Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
In my very early years as a sys admin, I actually had a subscription to Experts Exchange and got good value out of it, so there's that I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My brain still changes it is Expert Sexchange because I am 12.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer

HappyHippo posted:

Presumably they could be donated or given away?

Places I've worked have sold them to a corporate reseller at a discount who I guess refurb them and resell them.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...

BigPaddy posted:

My brain still changes it is Expert Sexchange because I am 12.

Similarly for me, I was still a teen full of hopes and dreams to change the world when I was using this site. Now I’m old and I work in a bank. I’ve become « the man ».

Thanks for the nostalgia hit.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Today at work, I helped someone with "over 25 years programming experience" who didn't know what a TCP port is or that his database uses one to accept incoming connections

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Sounds like my day explaining CORS to a web developer. “This used to work!”, yes before you know security on the intarwebs.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Does anyone use a remote development environment? Either something like GitHub codespaces or just a hand rolled thing? I was just introduced to the idea today when looking at ways to improve docker performance on MacOS and now I'm super interested. If i wasn't running a bunch of node dev servers and Ruby instances and stuff all the time I could trade my MBP in for an M1 air, or hop over to my windows PC for development.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have never seen the point of remote dev environments. If you are doing something where you need horsepower, put a 5950X and boatload of memory on a local machine and let it fly. You can make that real for under $1500. I don't even think remote dev spaces offer something fatter than that anyway. If you are paying for an equivalent box In The Cloud™, you'll break even in 3 months. If you are bound to MacOS...that sucks.

As I see it, if you have a reason to use something like Codespaces, you should just build a box. The experience is better for the developer. The cost is lower on the timescale of 'months'. You can actually customize your environment. You can more deliberately spec out the hardware.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

prom candy posted:

Does anyone use a remote development environment? Either something like GitHub codespaces or just a hand rolled thing? I was just introduced to the idea today when looking at ways to improve docker performance on MacOS and now I'm super interested. If i wasn't running a bunch of node dev servers and Ruby instances and stuff all the time I could trade my MBP in for an M1 air, or hop over to my windows PC for development.

My office standardized on one and I very strongly dislike it. But I'm in management, so my personal distaste hasn't made my list.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I have never seen the point of remote dev environments. If you are doing something where you need horsepower, put a 5950X and boatload of memory on a local machine and let it fly. You can make that real for under $1500. I don't even think remote dev spaces offer something fatter than that anyway. If you are paying for an equivalent box In The Cloud™, you'll break even in 3 months. If you are bound to MacOS...that sucks.

As I see it, if you have a reason to use something like Codespaces, you should just build a box. The experience is better for the developer. The cost is lower on the timescale of 'months'. You can actually customize your environment. You can more deliberately spec out the hardware.

I'm bound to MacOS in that I generally like MacOS and I don't want to buy a non-Mac laptop for various reasons that will derail this thread. When you say build a box do you mean build a PC in my house that I shell into to do development, or build a PC and use it as my dev machine? I looked into doing the latter a couple years ago and spent a couple months booting to Kubuntu on my gaming PC as my primary dev environment and it was nice, but ultimately my main work computer needs to be a laptop.

leper khan posted:

My office standardized on one and I very strongly dislike it. But I'm in management, so my personal distaste hasn't made my list.

What don't you like about it?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My new team since the reorg keeps asking me if I want to switch to AWS Workspaces and I don't know how many ways I need to tell them it would be adding the lag of a network round-trip for zero gain before they get it and stop asking.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

When you say build a box do you mean build a PC in my house that I shell into to do development, or build a PC and use it as my dev machine?

I have strong opinions about MacOS, so that might color a lot of my thoughts here.

I say build a box and use it as your dev machine. Reducing complexity in the chain from 'idea > dev > build > test' is very valuable to me. Being able to run VS, build, and test on the same box is a big deal. To that end, I strongly support the idea of building a beefy box that you work on as your primary dev box.

However, if you must be on a laptop, that's a bummer, but then my solution would be to do the latter: RDP into Windows or remote into a Linux box that serves as your main dev machine.

My personal setup is that I have a monster desktop that serves as my main dev machine, and a Macbook that is nothing but an RDP client to access said machine when I can't be there physically for whatever reason.

CPColin posted:

My new team since the reorg keeps asking me if I want to switch to AWS Workspaces and I don't know how many ways I need to tell them it would be adding the lag of a network round-trip for zero gain before they get it and stop asking.

