Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Well, maybe it's time the other shoe drops on NFts, hopefully. https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...-monopoly.shtml

tldr: computer made images no copyright.

monkeys cant copyright their selfie, computers cant copyright their stuff, this is just going to make the future war a robotmonkeys & monkeyrobots VS humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Durzel posted:

Even if we were to accept the basic premise that the blockchain/NFTs adds something to this interaction, it falls down immediately when you consider the blockchain can’t be both immutable and something you can dispute.

If someone steals the deeds to your house through a basic phishing scam or smart contract flaw, or whatever, even months or years after the transaction has concluded, then the same logic that holds that the blockchain is the “source of truth” necessarily holds that the person who stole the deeds now owns your house. The consensus is that this new owner is the legitimate owner. The blockchain doesn’t disambiguate between rightful and wrongful owners.

Just like when people cry foul when their apes get stolen, or try to take OpenSea to regular old real life court, they’re essentially trying to argue that the blockchain can sometimes be wrong, which is the core principal they lived and died by up until the point their digital property was stolen*. They can’t have it both ways, but seem to think they can.

* “Stolen” seems like the wrong word, since the blockchain = truth, “transferred” seems more appropriate.

The people arguing for blockchain know nothing about it. Next question.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Remember Hitpiece, the NFT site that was ripping music from Spotify and got dogpiled by the entire music industry?

Apparently crypto folks don't learn from others' mistakes, because a site called NFT Music Stream did the exact same thing

https://twitter.com/TabulaRasaRcrds/status/1490815040693288963
https://twitter.com/shyphomusic/status/1491078192085729281

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
What cracks me up is that these crypto bros have a completely inside out notion of what liability is.

They think that if nobody's in charge then nobody is accountable. Other way around stupid, you are ALL liable by handling that toxic waste. Conspiracy to commit fraud (or copyright infringement, whatever) seems like it could cast a very, very wide net if it wants to.

IANAL, so I'm kind of just guessing at what might actually be a thing, but I'd sure as hell err on the side of caution if it was my rear end on the line.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
it's amazing that we've accelerated heat death on earth in order to generate grift bucks for basement losers to get stolen along with their lovely monkeys.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's amazing that we've accelerated heat death on earth in order to generate grift bucks for basement losers to get stolen along with their lovely monkeys.

Probably was always going to go this way. No way we go out with something noble like an asteroid strike or MAD nuclear Armageddon

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Can't remember if it was a post here or something on Twitter, but have been thinking a lot about someone saying that bitcoin and blockchain tech is hard coded to equate access with permission and possession with ownership. And since we need as a society to have distinctions between those concepts it will never be able to disrupt, like, anything! :350:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Somfin posted:

Actually I've been thinking about it and this example- rent agreements on the chain- is a perfect explanation for how this crypto poo poo actually works. It wouldn't even need to be a rent paid in crypto, is the key thing- the rent could still be with regular dollars- but the scam is telling the landlords that we're gonna put those agreements on the chain.

Okay, so, first, you come up with some idea that can include the blockchain in any way. NFTs, rent agreements on the chain, video game items on the chain, whatever. As long as it involves data, computer touchers will have to think for a moment before they say "hang on" and that's all the delay you need. This is the justification. It doesn't really need to make sense when you pick through it, because you're not selling it to people who are gonna pick through it; you're selling it to the mark. The mark doesn't understand this poo poo but they do know that a lot of people have gotten super rich off crypto, and they want in.

In order to make the justification work, you need to create two parts- the actual thing that is being used for the justification (can just be a prototype or even just the idea of it, if the idea will convince the mark), and, far more importantly, the cryptocurrency that powers it, which we'll call $RENT. Everything that goes on the chain needs a cryptocurrency to power it, because someone needs to pay the validators to accept changes to the chain, and the only payment that can come through a decentralised system is some generated-as-needed cryptocurrency bullshit. The only way that cryptocurrency can be converted into actual money is if it has some speculative future value- and that's the job of the justification.

The way that you turn this hypothetical idea into money in your pocket is to convince the mark that this justification is actually the future of whatever it is. All rent agreements will be signed on the chain! All video game items will be stored on the chain! All art purchases will be done through the chain! And since that's the future, if you buy in now, you'll be just like the folks who bought BTC at ten cents- pretty soon anyone who wants to draw up a rent agreement will need to come to someone who has $RENT in order to do it, and then you'll be king poo poo of gently caress you mountain on a giant pile of exactly what they need, able to command your own price. All the mark has to do is buy in right now while it's still cheap- and yes, you happen to have a giant store of that currency to sell at a discount rate to discerning buyers.

Now at this point the mark has bought in, they've sunk a giant pile of cash into $RENT, and at this point you face a dilemma: You can get high on your own supply and try to actually make the justification happen, or you can take that money and disappear.

