Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Really missing some mods and not really feeling the chaos realms. I think a lot of the factions will be fun with a better map though. Might try a Skarbrand campaign where I never engage with the chaos realm stuff except to use the portals to travel over to anyone who has a soul and annihilate them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Muscle Tracer posted:

Got as far as the first wave of portals in a Cathay run, lost the race in Slaanesh's realm and decided to bounce over to a Khorne run. Holy poo poo Skarbrand is insanely satisfying to play! Absolutely love that there is a "fight some dudes" button which I plan to be hitting pretty much on cooldown, and Bloodcrushers seem to actually be GOOD cavalry???

Yeah, compared to the other 4 demon factions, Khorne is a breeze to play and really fun if you just want to get to the action. Much better replenishment than the other gods so you can just keep going without pause, good garrisons so you feel safe and since he's got no magic all his units are really strong as well

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Third World Reagan posted:

That isn't the victory point.

That is just a morale boost.

Yeah, a lot of the minors don't have victory points at all and people keep spreading themselves out and losing more than they have to trying to keep things.

Just keep the most chokepointed bit, that's literally all you need. Ideally the morale boost one with a "barricade" monument. Set up the tower at the start of the map before it begins, set up the monument whenever you get enough supplies, win by default.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

PerilPastry posted:

Just discovered a delightful new bug where you load in your campaign and suddenly you get a notification all your outposts are gone.

The reason? All your allies have declared war on you. And the problem persists across saves, lol

You know, I loaded a quick save and a faction I swore I was at war with, suddenly wasn't at war with me. I wonder if that's related.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"
There is a weird frustration with some units on the battlefield. Units will sometimes not do as ordered and will just kind of get stuck on an animation or something...like slowly lurching in place. If the unit has the ability to fire at will they will stop that too. It doesn't always happen but it means orders need to be issued more than once.

I thought it might be because they are in guard mode but sometimes it happens when I order to move to a slightly different unit depth. Maybe it is single unit hitboxes colliding that the game is having trouble calculating?

Another odd one is Tsarina on her bear will stop fighting a multiple entity unit she is ordered to attack after the initial charge and the special animations play (I think the bear mauls a single entity). If that unit runs away she will not follow.

I think Mandalore mentioned it in his YouTube review of the game. I guess this is pretty small beer in the history of Total War bugs but it is noticeable.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

A Perfect Twist posted:

There is a weird frustration with some units on the battlefield. Units will sometimes not do as ordered and will just kind of get stuck on an animation or something...like slowly lurching in place. If the unit has the ability to fire at will they will stop that too. It doesn't always happen but it means orders need to be issued more than once.

I thought it might be because they are in guard mode but sometimes it happens when I order to move to a slightly different unit depth. Maybe it is single unit hitboxes colliding that the game is having trouble calculating?

Another odd one is Tsarina on her bear will stop fighting a multiple entity unit she is ordered to attack after the initial charge and the special animations play (I think the bear mauls a single entity). If that unit runs away she will not follow.

I think Mandalore mentioned it in his YouTube review of the game. I guess this is pretty small beer in the history of Total War bugs but it is noticeable.

I've noticed this several times too, it seems to happen the most near terrain that is not even, I wonder if there is some LOS bug that is cancelling attacks

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I notice a lot of units have trouble disengaging if even a single member of their squad is fighting. Like to the point I'd rather they ignore all stickiness unless literally snared/rooted/knocked over and eat attacks in the back because I want them to move more than anything else. This also comes up for fliers if 2 members are stuck. I end up selecting the unit and hammering the move order for 10+ seconds straight or giving up.

I wonder what they changed in unit engagement behavior and coding. It would happen in WH2 as well but it was very rare to reach this degree or it was things that made immediate intuitive sense, like "my foot lord is surrounded" and "if I have a squad run in and he paths through them he'll be fine and mobile again."

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
don't worry everyone, by the time we're done with Elden Ring the game will be in a good place

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

AnEdgelord posted:

don't worry everyone, by the time we're done with Elden Ring the game will be in a good place

I doubt they'll get a fix done over the weekend

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Did something screwy happen to my Khorne blood host army, or is this how it’s supposed to work?

