Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah but it’s been worth it, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Absolutely.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!
Slowest discord ever

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

NewFatMike posted:

I blame Ophidian, personally. For the cigar part, at least. I think I might blame Mr. Wiggles for my pipe smoking renaissance.

I'm always happy to help people delve into a lifestyle of class and relaxation.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Speaking of your influence, Royal Yacht loving rules. This and Semois are hitting my cigar buttons.

I think I’m about to dive deep into Virginias given how much I’m enjoying this and Three Nuns. Hell yeah.

I got another mail call today from Boswell. I’ve put it down for a bit, but Northwoods (English) is one of my favorites as is their Berry Cobbler - maybe the best aromatic I’ve ever had:

E: do yourself a favor and grab some Boswell aromatic and English samplers and a sampler of Virginias with some Missouri Meerschaum pipes. I’m loving the Ozark hardwoods.

https://www.pipesandcigars.com/mobile/shop/missouri-meerschaum-brand/1701553/

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 28, 2022

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Oooh I like that jar.

Also those hardwood MM pipes really do smoke so well. I love all my fancy pipes, but dang if sometimes the cheapest ones don't smoke the best.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Edit: nm

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006
I wound up representing my company at a gumbo cook off yesterday. We did not win, but our gumbo was well received and I got to drink a few pitchers of beer on our sales rep's tab, so that's a win to me.

Today, my back is on fire from bending over a propane cooker sitting on the ground all day. I told our sales rep I'm going to make a stand to get it up off the ground before the next cook-off.

Thread related because I was offered a cigar while cooking. It was an A-F curly head, which was surprisingly really nice for a budget cigar. Even burn, nice mild-medium body, good slightly sweet and leather flavors. I honestly wouldn't think twice at grabbing a few of them for knock around /yard 'gars, if they weren't about the same price as an Oliva Serie G.

Enjoy this picture of my sasquatch lookin' rear end smokin' and stirrin'.

*edit*\/\/\/ Cedar Creek in Houston?

Hayden fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 31, 2022

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Hayden posted:

I wound up representing my company at a gumbo cook off yesterday. We did not win, but our gumbo was well received and I got to drink a few pitchers of beer on our sales rep's tab, so that's a win to me.

Today, my back is on fire from bending over a propane cooker sitting on the ground all day. I told our sales rep I'm going to make a stand to get it up off the ground before the next cook-off.

Thread related because I was offered a cigar while cooking. It was an A-F curly head, which was surprisingly really nice for a budget cigar. Even burn, nice mild-medium body, good slightly sweet and leather flavors. I honestly wouldn't think twice at grabbing a few of them for knock around /yard 'gars, if they weren't about the same price as an Oliva Serie G.

Enjoy this picture of my sasquatch lookin' rear end smokin' and stirrin'.

I think my buddy was cooking in that same cook off!!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm hardly into my first bowl and I am loving Galloping Gertie from Seattle Pipe Club. It is a VaPer crumble kake (crumble kake lyfe). Sweet like barbecue sauce, tangy, earthy, and a little floral with grass bringing up the rear.

I'll update with my trip report for Deception Pass, but I have a good feeling considering how much I love SPC. Deception Pass is ribbon cut and the tin note smells like salt and vinegar chips, so I'm going to avail myself of one of the little tester noseburners Mr. Wiggles gave me!

e: 50% off AJ Fernandez Last Calls on Atlantic: https://atlanticcigar.com/search-re...status=In+Stock

Ee: the Deception Pass is delightfully tangy and funky. A really nice change of pace from more straightforward Virginias. Definitely getting both in 8oz tins!

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 3, 2022

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
Sunshine, Golden Sliced, and abuncha beers are all that’s left on the to do list today.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Beers sound real nice. I might jump over if this smoke outlasts my coffee!

Johnny-O Corona Gorda. Very nutty and rose forward so far. Developing into an H. Upmann profile now. Interestingly, I think I prefer this and the baby Salamon to any of the other Johnny-O custom rolls we’ve had so far. $6.50 for this one and $10 for those crazy good baby Salamones.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

I've smoke my new Stanwell (shape 54) a couple times now, and I will be getting more Stanwells down the road. Knockout quality for the price.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I snagged a completely stupid deal on CigarPage last week for Hamlet Tabaquero Balas - box of 20 for $89 (normally $189). I bought two of them and they are incredible, even ROTT.

