Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Chyna was done dirty all through the attitude era. I *loved* watching her be this impossible towering figure that threw in with the general roster and wasn't just paraded out for arm candy. It made the D-X stable seem like more than rowdy dumbass mean boys.

I stopped watching when she got paired up with Latino Heat. Was that any good.? I got the feeling that pairing was supposed to be insulting to both characters

I like to think that society is in a slightly kinder mindset now and wonder if she'd be received differently. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

GolfHole posted:

*goldust spot*

vince: well. i dont know about that.

:lol:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

FilthyImp posted:

Chyna was done dirty all through the attitude era. I *loved* watching her be this impossible towering figure that threw in with the general roster and wasn't just paraded out for arm candy. It made the D-X stable seem like more than rowdy dumbass mean boys.

I stopped watching when she got paired up with Latino Heat. Was that any good.? I got the feeling that pairing was supposed to be insulting to both characters

The Chyna/Eddie stuff was pretty charming. They made for a really fun couple when it was going on, then led to Eddie turning heel again due to his jealousy over her success and annoyance that she was posing for Playboy. The two split up when Chyna found out that he had been cheating on her.

But that was the beginning of the end for Chyna. The Playboy thing put her in a feud with Right to Censor, specifically Ivory. They had a match at Royal Rumble where Chyna dominated, but then they did a spot where she "hit her neck wrong" and the match had to be called off so she could be taken out on a stretcher. For months, they played up Chyna's severe neck injury while Ivory consistently made fun of her for that. Chyna came back for a rematch at WrestleMania, destroyed Ivory with little problem and became Women's Champion. At this point, they no longer wanted her in the men's division and the women's division was so sparse and lacking in anyone who made for an interesting challenger. Chyna left the company after that and the title was made vacant.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

FilthyImp posted:

I like to think that society is in a slightly kinder mindset now and wonder if she'd be received differently. :(

if anything that was an improvement for her as Eddie's character treated her well as far as the ugly poo poo went, he was just a sleezy guy. It was WWE that kept doing her dirty time and time again, mostly after HHH dumped her for Stephanie and Stephanie vindictively went after her new man's ex.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
after eddie guerrero died vince mcmahon used his death for a very tasteless storyline and also dragged eddie's still grieving family and friends into it to humiliate them

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

after eddie guerrero died vince mcmahon used his death for a very tasteless storyline and also dragged eddie's still grieving family and friends into it to humiliate them

He forced Chavo Guerrero Jr. to take the gimmick of Kerwin White who was just supposed to be a super white white guy.

He made Vickie Guerrero do a segment where she was bound and gagged in a kiddie pool filled with mud and treated like a pig.

All the McMahons then did that thing where they insisted that Eddie was a carny wrestler guy with a good sense of humor just like everyone else and he would have been OK with all of that and supported it 100%.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Elephant Ambush posted:

He forced Chavo Guerrero Jr. to take the gimmick of Kerwin White who was just supposed to be a super white white guy.

He made Vickie Guerrero do a segment where she was bound and gagged in a kiddie pool filled with mud and treated like a pig.

All the McMahons then did that thing where they insisted that Eddie was a carny wrestler guy with a good sense of humor just like everyone else and he would have been OK with all of that and supported it 100%.

Well Eddie did have a ladder match for custody of Rey Mysterio's son...

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it was very disrespectful to vince that eddie died and so he had to get back at him somehow

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 23, 2022

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Whoa, now. Kerwin White was a humiliating gimmick given to Chavo BEFORE Eddie died. They ended the gimmick immediately after.

Instead, Chavo became increasingly bitter that Rey Mysterio was better at honoring Eddie's memory and turned into a vengeful heel over it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
someone on dark side of the ring said the WWE would never hire someone just to humiliate them on tv and i lol'd but then i got sad because it was the episode about kanyon

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 24, 2022

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Gavok posted:

Whoa, now. Kerwin White was a humiliating gimmick given to Chavo BEFORE Eddie died. They ended the gimmick immediately after.

Instead, Chavo became increasingly bitter that Rey Mysterio was better at honoring Eddie's memory and turned into a vengeful heel over it.

Thanks for the timeline correction. I'm really bad about the order and sequence of all this crazy poo poo.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

I was on a walk today and was reminded of growing up in the more rural areas surrounding Albany, NY.