It's worse than gaining zero. Latency aside, the boxes you are renting from AWS are pretty lovely. The top end, non-GPU box has 8 logical cores, 32 GB of memory and 275 GB of storage and you are paying $140/month for it. You could just build an equivalent machine and then some for <$700 right now. A Ryzen 3600 is going to outrun that VM. If you have correctly identified that developer time is more expensive then hardware, then you will quickly realize you are burning up enormous amounts of cash compared to the sheer time save you'd realize out of a top end consumer Zen 3 or Alder Lake unit would net you.

It's so bizarre. I have no idea how remote workspaces get business. There is nothing to be gained here but pain.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 10, 2022

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

prom candy posted:

What don't you like about it?

There's a tight coupling to specific editors in our implementation of it that is problematic. If VPN or AWS are down for any reason, no work can be done. Latency can be an issue. It has a non-zero cost, and hasn't reduced our per-user up front costs for workstations. It's added significant complexity to our tooling/process, and I haven't seen reductions in maintenance costs or reduction in defect rates etc.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

I have strong opinions about MacOS, so that might color a lot of my thoughts here.

I say build a box and use it as your dev machine. Reducing complexity in the chain from 'idea > dev > build > test' is very valuable to me. Being able to run VS, build, and test on the same box is a big deal. To that end, I strongly support the idea of building a beefy box that you work on as your primary dev box.

However, if you must be on a laptop, that's a bummer, but then my solution would be to do the latter: RDP into Windows or remote into a Linux box that serves as your main dev machine.

My personal setup is that I have a monster desktop that serves as my main dev machine, and a Macbook that is nothing but an RDP client to access said machine when I can't be there physically for whatever reason.

Yeah, this isn't quite what I'm after I don't think. I move around a lot, both in terms of I work on the road a fair bit during the summer months and also I just like to move around the house and work in different spots so I don't want to be chained to a desktop machine. RDP starts to introduce input latency which is a dealbreaker for me. I'm thinking more along the lines of using VS Code's remote features where the IDE is still running on my computer but editing remote files. I suppose I could do the same thing and just set up a monster box and access it via SSH instead of RDP but then I have to janitor that computer and keep it alive and if the power or internet goes out at home while I'm on the road I'm out of luck.

leper khan posted:

There's a tight coupling to specific editors in our implementation of it that is problematic. If VPN or AWS are down for any reason, no work can be done. Latency can be an issue. It has a non-zero cost, and hasn't reduced our per-user up front costs for workstations. It's added significant complexity to our tooling/process, and I haven't seen reductions in maintenance costs or reduction in defect rates etc.

Fair points.

You guys are telling me the stove is hot but I still really want to touch it for some reason.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

prom candy posted:

I mentioned it at some point recently, but GitPod works well. It doesn't need much network capacity, can share workspaces, and it's just Docker so you can run the entire stack locally if you want.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Product: "Virtually no new users are filling out this survey we present to them the first time they access the application!! We need this data."
Me: "Yeah, people probably aren't interested in sharing those details about themselves before they've had a chance to see what kind of value they could get from the app. Why don't we have a polite invitation notification to solicit their details once they've gone through the rest of the first-time user experience and use the app a bit?"
Product: "Make the survey unskippable."
:suicide:

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Some IT has a hardon for jumpboxes and fully managed systems you don’t have physical access to fiddle with.

I know my security folks would love it. Idgi.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Cugel the Clever posted:

Product: "Virtually no new users are filling out this survey we present to them the first time they access the application!! We need this data."
Me: "Yeah, people probably aren't interested in sharing those details about themselves before they've had a chance to see what kind of value they could get from the app. Why don't we have a polite invitation notification to solicit their details once they've gone through the rest of the first-time user experience and use the app a bit?"
Product: "Make the survey unskippable."
:suicide:

Lol.

"Also, default to 5/5 stars in all categories "
so I can point out the super high scores at my next review

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I am dealing with a outright hostile product group at a client who are the center of the Venn diagram of incompetent, politically motivated and technically ignorant. I have had a number of conversations with my Business Partner about how we need to move on from them before the asks for from stupid to setting people up for failure to be able to blame us for a projects failure. It is a large contract with a large company in a space we have a lot of experience in but we have a lot of other work that we can move too that is not going to be arguing with the Market Dept from Dilbert.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So I gave remote-ssh with vscode a go over the weekend and it seems kinda good. It really feels like I'm working locally. It has port forwarding built in as well which is a nice touch. I didn't spend enough time with it to run into any issues yet.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have a coworker who uses that, but he's also like, an AWS junkie so he uses some AWS instance as a dev box (I think ????).

