Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Funzo posted:

That ban list is wild. Just outright throwing Rebel Han and Hera out of the game.

It is interesting to compare tabletop games that ban vs. errata. I don't know that I have a clear preference for one over the other, aside from the option to play with your toys vs. not. The whole journey of this game is wild, it came within a hair of dethroning 40k and now it just feels like nobody really has a handle on what it is. This update is a lot to throw into a few pdfs and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

polynominal-c posted:

Ehhh, I don't get it... what is this new players thing they're talking about?!?

They are under the impression that the game is still selling at the rate it was in 2016 and that theres a massive influx of new people that are somehow too stupid to understand "point your ships at your opponent and shoot them"

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Did they forget to delete a bulletpoint in the attack rules?

quote:

Unless it has an ability that allows attacks at range 0, a ship cannot
attack a ship at range 0, even if the attack range would be range 1.

is still in there

E: Under player order too

quote:

During the Determine First Player step of setup, the player
whose squad has the lowest squad point total chooses which
player is the first player. The first player is assigned the First Player marker.
If players are tied for squad point total, one player calls either “hits” ([hit] or
[crit]), or “misses” (blank or [focus]). Then the other player rolls one attack die. If
the player chose the set of results that matches the die, that player chooses
which player is the first player; otherwise the other player chooses.

Then under setup

quote:

Determine Player Order: Randomly determine the first player as
follows:
a. Each player rolls three attack dice. The player with the most [crit] results
is the first player.
b. In the case of a tie, the first player is the player with the most [focus]
results.
c. If there is still a tie, the first player is the player with the most [hit]
results.
d. If there is still a tie, players reroll the dice and follow the above rules
until the tie is broken.
• This roll cannot be modified by game effects.

good proofreading going on here :thunk:

ro5s fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 23, 2022

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I think that they personally are coming at it from the perspective of new players which is why there's that skew. Early on in the transition they were generally openly saying they didn't know how to play all these Star Wars games they were handed and a lot of their regular little streams and the like were a means of them understanding the games they were now the developers for. Recently the narrative has changed to "we've loved and played these games since launch," juxtaposed with the constant reiteration that they just really think new players would be put off by this or that.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I just love how condescending the article is.

"New players just couldn't understand the concept of killing all your opponent's ships. Our solution was to increase the complexity by adding scenarios"

They have a real problem with communication.

Aces being back big time warms my cold dead heart. However I have played the bumping rules and they suck.

You pull of a really skillful move get tokened up and then it's all wasted because your opponent bumps you and you get to enjoy rolling unmodified attack dice. It always, always feels bad

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Raged posted:

They have a real problem with communication.

Aces being back big time warms my cold dead heart. However I have played the bumping rules and they suck.

You pull of a really skillful move get tokened up and then it's all wasted because your opponent bumps you and you get to enjoy rolling unmodified attack dice. It always, always feels bad

Let them bump Teroch and have fenn right behind him :rms:

Edit: holy poo poo Clan Training on Fenn Rau

The double modded dream is real

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 23, 2022

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So to try and get a sense for listbuilding, I decided to try and put together a classic three amigos X-Wing list and see how it compared to a base 2.0 list. Note that I haven't built a list for X-Wing in... a while, but:

3 Amigos (2.0) - 200 points:

pre:
Luke Skywalker (60)    
    Brilliant Evasion (2)    
    R2-D2 (8)    
    Shield Upgrade (6)    
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)    
Ship total: 76  Half Points: 38  Threshold: 4    

Biggs Darklighter (47)    
    R5-D8 (6)    
    Shield Upgrade (6)    
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)    
Ship total: 59  Half Points: 30  Threshold: 4    

Wedge Antilles (54)    
    Predator (2)    
    Plasma Torpedoes (7)    
    R4 Astromech (2)    
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)    
Ship total: 65  Half Points: 33  Threshold: 3
Meanwhile, the same list (Or close enough to it) in AMG:

pre:
Luke Skywalker (7)    
    Lone Wolf (5)
    Brilliant Evasion (2)    
    R2-D2 (8)    
    Shield Upgrade (6)    
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)    
Loadout: 28/28    

Biggs Darklighter (5)    
    R5-D8 (6)    
    Shield Upgrade (6)    
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)    
Loadout: 12/12    

Wedge Antilles (6)    
    Predator (2)    
    Outmaneuver (6)
    Plasma Torpedoes (7)    
    R4 Astromech (2)    
    Servomotor S-Foils (0)
Loadout: 20/20

