Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Definitely going to need to see some evidence on the last part before I believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

ZombieLenin posted:

That’s pretty drat dismissive of the Taliban. Let me remind you the Taliban defeated the United States, whose armed forces are considerably more capable than Russia’s, and the Afghans defeated the Soviet Union.

Please be realistic here. They chose to leave. This not to denigrate any armed forces around the world. But the Taliban were insurgents who simply made occupying the country too annoying and costly, not because they drove the invaders out at the point of a sword.

Russia has a modern military meant to fight a conventional war. It will be nothing like taking on the Taliban.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

At the end of the day if this was Finland and not Ukraine, maybe sanctions go out quicker but why would NATO risk WW3 over a country that they're not allied with.

Although I can see Finland applying for NATO and getting in a lot quicker than Ukraine. Like I think if they came under serious threat they'd be in a long as they asked.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Pook Good Mook posted:

Only the most ambitious Russians could cross 100km in a few days and by that point the Ukrainians could make the entire field worthless.

Also the quickest path is through the Chernobyl exclusion zone...

If they were doing it smart/correctly they would be ferrying in troops via the airfield very quickly. That CNN video makes it seem like that didn't happen.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Sinteres posted:

Definitely going to need to see some evidence on the last part before I believe it.

Yeah... I don't think that would be beneficial for anyone

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ZombieLenin posted:

I concur. They are very far behind enemy lines and the Ukrainian Army has heavy indirect fire assets in the area.

This is scorched earth territory. “Air support”under the thickest Ukrainian integrates air defense network does nothing to protect VDV forces from shells and rocket artillery and the Ukrainians can just reduce the airport to body filled ruble.

Yeah...this seems like an odd "show of force" for little gain:

Yeah you took an airport hundreds of kilometers away from your reinforcements on your reportedly weakest front, now you are utterly cut off and surrounded. It's a potentially decent propaganda tool I guess, but those spec ops should just be considered killed or captured at this point. Again, not a lot of gain for substantial losses.

This is what I mean, a lot of Russian maneuvers reported seem very...amateurish so far? They aren't used to fighting a war where they can't just bulldoze.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 24, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CSM posted:

Of course an invasion of Sweden or Finland would pull in the rest of the EU and by extension the whole of NATO in a hot war. Which is why it's extremely unlikely to happen.

BoldFace posted:

If NATO has to choose between letting Finland burn and starting WW3, they will choose the former 100% the time. Let there be no doubt about that. Finland's advantage is that it is not nearly as important politically, economically, or strategically to Russia as Ukraine is.

If i were Finland, this would be my rationale for joining ASAP. Sure the chances of Russia trying something are extremely small but if they managed tu pull a fast one, it would be up to NATO (or EU lol) to escalate the conflict instead of it being an automatic outcome. This eliminates any possible risk calculation from the Russian side.

But of course membership is voluntary so whatever. They don't even make phones any more :v:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

anti-war protest in Novosibirsk
https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1496851946107551749

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

ZombieLenin posted:

I wouldn’t say that. While small , the Royal Danish Army was pretty heavily engaged in Afghanistan and handled themselves incredibly well.

Don't forget Bosnia.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

BoldFace posted:

If NATO has to choose between letting Finland burn and starting WW3, they will choose the former 100% the time. Let there be no doubt about that. Finland's advantage is that it is not nearly as important politically, economically, or strategically to Russia as Ukraine is.

Russia will not attack Finland. Finland counts as Western Europe now and would be a bridge too far for Europe if attacked by Russia.

Despite Finland not being in NATO there would be a very real possibility that Russia attacking her would result in a military confrontation with NATO.

Which is why a Russian attack will not ever be in the cards… unless Putin is not just crazy, but batshit crazy.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I would simply not drive my tank into chernobyl and blow up a radioactive waste facility but maybe im just not clever enough to be in Putin's 3rd Gopnik Guards

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

ZombieLenin posted:

Russia will not attack Finland. Finland counts as Western Europe now and would be a bridge too far for Europe if attacked by Russia.

Despite Finland not being in NATO there would be a very real possibility that Russia attacking her would result in a military confrontation with NATO.

Which is why a Russian attack will not ever be in the cards… unless Putin is not just crazy, but batshit crazy.

"Gotta stop those Finnish Nazis."

-Putin, probably

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Man if the NSC gets damaged that is going to be an existential amount of wasted life

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

projecthalaxy posted:

I would simply not drive my tank into chernobyl and blow up a radioactive waste facility but maybe im just not clever enough to be in Putin's 3rd Gopnik Guards

I have to assume its spent fuel storage, which is likely to be a low risk issue.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

reports that finland is discovering a way to weaponize donald duck comics. they must be subdued for russian security.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Pook Good Mook posted:

"Gotta stop those Finnish Nazis."

