Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

avoraciopoctules posted:

I hear that Hero's Hour will be doing a Steam release soon.

https://thingonitsown.itch.io/heros-hour
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1656780/Heros_Hour/

As for the exploration aspects, I believe they tried implementing portals and seafaring elements in 1.1 to spice things up a bit. Some of the special sites you can find do pretty interesting stuff... including one that lets you force a battle between faction heroes, which could be a pretty interesting way to shake up a tedious endgame. And it looks like they added underground layers in 1.8 as well.

Ahh, and I found the really interesting sounding special sites entry too, it was 1.5/1.6.

Visiting the Dark Carnival allows you to fight a non-lethal battle against clowns. Entering costs 1000 gold. Winning earns you 2 artifacts.
Visiting the Tower of Mages allows your hero to exchange part of their army for boosts to their spellcasting abilities
Visiting the Forlorn Cloister allows your hero to give up their life and become an undead hero
Visiting the Volcanic Cult allows your hero to transform part of their army into demons
Visiting the Cloud Palace allows your hero to wish either for war or for peace. War brings all enemy heroes to the Cloud Temple. Peace sends them all back home to their towns.

How does the real-time combat work in Hero's Hour? I always get nervous when I see that because I expect either a frantic click fest or an overly long sequence which may as well be an FMV. Having auto-calc battles being an option is sometimes ok, but normally you get punished for doing that. I love the obvious queues they took from the Heroes of Might and Magic series though.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

How does the real-time combat work in Hero's Hour? I always get nervous when I see that because I expect either a frantic click fest or an overly long sequence which may as well be an FMV. Having auto-calc battles being an option is sometimes ok, but normally you get punished for doing that. I love the obvious queues they took from the Heroes of Might and Magic series though.

You position your blob of units and they fight it out with the opposing army. You can give movement order to try to disengage or flank somewhat, but space for maneuvering and kiting is limited. You can also cast spells. The main dislike I have for the system is that the number of units on the field is very limited.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm watching the developer stream it right now. I like that it pauses when you cast spells, though combat still looks a bit frantic.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

avoraciopoctules posted:

I hear that Hero's Hour will be doing a Steam release soon.

https://thingonitsown.itch.io/heros-hour
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1656780/Heros_Hour/

As for the exploration aspects, I believe they tried implementing portals and seafaring elements in 1.1 to spice things up a bit. Some of the special sites you can find do pretty interesting stuff... including one that lets you force a battle between faction heroes, which could be a pretty interesting way to shake up a tedious endgame. And it looks like they added underground layers in 1.8 as well.

Ahh, and I found the really interesting sounding special sites entry too, it was 1.5/1.6.

Visiting the Dark Carnival allows you to fight a non-lethal battle against clowns. Entering costs 1000 gold. Winning earns you 2 artifacts.
Visiting the Tower of Mages allows your hero to exchange part of their army for boosts to their spellcasting abilities
Visiting the Forlorn Cloister allows your hero to give up their life and become an undead hero
Visiting the Volcanic Cult allows your hero to transform part of their army into demons
Visiting the Cloud Palace allows your hero to wish either for war or for peace. War brings all enemy heroes to the Cloud Temple. Peace sends them all back home to their towns.

Is this a game based around Insane Clown Posse lore?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

chaosapiant posted:

Is this a game based around Insane Clown Posse lore?

It's a HoMM clone that has some clown units in as a joke.

e: I wrote some thoughts on it over in the strategy thread (where, I think, it properly belongs, because it's really not a 4X), back in September. It's had a few patches since then, but I haven't been keeping track of what's changed- most of the factions seem to have more unit options, at least, and I assume there's been a bunch of balancing/QoL work done.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 3, 2022

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

the art and game concept and game inspiration all really appealed to me but I bounced off it pretty hard :(

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Let’s talk soundtracks. Especially space games, what kinds of custom sound tracks do y’all like to use? Right now I’ve got a custom mix of instrumental Samael, Lorn, and the MechWarrior 2 Soundtrack.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Danaru posted:

Also did anyone magically make Space Empires V work normally on windows 10, even with all the sure type stuff disabled it still hits 10FPS on the ship builder :negative:

running it in a window instead of fullscreen should get you enough FPS that the ship builder is tolerable. at least, it did for me. none of the other suggested fixes did anything

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Distant Worlds questions:

If I have a fleet admiral who has more negative modifiers than positive, is there any reason to keep him assigned to a fleet? Aside from his stats, is there any positive to outweigh his negative?