Doesn't really complain about it though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Protocol7 posted:

I have a coworker who uses that, but he's also like, an AWS junkie so he uses some AWS instance as a dev box (I think ????).

Doesn't really complain about it though.

My main client is all on AWS and I can't understand that poo poo. I wanted to add some hard drive space to an EC2 instance and I felt like I needed a four year degree from Amazon University to figure it out. I ended up just deleting stuff off the instance.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

AWS is super opaque compared to Google Cloud or Azure. It just the interface but the documentation as well. Stuff that should take minutes can take hours because the docs are missing, out of date or just wrong. There is a reason why products like Terraform exist to make it less frustrating.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
If I was starting my own company I would probably host it on some kind of PaaS and pay the premium because my time is better spent not loving around with that. It's amazing how much time some people are willing to spend to save like $50/mo.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

BigPaddy posted:

AWS is super opaque compared to Google Cloud or Azure. It just the interface but the documentation as well. Stuff that should take minutes can take hours because the docs are missing, out of date or just wrong. There is a reason why products like Terraform exist to make it less frustrating.

That's interesting because I have pretty much the exact opposite opinion, including an opinion where I question why anyone would use terraform for AWS because it is strictly worse than the platform native comparison of CloudFormation, including and especially the documentation.

Of the 3 major US providers AWS tends to have the best, most complete, and most up-to-date documentation for its core features. In my experience the only other provider even in the same league is Alibaba Cloud, but you're not likely to run into them unless you need to do business in China. In OP's case there are step-by-step instructions for performing that particular task through the web interface or the CLI.

If you were to use CloudFormation instead, the AWS::EC2::Volume resource specification has detailed information about what the "size" property is, what its type is, and most importantly: what happens when you change it. After you publish a change to a volume you'll be presented with a cloudformation change set which includes explicit, detailed information about what is going to change, why it's changing, and what impact this will have on your resource (in this case, "No Interruption").

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Working with AWS et al makes me want to go back to just buying my own hardware and renting half a rack (unless I really do need to do goofy scaling things).

For every magical thing cloud services do 'for free', there is some bullshit lurking in the background. It's like, the biggest monkey's paw in tech.

The problem is always upfront cost in both hardware and config. I'm looking into that right now for a potential service a friends and I want to start up. We'd save big on the monthly and have all the freedom and flexibility that comes with having your own hardware, but the upfront costs are gross and honestly I could swallow that pill if I didn't have to deal with maintenence. I'm so, so sick of having to deal with critical data /config...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

prom candy posted:

My main client is all on AWS and I can't understand that poo poo. I wanted to add some hard drive space to an EC2 instance and I felt like I needed a four year degree from Amazon University to figure it out. I ended up just deleting stuff off the instance.

I can understand like the DigitalOcean level of cloud stuff. Hell, I pay for a few cheapo instances for work stuff from time to time. But yeah, AWS stuff is just moonspeak to me otherwise.

Not that DigitalOcean is really in the same tier of cloud, but I digress.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

12 rats tied together posted:

That's interesting because I have pretty much the exact opposite opinion, including an opinion where I question why anyone would use terraform for AWS because it is strictly worse than the platform native comparison of CloudFormation, including and especially the documentation.

I should have added that I was working with API Gateway to add custom authentication in front of a Lambda function to create presigned S3 urls to get around issues with Salesforce having strict limits on file sizes via their available heap per transaction so not a typical use case and not using EC2 at all. I have setup similar “hacks” when doing Salesforce projects for clients who need large file uploads and found it might more straight forward in other cloud providers. The documentation for AWS for this case had some circular links in it and never really explained a lot so tile was burned on trial and error to get things to work.

At least they were not sold Heroku to try and do this stuff as that is :barf:

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Working with AWS et al makes me want to go back to just buying my own hardware and renting half a rack (unless I really do need to do goofy scaling things).

For every magical thing cloud services do 'for free', there is some bullshit lurking in the background. It's like, the biggest monkey's paw in tech.

The problem is always upfront cost in both hardware and config. I'm looking into that right now for a potential service a friends and I want to start up. We'd save big on the monthly and have all the freedom and flexibility that comes with having your own hardware, but the upfront costs are gross and honestly I could swallow that pill if I didn't have to deal with maintenence. I'm so, so sick of having to deal with critical data /config...