-Putin, probably

I might be biased but i feel like planning one's strategy around "Putin isn't that crazy" at this exact moment is questionable.

Also I'd have thought NATO would care about the wholesale slaughter of Ukrainians before lets be honest 2014 really so who knows maybe they'll decide that Finns are uhhh *spins wheel* too Asiatic to be real people sorry try again later

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

TulliusCicero posted:

Yeah you took an airport hundreds of kilometers away from your reinforcements on your reportedly weakest front, now you are utterly cut off and surrounded. It's a potentially decent propaganda tool I guess, but those spec ops should just be considered killed or capturd at this point. Again, not a lot of gain for substantial losses.

This is what I mean, a lot of Russian maneuvers reported seem very...Amateurish so far? They aren't used to fighting a war where they can't just bulldoze.

This is part of my supposition that things are not going to Russia’s plan. I am assuming that the Russians thought they’d be in a much better position to support this airborne operation by now than they actually are.

Otherwise, from a military perspective this was a completely stupid thing to waste some of Russia’s best trained soldiers on.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

A lot of helicopters can survive a hit. But its a helicopter that isn't going to go back into service. That's called a vehicle kill and it counts.

Fair enough on the specific terminology, I did mean to say it was survivable for the crew. I was responding to the comment posted in the tweet mainly, that handful of aircraft losses were *probably* taken as a given in Russia's war-planning and aren't an unexpected outcome.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

brugroffil posted:

Fair enough on the specific terminology, I did mean to say it was survivable for the crew. I was responding to the comment posted in the tweet mainly, that handful of aircraft losses were *probably* taken as a given in Russia's war-planning and aren't an unexpected outcome.

True, and agreed.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

CommieGIR posted:

The hope was likely to link up with Russian armor coming down from Belarus, it was unlikely they'd allow heavy lift come in until the airport was fully secured.

But yeah, the Ukrainians seem to have the right idea: Either deny the airport to the Russians or take it back.

Yeah, in US doctrine, we call them joint forcible entrances (JFEs). Typically the airborne seizes the airfield, then you have an air assault element help "expand the lodgement" and then armor units are landed at the airport to begin further exploitation. Not a perfect explanation because I haven't done one, just did one at a planning course.

There's videos of Russian helicopters going that way, so likely trying to do step 2.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

reports that finland is discovering a way to weaponize donald duck comics. they must be subdued for russian security.

Just need to start exporting the horrible licorice sweets and instant coffee to crush Russian morale

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1496860722059517958

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Ukraine might have downed a transport plane

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukraine/comments/t0cc7u/russian_an26_downed/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yup. That's not good. Hopefully that was on the way to Kiev airport.

They touched it! They touched it!

Realistically, there's little they could do to Chernobyl that would create any risk to anyone outside the immediate area.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

brugroffil posted:

I don't think a helicopter surviving a stinger hit is a sign of things going poorly for Russian military forces so far.

Yeah I don't think anyone except the military commanders know what's actually happening and with the speed of modern warfare, even they probably don't have a full picture.
This isn't command and conquer we're not going to get real time information as civilians.

Random videos of a chopper being shot down don't matter much to the overall strategic picture which in my opinion points to the Ukrainian resistance disintegrating within a week.

Remember: in 1999 the United States lost an F-117 over Yugoslavia thanks to some luck with some old 1960s era short range SAMs. In the grand scheme of things the regime was still overthrown and the NATO bombings did their work.

Russia could probably lose 50 helicopters and still win this war. The real question is how much resistance Ukranian regulars can put up to make this a costly conflict for Russia. Do they fight the full brunt of their assault or do they break off into a Taliban style resistance? Do they have the will to fight?

From the limited footage I've seen of their territorial defense militias its basically a bunch of rank amateurs playing at war. It's like expecting the British Home Army in WW2 to blunt the main advance of Germany through France. Most of them have real life jobs, families and their military adventures are part time. Some of them are professions like cyber security experts and while their hearts are in the right place it seems to make more sense to use them in their original jobs rather than having them out on patrols in the snow against Russian regulars.

Anyway I know nothing- I'm not a soldier or a military commander. But my gut tells me Ukraine is toast and its just a question of how long and how costly it'll be for the Russians.

EDIT: Personally I hope this war costs the Russians dearly in blood and treasure so they think twice about Finland or one of the Baltic states.

