Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The younger one was found through social networks (allegedly), he turned 19 in December

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Smeef posted:

Why put them on a Toyota when you can put them on one of the many indestructible Lada Nivas?

Fair point.

fatherboxx posted:

The younger one was found through social networks (allegedly), he turned 19 in December

Poor fucker. I do feel bad for the Russian conscripts forced to do this poo poo, but only up to a point.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Comstar posted:

Well the other things is WHY fly so low? Western bombers can stay and bomb at 10K with PGM's but these guys are flying very low. Doesn't say much for their targeting abilities.

Ground attack aircraft fly low to go below radar detection, that's how they roll. Americans have A-10 Warthog, Brits have Tornado, ex-Soviets have Su-25.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

On the one hand, parading POW's is a bit of a war crime, not good.

On the other hand, militaries that are getting their poo poo kicked in all along the front do not really have opportunities to take prisoners, so I don't really begrudge Ukraine taking an information warfare win.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Dwesa posted:

some Russian POWs

they look really young

Soldiers are much younger than media tends to portray them. Movies and shows always depict grizzled spec-ops soldiers at the ends or past the ends of their careers, not the teens and early-twenty-year-olds that actually make up the bulk of militaries, since it'd look bad for Our Hero to be snapping the necks of people thirty years their junior

Alchenar posted:

Wait, is it? I didn't know that. What's the logic?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Merkel's last defense minister, was in office till December

https://twitter.com/akk/status/1496805470945923076?t=cNSd04q4iLk6t3mNMmUVug&s=19

Gotta keep a check on the oligarchy, leat they get strange ideas about his mandate

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1496804727199305728?t=MR7iBwgDbxY7ClecgANhyA&s=19

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

They look normal soldier age. We're just getting old.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

Nenonen posted:

Ground attack aircraft fly low to go below radar detection, that's how they roll. Americans have A-10 Warthog, Brits have Tornado, ex-Soviets have Su-25.

The UK retired the Tornado in 2019. We are using Eurofighter Typhoons for that role now.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Comstar posted:

Well the other things is WHY fly so low? Western bombers can stay and bomb at 10K with PGM's but these guys are flying very low. Doesn't say much for their targeting abilities.

More here, which increases the likelihood of it being real.

https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1496819883111329803

Meh, got deleted while I was writing. It was two MiG-29s at <500 feet doing fairly sharp turns, over a rural town or something. Didn't look like dogfighting, couldn't tell if they were armed either. If it's real, I think it's Ukrainian MiG-29s staying low to look for Russian helicopters (its radar won't find low flying helicopters very well) and/or to avoid Russian SAMs.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

Gotta keep a check on the oligarchy, leat they get strange ideas about his mandate

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1496804727199305728?t=MR7iBwgDbxY7ClecgANhyA&s=19

Hopefully someone studied history and brings a sturdy snuffbox

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

GABA ghoul posted:

Merkel's last defense minister, was in office till December

https://twitter.com/akk/status/1496805470945923076?t=cNSd04q4iLk6t3mNMmUVug&s=19

is oligarch an official russian title? you can just say you've summoned the oligarchs like you're in a fantasy novel

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Putin declares himself lord-regent of the reborn Russian Empire.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

GABA ghoul posted:

If I was an oligarch, I would call in sick.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comstar posted:

Generally the advantage of flying low is that it makes it harder to track the aircraft with long range radar as the terrain interferes with the return signal, especially if they are trying to evade other aircraft which would be searching for them from above, easier to pick out a radar signature against the open sky than against the ground. That also goes for long range anti aircraft missiles.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Alchenar posted:

On the other hand, militaries that are getting their poo poo kicked in all along the front do not really have opportunities to take prisoners, so I don't really begrudge Ukraine taking an information warfare win.

Sure, but it's not nearly as bad as launching rockets into cities or dressing up your soldiers as the enemy. The later can get you summarily executed.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
On a positive note, this thing has made me almost completely forget about COVID.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/juliaioffe/status/1496822443947839495

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

More here, which increases the likelihood of it being real.

https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1496819883111329803

Meh, got deleted while I was writing. It was two MiG-29s at <500 feet doing fairly sharp turns, over a rural town or something. Didn't look like dogfighting, couldn't tell if they were armed either. If it's real, I think it's Ukrainian MiG-29s staying low to look for Russian helicopters (its radar won't find low flying helicopters very well) and/or to avoid Russian SAMs.

