Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Ive had 7 rockets fired at me once. Can't imagine 30+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Have Some Flowers! posted:

I think we need a better source than 'a friend' to confirm an event that would massively escalate this

I'm not sure that we'll really know what is happening right now until much later, these are primo disinfo hours

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Grouchio posted:

I've been informed by a friend that there have been bombings in Moldova - meaning that NATO involvement is inescapable. Aren't there Russians stationed in Transnistria attacking Ukraine and not Moldova? What's going on there?

Thank your weed dealer for telling us the nukes will be flying soon.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Grouchio posted:

I've been informed by a friend that there have been bombings in Moldova - meaning that NATO involvement is inescapable. Aren't there Russians stationed in Transnistria attacking Ukraine and not Moldova? What's going on there?

Moldova is not a NATO member and went the neutrality route. Which worked out great for them when Russia sponsored "rebels" and eventually regular Russian military in 1994 to carve out the bits with the gigantic Soviet military bases as Transnistria.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Eh, I despise Russia's actions as much as most anyone here but I'm dubious of wide-ranging sanctions... for the first reason, not the second.

Freezing or taking the oligarchs' poo poo and possibly sanctioning the Russian MIC (tougher since they build most of their own Stuff but possible) though? Sure, hit Putin's real constituency in their wallets.

sanctions are ineffective and harmful but i'm really far less concerned with the fate of the average russian civilian right now than i am the fate of the average ukrainian civilian

but professional online takesmiths gotta smith and much like sanctions aren't the best response, neither is performative unity with the working class during the opening stages of an uncalled for war of aggression by a larger nation against a smaller one. luckily the people tweeting #solidarity tonight from comfortable, intact homes can be safely ignored, now and forever

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

First off. Eat poo poo Putin.

Second off, Would anyone be interested in reading a big wall of text if I type it up that is focused on the cyber/critical infrastructure side of this poo poo show? Industrial control system security is my field and it has been fascinating and loving bizarre following some of this stuff, I've already started drafting something for people in my field who are interested in catching up but it's turning into a large chunk of text so I'm trying to just not spam it everywhere if no one gives a poo poo about it. With that being said if anyone has any specific questions I might be able to field them.

Third off, Putin I hope your private security accidentally blows your dick off and you get written into history as the dictator with debatable gender assignment.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Folks, please contact your representatives to demand your governments support the people of Ukraine (both by taking in refugees and by sending necessary supplies to the Ukrainian government), punish the Putin regime (through targeted sanctions), and bulwark NATO's defences against Russian aggression.

Grouchio posted:

Until you get real confirmation, it seems extremely unlikely.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Is there confirmation of what exactly is happening here? Is that MLRS, more than one MLRS, or something else entirely?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Grouchio posted:

Seems like there could be confusion by the sounds of artillery across the border?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cr0y posted:

Second off, Would anyone be interested in reading a big wall of text if I type it up that is focused on the cyber/critical infrastructure side of this poo poo show? Industrial control system security is my field and it has been fascinating and loving bizarre following some of this stuff, I've already started drafting something for people in my field who are interested in catching up but it's turning into a large chunk of text so I'm trying to just not spam it everywhere if no one gives a poo poo about it. With that being said if anyone has any specific questions I might be able to field them.

Third off, Putin I hope your private security accidentally blows your dick off and you get written into history as the dictator with debatable gender assignment.

Please post number two. It might get lost in the deluge of, you know, invasion posts, but I can't really think of where else to post it, so.

javi
Jun 5, 2004

Silly yes ... Idiotic ... yes.!
There's video of tanks coming over the Belarus border. Also looks like it's Belarus and Russia working together.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1496720167723843585

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Inner Light posted:

Is there confirmation of what exactly is happening here? Is that MLRS, more than one MLRS, or something else entirely?