Albany, Troy, and a few other places were home to regular WWE shows in the 1980s/90s (The RPI Fieldhouse, Glens Falls - Hi Jim Duggan - Civic Center, etc.). Hell, I saw Nikolai Volkoff at a county fair around then.

Albany also had a bunch of radio personalities, such as Todd Pettingill, who has already been mentioned in this thread. He was a DJ for one of the FM pop stations (FLY 92 I believe).

On the classic rock side of the coin, there was PYX 106, where you would be sure to get your fill of REO Speedwagon every half hour. On Saturday Nights, you would get to experience "The House Party," with your host, Uncle Vito. Uncle Vito also played another character (actually two, but let's take this one at a time) that did bumper spots on a local UHF station (Channel 23 WXXA) that was transitioning to become a full-fledged Fox network station. The character he played was Ranger Danger, a wholesome but not-so-smart John Candy-esque character:

Like many (very) local personalities, he got to interview wrestlers as they were passing through, as in this series where he interviewed The Undertaker and Paul Bearer.

What I cannot find (though it certainly would not surprise me) is confirmation that Uncle Vito/Ranger Danger actually played Paul Bearer for a couple of spots during WWE shows in the mid-late-90s or early-00s. I wasn't paying close attention to wrestling and lived outside of the Capital District at the time, but heard from a number of friends that yes, indeed, there was a fake Bearer (but not in the same way as there was a fake Diesel).

Cursory searches are still yielding nothing, and I'm not about to tease apart results about the Uncle Vito who was famous in Albany, NY vs. Uncle Vito of Jackass fame.

Dementropy fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 24, 2022

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Nietzsce posted:

If you gaze long enough into the abyss, the abyss stares back

Wrestling is, in some aspects, a lot like method acting. You are portraying a character a lot like yourself and in some respects, living your "gimmick". This isn't as true for characters like the Undertaker or Kane, or really anyone in a mask. But, if you're playing a character that is described as "basically me but turned up to 11" then you risk maybe working yourself about your own personality (see: Warrior).

We talked a little about effective heels and how they draw money getting people to want to see them beat. We also talked a little about how even booking personalities can be shown to be heels and draw money.

Okay so, here's something to chew on: Does WWE book like poo poo because they're stupid, or are they booking bad on purpose to get you to hate the management that makes these decisions so that you'll tune in to see them get theirs?

Can they even tell the difference?

Even if you're portraying a character that eats poo poo, you're still a person willing to eat poo poo on camera.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 34 hours!)

i think that used to be a reasonable argument but all the bad guy management people are now too old/disowned to be featured on the show, so it doesn't apply anymore and hasn't really for a good 4 or 5 years i think

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So, before I get lost down Paul Levesque's rabbit hole (god that sounded wrong), let's finish up with another hole in more than one way.

---

History loves its ironies.

On paper, the Doomsday Steel Cage match sounded potentially interesting. It was a multi story cage where the faces, that being Hogan and Savage, would have to make their way down through it, facing off against pairs of wrestlers in each ‘room’: Flair and Anderson on top, Meng and Barbarian on second floor room 1, Luger and Taskmaster on second floor room 2, and Lister and Jeep in the ring itself, because I am not calling them by their stupid WCW names.

In execution…

It was a bunch of wrestlers who weren’t known for their agility or workrate walking semi delicately on a chainlink fence floor in a cramped cage room that was so small cameras couldn’t film inside it, and hence were forced to film outside it. This meant that the people at home couldn’t see well, and the people in the audience could barely see at all, even if they were right up front. It was, in many ways, little better than a scaffold match, minus the risk of falling.

It didn’t help that even the wrestlers THEMSELVES didn’t seem to understand the match and its rules; once Hogan and Savage got down through a cage room, the wrestlers in it just had to stay there with their thumbs up their butts…until they decided they didn’t want to and left to head down to continue the fight. I believe the pair were supposed to fight Meng and Barbarian, beat them down, then go through the door between second floor rooms to fight Taskmaster and Luger, but the pressure of the men moving around the cage caused the door to pop open, forcing Luger and Taskmaster to just enter the first room and fight alongside Meng and Barbarian (would Meng and Barbarian been allowed to do likewise if Hogan and Savage had moved on properly? Was the door supposed to be locked behind the reunited Mega-Powers? Do you care? I probably do, too much.)