Could still skip through the video in my tab.

Looks like the pylons are empty, or maybe that white thing is a heatseeker, perhaps even an old Atoll.

e:

https://twitter.com/PawanDurani/status/1496823484596781061

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

BoldFace posted:

If I was an oligarch, I would call in sick.

Enjoy never daring to drink tea ever again.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Seems like the only place that Ukraine is doing well is near Kharkov, which I guess is to be expected since most of their military was bordering the separatist areas.

T-80 with it's turret blown off
https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1496808569890508802

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Just came here to post this, it's absolutely nuts.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

its crazy how much putin is just completely at odds with the reputation hes built over the 20 loving years hes been in politics. Managed dissent so pressure doesn't build uncontrollably where you can't see it? Immediate arrest now. Crafty opportunist who goes for easy wins and bluffs? Full-scale invasion of Ukraine. Careful guarantor of Russian stability? Full-scale invasion of ukraine. Protect the economic interests of oligarchs? Full-scale invasion of Ukraine. Cold calculating mastermind? Rambling one hour speech about how Ukrainians were invented by the Bolsheviks

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

pippy posted:

Isn't the strategy to let areas be overrun and then cut them off and attack from their rear?

I'm truly afraid they can't afford much strategy atm (unless it's some cunning plan that's going over my head).
The insane military advantage Russia has atm in air force/armored vehicles makes it difficult to engage in conventional warfare.
Back at the start of the Iraq war, I remember saying that the war was gonna start when the initial invasion ended.
it's maybe an unfair comparison.
But when the invasion ends, then the question will be if Ukrainians (military and civilians) go for urban or guerrilla warfare, something that the Russians won't be able to control, even with all the manpower they have.
But this will lead to massive casualties, and usually the geneva convention goes out the window rather fast.
I honestly don't know how the population will react.
I've known some refugees from Chechnya, and I know how brutal Russian warfare can get.
Although Russian are now saying 'we're all the same people' and many people have relatives on both sides of the border. So maybe the lack of racism will keep it a bit more civilized?
I don't know, I'm just scared at everything that's happening. I hope through some miracle the Ukrainians can hold on to an independent nation without it being destroyed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

They don't need the 29's doing anything, I suspect they're flying loops over cities in no small part as a morale dominance move.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Seems like the only place that Ukraine is doing well is near Kharkov, which I guess is to be expected since most of their military was bordering the separatist areas.

T-80 with it's turret blown off
https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1496808569890508802

yeah ukraine seems to have been caught off-guard by Russia invading from every direction except Belarus

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

fatherboxx posted:

Hopefully someone studied history and brings a sturdy snuffbox

Yeah, it would be great if this turned into something, but I feels like that's not the world were living in, and it will just be super un-eventful thing and we'll never hear about it again.

Unless something changed behind the scenes and no ones notice then from everything I've heard the oligarchs are barely even going to raise their voice to Putin.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Alchenar posted:

They don't need the 29's doing anything, I suspect they're flying loops over cities in no small part as a morale dominance move.

Or they got launched in a panic, "do something, anything".

Here's a shootdown with a visible parachute. It says helicopter, so could be the Ka-52. We saw the cockpit of the other one earlier with red ejection handles, it can actually shed its rotor blades to allow ejection.

https://twitter.com/aldin_ww/status/1496825424550285316

Could also be anything else, Su-25 or Ukranian MiG-29.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

mrfart posted:

Although Russian are now saying 'we're all the same people' and many people have relatives on both sides of the border. So maybe the lack of racism will keep it a bit more civilized?
I don't know, I'm just scared at everything that's happening. I hope through some miracle the Ukrainians can hold on to an independent nation without it being destroyed.