Muliple MLRS from what I gather.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

It's dawn in Ukraine...
https://twitter.com/ElBeardsley/status/1496711721347690497?s=20&t=bVyoYivdOXzRtz5GnYYMwA
https://twitter.com/ElBeardsley/status/1496716136456536068?s=20&t=bVyoYivdOXzRtz5GnYYMwA
https://twitter.com/ElBeardsley/status/1496718061818290183?s=20&t=bVyoYivdOXzRtz5GnYYMwA
Source is the NPR Paris correspondent currently in Ukraine.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Pook Good Mook posted:

All their money is in Swiss banks and NATO can't touch it. Maybe they can seize some yachts docked in France or some townhouses in London.

They can only really affect their ability to create new money by shutting out investment and profitable trade. Not easy to make them less rich.

Lock Russia out of the SWIFT banking systems, wouldn't that isolate any money outside of Russia?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

cr0y posted:

That sounds neat! I would like to know more about cyberwarfare than I learned in 1995 movie Hackers.

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Cugel the Clever posted:

Folks, please contact your representatives to demand your governments support the people of Ukraine (both by taking in refugees and by sending necessary supplies to the Ukrainian government), punish the Putin regime (through targeted sanctions), and bulwark NATO's defences against Russian aggression.

Until you get real confirmation, it seems extremely unlikely.

Is there any evidence that sanctions work? North Korea, Iran, Syria all seem to be surviving.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

cr0y posted:

we can always link cyber/critical infrastructure post in the OP

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

Inner Light posted:

Yes, reportedly GRAD rocket artillery. It seems that Russia's opener was a coordinated barrage of rocket artillery and missile strikes on multiple locations within Ukraine, including the line of contact in the east.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Big K of Justice posted:

Lock Russia out of the SWIFT banking systems, wouldn't that isolate any money outside of Russia?

this would work! Russia would 100% turn its weapons on anyone who tried to do it, though. Which could be a bigger oopsie.

EDIT: oh god I'm posting in D&D, what have I done

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Eh, I despise Russia's actions as much as most anyone here but I'm dubious of wide-ranging sanctions... for the first reason, not the second.

Freezing or taking the oligarchs' poo poo and possibly sanctioning the Russian MIC (tougher since they build most of their own Stuff but possible) though? Sure, hit Putin's real constituency in their wallets.

That is, sadly, also the U.S's real constituency so the chances of that are slim.

e:

HamsterPolice posted:

Is there any evidence that sanctions work? North Korea, Iran, Syria all seem to be surviving.

They survive, but quality of life for everyone but the oppressors takes a huge dip. Cuba managed to maintain some semblance of quality, which is why it's the U.S warmonger golden goose.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 24, 2022

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

cr0y posted:

:justpost:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

You genuinely think that would have improved the situation?

It clearly wouldn't have. It clearly would have been an even bigger mess.

Nobody is asking you to be satisfied, though I'm asking you to recognize the least bad of all the bad options and not bang on war drums because you're upset that Russia has worked its way into a position where it can do whatever the gently caress it wants with Ukraine. If we go back to 2014 and start over from there, then maybe there's a diplomatic solution.

I'm saying not everything HAS a diplomatic solution but we can't just let our allies burn to the ground because it's inconvenient to help. That's not banging the war drums, it's being willing to risk your own self to help your allies.

cr0y posted:

Yes but mostly because I spent a ton of time in the physical security world so integrating with a bunch of serial bullshit to make cameras turn on when the fire alarm goes off is totally my nerd jam.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 24, 2022

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
You'd think goons in this thread would know better than to post random rear end Twitter "reports" from dubious rear end sources

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yinlock posted:

That is, sadly, also the U.S's real constituency so the chances of that are slim.