The leader seems to be a unit of Exalted Bloodletters with a Herald’s portrait. I fought a big defensive battle with my blood host army as the main one and Skarbrand backing it up. All my units are close to full health. A while in, I get a message saying my commander is dead. However the unit is still there. I win without suffering a lot of casualties. When I come back, the entire blood host army is gone!

Was everything really riding on one model of a squad? Do blood hosts disappear immediately instead of suffer attrition when they don’t fight? It had technically been involved in a recent few battles, but mostly as reinforcements who didn’t do anything.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Did I miss Nurgle chat?

No Slaanesh growth boons required. All plague powered.

e: for a how to: fight your battles and run down the casualties. the dwarfs have a hard on for you because the game is supplying you with infections

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

A Perfect Twist posted:

Doomykins posted:

I notice a lot of units have trouble disengaging if even a single member of their squad is fighting. Like to the point I'd rather they ignore all stickiness unless literally snared/rooted/knocked over and eat attacks in the back because I want them to move more than anything else. This also comes up for fliers if 2 members are stuck. I end up selecting the unit and hammering the move order for 10+ seconds straight or giving up.

I wonder what they changed in unit engagement behavior and coding. It would happen in WH2 as well but it was very rare to reach this degree or it was things that made immediate intuitive sense, like "my foot lord is surrounded" and "if I have a squad run in and he paths through them he'll be fine and mobile again."

Yeah I loaded up a vs. AI game to check it out and see what's going on and it seems to be a combination of 1-2 units getting stuck in enemy armies and the rest staying put as well as the game dropping your movement orders randomly. You can sometimes trigger it even with no enemies by holding shift and having your army move in a zipzag/snake move and sometimes they will just stop midway.

I honestly think it's way more damaging to the game but hard to notice so people don't realize it. It can be very very difficult to even realize something is off unless the unit is relatively isolated or you try to have them disengage like above. You can give attack/movement orders to a unit and pan away and not even notice anything is bugged out. Heck, sometimes I've even noticed armies not even attacking when engaged with enemies and they have the "zzz" in their portraits and I've left them there for a long time. Armies like Khornes aren't going to notice it as much but slaanesh will really suffer for it. Will be interesting once fixed just to see how big an effect it had.

Also guard seemed to have no effect. The bug happened regardless.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Red Mundus posted:

Yeah I loaded up a vs. AI game to check it out and see what's going on and it seems to be a combination of 1-2 units getting stuck in enemy armies and the rest staying put as well as the game dropping your movement orders randomly. You can sometimes trigger it even with no enemies by holding shift and having your army move in a zipzag/snake move and sometimes they will just stop midway.

I honestly think it's way more damaging to the game but hard to notice so people don't realize it. It can be very very difficult to even realize something is off unless the unit is relatively isolated or you try to have them disengage like above. You can give attack/movement orders to a unit and pan away and not even notice anything is bugged out. Heck, sometimes I've even noticed armies not even attacking when engaged with enemies and they have the "zzz" in their portraits and I've left them there for a long time. Armies like Khornes aren't going to notice it as much but slaanesh will really suffer for it. Will be interesting once fixed just to see how big an effect it had.

Also guard seemed to have no effect. The bug happened regardless.

I was just noticing this in some sieges as Khorne. I've got a goonsquad of 4 Furies to swat towers and rear-charge, so lots of movement commands all over the map. I was commanding them all at once in a control group, but I kept having one unit or another staying behind. I feel like it's most apparent in sieges because pathing is so important.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Alright Kislev players, what's your take on the Ice/Tempest schools? Might be restarting soon with Boris instead of Katarina and wanted to know the best path forward.

Ice:

Ice Maiden's Kiss seems set up for spamming, as it does not seem like it does a lot of damage per cast but is pretty cheap and has a decently-quick cooldown. Ice Sheet is top-tier for Kislev as slowing a massive area for only 4 winds is ludicrous and synergizes perfectly with all your shooting. I have not used the rest of the spells at all since I've generally reserved Ice for my Ice Witch Lords with Frost Maidens using Tempest.