(Also no rule about attacking the faces while they were still in upper cages, it seemed)

And then, the Mega Powers had to get down to the ring, where the now tired Hogan and Savage would face Lister and Jeep…who were not trained as wrestlers.

I’d say it all went about as well as you would expect, except I’d say you should lower your expectations even more. The first irony here is that, maybe, in some ways, the Doomsday Steel Cage match was just too ahead of its time. I think of Phantasy Star III, which tried to do a multi-generation epic storyline (where who you choose to marry makes said storyline split into two, and then four possible different plotlines) on the Sega Genesis in 1992; the system and video games in general lacked the power and knowledge to really get the idea to feasibly work, and the end result was a disappointing game with a maddening amount of potential. Likewise, nowadays both WWE and AEW, both due to the COVID-19 pandemic causing no crowds for a time, and to hide weaknesses in wrestlers, would do ‘cinematic matches’, matches that were wholly filmed ahead of time and edited like movies. You even got some entertaining bits from them, like the John Cena/Bray Wyatt ‘match’ from Wrestlemania 36. And it wasn’t like a wrestling match in a very unconventional place couldn’t be entertaining: in the same year, the Undertaker and Mankind would manage it in their Summerslam PPV match “The Boiler Room Brawl”. Maybe, if it had been a cinematic match, there might have been something to get out of the Doomsday Cage match. But it happened when it did, and that’s that.

It ended with Luger turning on the Dungeon and hitting Flair, intentionally, with a loaded glove, the two having left their cage rooms to go down and fight in the ring. And just as a final insult, it seemed like Savage and Hogan had no idea how the match ended, via pinfall or by them escaping the cage, so just as he was about to leave, Savage suddenly jerked around and jumped on Flair, getting a pin and then fleeing out of the cage with Hogan, like beating WCW’s biggest star was an afterthought. And really, to these two, and especially Hogan, how could it be anything else?

Oh right, and did I mention at this point, Ric Flair was WCW CHAMPION? Yeah.

The second irony?

The Alliance had failed. Hulkamania lived on…except after this, Hogan’s appearances became very sporadic, and he was not involved in the WCW Title picture. He would return…as the third man of the NWO in July, turning heel and in essence, killing Hulkamania. Which could be said to have happened because the fans were so sick of the Dungeon of Doom nonsense that they’d begun openingly booing him. Whether he meant to or not, Kevin Sullivan had indeed destroyed Hulkamania.

Not forever, of course, but one should take one’s victories where they could get them. God knows Sullivan didn’t have much.

So. The Alliance and by extension the Dungeon had failed in their biggest spectacle ever. Tell me, how much longer do you think the Dungeon of Doom lasts after this? Another show before they destroy themselves? Maybe several more weeks to let it all play out?

No, my friends, the answer is, fifteen months.

FIFTEEN. MONTHS.

The Dungeon would not be considered to be wholly, totally disbanded and dead until the July 1997 PPV. Though it wasn’t like they were a constant presence on WCW TV any more. At this point, the timeline gets a little fuzzy, so forgive me if I get some details wrong.

Each side blaming each other, the Dungeon kinda/sorta began a feud with the Horsemen after March, which more or less ended when the Giant would defeat Ric Flair in April 1996 to claim the WCW Championship. Then WCW would remember that The Shark existed, and the Dungeon would kick him out after he decided he wanted a chance at the title, because Giant was a fellow member and you didn't fight your own, or something. Angry, John Tenta would adopt his real name for the rest of his WCW career, along with him proudly and angrily declaring that he was NOT A FISH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX-drFUI1ZI

THEMONSTERMENG and Barbarian kept popping up as the Faces of Fear, and Hugh Morrus was doing undercard and midcard stuff, but the focus of WCW completely altered in June, when Scott Hall and Kevin Nash showed up. The NWO angle began in July, and for several months the Dungeon was barely mentioned, with its biggest in all senses member the Giant even joining the NWO. But, as 1998 rolled around, some dark vignettes were aired that the Dungeon was returning, bigger, better, and less dungeony! Jimmy Hart and Kevin Sullivan were gathering forces anew, including…

(Max Muscle on the left, Hart in the center, I think that's Sullivan on the right)

Max Muscle! Who was Diamond Dallas Page’s former bodyguard. Who had turned on him and gone face. But was now turning heel again. And then he disappeared. And also, there was “The Big Boss” Big Bubba Rogers, who had joined the NWO, then had them turn on him and beat him up, so he was now siding with the Dungeon!