Russian arms companies are not the U.S.'s real constituency.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

HamsterPolice posted:

Russian oligarchs live lives of luxury in the west. Hitting the oligarchs would cause Putin's support to erode. Unfortunately the EU is too weak to put sanctions on them like that.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I have a relative who was so convinced nothing was going to happen that he figured it was safe to visit and flew to Kyiv last week. Utter dipshit. I hope he's alright.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Imagine it's 7:30AM, when you would be usually on your way to work. And instead, you are stuck in a standstill of traffic trying to leave your house and leave everything behind to get somewhere, anywhere, while air raid sirens blare and hoping that the bombs don't start falling on the highway. The terror must be unreal.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what

HamsterPolice posted:

It does. For example, sanctions against Russia really hurt their efforts to modernize their huge tank fleet since they were unable to import necessary high tech parts for new generation optical devices.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

KillHour posted:

I'm saying not everything HAS a diplomatic solution but we can't just let our allies burn to the ground because it's inconvenient to help. That's not banging the war drums, it's being willing to risk your own self to help your allies.

The NATO would have had to move in BEFORE the Russian staffing started, since the Russians had the plans ready since the beginning. Which is politically impossible.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

sticksy posted:

Seems like there could be confusion by the sounds of artillery across the border?
I did hear of bombings of Odessa before this, which would check out as russians are stationed in Transnistria. Except the Ukrainians are saying even that's false.
We did not hear any telegraphed plans on Moldova as we had with Ukraine from Russian brass over the last few months.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Nameless Pete posted:

I have a relative who was so convinced nothing was going to happen that he figured it was safe to visit and flew to Kyiv last week. Utter dipshit. I hope he's alright.

This is really stupid, wow

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I see visual evidence of MLRS exploded (unexploded?) ordnance on what appears to be a public street:

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1496717580245127168

And what appears to be a cruise missile in flight to a target

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1496708579952369665

Dunno if reposts.

Would be surprised if no civilian casualties as a result of strikes that look very close to the public, dunno if this is an obvious statement but I guess I felt the need to say it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife also wanted to go to Kiev this month and her family almost guilted her into it.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Big K of Justice posted:

One of the fears is that they're already trying to get away from this (China recently instituted their own version) and would only make sanctions or quasi diplomatic efforts other points of leverage weaker.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 24, 2022

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

HamsterPolice posted:

If I remember correctly, sanctions against Iran made it very difficult to procure centrifuges for their uranium enrichment program. I think that and stuxnet seriously set them back and helped bring them to the table which led to the Iranian Nuclear Deal. I'm iffy on the details, so if anyone else has anything to add please do because I could be wrong.

I don't know what those three countries would look like had there been no sanctions, so for all we know they could be serving their intended purposes. I imagine that in order to know how well they work, we'd need many more details about the economies of those countries.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Anyone seen anything else about the Belorussians getting involved? https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1496717859107618820

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Russian arms companies are not the U.S.'s real constituency.

I was more referring to the oligarch part. There's generally no big pie that oligarchs the world over don't have their fat fingers in. :capitalism:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

You genuinely think that would have improved the situation?

It clearly wouldn't have. It clearly would have been an even bigger mess.

Nobody is asking you to be satisfied, though I'm asking you to recognize the least bad of all the bad options and not bang on war drums because you're upset that Russia has worked its way into a position where it can do whatever the gently caress it wants with Ukraine. If we go back to 2014 and start over from there, then maybe there's a diplomatic solution.

there's been an awful lot of mischaracterization of posts in this thread as 'banging on war drums' and the like and I'd really rather there were less of that

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Russian security council looking disturbed and terrified in that bizarre czar audience meeting makes so much sense now. Putin just had recorded videos recognizing Donbas, his meltdown and openly declaring war on Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Anyone seen anything else about the Belorussians getting involved? https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1496717859107618820

I tried taking a screenshot but drm, cnn had a livestream of bielarussian tanks rolling into ukraine

also:

quote:

The President of Belarus gave orders to his army to integrate and cooperate with the Russian army in the invasion of Ukraine
https://twitter.com/AlArabiya_Brk/status/1496721169193791488