Hobbie (2)
Loadout: 0/0     

2.0 Equivalent Points: 251
Observations:
  • As of now, the vast majority of point values for upgrades are unchanged from 2.0, meaning that they're effectively "how many free points you get." This means that high-end aces like Luke get to load up on free upgrades, while lower-skill pilots can't afford anything but the cheapest, bare minimum upgrades.
  • Expanding everything to 2.0 point values, Luke costs 70 points base but can get 28 points of free upgrades (So he's effectively 18 points cheaper) while Biggs is 50 points and only gets 12 points of free upgrades (So a net 9 points cheaper). Hobbie, who gets no upgrades, sits at 10 points cheaper, but a Phoenix Squadron pilot that only gets a measly 3 points of free upgrades comes out at a net 1 point discount. Some unlucky ships (oh my poor Y-Wings) actually become more expensive! So the changes ultimately massively benefit Aces, with drastically diminishing benefits for cheaper pilots and especially generics.
  • Listbuilding is now somewhat awkward as most factions have no 1 point ships, and there's only a handful of 2 point ships. So expect to see Obsidian Squadron Pilots and Lt. Blount a lot.

And for a point of comparison, let's compare it to a Y-Wing list: (I have no idea if this would be particularly competitive, but hell I'd have fun with it)

Y-Wings (2.0): 200/200 Points:

pre:
Gray Squadron Bomber (29)    
    Ion Cannon Turret (5)    
    Ion Torpedoes (4)    
    Watchful Astromech (2)    
    Munitions Failsafe (1)    
    Seismic Charges (3)    

Ship total: 44  Half Points: 22  Threshold: 4    

Ion Cannon Turret (5)    
    Proton Torpedoes (12)    
    Watchful Astromech (2)    
    Munitions Failsafe (1)    

Ship total: 49  Half Points: 25  Threshold: 4    

Ion Cannon Turret (5)    
    Proton Torpedoes (12)    
    Watchful Astromech (2)    
    Munitions Failsafe (1)    

Ship total: 49  Half Points: 25  Threshold: 4    

"Dutch" Vander (40)    
    Saturation Salvo (3)    
    Ion Cannon Turret (5)    
    Plasma Torpedoes (7)    
    Watchful Astromech (2)    
    Munitions Failsafe (1)    

Ship total: 58  Half Points: 29  Threshold: 4    
And, the equivalent list in AMG:

pre:
    Cluster Missiles (4)
    Munitions Failsafe (1)    
    Seismic Charges (3)       
Loadout: 8/8    

Cluster Missiles (4)
    Munitions Failsafe (1)    
    Seismic Charges (3)    

Cluster Missiles (4)
    Munitions Failsafe (1)    
    Seismic Charges (3)        

"Dutch" Vander (40)    
    Saturation Salvo (3)    
    Ion Cannon Turret (5)    
    Cluster Missiles (4)   
Loadout 12/12

2.0 Point Equivalent: 169

I don't even know where to begin with this. This is awful. What the gently caress did Y-Wings do to AMG to deserve such a horrible treatment.

e: Dutch doesn't even get a torpedo slot! why would you do this

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 23, 2022

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So in the new rules for attacking, they made the defending at R0 either mean that defenders can't modify attack dice, or that defenders can't modify their own dice or attack dice. They probably meant the first option, but it's so badly written that it could mean either of them.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Seems like Launch Bay Next is already updated.

Black Squadron

(3) Black Squadron Ace [TIE/ln Fighter]
(4) Hull Upgrade
(2) Predator

(4) Hull Upgrade
(2) Predator

(4) Hull Upgrade
(2) Predator

(4) Hull Upgrade
(2) Predator

(4) Hull Upgrade
(2) Predator

(4) Hull Upgrade
(2) Predator

Total points: 18

This is going to be absurd :laffo:

I could toss in another obsidian squad TIE if I wanted to, but I don’t need to add to the headache any more than I am already.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Seems like Launch Bay Next is already updated.

Black Squadron

(4) Hull Upgrade
(2) Predator

(4) Hull Upgrade
(2) Predator

(4) Hull Upgrade
(2) Predator

(4) Hull Upgrade
(2) Predator

(4) Hull Upgrade
(2) Predator

(4) Hull Upgrade
(2) Predator

Total points: 18

This is going to be absurd :laffo:

I could toss in another obsidian squad TIE if I wanted to, but I don’t need to add to the headache any more than I am already.

It might be worth it not to give your opponent 2 points at the start

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Fenn Rau - 7
Crack shot
Clan Training
Afterburners

Old Teroch - 6
Crack shot
Clan training
Afterburners
Advanced Proton torps

Edit: gently caress it gauntlet fits: Rook Kast - 7

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 23, 2022

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Have they done anything to stop separatists sitting on rocks next to objectives?