Tempest:

Hailstorm is also very spammy but doesn't feel like it does that well; basically it's the bombardment version of Ice Maiden's Kiss. Gust of True Flight is extremely good due to all your ranged shooters, particularly as Kossars actually have a smidgen less range than counterparts. I've not had a chance to use Swiftwing since I could not afford the slot for recruiting Kislev cavalry. Biting Wind did not feel like a good use of winds. Hawks of Miska felt very strong when I used it, on top of not affecting your own troops which is a wonderful bonus. I haven't tried Blizzard yet since on paper it looks inferior to Hawks of Miska.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Hailstorm (and any bombardment spell really) is very strong when a ton of enemies are bunched up. Don't use it unless they are engaged because the AI will scatter the units to avoid it every time.

Ice sheet is by far the best overall spell in terms of army synergy. Don't forget you can also use it on units about to flee to make it easier to chase them down, or target siege towers as it'll slow them too.

Vortex spells like blizzard could be poggers in sieges as they'll bounce off walls so you can fire it in cramped places to get it to pinball around. Wind spells also reflect off walls too.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

toasterwarrior posted:

Alright Kislev players, what's your take on the Ice/Tempest schools?

Pretty much the same conclusions as you. In my late game Kislev playthrough, I have the Ursun invocation up constantly, which grants the army AE slow debuff. Hitting a clump of enemies with that, ice sheet, then a blizzard is basically the end of that cluster of enemies.

Biting wind seems like it would be great if Kislev used melee lines instead of just being a mass of hybrid ranged, but you don't get the neat battle lines necessary for a long-windup, long-stretch line spell like that.

Hailstorm is interesting as an area denial. There's a delay between setting it and it striking, and the AI will retreat strongly away from where you set it. If some powerful, slow melee unit is closing on your ranged line, you can buy a surprisingly large amount of time by doing this.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

toasterwarrior posted:

Alright Kislev players, what's your take on the Ice/Tempest schools? Might be restarting soon with Boris instead of Katarina and wanted to know the best path forward.

Ice:

Ice Maiden's Kiss seems set up for spamming, as it does not seem like it does a lot of damage per cast but is pretty cheap and has a decently-quick cooldown. Ice Sheet is top-tier for Kislev as slowing a massive area for only 4 winds is ludicrous and synergizes perfectly with all your shooting. I have not used the rest of the spells at all since I've generally reserved Ice for my Ice Witch Lords with Frost Maidens using Tempest.

Tempest:

Hailstorm is also very spammy but doesn't feel like it does that well; basically it's the bombardment version of Ice Maiden's Kiss. Gust of True Flight is extremely good due to all your ranged shooters, particularly as Kossars actually have a smidgen less range than counterparts. I've not had a chance to use Swiftwing since I could not afford the slot for recruiting Kislev cavalry. Biting Wind did not feel like a good use of winds. Hawks of Miska felt very strong when I used it, on top of not affecting your own troops which is a wonderful bonus. I haven't tried Blizzard yet since on paper it looks inferior to Hawks of Miska.

Having extensively used both:

Ice magic mostly sucks rear end. Ice Sheet is great since you can get it down to 1 winds once Katarin is ranked up, the rest of the lore is completely whatever. Death Frost is basically just a super expensive spirit leech, and Heart of Winter does good damage but takes loving FOREVER to do so and isn't really notably more killy than the cheaper and faster Tempest vortexes. I think the optimal Katarin magic build is literally just "get Ice Sheet leveled and hold off on the rest of the magic tree in favor of putting points in other stuff". I wouldn't even bother recruiting an Ice caster lord.