I switched from Republic to Monarchy to get the lower ship maintenance and also to keep my current leader in power. He has a ton of positive attributes. That said, did I make the right move? Will dude remain in power as a Monarch and will future Monarch’s be of his lineage? Or will it just be another rando once enough years have passed?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Demiurge4 posted:

Space 4x games should take a long look at Victoria 3 and consider whether or not removing individual units (fleets) from the game and using a front system isn't the way forward. The idea of abstracting the war machine to doctrines, generals/admirals and just a reflection of your industrial base, manpower and technology is very attractive to me.

I have high hopes for Vicky 3 for this reason and I hope the risk they're taking on this innovation pays off.

I never really got into it, but doesn't Stellar Monarch do this?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Darkrenown posted:

I never really got into it, but doesn't Stellar Monarch do this?

Was about to say that; I always assumed someone at pdox had it on their radar to some degree. I still think it would be a great fit for Stellaris.

The holy grail IMO is for a game to replicate the narrative beats of an extended story. If anyone remembers Centurion:Defender of Rome, that did it really well. You never had that mainstay of 4x games that is chasing around endless whackamole armies, you had memorable campaigns against highly distinct enemies and the narrative was much stronger for it.

Not at all replayable but great.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I feel like at that point youre playing GSG and not a 4x

Shadow Empire is my personal favorite mix of empire/unit management. The councils do stuff but you manage them and your officers and still have a lot of direct control tho you do have to manage your units

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
SE4's ship designer was good because it gave you the freedom to design your entire empire's logistics & fleet combat doctrines rather than just ships.

Ofcourse, this was also a game that modeled logistics in the first place, with ships needing supplies to remain operational.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

victrix posted:

the art and game concept and game inspiration all really appealed to me but I bounced off it pretty hard :(

let’s be honest: we all just want FFH back

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Honestly, I like the goofier aspects of 4X games even if it isn't great world-building. Just give me the space lizards, the space cats and the space birds and have them all hate each other. It's a shame that none of the Master of Orion games got very far in giving them personalities, other than the space lizards being right bastards who have to be killed on sight, but either way, you know where you are with space lizards and space cats.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

chaosapiant posted:

Let’s talk soundtracks. Especially space games, what kinds of custom sound tracks do y’all like to use? Right now I’ve got a custom mix of instrumental Samael, Lorn, and the MechWarrior 2 Soundtrack.

Ascendancy's soundtrack from 1995 is my favourite, even if it is in a low bit and sample rate.

I can't believe that the company that made that game still exists and they've only released two games. What the gently caress have they been doing this entire time?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Rappaport posted:

Honestly, I like the goofier aspects of 4X games even if it isn't great world-building. Just give me the space lizards, the space cats and the space birds and have them all hate each other. It's a shame that none of the Master of Orion games got very far in giving them personalities, other than the space lizards being right bastards who have to be killed on sight, but either way, you know where you are with space lizards and space cats.

I found the SotS races to be quite flavourful and distinct, which was definitely helped by them each having unique FTL methods.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pharnakes posted:

I found the SotS races to be quite flavourful and distinct, which was definitely helped by them each having unique FTL methods.

The unique (exclusive) FTL methods annoyed me since there were some that were absolutely better then others, and making them exclusive is really artificial. Why can't I be human's with star gates? Starting out exclusive in the early game makes a lot of sense, but by mid-game after all the civs have met each other, trading/stealing FTL methods should absolutely start being a thing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I mean that was balanced around the species themes as well. The hivers have the best FTL in that it’s instant and completely safe to use, but their ships are slow and tanky with low manoeuvrability and they’re locked out of the best long range weapons in the tech tree. Plus their gate fleets can be intercepted and this is where the liir shine because their ships have the best speed and agility in the game in deep space.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The unique (exclusive) FTL methods annoyed me since there were some that were absolutely better then others, and making them exclusive is really artificial. Why can't I be human's with star gates? Starting out exclusive in the early game makes a lot of sense, but by mid-game after all the civs have met each other, trading/stealing FTL methods should absolutely start being a thing.

The FTL methods are unique because they're a fundamental part of the races' characters as well.

The Hivers are extremely slow but steadfast and then compensate by utterly swarming an enemy planet as soon as they plant a gate (like a bug infestation in your house).

