Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Game unlocks in less than an hour and I still haven't decided on a playstyle. :(

imo a new souls game is always more fun with a lovely hybrid build so you can mess with all the new stuff then make spergy SL99 all str builds on other runs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

this thread has been a wild ride in the last 24 hours

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

afroserty posted:

Amazing. Can you put a big Dark Souls into a gaping Elden Ring?

Demon Souls Penetrator vs Elden Ring.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Game unlocks in less than an hour and I still haven't decided on a playstyle. :(

This is hosed up

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I'll be playing with great vim personally!

Clown Depot
Feb 24, 2022

I think that's okay! Going into FromSoft games with no clear goal is part of the fun in my opinion. Wandering around bewildered and unaware is great. If I wanted to treat a game like an equation or a checklist I'd play something by Ubisoft, ya know?

Let yourself wander in and find out what feels right through experiencing it first hand!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I keep hearing about this game called Elden Ring. What's it about and why are ppl losing their minds over it?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah the appearance changer is a place you can just go any time you want so I'm hoping the respec mechanic works the same way, so you don't even have to worry about what kind of run you want to invest your time in.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

I keep hearing about this game called Elden Ring. What's it about and why are ppl losing their minds over it?

its a game about being a greasy little goblin boy who eats dung

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
It’s a new game with new mechanics and abilities. Why on earth would you try to pre plan your play style?

Related: All the helpful advice about Soulslikes above may or may apply to Elden Ring. Blocking, dodging, and parrying rules of thumb are different for the different games.

Go into the game planning to learn. Figuring out what the game is trying to teach you is half the fun.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Flytrap posted:

Also just learn to accept that death can be really funny. You're gonna die to stupid poo poo and gravity just as often if not more-so than enemy attacks, or by enemy attacks knocking you off of ledges. You will not find a single Souls fan who hasn't stopped paying attention just long enough to walk their own dumb rear end off a ledge at least once per playthrough. And I don't mean once per first time through the game I mean you'll be 200 hours and 15 NG+ cycles in and you'll still do it.

Walking off of a ledge and just freezing in disbelief as you take a minute to process how dumb you are is a huge part of the souls experience. There's a hole in Demon's Souls I still fall down in Latria even after 8 playthroughs.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
The die-corpserun-die again cycle, at least in Ds1 has weird thematic resonance with the metaplot of a god desperately trying to keep the world from falling apart. Don't be Gwyn, be zen as poo poo when you lose all your souls/currency, it stings but you'll beat a boss later and get a heap back, enjoy the process of starting over, don't let it scare you. The game's are pretty well balanced around losing this kind of progress thankfully, so there's probably no real ceiling to the amount of soul you could lose without gimping yourself.

Also! Along similar lines Fromsoft Souls games are at times dumb dumb slapstick comedies with you as the unfortunate victim. The in game trolling again might sting but later you'll get to laugh with someone about a skeleton hiding around a corner kicking you off a cliff into a gorge. And even later maybe you'll see someone get to this part on a playthrough and rub your hands with glee.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
WHY CANT I PRE-LOAD ELDEN RING THERES NO OPTION HELP

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Oh it just popped up

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

fridge corn posted:

it's like a character action game but with RPG elements to make it more casual and accessible, and the new one also takes elements from ubisoft open world games and people seem to love those :D

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's like a character action game but with RPG elements to make it more casual and accessible, and the new one also takes elements from ubisoft open world games and people seem to love those :D

It's basically Assassin's Creed: Westeros.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Spoilers but I can confirm Patches is in this game

https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1496794321672196096?t=aNPUu8PURnDXdY2Vlf4Ecw&s=19

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Steam keeps switching between 24th and 25th for me. Officially it drops at 9am JST tomorrow but I am being a deviant wretch and hoping for some reason it drops tonight

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

"I'm sorry for opening your game up to hacks. Here have a rollback on me"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Two hours :catstare:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I have never played a souls-like before but this game is getting insane reviews. Should I give this game a try?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The weirdest thing I discovered this year was jesus gently caress don't compare anything to asscreed. Apparently all aspects of that series have been stricken from the book of life and you should reference other games (that all copied the same mechanics from asscreed) instead.

Shoehead posted:

Spoilers but I can confirm Patches is in this game

"Balance changes"

The fun police are now out in force before the game is even released.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

jimmydalad posted:

I have never played a souls-like before but this game is getting insane reviews. Should I give this game a try?

Why not try it. I think everyone should see if they like souls and this one is new. Seems like a no brainer.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

jimmydalad posted:

Go for it, it should be a great time. The freedom to wander around and find stuff will make the difficulty curve smoother than previous games (especially Bloodborne or Dark III).

https://twitter.com/Peeverson/status/1496696277920276485?s=20&t=joARoi8ZJ69zCILGhkHIVw

(This is a reasonably well-known Souls streamer)

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
can't wait to be the most hosed up and nastiest little man in all the lands between tomorrow

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
I can't believe this game is good. I was totally convinced it was either never going out or they were gonna screw it up somehow. Instead, it looks like more Souls with cool discovery and hard bosses, my favorite parts of the game
~wow~

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I was confident it was going to be good, what worried me was that they wouldn't be able to fix online in time which it looks like they did

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

from moment one i never had a single doubt. miyazaki my daddy

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Ok, I've decided to take the plunge and try out this new game. Hopefully, I'll like it. Watching streams of previous souls games didn't really appeal to me but maybe the gameplay experience is different.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Looks like the streamer embargo is up. Head to twitch and spoil yourselves, if that's your thing. You nasty little freaks.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I've spoiled my underwear already, thank you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

from moment one i never had a single doubt. miyazaki my daddy

Same this was always going to be great. Can't fathom the naysayers.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

45 reviews, still at 97

insane

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I don't knock watching other peoples' gameplay footage because without that I would have been stuck after 1-1 in demon's souls because I was trying to play the game like character action games where everything cancels into everything else, but the personal feeling of investment and accomplishment witnessing your skills improve is what makes the game fun to play, and once you do it becomes more fun to watch because you either get to experience that vicariously again through another new player or get to see how an experienced player tackles the same encounters in an entirely different way than what you did.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I will punch.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
God bless the people of Nee Zealand and god bless Microsoft’s lenient region switching rules.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Looks like the streamer embargo is up. Head to twitch and spoil yourselves, if that's your thing. You nasty little freaks.

WILD. FREAKS. RUN THROUGH TWITCH DEEPS.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

jimmydalad posted:

no.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

tote up a bags posted:

Steam keeps switching between 24th and 25th for me. Officially it drops at 9am JST tomorrow but I am being a deviant wretch and hoping for some reason it drops tonight

Mine is locked on 24, which is odd considering the 24th ends in 2 and a half hours.

But yeah officially unlocks tomorrow morning for me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
https://youtu.be/wVEI4a7FTGo
This is a cool video so far