Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Any chance we could get a rule against WW3 chat since the West has explicitly said they're not getting involved militarily?

I mean, not long ago Russia insisted it was not going to invade Ukraine, so . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Stay safe Ukrainian goons. And, yes, Russian goons too. War is hell.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Can people link these streams?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I do fear a copy cat effect or destabilization of other norms. I don't know how you counter this without going full WW3.

Strengthen NATO and try to keep China and Turkey neutral or aligned against Russia so if the worst passes it's really Russia vs the world.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
They're showing (on CBS) that there are Russian troops in Moldova as well. Was this already reported on? I wasn't paying as much attention to this thread until the past day or so.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Despera posted:

Well putin literally just warned the west he would start ww3

Dude just wanted to sound generally menacing. Just being a bully, talking tough.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

MadJackal posted:

This invasion must not go well for the world to avoid being doomed to various authoritarian wars of conquest over the next decade.

Unfortunately the cat is about to be out of the bag that world powers aren't going to risk full scale wars over minor/moderate territory grabs of "lesser" nations.

It's one thing to deploy some tens of thousands of troops and drones to the far away land of Afghanistan. It's another to draft up millions of soldiers to help defend territory against a nuclear power.

Chapo Trap House said it best a few weeks ago: Putin was sharpening his axe and looking at America and said "Really? Are you REALLY going to go to war over U-loving-kraine? Really?" Yes we would likely win the fight, but we will definitely be wounded by the axe.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

I'm listening to Putin's speech, and I think he just snapped. He said (I paraphrase) that "anyone who tries to interfere with what we're doing will face an immediate rebuke the likes of which has never been seen in your country before."

Edit: although I guess this isn't really new for him.

dominoeffect fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 24, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sax Mortar posted:

They're showing (on CBS) that there are Russian troops in Moldova as well. Was this already reported on? I wasn't paying as much attention to this thread until the past day or so.

In Transnistria? Since 1994. They would, however, be in position to attack Odesa.

(Which is where I was born. My stomach really can't take this...)

peej
Apr 10, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

Can people link these streams?

This is Kharkiv, the explosion starts around t-20 minutes or so. Anybody know what that facility would be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7ZbVufqW3s

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

punk rebel ecks posted:

Chapo Trap House said it best a few weeks ago: Putin was sharpening his axe and looking at America and said "Really? Are you REALLY going to go to war over U-loving-kraine? Really?" Yes we would likely win the fight, but we will definitely be wounded by the axe.

The problem is we've been clear since 2014 we'd never go to war over Ukraine, so its a weird take. Putin is more like a paranoid lover who is seeing cheaters in every bush.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sax Mortar posted:

They’ve been there for decades, look up Transnistria.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

The problem is we've been clear since 2014 we'd never go to war over Ukraine, so its a weird take. Putin is more like a paranoid lover who is seeing cheaters in every bush.

Putin was lying about not invading Ukraine for months, so he fully expects the Americans to be doing the same.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
CW: Rocket artillery barrages along the border

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Also if you watch the Kharkiv stream, avoid looking at the chat unless you want to be bombarded by an endless stream of inflammatory statements and every slur known to man.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I can’t see how we can confirm that this is current footage.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Why are people automatically assuming that Putin's threat means that he's going to nuke anyone who gets involved in Ukraine?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Unfortunately the cat is about to be out of the bag that world powers aren't going to risk full scale wars over minor/moderate territory grabs of "lesser" nations.

It's one thing to deploy some tens of thousands of troops and drones to the far away land of Afghanistan. It's another to draft up millions of soldiers to help defend territory against a nuclear power.

It's one of those things where it only takes one military to miscalculate what "lesser" means and hit the wrong country before poo poo blows up literally in our faces. There is no "good" outcome here - the soft power checks on Russia have failed. I'm still not expecting WWIII, but I'm less convinced it won't happen than at any point when Trump was in office and that's saying something.

This reminds me of that "Stabbed man: What are you going to do, stab me?" meme.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Also if you watch the Kharkiv stream, avoid looking at the chat unless you want to be bombarded by an endless stream of inflammatory statements and every slur known to man.

I wonder if this is Russian troll farms trying to dilute the conversation as much as possible - they're all posting the same things.

Fake Edit: Wow 10 minutes is a long time

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
They're bombing multiple cities at once. Another account I follow mentioned the Russian strat bomber net going up.

EDIT: holy gently caress theres small arms fire in Kyiv rumors are its VDV doing airfield seizure

Ashmole fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 24, 2022

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I can’t see how we can confirm that this is current footage.