Or maybe he thought he was joining the WWF earlier than he actually did, it's so dark and fuzzy here maybe he can't tell either.

He also would swiftly vanish. And rejoining once more, having also left the NWO, was the Giant, again! His rejoining would ALSO be quickly erased and he’d be fully on WCW’s side in a month, if not less.

But while the NWO had been laying waste in a way the Dungeon wished they could even begin to approach, a remnant of the Four Horseman feud was Kevin Sullivan feuding with Chris Benoit. To counter the short, fierce wrestler known as the “Rabid Wolverine”, the Dungeon unveiled…

BRAUN THE LEPRECHAUN!

…he also was very brief. I don’t think he even actually fought Benoit.

Dungeon 2.0, as presented in that super dark and fuzzy vignette, was gone so swiftly that no quality video or pictures of it seem to exist. Yet, despite that, Sullivan and Hart would STILL be presiding over the frail shell of the group, which would even pick up two last new members. One would be Konnan, who after losing the U.S Title to Ric Flair, decided a good career move would be to join the Dungeon of Doom.

Brilliant. The only thing he got out of this was switching his wrestling outfit from puke color Aztrec theme gear to ‘Latino punk’, a look he’d keep for the rest of his wrestling career. Did I mention that already? I might have. So when did this happen? July 1996. Yet this reforming happened in 1997, as Giant and Rogers would be in the NWO for the last third of 1996. Yet there was no sign of Konnan at the Dungeon revival, but then again, the Faces or Hugh weren’t there either. You see what I mean about fuzzy timelines? And speaking of fuzzy…

Sullivan decided to inject some of the hot new ‘real life derived’ aspects of writing that wrestling was beginning to try, by having Woman, ie his real life wife Nancy Sullivan, begin an on air affair with Benoit. Never mind that Woman had been managing the Horsemen in general and had never been acknowledged as being related to Sullivan in any way before this. Still, with the ultra confusing Horseman vs Dungeon feud, it did inject a little extra drama…

Except Sullivan decided to go the extra mile: if they were gonna inject reality, they should make it as real as possible. So Benoit and Nancy were not only booked to appear on TV together, but Sullivan had them travel together. And sleep at the same hotel together. And generally keep them together as much as possible, to make it as convincing as possible.

Lo and behold, with Sullivan said to be a wife beating prick, Nancy promptly fell in love for real with Benoit and left Sullivan for real in turn. Which, if what some say is true that he abused Nancy, is exactly what he deserved. I don’t know if Benoit ended up any better, how it ended aside; some say he was also abusive, some don’t say. It’s just terribly tragic and sad all around. As it has been said, Kevin Sullivan essentially booked his own divorce. But since Nancy had turned on him in storyline, even though she hadn’t associated with him in storyline at all before that, Sullivan hired/acquired a new female valet/bodyguard, Jacquelyn, the final member of the Dungeon.

Of course, once the fake affair became real, the last gasps of the Dungeon were basically Sullivan booking himself in repeated hardcore matches with Benoit for the first half of 1997, where while he didn’t take any liberties with the man, I’m sure was his way to try and hurt him for real with an occasional ‘accidental’ potato (a fake strike that hits for real) or chair shot. It would finally end at the July 1997 PPV, where Sullivan, light years away from his initial attempts to destroy Hogan, and Hogan having become a heel 100x hotter than he’d ever been in WCW, lost a Career vs Career match vs Benoit when Jacquelyn turned on Sullivan for no reason, smashed him with a chair, and let Benoit get the pin as she skipped over to manage the black tag team Harlem Heat, never giving a reason for her turn. Sullivan retired from full time wrestling to focus on being a booker, for better or for worse. And as one final irony, Nancy, as Woman, the entire reason this had happened, vanished from WCW TV in mid 1997 before this final match and never returned or was mentioned again, retiring from the business out of nowhere to manage her new husband’s career at home. And we all know how that ended.

Thus was the saga of the Dungeon of Doom. So what have we learned?

