Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

the popes toes posted:

A potentially less dishonorable demonstration would be to dismantle Ukrainian hardware and then withdraw. Putin could announce that his purpose was to remove the threat. It would also be a pointed reminder that any Ukrainian desire to enter Nato is illussary. At this point, I might prefer this outcome to the ugly alternatives.

You can stop applying any sort of rationale to Putin's thinking here. He wants Ukraine and its people wiped out. He doesn't even believe Ukraine has the right to exist.
That's his purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Yureina posted:

Well poo poo... I didn't think the rear end in a top hat would actually do it. I give my best to anyone here in Ukraine. Your country is being invaded by a complete shitbag who needs to be wacked before this is over.

The chances of the world seeing Putin's blood covered body in grainy hand held phone social media feed grows more and more every day.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

God this is terrifying

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1496706137432993794/pu/vid/464x848/GNWYW9odFnJgZCeX.mp4?tag=12

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

happyhippy posted:

The chances of the world seeing Putin's blood covered body in grainy hand held phone social media feed grows more and more every day.

This is his swan song, he'll likely retire with a great deal of propaganda and fanfare in a decade and never face any consequences for this.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Air raid sirens going off in Kyiv

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/HayesBrown/status/1496710912648044548

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Despera posted:

Oh its certain he is going to put up a puppet state

Or he might not even bother, spend a few weeks blowing up as much military hardware and infrastructure as he can, execute every political figure he can find, and then pull back to the parts he actually wants and just leave the rest completely destabilized.

I can't see any puppet government Russia sets up in Ukraine lasting a week after their military pulls out.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Ah I see we've reached the manic-depressive debate part of the current event.
The joys of swinging wildly between "Putin will rue the day! He shall fall hence!" and "HE WILL DIE PAINLESSLY SURROUNDED BY AN ADORING WORLD AS THE HAPPIEST MAN TO EVER EXIST".

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Negostrike posted:

Air raid sirens going off in Kyiv
Yeah was chilling watching a live reporter on MSNBC have to stop and listen as the sirens began for the first time.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

JosefStalinator posted:

This is his swan song, he'll likely retire with a great deal of propaganda and fanfare in a decade and never face any consequences for this.

He is not retiring after what happened to Nazarbaev.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Al-Jazeera's reporter in Mariupol says he's heard two very loud explosions in the past two hours and that's about it, and that there's reported of shelling in Berdiansk from across the border

so the whole "amphibious invasion at Mariupol underway NOW!!!" tweet rumor does not seem to be registering to people in Mariupol

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Honestly if you put it to the General Assembly as an up or down vote on Russia having a seat on the security council, they'd probably get kicked off.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Celexi posted:

I am so loving mad, and sad, I can't believe this, can someone tell me this isn't real please someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lHgbbM9pu4

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Where is this?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ukraine finds one weird trick to fix the UN, Russians hate it!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JosefStalinator posted:

Or he may get put out to pasture by the oligarchs, just as he did with Yeltsin. I have a hard time seeing how this will be profitable for them.

Not saying it will happen, just a possibility.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

KillHour posted:

We could have done "joint military exercises" with Ukrane that just happened to line up with Russia's "military exercises" if we did it a month ago. The US's military is so big that our Navy is the world's second largest Airforce, for gently caress's sake. But that was a political non starter.

Russia is saying "we're going to cause death and destruction and if you try to stop us we will cause even more" and your argument is pretty much "you heard what they said, nothing we can do." Sorry if that feels unsatisfactory, even if it's logical in a vacuum.

You genuinely think that would have improved the situation?

It clearly wouldn't have. It clearly would have been an even bigger mess.

Nobody is asking you to be satisfied, though I'm asking you to recognize the least bad of all the bad options and not bang on war drums because you're upset that Russia has worked its way into a position where it can do whatever the gently caress it wants with Ukraine. If we go back to 2014 and start over from there, then maybe there's a diplomatic solution.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Pook Good Mook posted:

How different are dialects with Russian spoken in Ukraine and Russia itself? Would Ukrainians be able to pick up on a Russian trying to blend in or vice versa?

they're different languages

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Trump posted:

Where is this?

Kharkhiv according to the stream I'm watching that is following social media reports live. That's from a while ago. It's already daylight in Ukraine.

Add-on: The two SU-25s in the video have to be Ukrainian, as Russia wouldn't fly those out alone, and they have lots of newer stuff. They should build monuments in the future to the two Ukrainian pilots willingly getting into a 25-year-old aircraft to go up against a modern airforce.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 24, 2022

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I surprised (maybe I shouldn’t be) by the numbers of tweets I’m seeing from people calling for the end of Russian sanctions because “it only hurts the working class” and the west should just keep its nose out of Russia’s business. These aren’t the typical “Dave4964729173” type accounts but accounts with lots of followers.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

That looks like a SU-25 Frogfoot, close support aircraft.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This was posted a couple pages back and is complete misinformation.

Yeah, I'm thinking that's some sort of long-con Russian psyops account.