The humans are aggressive risk takers and they zoom through gates that might drive them into deathtraps from which they can't retreat.

The Zuul devour planets and literally stab through the integrity of space. They live to corrupt and consume and nothing's safe.

The Tarka are boring and suck so their means of travel is also boring and sucks.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

The exclusive methods are also vital to the balance of the game, and massively boost the flavour. I'm also not too concerned about the realism aspect of tech trading in a game where one of the environmental enemies is the discarded space helmet of a giant psychic whale lich.

In fact, avoiding having any tech trading is one of the smartest moves a 4x can make. There's no way you can avoid it becoming massively unbalanced as you shadow broker the galaxy, but also incredibly tedious busy work.

GalCiv2 was incredibly bad for this.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 23, 2022

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Rappaport posted:

I liked the random MOO personalities, like the cats would always YOLO to early death, the birds were usually chill but sometimes would be assholes, etc. The race art was pretty good for the time too, and gave them character.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

because it's a game and there'd be no point in playing after someone gets there? It'd be like if chess had a rule where once one pawn crosses the board all of that player's pieces can move like a queen. the last thing in the Hiver tech tree is a slightly limited version of that where they don't need gates to hop to the nearest star anymore and if you've let things progress that long without seriously loving up the hivers that's GG

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 23, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
*inserts generic Stellaris FTL rant*

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bug Squash posted:

The exclusive methods are also vital to the balance of the game, and massively boost the flavour. I'm also not too concerned about the realism aspect of tech trading in a game where one of the environmental enemies is the discarded space helmet of a giant psychic whale lich.

In fact, avoiding having any tech trading is one of the smartest moves a 4x can make. There's no way you can avoid it becoming massively unbalanced as you shadow broker the galaxy, but also incredibly tedious busy work.

GalCiv2 was incredibly bad for this.

Oh absolutely not realism, the gameplay should be number one. I'm also against tech trading, since as you said, it's tedious. But tech capturing/recovery is a lot of fun AND gives additional incentive to capture planets/ships. As for the eventual massive unbalance you would get if you allowed ship drives to be captured I think that is one of the best ways to actually end a game like this. After a few hundred turns of players jockying for supremacy, one finally achieves it and can now travel through space, without star lanes, instantly. Making the mop up painless and feel like an achievement rather then tedious.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

because it's a game and there'd be no point in playing after someone gets there? It'd be like if chess had a rule where once one pawn crosses the board all of that player's pieces can move like a queen. the last thing in the Hiver tech tree is a slightly limited version of that where they don't need gates to hop to the nearest star anymore and if you've let things progress that long without seriously loving up the hivers that's GG

Yes when someone "wins" the game it ends.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rappaport posted:

I am reporting you for space racism against lizards.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
SotS has a whole lot of racial attributes that are completely divorced from the tech tree and the FTL methods each race uses is simply one of them. It's what helps give each race their character and identity and makes them each so unique.

Every race has different population growth/industrial production, different chances for different technologies on the semi-random tech tree, different costs/durability/speed/maneuverability/weapon hardpoints on the same classes of hull, different trade route productivity, etc. None of these can be stolen from other races or altered by research, they're just part of who you are.

As an example, let's consider the Morrigi and how their whole race is structured. Their destroyers are loving terrible. Relative to other races' destroyers, they have good weapons loadouts but are extremely expensive and fragile; pound for pound, getting into a destroyer fight as Morrigi against most other races will see you coming out losing economically even if you win militarily. The tradeoff for this is that Morrigi cruisers are top class, and going even further Morrigi dreadnoughts are terror incarnate. Morrigi have great tech chances across the board, especially for higher tier techs. They favor trade and have huge bonuses to it to the point where a fully developed Morrigi trade economy is the most lucrative thing in the game, but trade is very slow and expensive to get running and profitable. Their FTL method, the Flock Drive, is free-form hyperspace that is slow as poo poo baseline but gets increasing speed bonuses the more ships are jumping together, with larger bonuses for larger ships. A lone Morrigi destroyer moves like a snail. A full Morrigi fleet of dreadnoughts and cruisers might as well be teleporting from star to star.