Nothing? The stone’s shattered to gravel that Hogan’s used to pave his driveway? Yeah, not surprised.

---

If you really want more from the Doomsday Steel Cage, WWF has you covered!

Every Dungeon of Doom member; I used this video as a primary source.

And as Trollologist said that the Dungeon would have been his jam as a kid, the group apparently did have a shirt, but it was rare and probably is a collector's item now as a result.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 27, 2022

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The Champ is here!

The Champ is here!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vince is currently trying to murder his son-in-law because triple H failed to destroy AEW and so that makes him a failure

I love this Crusader Kings poo poo

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I apparently significantly misremembered the WWE Juniors Division and was giving WWE way more credit for it than they deserved. If anyone would like to delve into more details about it, I would absolutely love to read a break down of it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Jamesman posted:

I apparently significantly misremembered the WWE Juniors Division and was giving WWE way more credit for it than they deserved. If anyone would like to delve into more details about it, I would absolutely love to read a break down of it.

All I remember was a tiny, greasy guy named Super Porky who was always shown eating an entire ham.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Gavok posted:

All I remember was a tiny, greasy guy named Super Porky who was always shown eating an entire ham.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Sorry no but this is clearly indie wrestling legend The Trashman.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I have a very specific memory of wrestling from a kid, sometime around the late 90's. It was one of those backstage scenes, where two wrestlers were walking together, when some pizza delivery dweeb (even had a pizza hat) appeared and said that he;s a huge fan and would love an autograph. The two wrestlers looked at each other with maniac smiles and laughing then proceeded to beat the poo poo out of the guy and dunk him in a garbage can.

I was like :magical: :ohdear:

It's a longshot but does anybody remember the wrestlers I'm talking about?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I am delighted that no more pity and patience will be expended on Cesaro.

Being strong does not make you watchable.

I look forward to him blending into the walls in some unremarkable lesser fed like Freddy Prince's SAGWF

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Great thread BTW

I'm :corsair: and haven't paid much attention to wrestling since I was a little kid since, well, it seems so loving childish and stupid I guess. But as I got older and learned about the carny aesthetic and all the shady and ridiculous poo poo that goes on, I've kind of learned to at least see the humor in it.

I grew up as a SmallerBoat watching it on cable when TBS first became a thing and also the local stuff in the Philly area. Bob Backlund seemed like he was champion FOREVER and I hated it cause he was so boring to me. I remember names like Jay Strongbow (yikes), Bruno Sammartino, Superstar Billy Graham, Tony Atlas, Austin Idol, Terry Funk, Andre (of course), Ivan Kolloff, The Sheik, Samoans, Lou Albano, Harley Race and Ivan Putski. Dudes like that. When I was 7, this poo poo was awesome and also one of only like 5 things on TV at any given time so I watched a lot of it.

What's a good documentary or a decent read for what the business was like around then and the people involved in it? Or better yet one of you dudes can do one of your awesome write ups on some of that poo poo.

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned but there's a really good documentary on G.L.O.W. that's on Netflix. Or was.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Now’s as good a time as any to talk about how WWE just kind of wasted Claudio Castagnoli, AKA Cesaro. In the 2000’s, “Swiss Superman” Claudio was the one indie wrestler that people considered can’t-miss. It was only a matter of time before he got signed with WWE and he was going to be a big deal. He was super-strong, tall, agile, charismatic, and just a drat good wrestle guy.

He was hired initially at the end of 2006, only to be fired a few months later before he ever actually wrestled. Then he was hired again at the end of 2011. He wrestled in developmental as Antonio Cesaro and came to the main roster with a gimmick being that he was a former rugby player who got blacklisted for being too violent. Sure, why not.

Early on, he was doing fine. He ended up having a fairly long reign as United States Champion where his deal was that he liked the ideals of America, but thought Americans were fat, stupid losers. After losing the title (his only singles title), he went down to NXT for a little bit just for the sake of having kickass matches. Somewhere along the line, they tried giving him a yodeling gimmick for God knows why.

He was put in a tag team with “All-American American” Jack Swagger called the Real Americans. They had a good run together as heels. Somewhere in this, Vince McMahon decided to change Antonio Cesaro’s name to just Cesaro because he didn’t think anyone would be able to accept somebody named Antonio as being tough. Which is a weird stance, since Antonio Inoki is the Hulk Hogan of Japan.