Kraftwerk fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 24, 2022

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

A Su27? firing missiles flying low over Ukraine (warning: screams)
https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1496854488933715972

MOD NOTE: Spoilered this. There's a very upset child in the video. Please NWS/NMS videos and spoiler them if they have upsetting sounds/images

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 24, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

p small turnout but i guess big by russian standards? maybe?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

The hope was likely to link up with Russian armor coming down from Belarus, it was unlikely they'd allow heavy lift come in until the airport was fully secured.

But yeah, the Ukrainians seem to have the right idea: Either deny the airport to the Russians or take it back.

Ashmole posted:

Yeah, in US doctrine, we call them joint forcible entrances (JFEs). Typically the airborne seizes the airfield, then you have an air assault element help "expand the lodgement" and then armor units are landed at the airport to begin further exploitation. Not a perfect explanation because I haven't done one, just did one at a planning course.

There's videos of Russian helicopters going that way, so likely trying to do step 2.

The US wouldn't do that without complete control of the airport in the sort of wars the US has been fighting.

In an all-out war scenario you would potentially do absolutely that. Combat landing C17s onto captured airfields is something US military trains for.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

Anyway I know nothing- I'm not a soldier or a military commander. But my gut tells me Ukraine is toast and its just a question of how long and how costly it'll be for the Russians.

Thanks for thinking of Ukrainians as just "people" with "jobs". What was the point of this

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Jarmak posted:

If they were doing it smart/correctly they would be ferrying in troops via the airfield very quickly. That CNN video makes it seem like that didn't happen.

supposedly ukranians covered the airfield's runways in tractors and disabled heavy machinery and so on. WHo knows if that's true or just a rumor though.

TulliusCicero posted:

Yeah you took an airport hundreds of kilometers away from your reinforcements on your reportedly weakest front, now you are utterly cut off and surrounded. It's a potentially decent propaganda tool I guess, but those spec ops should just be considered killed or captured at this point. Again, not a lot of gain for substantial losses.

This is what I mean, a lot of Russian maneuvers reported seem very...amateurish so far? They aren't used to fighting a war where they can't just bulldoze.

nah it's the opposite, in theory. You take the airport so that it becomes your anchor point and your resupply hub and it lets you bring in troop transports and mega transports full of armored vehicles, which saves you driving them for a day or two across ukraine. If they can succesfully take it, it's a huge benefit.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 24, 2022

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Yup. That's not good. Hopefully that was on the way to Kiev airport.
it looks like military plane

Keisari
May 24, 2011

MikeC posted:

Please be realistic here. They chose to leave. This not to denigrate any armed forces around the world. But the Taliban were insurgents who simply made occupying the country too annoying and costly, not because they drove the invaders out at the point of a sword.

Russia has a modern military meant to fight a conventional war. It will be nothing like taking on the Taliban.

To be fair, this is how insurgencies work when it comes to foreign invaders. Insurgencies can never really defeat an army like the US or Russia has directly, they win by destroying the invader's will to continue.

This of course doesn't apply to domestic insurgencies like Cuba, where the rebels can take over the government.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Russian reports of Ukranian Anti-air being neutralized seem to be uh...how should I put this...optimistic?

....Did Putin purge all of his good generals like Stalin or something? There's a lot of unforced errors here.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 24, 2022

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

mightygerm posted:

MOD NOTE: Spoilered this. There's a very upset child in the video. Please NWS/NMS videos and spoiler them if they have upsetting sounds/images

This is so freaking scary, it's hard to imagine.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1496862540957114370

TulliusCicero posted:

Russian Reports of Ukranian Anti-air being neutralized seem to be uh...how should I put this...optimistic?

....Did Putin purge all of his good generals like Stalin or something? There's a lot of unforced errors here.

it sounds like the first wave of missile strikes probably did take out a lot of emplaced anti-air, it's just the big problem is all the guys with portable launchers lol

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

mightygerm posted:

Goddamn striking little village cabins with air to surface missiles seams just a little... well it's not really sporting of them is it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
:siren:Any NWS/NMS Content including war violence MUST be spoilered and tagged as NMS/NWS!:siren:

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
Some breathtaking Russian propaganda here:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1496821150776807424

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

seems like a strange goal, it does not produce electricity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Ashmole posted:

Jarmak posted:

The US wouldn't do that without complete control of the airport in the sort of wars the US has been fighting.

In an all-out war scenario you would potentially do absolutely that. Combat landing C17s onto captured airfields is something US military trains for.

According to the CNN journalist whose video was shared earlier, the Russian airborne special forces were indeed inserted via helicopter as part of what the US military would consider an contested air assault.