The entire design of the race is that of a sleeping giant - they are subpar at everything early on but the more time you give them to get going the more powerful they become. Every little bit, including the FTL method, plays into this design philosophy - the power of the lategame flock drive is a payoff for dealing with how much it sucks rear end at the beginning. If a race with a better start could just nick the flock drive when it starts peaking in power it would be far less unique and satisfying.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 24, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Oh absolutely not realism, the gameplay should be number one. I'm also against tech trading, since as you said, it's tedious. But tech capturing/recovery is a lot of fun AND gives additional incentive to capture planets/ships. As for the eventual massive unbalance you would get if you allowed ship drives to be captured I think that is one of the best ways to actually end a game like this. After a few hundred turns of players jockying for supremacy, one finally achieves it and can now travel through space, without star lanes, instantly. Making the mop up painless and feel like an achievement rather then tedious.

Yes when someone "wins" the game it ends.

So, what, you're complaining that the fluff on a tech victory isn't marginally different? Why not just tell yourself that's what's happening as you paint the map with your top-tier ships that can be anywhere more or less instantaneously

Kanos posted:

SotS has a whole lot of racial attributes that are completely divorced from the tech tree and the FTL methods each race uses is simply one of them. It's what helps give each race their character and identity and makes them each so unique.

Every race has different population growth/industrial production, different chances for different technologies on the semi-random tech tree, different costs/durability/speed/maneuverability/weapon hardpoints on the same classes of hull, different trade route productivity, etc. None of these can be stolen from other races or altered by research, they're just part of who you are.

As an example, let's consider the Morrigi and how their whole race is structured. Their destroyers are loving terrible. Relative to other races' destroyers, they have good weapons loadouts but are extremely expensive and fragile; pound for pound, getting into a destroyer fight as Morrigi against most other races will see you coming out losing economically even if you win militarily. The tradeoff for this is that Morrigi cruisers are top class, and going even further Morrigi dreadnoughts are terror incarnate. Morrigi have great tech chances across the board, especially for higher tier techs. They favor trade and have huge bonuses to it to the point where a fully developed Morrigi trade economy is the most lucrative thing in the game, but trade is very slow and expensive to get running and profitable. Their FTL method, the Flock Drive, is free-form hyperspace that is slow as poo poo baseline but gets increasing speed bonuses the more ships are jumping together, with larger bonuses for larger ships. A lone Morrigi destroyer moves like a snail. A full Morrigi fleet of dreadnoughts and cruisers might as well be teleporting from star to star.

The entire design of the race is that of a sleeping giant - they are subpar at everything early on but the more time you give them to get going the more powerful they become. Every little bit, including the FTL method, plays into this design philosophy - the power of the lategame flock drive is a payoff for dealing with how much it sucks rear end at the beginning. If a race with a better start could just nick the flock drive when it starts peaking in power it would be far less unique and satisfying.

Morrigi are pretty subpar in the lategame too tbqh, if they survive to the dreadnought era their economy will start running away but unless everyone for some reason lets them get like an order of magnitude more powerful than anyone else their big fast murderball fleet they put everything into can still only be in one place at a time, while everyone else manages to be plenty fast enough simultaneously sending a single jammer DE to half a dozen systems and a smaller fleet to two. Kick rear end as a support player in team multi though

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 24, 2022

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

So, what, you're complaining that the fluff on a tech victory isn't marginally different? Why not just tell yourself that's what's happening as you paint the map with your top-tier ships that can be anywhere more or less instantaneously

Tech Victories and other "fill up the bucket" victories suck. I get why they are there but a well designed game, played well, doesn't need them. The purpose of being able to capture techs like ship drives would be to enable the player to do things that they normally wouldn't be able to do without finishing the tech tree. In SotS the Hiver Star Gates are the most obvious, but I could see some other possibilities, like being able to "drill" your own starlanes as the humans so that they could create a more direct path between their industrial worlds and their borders.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Kanos posted:

I occasionally get tempted to try a Morrigi run, but then I remember that the trade system is astonishingly poorly implemented and micro heavy. I think that probably should have been an early warning that Kerberos had no idea what they were doing.

I did make it to Morrigi endgame once though. A single dreadnought scout ship was able to beat the entire von Neumann homeworld.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Meme Poker Party posted:

I am reporting you for space racism against lizards.

The sad part? In the new MoO, the lizards are generally pretty nice to you. It's the purple ones in MoO2 that are absolute jerks.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kanos posted:

Weren't the Liir also the same? Awful destroyers which were comically slow and expensive, they barely had any population growth and you could hear dolfins crying when their ships blew up.