putin is famous for his excellent treatment of ethnic russians who resist him so you may be on to something here.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Is there confirmation of Russian marine landings at Odessa?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

its crazy how much putin is just completely at odds with the reputation hes built over the 20 loving years hes been in politics. Managed dissent so pressure doesn't build uncontrollably where you can't see it? Immediate arrest now. Crafty opportunist who goes for easy wins and bluffs? Full-scale invasion of Ukraine. Careful guarantor of Russian stability? Full-scale invasion of ukraine. Protect the economic interests of oligarchs? Full-scale invasion of Ukraine. Cold calculating mastermind? Rambling one hour speech about how Ukrainians were invented by the Bolsheviks

from what i have heard from friends with family over there in well off places. the elite think putin has lost his loving mind and the oligarchs are scared because its clear putin doesnt give a poo poo anymore. putins always been a violent thug, he just knows how to bury it somewhat. i wouldn't be shocked if he uses this as giant purge because he has gone stalin level paranoid.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

yeah ukraine seems to have been caught off-guard by Russia invading from every direction except Belarus

Kharkov is nowhere near Belarus.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gort posted:

Wait, is it? I didn't know that. What's the logic?

Geneva Convention on the treatment of prisoners of war posted:

Article 13
Prisoners of war must at all times be humanely treated. Any unlawful act or omission by the Detaining Power causing death or seriously endangering the health of a prisoner of war in its custody is prohibited, and will be regarded as a serious breach of the present Convention. In particular, no prisoner of war may be subjected to physical mutilation or to medical or scientific experiments of any kind which are not justified by the medical, dental or hospital treatment of the prisoner concerned and carried out in his interest.

Likewise, prisoners of war must at all times be protected, particularly against acts of violence or intimidation and against insults and public curiosity

Measures of reprisal against prisoners of war are prohibited.

This is to protect the prisoners from reprisals at home etc.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Russians are getting bloodied near Kharkov.

NSFW - DEAD BODY

https://twitter.com/veyselmidilli3/status/1496817380424617986

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1496827335378550785

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

loving lol if the Russians fail.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mrfart posted:

I'm truly afraid they can't afford much strategy atm (unless it's some cunning plan that's going over my head).
The insane military advantage Russia has atm in air force/armored vehicles makes it difficult to engage in conventional warfare.
Back at the start of the Iraq war, I remember saying that the war was gonna start when the initial invasion ended.
it's maybe an unfair comparison.
But when the invasion ends, then the question will be if Ukrainians (military and civilians) go for urban or guerrilla warfare, something that the Russians won't be able to control, even with all the manpower they have.
But this will lead to massive casualties, and usually the geneva convention goes out the window rather fast.
I honestly don't know how the population will react.
I've known some refugees from Chechnya, and I know how brutal Russian warfare can get.

nah the racism is there, they dont view ukrainians as a seperate people at all. this will get ugly even if their isnt some free ukrainian army holding a city, hell part of the reasons there probably will be resistance and poo poo is because alot of ukranians know this. guess we will see.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Russians are getting bloodied near Kharkov.

NSFW - DEAD BODY

https://twitter.com/veyselmidilli3/status/1496817380424617986

least their are some "positives".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

Sadly it seems that according to the ukranians the Russian VDV have taken the airport that’s only 115 km from Kyiv so pretty soon it’s gonna be game over sadly

The border with Russia is 70 km further, this doesn’t mean anything particular I’d say. Easier logistics for things they have forgotten, I guess, if the airstrip remains serviceable or can be repaired swiftly.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

from what i have heard from friends with family over there in well off places. the elite think putin has lost his loving mind and the oligarchs are scared because its clear putin doesnt give a poo poo anymore. putins always been a violent thug, he just knows how to bury it somewhat. i wouldn't be shocked if he uses this as giant purge because he has gone stalin level paranoid.

I got that impression too solely from the NSC meeting - several of the participants - cabinet members and the like - looked legitimately scared.

Not necessarily for their immediate safety, but more that if they said something even slightly wrong that they would become high-rise apartment balcony fodder in a few weeks.

Of course, it could just be fear about their political future (ie: they know this will be a bloody mess and economic disaster, but were being forced to visibly endorse it making them politicially culpable).

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Ola posted:

loving lol if the Russians fail.

Eh...the Russians aren't going to be as cautious and methodical as an American army. They want to blast through as fast as possible, and if that means losing a hundred men where we would lose ten, they'll do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

SUMMON THE OLIGARCHS