Tempest is the clear winner for the purposes of campaign magic(which always favors either healing or efficient mass kill spells). Hailstorm is pretty okay early but the winds are better spent on other things. Biting Wind is fairly mediocre; the damage is quite low unless you land a perfect ricochet, it's certainly no pendulum or wind of death. The buffs are good, but the real money is in both the vortexes. Blizzard and Hawks both have different use cases. Blizzard has a larger area and moves slower so it will generally kill more targets when you drop it on a big rear end blob. Hawks of Miska is for when you have to do danger close work, i.e. the enemy is all over you and intermixed to some degree, where the lack of friendly fire means you don't have to worry about it shooting off in the wrong direction and wiping a friendly unit by accident.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 24, 2022

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Just had an immensely frustrating moment. I spent about 10 turns mapping out Tzeentch's realm, and finally found the proper path. Then Kairos shows up, and a turn later just teleports in front of me to the next to last teleporter, which was impossible from the island he was on. I'm cool with having to race AIs but at the very minimum they should have to take an actual valid path. Had to break a military alliance and tank my reliability to still have a chance at fighting the Librarian.

On a side note, yall know which TWW3 nations get heroes with +replenishment? I'm getting pretty sick of having to camp slaaneshi armies in town for 3+ turns after a major battle to recover. Thinkin about starting over.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eschatos posted:

Just had an immensely frustrating moment. I spent about 10 turns mapping out Tzeentch's realm, and finally found the proper path. Then Kairos shows up, and a turn later just teleports in front of me to the next to last teleporter, which was impossible from the island he was on. I'm cool with having to race AIs but at the very minimum they should have to take an actual valid path. Had to break a military alliance and tank my reliability to still have a chance at fighting the Librarian.

On a side note, yall know which TWW3 nations get heroes with +replenishment? I'm getting pretty sick of having to camp slaaneshi armies in town for 3+ turns after a major battle to recover. Thinkin about starting over.

Tzeentch and Slaanesh in particular both have pretty much non-existent replenishment and it makes playing them pretty unpleasant, especially since TWW3 cranked recruit slots in provinces way down before techs and higher tier buildings. Nurgle has plagues to cover it(which he needs because casualties are a when, not an if for nurgle), Khorne gets all the replenishment they need from winning fights, Kislev has patriarch spam, and Cathay has replenishment buildings and also is a tank and spank gunline army so they tend to take less casualties in general.

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

Eschatos posted:

Kislev, Cathay, and Ogres all do, the Daemon Prince does not and I don't know about the rest.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Eschatos posted:

ogres get 6% on slaughtermaster lords, 9% from butcher heroes, and another 2-12% from one of the camp buildings

they also seem to have very favorable autocalc so you end up with minimal downtime between the battles that you actually want to fight yourself.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Griz posted:

ogres get 6% on slaughtermaster lords, 9% from butcher heroes, and another 2-12% from one of the camp buildings

they also seem to have very favorable autocalc so you end up with minimal downtime between the battles that you actually want to fight yourself.

They also seem to just have really good base replenishment.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

A Perfect Twist posted:

Again I'm like 90% certain that this is because the units are trying to get into formation before they start moving rather than forming up after they arrived. They clearly tried to rework unit formations because it's actually really important for factions like Cathay, but naturally because its a new system its buggy as hell and makes units super sticky.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Again I'm like 90% certain that this is because the units are trying to get into formation before they start moving rather than forming up after they arrived. They clearly tried to rework unit formations because it's actually really important for factions like Cathay, but naturally because its a new system its buggy as hell and makes units super sticky.

It might be that.

Mandalore blue skied in his video that it feels like animations are missing because maybe the Blood DLC not being out yet but I'm skeptical. The Blood DLC in other titles is a bunch of added after-effects and covered textures rather than animations and the synced animations usually didn't involve anything too objectionable that would need to be hidden in the Blood DLC. They were never like Mortal Kombat fatalities. Even voicing the opinion that cut-content is now DLC is playing into the hands of a lot of really bad people who like to raise a stink online because that is their whole personality. This issue with the ignoring of orders is only a sometimes thing and it might be a little confusion over formation drawing on elevated ground making the system shudder.