There's so much other poo poo going down it probably doesn't matter that much...

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Oh gently caress it’s happening isn’t it? Don’t cancel me, I’m not being Clancy whatever that means

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ashmole posted:

They're bombing multiple cities at once. Another account I follow mentioned the Russian strat bomber net going up.

It went up prior to the Putin speech. So that is likely where some of the hits on the cities are coming from.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I can't get over how Zhirinovsky was only and almost exactly 24 48 hours off in the prediction he made LAST YEAR.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
The CNN reporter in Kiev said the Ukrainian Interior Minister confirmed the invasion has begun and there have been missile strikes in Kiev.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

OddObserver posted:

In Transnistria? Since 1994. They would, however, be in position to attack Odesa.

(Which is where I was born. My stomach really can't take this...)

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They’ve been there for decades, look up Transnistria.

Thanks, honestly was unaware. I was thinking that was what would allow them to get to Odesa so quickly as well so I guess that confirms that.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gotta say if this is true I'm not expecting the invasion phase to last very long.

https://twitter.com/AlSuraEnglish/status/1496690015946297346

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

I can't get over how Zhirinovsky was only and almost exactly 24 48 hours off in the prediction he made LAST YEAR.

Didn't take a big brain to see the timing of the Olympics, winter, mud, etc. and make some educated guesses.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Sinteres posted:

Gotta say if this is true I'm not expecting the invasion phase to last very long.

that was fast

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tomberforce posted:

There's so much other poo poo going down it probably doesn't matter that much...

You’re right, but I think it’s a fair ask of the thread to do some minimal due diligence for whether if footage can be reasonably attributed to the conflict. This thread will keep moving fast enough for a while, and so we don’t really want to have potentially random footage of MRLS fire in pitch black night.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

What is the Ukranians actual chance of holding a successful defense against Putin for a while?

I'm assuming not good?

gently caress I wish that rear end in a top hat died of a stroke right now

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

CommieGIR posted:

I would assume that this could be part of a plan of taking Ukraine in pieces over the years?

KillHour posted:

It's one of those things where it only takes one military to miscalculate what "lesser" means and hit the wrong country before poo poo blows up literally in our faces. There is no "good" outcome here - the soft power checks on Russia have failed. I'm still not expecting WWIII, but I'm less convinced it won't happen than at any point when Trump was in office and that's saying something.

This reminds me of that "Stabbed man: What are you going to do, stab me?" meme.

Yeah, I agree that in the long run a massive war may be inevitable.

Russia: "Okay Ukraine is down, why don't we try a small NATO nation now to test those waters?"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MadJackal posted:

This invasion must not go well for the world to avoid being doomed to various authoritarian wars of conquest over the next decade.

The game of capitalist imperialism is hardly new, even if a particularly ruthless and talented player is making one of his biggest moves yet. Just ask the people of Iraq, Afghanistan, or Yemen. Sad to say, I don't think that the success or failure of this particular play is going to change much, particularly with climate change shrinking and shifting the resources that greedy sociopaths around the world are trying to hoard for themselves and their buddies.

Seriously, it really is instructive to see Putin as a Russian neocon in the vein of the psychos from the Project for a New American Century. Very little of what he's doing is new, it's just that we're getting a rare opportunity to see it from the outside.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 24, 2022

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

queeb posted:

that was fast

Wonder if the Turkish transports were a ruse?

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sinteres posted:

true?

gently caress that was fast

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

TulliusCicero posted:

What is the Ukranians actual chance of holding a successful defense against Putin for a while?

I'm assuming not good?

gently caress I wish that rear end in a top hat died of a stroke right now

They took control of Kyiv’s airport almost immediately. This may end up being one of the more lopsided wars in history.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Even in a crushing overall Russian victory over just a few weeks, that kind of seizure is really hard to sustain given the distance behind the front line.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Sinteres posted:

There's no way this is true. To airdrop and take Kiev airport would take dozens of airplanes. We'd see videos of antiaircraft fire of which we're seeing none.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

queeb posted:

that was fast

That’s a random account with small number of followers, posting sensationalist claims no one else does, at a quick glance. I’d suggest to exercise some scepticism.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

So is everyone going to let Russia take a country? Not saying the US should get involved but gently caress. I don't think Putin's going to stop at Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That’s a random account with small number of followers, posting sensationalist claims no one else does, at a quick glance. I’d suggest to exercise some scepticism.