Spot on. A professional grifter might call your 'justification' the 'tale', as in 'telling the tale'. The cryptocurrency market is a 'big store', a type of 'convincer' that uses 'inside men', 'cutouts', and other marks, to make a completely fake operation look big, valuable and legitimate, leading up to 'the sting', when they buy from the big store, and vanishing is called 'the blow off', often accompanied by a 'freeze out' to cool them out and prevent them from taking action. It's all very obvious and archetypal, middle-of-the-road con games not executed very well, but also seemingly with almost no repercussions.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Mad Dragon posted:

Tweet's dead. :rip:

https://www.engadget.com/open-sea-facing-1-million-lawsuit-over-stolen-bored-app-nft-133044623.html

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tirade posted:

Can't remember if it was a post here or something on Twitter, but have been thinking a lot about someone saying that bitcoin and blockchain tech is hard coded to equate access with permission and possession with ownership. And since we need as a society to have distinctions between those concepts it will never be able to disrupt, like, anything! :350:

I mentioned it here but I stole it from Dan Olson's Line Goes Up, which, if you haven't watched it, is the best video on the topic bar none

chaosbreather posted:

Spot on. A professional grifter might call your 'justification' the 'tale', as in 'telling the tale'. The cryptocurrency market is a 'big store', a type of 'convincer' that uses 'inside men', 'cutouts', and other marks, to make a completely fake operation look big, valuable and legitimate, leading up to 'the sting', when they buy from the big store, and vanishing is called 'the blow off', often accompanied by a 'freeze out' to cool them out and prevent them from taking action. It's all very obvious and archetypal, middle-of-the-road con games not executed very well, but also seemingly with almost no repercussions.

Gonna note down this terminology for future use

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

why do you think Putin wants to invade Ukraine? Obviously to make more space for Bitcoin miners.

Bad with military: invading countries for Bitcoin.

/s in case it's missed

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Crypto people are fascinating. They found a way to make me root for the RIAA.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/coffeebreak_YT/status/1495884586563379208?s=20&t=K5s59E41CjAKhPxsbEPynQ

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Elliott Kalan

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Just saw that. That BMW slamming into him is some creative defusion tactic.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LifeSunDeath posted:

There's a theory that the development of life is energetically favorable because it increases entropy faster than non-living processes otherwise would.

In the same vein, maybe life exists to ultimately give rise to bitcoin.

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak
You can buy NFT via vending machine:
https://www.atmmarketplace.com/news/non-fungible-token-vending-machine-debuts-in-nyc/

"Buy Pigeons"

ATM Marketplace used to be a fairly informative industry site, but an editor there, Bradley Cooper, is pushing bitcoin pretty hard. Most of his articles are about Bitcoin ATMs.

When Scoop isn't writing about bitcoin ATMs, he pens hard-hitting articles such as the times he gets mad when the deposit feature isn't working at an ATM.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

cool now i can buy an ape and not only does the machine eat my money but it fails to dispence my ape, cutting out the middleman hacker!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

LOL!!!

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

wankel13b posted:

https://www.atmmarketplace.com/news/non-fungible-token-vending-machine-debuts-in-nyc/

"Buy Pigeons"

ATM Marketplace used to be a fairly informative industry site, but an editor there, Bradley Cooper, is pushing bitcoin pretty hard. Most of his articles are about Bitcoin ATMs.

When Scoop isn't writing about bitcoin ATMs, he pens hard-hitting articles such as the times he gets mad when the deposit feature isn't working at an ATM.

This will 100% only be used by victims of scammers as a means of payment. Guaran-loving-teed.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

why do you think Putin wants to invade Ukraine? Obviously to make more space for Bitcoin miners.

Bad with military: invading countries for Bitcoin.

/s in case it's missed

/shitpost in case it's missed

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Sashimi posted:

:10bux: says with a Twitter handle like that, he's recorded some really awful hiphop.

that's Bryan, host of comedy/lefty podcast Street Fight

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

ugggn is bitcoin really still a thing why isn't this over yet?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Hellblazer187 posted:

Ask the question: why aren't pyramid schemes gone yet?

And I will answer: there really is a sucker born every minute.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

Ask the question: why aren't pyramid schemes gone yet?

And I will answer: there really is a sucker born every minute.

Everyone hates being at the bottom, but they want to be at the top.

People sign up for pyramid schemes or mlm or crypto because they're "getting in on the ground floor"

Without realizing that the ground floor is the bottom of the pyramid.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hellblazer187 posted:

Because you touch yourself at night.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The crypto markets do not like what is going on in Ukraine. butts are down 7%

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

e, wrong thread oops. gently caress crypto

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Zil posted:

Regular markets won't like it either when they open tomorrow morning I'd wager

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Crypto is down 7% but oil is up 3%. I guess the plan to extract the energy stored in bitcoins hit a bit of a snag.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

wankel13b posted:

"Buy Pigeons"

Remember when they opened Bitcoin ATMs, there would be the 'grand opening' with 10-20 other butthandlers posing in pics showing THE FUTURE that would be shown all around the other buttfondler websites.
And then no one used them, a month or two after most just were removed as the restaurant, coffee joint, or bar could get more money if they put in a Knight Rider pinball table instead.
When it didn't work for the actual loving currency, how do you think its going to fare with pics of pigeons that are tens of thousands of dollars?

Oh wait, this is NFT. Its just a credit card skimming machine. My bad.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

NFT bullets

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Zil posted:

but this is a great test for Bitcoin to prove its a currency and its value right? A place where people won't have access to * spit * fiat currency. Now Bitcoin can shine and prove its universality.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

https://bitcoinist.com/bitcoin-fomo-no-more-volume-drops-lowest-14-months/

quote:

Bitcoin FOMO No More? Volume Drops To Lowest In 14 Months

Data shows the Bitcoin trading volume has dropped to its lowest level in 14 months, signaling that FOMO around the crypto may be no more

this is good for bitcoin...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-lhr-unlocker-malware

this is extremely good for bitcoin

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

That just means we need to trade amongst ourselves at higher price points.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

GhoooostTitty…. Come out to plaaaaaaaaay.

Where’s your loving stupid graph for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Not a problem, print a few billion Tethers and wash trade them around for a while -> volume number go up. It's entirely believable that in the middle of a bear market and a slump in crypto interest someone suddenly buys in with billions of actual dollars.