Generally the battle maps have been running fine while the campaign map judders with snow particles but I have an older graphics card.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm gonna assume that covid hosed hard with the development of a complicated game that was already going to be buggy.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Eschatos posted:

Someone looked at the scripting used for the chaos realms. For Tzeentch, the AIs actually don't ever 'solve' the puzzle, they just wander through a pre-set route of teleporters until their fifth one which always leads to the end. So they don't interact with the whole gimmick of the realm at all which is hilarious. If you know what turn they entered on, you know exactly when they'll get to the Librarian.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Zore posted:

They also seem to just have really good base replenishment.

Yeah Ogre replenishment is marvelous. 2 turns generally and Im back to full.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Which makes it especially funny if you try to actually apply your brain and use their teleports as a way to map out the area.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

A Perfect Twist posted:

I haven't followed the discussion on this game in a few days but earlier in the thread someone mentioned that Guard Mode is much more strict in this game than in WH2 which was causing this - like the targets move slightly which makes your unit go "oh they moved, I'm in guard mode, end action", so I disabled it and haven't had these issues ever since.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Discovered a fun use for Khorne’s Eternal War manifestation: Since third parties can show up to battles now, you can encircle the city and call the attack on yourself, and the enemy you’re besieging will join. Do it if you want to fight on more even ground and don’t want to wait and let your blood meter drop. If the city you’re besieging belongs to a demon army, what little remains in the city once you turn back to it will be just a few bedraggled mortals.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 24, 2022

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Finally figured out why people think slaanesh has replenishment problems.

They are not orc, beastmen, or norscan players.

This costs 50 control and 100 devotees. Do it.

Bonus

more money

Get this

Later get this

Build 4 of these once you secure your first or second province

Have a wonderful time murdering all the rebels and having massive gains in capturing people to replenish your armies.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dr Christmas posted:

Discovered a fun use for Khorne’s Eternal War manifestation: Since third parties can show up to battles now, you can encircle the city and call the attack on yourself, and the enemy you’re besieging will join. Do it if you want to fight on more even ground and don’t want to wait and let your blood meter drop. Since it’s a demon army, what little remains in the city once you turn back to it will be just a few bedraggled mortals.

"We're saved!" cheers the Kislevite garrison. "Our allies... have... come to... ??? ???"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

Discovered a fun use for Khorne’s Eternal War manifestation: Since third parties can show up to battles now, you can encircle the city and call the attack on yourself, and the enemy you’re besieging will join. Do it if you want to fight on more even ground and don’t want to wait and let your blood meter drop. Since it’s a demon army, what little remains in the city once you turn back to it will be just a few bedraggled mortals.

This is god drat hilarious

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I thought I'd like Khorne the least but he's easily the most fun of the demon lords. All the daemon armies except Tzeentch are basically just full melee armies so in hindsight it makes sense that the best meleer would be the most fun.

I liked Slaneesh too but it feels like the daemonettes, chariots and cavalry underperform in every situation except when they get a perfect flank. In contrast, as Khorne, I can just order my bloodletters or skullcrushers to charge the enemy in any direction and get a good result. Plus, if I feel like it I can actually bombard the enemy from range with my weird demon-bike things. Slaneesh gets no such fun tools.

And while the keepers of secrets are fast which is really cool, bloodthirsters can loving FLY and are pretty fast anyway. It just feels like Khorne outperforms the other demon armies a lot

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I will say that the Slaneesh whip spell is glorious though. It really feels like a huge magical whip slamming into enemy formations because they just go flying all over the place :allears:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

My full ranged army of nurgle was exhauled plague bearers, death heads, and them what with robot walking legs.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

did it work well?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

did it work well?

incredibly

You make a wall of plague bearers, they shoot some times

The death heads snipe anything far away or range

And the robot walking guys you pretend that they are effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

it's also probably 6k upkeep, so at least 2 whole provinces needed to keep that one running..
I like Nurgle soulgrinders, they are amazing at deleting stationary ranged or cavalry, and fast enough to capture a point, while sturdy enough to not fold over when attacked. The cost though..