You can get a lot done with a raspberry pi on a solid network connection. Don't even need a half rack IMO. I'd be happy with like 2u

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Of the 3 major US providers AWS tends to have the best, most complete, and most up-to-date documentation for its core features. In my experience the only other provider even in the same league is Alibaba Cloud, but you're not likely to run into them unless you need to do business in China. In OP's case there are step-by-step instructions for performing that particular task through the web interface or the CLI.

If you were to use CloudFormation instead, the AWS::EC2::Volume resource specification has detailed information about what the "size" property is, what its type is, and most importantly: what happens when you change it. After you publish a change to a volume you'll be presented with a cloudformation change set which includes explicit, detailed information about what is going to change, why it's changing, and what impact this will have on your resource (in this case, "No Interruption").

CloudFormation used to be absolute dogshit and I don't blame anyone for avoiding it even if it's a lot better now.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

The interface for AWS generally makes me want to die and everything is named incomprehensibly. That said I've used GCP a lot more, and while it mostly works fine my biggest complaint is definitely documentation. I haven't found it wildly out of date or entirely absent for anything, but often they'll provide a couple examples of how to do a thing or use a feature without actually documenting it, so if you don't want to do exactly what's in the examples you get to do a lot of googling. The way their docs are organized also sucks poo poo.

Also their billing breakdowns are either intentionally obfuscatory or they're just bad. Potentially both. You'd imagine it would be simple to, say, find out how much you were paying on a per resource level and you would be wrong.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 16, 2022

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Wallet posted:

The interface for AWS generally makes me want to die and everything is named incomprehensibly. That said I've used GCP a lot more, and while it mostly works fine my biggest complaint is definitely documentation. I haven't found it wildly out of date or entirely absent for anything, but often they'll provide a couple examples of how to do a thing or use a feature without actually documenting it, so if you don't want to do exactly what's in the examples you get to do a lot of googling. The way their docs are organized also sucks poo poo.

Also their billing breakdowns are either intentionally obfuscatory or they're just bad. Potentially both. You'd imagine it would be simple to, say, find out how much you were paying on a per resource level and you would be wrong.

The billing thing is exactly what we ran into. We setup some trial system and at some point someone enabled some kind of too large instance that didn't even get used. It started billing some massive amount, but for some reason we weren't notified for awhile ( I don't remember the specifics). We didn't want to shut it all down, but we wanted to find out what was costing so much. It turned out we had to enable some feature just to see how much individual components were costing. Why that wouldn't be enabled by default? After enabling it, we weren't able to actually get costs from it for 24 hours. I ended up having to get on support and fight with them to tell me wtf was costing so much. Which, in fairness, they found, turned off, and refunded the amount. But the whole thing was such a run-around, and generally left a bad taste in my mouth. Anything intentionally obtuse that wastes engineer hours, especially a function so simple as "how much are these things costing", is pretty infuriating.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I got dinged in a free AWS account because it lets you turn on stuff, in this case key management, that are not free without being obvious that is the case. It was a whole $0.04 so I will live.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I liked GCP for a bit because I had $300 in free credit that went for quite a while with some cheapo non-mission critical VPSes. Its interface is better than AWSes, I would argue, but only marginally.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Billing is 100% designed to favor the provider in all the various ways. I'm kinda surprised they don't get more poo poo for it.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I totally deleted my AWS account after I just couldn't figure out what kept costing me money. I had spun up some cheap stuff for a tutorial and kept getting charged even after I tore it down. I checked the billing dashboard and deleted everything referenced there. And wow wouldn't you know they still just kept finding a reason to bill me for something like 59 cents.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

a dingus posted:

I totally deleted my AWS account after I just couldn't figure out what kept costing me money. I had spun up some cheap stuff for a tutorial and kept getting charged even after I tore it down. I checked the billing dashboard and deleted everything referenced there. And wow wouldn't you know they still just kept finding a reason to bill me for something like 59 cents.

Look at this dweeb, getting their own Cuckoo's Egg and declining to get involved.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Volmarias posted:

Look at this dweeb, getting their own Cuckoo's Egg and declining to get involved.

75 cents was a lot more money 30 years ago, mind you!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Protocol7 posted:

75 cents was a lot more money 30 years ago, mind you!

quote:

Value of $0.75 from 1990 to 2022
$0.75 in 1990 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $1.61 today, an increase of $0.86 over 32 years.

Not sure "a lot" is an appropriate descriptor here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
You could buy two packs of Bonkers at the Montgomery Ward.