But then they could develop cruisers and dreadnoughts that would phase out of existence and allow enemy weapons to literally pass through them while their beams would just melt enemies.

But surviving to the dreadnought era with a terrible economy, terrible ships and terrible growth was a hell of a ride.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

In practice you never really reached that far into the tech tree in a normal game. The beauty of the Liir is that they could relatively easily build cloaked ships that launched biowarfare missiles at planets, erasing a homeworld from existence in a single volley.

Naturally the Zuul were immune to this, since the Zuul were OP as gently caress.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Oh yeah. Liirs big strength was they got extremely high chances for all the bioweapon research so you could commit tons of warcrimes

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Bug Squash posted:

I occasionally get tempted to try a Morrigi run, but then I remember that the trade system is astonishingly poorly implemented and micro heavy. I think that probably should have been an early warning that Kerberos had no idea what they were doing.

I did make it to Morrigi endgame once though. A single dreadnought scout ship was able to beat the entire von Neumann homeworld.

The trade system is where they put all of the irritating micromanagement cruft that they cut out of the rest of the game, basically.

Mans posted:

Weren't the Liir also the same? Awful destroyers which were comically slow and expensive, they barely had any population growth and you could hear dolfins crying when their ships blew up.

But then they could develop cruisers and dreadnoughts that would phase out of existence and allow enemy weapons to literally pass through them while their beams would just melt enemies.

But surviving to the dreadnought era with a terrible economy, terrible ships and terrible growth was a hell of a ride.

Liir were the super science guys. Their schtick was that they had awful growth and a poor economy but had insane research and huge chances on lots of mean rear end sneaky techs like bioweapons and cloaking devices.

Their ships were all pretty terrible in a straight fight, even the bigger ones. Their main ship gimmick was that they had inertialess drives so they could change directions instantly without acceleration or deceleration, and they had lots of turret mounts with full coverage. Super fragile and not terribly well gunned, though, and mostly reliant on leveraging their huge tech advantage in various underhanded ways.

Liir didn't actually want a game to go to super endgame because by then their big tech advantage was gone, their drive wasn't particularly great, and their ships were not designed to win even fights.

Basically the races worked on this spectrum:

Early-game powerhouses: Zuul, Humans
Mid-game powerhouses: Liir, Tarka
Late-game powerhouses: Hivers, Morrigi

The specifics vary heavily from race to race, of course.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 24, 2022

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

And the AI for those crybaby dolphins had no sense of proportion. If they see you trimming back an enemy planet they will switch from best friends to total genocidal crusade instantly. Very nicely implemented alien psychology I say, not at all crying as a dozen cruisers decloak to launch zombie virus missiles at my forge worlds.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Liir had a very annoying, but also very interesting FTL drive on the strategic map. Basically, they were unparallelled turbo fast in open void, but slowed down dramatically once you approached gravity wells of particular planets. So it kind of mostly sucked early game, when you're mostly hopping to explore nearby planets, but once you've reached your technologically advantaged mid-game... You had massive capabilities for empire-wide quick strategic redeployment, keeping a quick reaction force chilling somewhere in the void and and massive course corrections midway through. At the same time, the rapid braking by the very end made the generally-very-fast trips a bit committal, so you had to keep up some decent scouting at your borders not to get hosed by that minimal lag.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Lichtenstein posted:

Liir had a very annoying, but also very interesting FTL drive on the strategic map. Basically, they were unparallelled turbo fast in open void, but slowed down dramatically once you approached gravity wells of particular planets. So it kind of mostly sucked early game, when you're mostly hopping to explore nearby planets, but once you've reached your technologically advantaged mid-game... You had massive capabilities for empire-wide quick strategic redeployment, keeping a quick reaction force chilling somewhere in the void and and massive course corrections midway through. At the same time, the rapid braking by the very end made the generally-very-fast trips a bit committal, so you had to keep up some decent scouting at your borders not to get hosed by that minimal lag.

The end-lag also made them have real problems against races with bullshit quick FTL drives like humans, hivers(with gates up), and flocked out Morrigi. You could end up in a situation where your ships slowing down in enemy detection range gives them enough time to shift reinforcements in before you arrive, especially Hivers.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Birdy dreads with nothing but PD phasers and the lightning cannons :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorites were the Hivers and there was nothing funnier than a bunch of slow hard as hell ships with full ballistic layout just literally shoving enemy fleets out of the map-zone.