.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

mabels big day posted:

Cant wait for an epilogue showing everyones kids

in a stunning twist the reason they're all 1:1 with their parents is because they're clones.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

They're all Senku's kids in the end. It's secretly been a harem manga the whole time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No, Senku's kid will be an angry dumbass who takes after his uncle more than his father. HIs name will be Benku.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
senku has no lineage except his clones because he's married to SCIENCE. sorry luna.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Why did they do the sneak attack thing though…?

I think this was still before they really understood what was up with senku and the others and figured "hey if they made it here, they're probably smart enough to break out of it instantly!" to show them again the whole...unlimited life poo poo

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
killer chapter, fantastic art. still makes for a sudden feeling ending but it makes plenty of sense, feels good, and hasn't felt like its dragging on for no reason at any point so maybe im just being left wanting more? :shrug:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Z=231. A Future to Get Excited About

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1012836
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dr-stone-chapter-231/chapter/24068?action=read

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The art really is phenomenal this chapter, holy poo poo. :eyepop:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

hahaha, that's a great cap off to this plot element