Precise Hunter — Vulture-class Droid Fighter 3
Heavy Laser Cannon 4
Grappling Struts 0
Shield Upgrade 6
Ship Total: 3
Half Points: 2 Threshold: 2

Heavy Laser Cannon 4
Grappling Struts 0
Shield Upgrade 6

Heavy Laser Cannon 4
Grappling Struts 0
Shield Upgrade 6

General Grievous — Belbullab-22 Starfighter 5
Outmaneuver 6
Impervium Plating 0
Hull Upgrade 4
Soulless One 0
Ship Total: 5
Half Points: 3 Threshold: 4

Trade Federation Drone — Vulture-class Droid Fighter 2
Grappling Struts 0
Ship Total: 2
Half Points: 1 Threshold: 2

Grappling Struts 0

Grappling Struts 0

You can replace the three i1 vultures with two fully loaded bombardment drones too which might be better.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 23, 2022

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Building on that point, let's say that I want to make a vulture/grievous list like the above, and I want to have energy-shell charges for all of my ships for whatever reason:

DFS-081 (3)
- Grappling Struts
- Energy-Shell Charges,
- Shield Upgrade
- Hull Upgrade

DFS-311 (3)
- Grappling Struts
- Energy-Shell Charges,
- Shield Upgrade

Precise Hunter x 3 (9)
- Grappling Struts
- Heavy Laser Cannon
- Shield Upgrade

General Grievous (5)
- Outmaneuver
- Impervium Plating
- Hull Upgrade
- Soulless One

The issue is that the Precise Hunters can't carry Energy-Shell Charges anymore, so if I really want to use them (for whatever reason), I need to change two of them to Haor Chall Prototype, and one of them to Separatist Drones, but this means that I can't take shield upgrades on them and instead need to use hull upgrades instead on the Prototype, and on the Separatist Drone have no shield OR hull upgrade.
Why can't I have Precise Hunters with missile slots, if I want to have a combo that uses their pilot ability with energy shell charges? Why can't I have grievous with a tactical relay? Why punish players for playing what they want to play if, potentially, they want to use a generic in order to round out their list? Why don't have ships that cost the same amounts of points have the same loadout points?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

For the steal the cargo scenario, what happens if a ship yeets itself out of the playing area? What happens if they dock? How did they manage to make the rules fore the scenario and not to think of those two potential situations?

EDIT: I mean, both of those have simple solutions, but they should be present in the rules

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Does anyone have any good recommendations for artists to commission for an alt-art?

To celebrate TIEs with missiles, I want to have one of a TIE pilot standing up on their chair with the top hatch open, firing a bazooka.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
What the hell. Vultures get cannons and ties get missiles but loving dutch can't have a torpedo?

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Tekopo posted:

For the steal the cargo scenario, what happens if a ship yeets itself out of the playing area? What happens if they dock? How did they manage to make the rules fore the scenario and not to think of those two potential situations?

EDIT: I mean, both of those have simple solutions, but they should be present in the rules

I think going off the board is covered by the rules for a ship being destroyed. It really should have a line for where to put the cargo saying "or range 1 from where it left the board" but whatever.

Docking is interesting though. RAW you can just have two cargo in "one" ship, and the docked ship can't ever be forced to jettison unless the main ship is destroyed, which seems too good.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

LanceKing2200 posted:

I think going off the board is covered by the rules for a ship being destroyed. It really should have a line for where to put the cargo saying "or range 1 from where it left the board" but whatever.

Docking is interesting though. RAW you can just have two cargo in "one" ship, and the docked ship can't ever be forced to jettison unless the main ship is destroyed, which seems too good.
I've checked the rules for fleeing and going RAW, the final position of the ship would be out of the board completely, since I think fleeing is checked after you have finished your maneuever (to make sure that no parts of your stand are outside of the board). As such, the RAW for the cargo container mean that there is potential for a cargo container to not have any valid location where it could be placed. But yeah, putting "or range 1 from where it left the board" would fix all that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've updated the OP and put in for a thread title change.

Also here's a cool comparison between 2.0 and 2.5 rules I just found on reddit.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l--J7333ZM6LKme3p28QzWigO4F_xFLRU5VT2W4Lb4o/edit#gid=288716757

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ConfusedUs posted:

I've updated the OP and put in for a thread title change.

Thanks to the kind mod who updated the thread title for me.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Traditional Games > X-Wing 2.5: We are altering the rules. Pray we don't alter them any further.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Thanks to the kind mod who updated the thread title for me.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Traditional Games > X-Wing 2.5: We are altering the rules. Pray we don't alter them any further.

:golfclap:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So I threw all the Rebel ships into a spreadsheet, calculated what their point costs would be in the old system (Using their new point value*10, subtracting the loadout points) and here's what I found:

• On average, ships are about 6.8 points cheaper. The Median ship value is 5.
  • Only two ships ended up having the same point value as their prior 2.0 incarnations: The K-Wing Warden Squadron Pilot, and the Auzituck Gunship Kashyyyk Defender.
  • Biggest winners: Breylan Stramm (20(!) points cheaper), Ten Numb (19), Luke Skywalker and Chewbacca (18), Leia Organa (17), Gina Moonsong (16), and B-Wing Hera Syndulla (15). It's a great time to fly B-Wing aces!
  • Biggest losers: Jan Ors (21(!!) points more expensive!), Kyle Katarn (-17), Roark Garnet (-7), and all the generic B-Wing, Y-Wing, and Z-95 pilots (Tied at -3).