At the WrestleMania 30 pre-show, the Real Americans lost a match and Swagger blamed it on Cesaro, causing the two to come to blows. That night was the first ever Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal. Not only did Cesaro win it, but he won it in an amazing moment where he LIFTED UP the Big Show and threw him out of the ring. Big Show shook his hand out of respect and it looked like the beginning of a major face push for Cesaro.

I mean, at the very least, he should have moved into a blood feud or something with Swagger, right?

Another thing that happened at WrestleMania 30 was Brock Lesnar (with Paul Heyman in his corner) defeated the Undertaker. For those who weren’t watching around this time, the Undertaker had never been defeated at WrestleMania for decades and ending the Streak was considered the biggest thing a wrestler could ever do. Brock finally did it, which turned him into this unbeatable final boss character. Brock was only a part-timer, though, and wasn’t going to be around week to week. They needed a way for Paul Heyman to talk about how Brock was “the 1 behind 21-1.”

So they kept Cesaro heel and gave him Paul Heyman as a manager. Cesaro had zero success during this time and Heyman did nothing for him. Cesaro was just there to stand around while Heyman reminded everyone that Brock Lesnar exists and beat the Undertaker that one time.

One of Cesaro’s go-to moves was the Cesaro Swing, which was him grabbing his opponent by the legs and spinning around a bunch of times. Due to his strength and balance, he could do the move for an extensively long time, which would get him huge reactions. WWE told him to cut that poo poo out because they didn’t want him to be cheered at all.

On the WWE Network, they would occasionally do live editions of Steve Austin’s podcast with a special guest. One such episode had him interview Vince McMahon. Austin asked him point-blank about how could they have dropped the ball on Cesaro. They set him up so perfectly at WrestleMania 30, then immediately poo poo the bed in every way. Vince blamed it on two things: 1) Cesaro is Swiss and has an accent, and 2) Cesaro didn’t “grab the brass ring.” In other words, Cesaro didn’t get pushed because Vince said so.

Cesaro toiled in the midcard for years and was given a special opportunity when faced with new rival Sheamus. The idea was that the two would have a Best-of-Seven series and the first to get four wins would get a title shot. When it came down to 3-3, the two then wrestled to a draw. From there, they became reluctant tag team partners competing for the tag titles. This ended up working out well and they won the tag titles several times over as The Bar.

But this is WWE and WWE cares little for tag teams. Going into WrestleMania 34, various tag teams competed in a battle royal where the winning team would face the Bar for the titles at the PPV. Angry, large man Braun Strowman entered himself into the battle royal and won it decisively despite being just one guy. For weeks, he was evasive on the answer of who is tag partner was going to be. Then at WrestleMania, he just walked into the crowd, chose a random kid named Nicholas (in reality a referee’s son), and easily won the tag titles singlehandedly.

Oh, and somewhere during this run with the Bar, Cesaro got a loving gnarly injury where he was knocked face first into the corner post and his front teeth were shoved inches up his mouth. He still finished the match.

Once the Bar split up, Cesaro floated around the midcard some more. With his contract coming up last year, WWE asked him to sign a one-year extension and promised that it would be totally worth his while by coming with a big push. He signed it and he did get a pretty big win over Seth Rollins at WrestleMania. After that, he challenged for the title against Roman Reigns, lost, and never had momentum ever again.

As of today, he is gone from WWE. Already on a losing streak, he wasn’t interested in signing yet another contract. He’s good friends with Bryan Danielson, so expect him in AEW any day now.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I saw the very beginning of Cesaro's 2nd run in WWE and thought he was gonna rise to the top, but the WWE keeps tripping over its own dick.

Reminds me of Christian. He finally got a title reign in like 2012 and they immediately hotshot it to Orton. Which isn't unexpected, Randy's a top guy. But then they turned Christian into a whining sadsack and I hated that poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Vince McMahon can spin gold into poo poo.

That barb about him being a millionaire instead of a billionaire is so true.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

shadow puppet of a posted:

I am delighted that no more pity and patience will be expended on Cesaro.

Being strong does not make you watchable.