Mr. Apollo posted:

I surprised (maybe I shouldn’t be) by the numbers of tweets I’m seeing from people calling for the end of Russian sanctions because “it only hurts the working class” and the west should just keep its nose out of Russia’s business. These aren’t the typical “Dave4964729173” type accounts but accounts with lots of followers.

Nah, those are a bunch of tankie useful idiots who believe that Russian can't do anything wrong because US/NATO exists.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Majorian posted:

Or he may get put out to pasture by the oligarchs, just as he did with Yeltsin. I have a hard time seeing how this will be profitable for them.

Not saying it will happen, just a possibility.

If he greatly underestimated Ukranian strength, and the Russian army gets a black eye, that's totally possible.

As one posted said above he may be put to pasture Nazarbayev style in retirement, but Putin's position seems more secure from start to finish and safer from either scenario.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
drat, if only UK had sanctioned four oligarchs instead of just three, we might have been able to avoid this tragedy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr. Apollo posted:

The world is full of human scum

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
things that hurt the working class: sanctions
things that do not hurt the working class: being exploded by heavy artillery

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking that's some sort of long-con Russian psyops account.

More likely just some idiots.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Yes, Sanctions don't actually do poo poo to stop dictators and largely just gently caress over the people they rule over to destabilize things, with a fairly poor track record at that for the most part. That is literally how sanctions have always worked and why everyone hates them.

Like, has Putin given a single poo poo about sanctions? Last I checked he said "lol" and started exploding Ukraine.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Rad Russian posted:

Kharkhiv according to the stream I'm watching that is following social media reports live. That's from a while ago. It's already daylight in Ukraine.

Add-on: The two SU-25s in the video have to be Ukrainian, as Russia wouldn't fly those out alone, and they have lots of newer stuff. They should build monuments in the future to the two Ukrainian pilots willingly getting into a 25-year-old aircraft to go up against a modern airforce.

The Russian Air Force also has SU-25s. It's a bit older in design, originally released in the 1970s. The airframes themselves may be much newer, of course.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

yeah my stomach would churn seeing this in person. good lord.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

It's probably just a peacekeeping missile

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

BoldFace posted:

I'm surprised they still have jets left.

A few years back Trump bombed a Syrian Arab Air Force air base and the official line from Syria was that "We moved all our aircraft to a different airbase" and people just accepted the idea that nothing important got hit and all the bombs just made craters in the pavement that could be covered up in hours. Nobody thought to check that the aircraft were still there or hit the fuel and repair depots associated with the base, just complete Syrian victory.

Realistically the US hit targets that US doctrine said would cause the most trouble for the SyAAF given the timeframe. Long term those aircraft really stopped showing up in the numbers they used to. Given the current war and timeframe, Russia probably aimed for targets that would keep the airports out of the fight for a few hours. That's all based on how good they are at actually carrying through on their doctrine. So who knows but don't count anyone out of the fight based on initial reports of explosions.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mr. Apollo posted:

Eh, I despise Russia's actions as much as most anyone here but I'm dubious of wide-ranging sanctions... for the first reason, not the second.

Freezing or taking the oligarchs' poo poo and possibly sanctioning the Russian MIC (tougher since they build most of their own Stuff but possible) though? Sure, hit Putin's real constituency in their wallets.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I've been informed by a friend that there have been bombings in Moldova - meaning that NATO involvement is inescapable. Aren't there Russians stationed in Transnistria attacking Ukraine and not Moldova? What's going on there?

https://twitter.com/kylenabecker/status/1496711456951357441?s=20&t=vUTzl2TI5QPHJN21VkoEyg
https://twitter.com/GraduatedBen/status/1496709459820879872?s=20&t=7cv21hznSrI-RZ6ji8_tFQ

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 24, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Grouchio posted:

I've been informed by a friend that there have been bombings in Moldova - meaning that NATO involvement is inescapable. Aren't there Russians stationed in Transnistria attacking Ukraine and not Moldova? What's going on there?

until this is independently corroborated by a couple of sources let's not rush to the assumption that Russia is somehow attacking NATO members at the same time as Ukraine

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Moldova isn't part of NATO so Iunno what he's talking about.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Grouchio posted:

Maldova isn't a member of NATO, just a partner state.

Not everything is true even if its from a friend.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Grouchio posted:

I'm fairly certain that's just a rumor and hasn't been verified anywhere I've been looking

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Grouchio posted:

None of those reports have been confirmed

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Grouchio posted:

I've been informed by a friend that there have been bombings in Moldova - meaning that NATO involvement is inescapable
I think we need a better source than 'a friend' to confirm an event that would massively escalate this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Eh, I despise Russia's actions as much as most anyone here but I'm dubious of wide-ranging sanctions... for the first reason, not the second.

Freezing or taking the oligarchs' poo poo and possibly sanctioning the Russian MIC (tougher since they build most of their own Stuff but possible) though? Sure, hit Putin's real constituency in their wallets.

All their money is in Swiss banks and NATO can't touch it. Maybe they can seize some yachts docked in France or some townhouses in London.

They can only really affect their ability to create new money by shutting out investment and profitable trade. Not easy to make them less rich.