In general the point values are all over the place, and feel incredibly arbitrary. I have a really hard time believing any of this is even remotely balanced. I may also probably get around to other faction ships later tonight, since I'm sure there will be some real gems there.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 24, 2022

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
HWKs are less impacted than they seem, as Moldy Crow now costs 0.

What do you do with 18 points of upgrades on Braylen Stramm, though...

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I think the HWKs are priced for a “free” Moldy Crow, so you’d have to include that in the 2.0 points when doing the comparison. Since all titles are 0 points now.

e:fb

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Yeah I don’t understand the points costs either. Lots of pilots are priced the same as other pilots for the same ship that are just objectively better.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Ah, I missed that most unique titles are now free upgrades. Which honestly feels like a weird choice, since it punishes players for taking two copies of the same ship, and effectively forces you to take what were previously optional upgrades. Not that many people were rolling around with multiple HWK-290s before, but even so...

Anyway, here's a new Rebel list with the titles factored in (As well as a couple typos cleared up), as well as the Imperial list:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 24, 2022

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The points that made me "wut" the most was scum Z-95s. They're all 3pts, generics included, but N'dru is 2 pts.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The cool resistance fireball droid pilot that had a crew slot now has 0 upgrades along with a few other ships. It's so weird some of these choices.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
the generic Pilot Skill 1 Defender is 7 points with 4 points of loadout.

The generic Pilot skill 4 Defender is 7 points with 6 points of loadout and has more upgrade slots.

I don't think AMG thought too hard about some of these decisions.

I get they did not want 3 Defenders I guess, but seriously.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 24, 2022

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

enigmahfc posted:

the generic Pilot Skill 1 Defender is 7 points with 4 points of loadout.

The generic Pilot skill 4 Defender is 7 points with 6 points of loadout and has more upgrade slots.

I don't think AMG thought too hard about some of these decisions.

They thought enough to prevent 3-Defender lists, though I think that problem would be better solved via the Restricted list.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Napoleon Nelson posted:

They thought enough to prevent 3-Defender lists, though I think that problem would be better solved via the Restricted list.

Yeah, but you'd think to balance them the lower PS defender should have more loudout points/options to be worth as many squad points as the higher PS.

Another well thought out one - howlrunner's got 3 mod slots and not enough loadout points to take 3 useful mods.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Giving higher skill pilots more load out points then lower skill pilots of the same ship cost seems the exact opposite of what you’d expect to see. I don’t understand that decision.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Funzo posted:

I don’t understand that decision.

New thread title

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Our local apologist is claiming that low initiative ships are priced high because otherwise you have to take different initiative pilots and it's to "eliminate brain power needed for thinking about multiple initiatives" and that "the price reflects how valuable spamming multiple I-1 can be" and that now to spam ships like TIEs you have to match initiative with Rebel generics.

This guy has been doing mental gymnastics the whole time since AMG has announced rules changes. I'm not sure if he's doing it as a form of denial or if he's just being the normal company simp that thinks they can do no wrong.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I mean there is value is having a pile of ships all at the same initiative, but it has nothing to do with brain power. It just gives you much more flexibility in which order you activate ships in. It's why I really liked flying 5 T-65s.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Funzo posted:

I mean there is value is having a pile of ships all at the same initiative, but it has nothing to do with brain power. It just gives you much more flexibility in which order you activate ships in. It's why I really liked flying 5 T-65s.

Man back in 1.0 I used to love flying Wedge, Luke, and Wes, the latter two with Adaptability to make them PS9. Such a fun and flexible list.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Man back in 1.0 I used to love flying Wedge, Luke, and Wes, the latter two with Adaptability to make them PS9. Such a fun and flexible list.

:unsmith:

That was a drat fun list. Or imperial triple 9’s, Soontir/Turr/Tetran. That one was always 1 turn away from certain death, it was the most :black101: way to fly.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've read on reddit that they stated on some stream that they deliberately priced generics in a lovely way because they don't like efficiency-chasing and also feel that named characters are the "heart" of the game.

I do not have a source, and there's no way I'm wading through a bunch of streams to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Having to track different abilities and upgrades and whatnot is kinda annoying for me. The last game of X-Wing I played was against a three ship list and having to keep track of what each one could do and when it could do it really brought me out of the game. Losing a game because you forgot that one specific ship can do one specific special thing during a specific phase is not really my idea of fun.

I'm not really sure how proliferation of an increase in special rules within lists are going to make it easier for new players to play the game, which seemed to be an aim for AMG.