I look forward to him blending into the walls in some unremarkable lesser fed like Freddy Prince's SAGWF

You are unbelievably, incredibly, stupendously dumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTwgG_qg6-4

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Cesaro’s decade long inadequate slump of underperformance will surely be fixed by some insults and a YouTube. This will make it all better.

Being a good guy backstage that watches the fannypacks gets you sympathy “aww you should be pushed bro , why don’t they push you bro?” Gladhanding from your peers on twitter but it it was never intended as a serious endorsement of Swiss wallpaper paste’s star power potential. Shame you fell for it.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

shadow puppet of a posted:

Cesaro’s decade long inadequate slump of underperformance will surely be fixed by some insults and a YouTube. This will make it all better.

Being a good guy backstage that watches the fannypacks gets you sympathy “aww you should be pushed bro , why don’t they push you bro?” Gladhanding from your peers on twitter but it it was never intended as a serious endorsement of Swiss wallpaper paste’s star power potential. Shame you fell for it.

Cesaro always stuck me as a wrestler that needs like a cuh-razy gimmick or else he just becomes "muscle guy" which kind of works, but not in WWE, where muscle guy is default.

Like, El Generico was one of the hotter Indy talents when he was working. But who the gently caress cares about "Sammy Zayn"?

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone explain for to me how Scott Steiner went from "strong man" to "chainmail clad manic ranting about numbers who appears to be the living embodiment of human growth hormone"?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Trollologist posted:

Can someone explain for to me how Scott Steiner went from "strong man" to "chainmail clad manic ranting about numbers who appears to be the living embodiment of human growth hormone"?
no one can explain that, no

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Trollologist posted:

steroids and head trauma OP

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Trollologist posted:

Well you see he's a genetic FREAK and he's NOT NORMAL. He's also your hookup HOLLA IF YOU HEAR ME

which frankly explains the whole thing imo

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Trollologist posted:

16-Bit Butt Head more or less said it.

Steiner had always had a possible chance to be a singles star earlier in his career with his size, look, and agility for said size (no idea how well or badly he could promo at that time, though), but bad timing and personal choice kept him in his tag team until the late 90's, when he was one of the many people who joined the NWO. But even before then, it was pretty obvious he had started seriously abusing steroids with how drat big his arms had gotten. It caused WCW numerous issues in its last years, as Steiner's steroid abuse put him into intense rages where not only would he go off the script in his promos (at one point saying on air something along the lines of "Ric Flair is a jealous rear end kissing butt sucking bastard, and when he came on everyone switched their channel to Raw, because WCW SUCKS!"), he'd literally try and maim people in legit backstage fights, but at that point WCW had so little left that they kept pushing him as one of their top stars right up until the company folded. Then he moved onto WWE for a time, where he had an utterly disastrous match with Triple H that killed any chance he had of getting to the top there, and from there he went to TNA, where I have no idea if he mellowed out or I just don't know what new lunacy he got up to. Maybe he managed to focus all his lunacy onto his promos.

He might have been on to something in regards to that genetic freak claim though, as it's now 2022 and he's STILL WRESTLING, or at least, has not officially retired yet. So with the fact his heart hasn't exploded or all his muscles haven't been reduced to rotten string cheese, and the fact that I don't think he's slimmed down much at all, maybe he's just too drat lucky in that regard.

Then again, when checking the last date he wrestled for TNA, I found this.

quote:

On March 6, 2020, during the Impact! taping in Atlanta it was reported that Steiner had collapsed back stage and had stopped breathing requiring his heart to be shocked with a defibrillator.

So maybe he's just one more promo away from his heart going pop after all.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 25, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
scott steiner has also nearly died from a torn trachea after being kicked in the throat while wrestling for TNA

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 25, 2022

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
All I know about Scott Steiner in TNA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkDeJucAuCk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7feOnIZhsEI

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I would not be surprised if we end up seeing a wrestling event with a double-digit body count.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I thought the video title was some kind of metaphor or something but nope, it’s completely accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Trollologist posted:

Somewhere around 98 or 99, Buff Bagwell was able to get into Scott's head and make him realize how strong he really was and how he didn't even need Rick to begin with. Scott started flexing more and started winning tag matches on his own without tagging Rick in. He finally turned on Rick and joined up with Buff and the nWo, which is when he underwent the transformation into the BIG BAD BOOTY DADDY!