I also made good on my threat at Smoking Pipes. I picked up some more Galloping Gertie, Capstan Blue, Savinelli Doblone d'Oro, and Peterson Irish Cask. Besides some of the Dunhill remakes, I haven't had any Peterson tobaccos, and I really hope they're gonna be yummy.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The Peterson Irish Cask is fantastic. Enjoy!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My order came in! Everything is in jars and the first one I rubbed and dried is the Savinelli Doblone d’Oro. It is delicious right off the top of the bowl. Holy moly. If you like Virginias, do yourself a favor and give this a try.

It’s a little tingly on my tongue. Buttery molasses is the dominant flavor with baking and bakery spices in back.

It’s a coin cut so it rubs out easily. I’m loving this. I think it might displace Three Nuns - it’s better, I think, in every way.

Might get up to some posting crimes and double post my trip report with Irish Cask later this evening.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

All of my cigars have been running wet lately, so I switched to 65% Bovedas, and also took all of my trays out of my humidor to dry out for a couple days. My ambient RH runs around 55-60% lately, so hopefully I'll have more smokeable sticks soon. I'm stick of trying to smoke wet cigars.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I’m considering going to 62 myself but I don’t want to buy the GIANT bovedas to get there.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ophidian posted:

I’m considering going to 62 myself but I don’t want to buy the GIANT bovedas to get there.

I bought 10 of the giant 62 bovedas for my big tote that I keep most of my Cuban sticks in. Seems to be working well, I'm debating swapping out the small 69 bovedas in my Cuban tupperwares for 62s as well but I've been too lazy.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

For what it's worth, I switched to the large 62 bovedas, and found most of my sticks far dryer than I would like. I'd do a single large one in a small cooler / tupperdor before I did it to my whole stash.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I dry box all of my cigars (Cubans) because at 65 they are generally too wet.

I would not store new world cigars that low as they are generally wrapped looser and you don’t want to have a draw like an unrestricted boba straw.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Happy international pipe smoking day I guess? I’m celebrating with some Erinmore in my first pipe, a Peterson’s Irish Whiskey shape 15 that I bought over 20 years ago now. The rim is pretty beat to poo poo and charred, and yeah, I’ve put some stuff through it I shouldn’t have a few times in my youth and had to give it a good reaming and washing, but it’s still a fine smoker.

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

Some people like Cubans at 69%.
I myself like 65%.

I wouldn't trust any of those electronic humidifiers that you can buy (Cigar Oasis, etc.). They are way too fiddly and before I got my proper Cigar Cooler I'd have to stick the humidifier on a thing that turns it off once the RH gets to the point.
I also removed the florist foam and replaced it with water beads, too.

Boveda, on the other hand, are awesome.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I have successfully dropped my humidity. The first two cigars I smoked after the transition have been great, so I have hopes that this is will a more consistent experience now that I'm on 65s.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Anyone ever use a FoodSaver jar vacuum sealer on their pipe tobacco? I'm borrowing one to try out for cellaring bulk varieties. It seems to work pretty well sealing up the wide-mouth canning jars.

Edit: I did a cursory internet search and it seems many pipe-heads in the pipe forums think that vacuum sealing a canning jar will somehow remove all of the oxygen from the jar and thus somehow prevent it from aging properly. I don't buy that. There is no way my rinky-dink FoodSaver comes anywhere close to evacuating all the atmosphere from a rigid jar before the pressure differential causes the lid to pop and seal. Also, by my understanding, tobacco tins come vacuum sealed in the first place (i.e., they aren't sealed using any hot-canning process). So I'm going to press on until I read something more convincing.

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 24, 2022

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Howard The Dork posted:

Anyone ever use a FoodSaver jar vacuum sealer on their pipe tobacco? I'm borrowing one to try out for cellaring bulk varieties. It seems to work pretty well sealing up the wide-mouth canning jars.

Edit: I did a cursory internet search and it seems many pipe-heads in the pipe forums think that vacuum sealing a canning jar will somehow remove all of the oxygen from the jar and thus somehow prevent it from aging properly. I don't buy that. There is no way my rinky-dink FoodSaver comes anywhere close to evacuating all the atmosphere from a rigid jar before the pressure differential causes the lid to pop and seal. Also, by my understanding, tobacco tins come vacuum sealed in the first place (i.e., they aren't sealed using any hot-canning process). So I'm going to press on until I read something more convincing.

There seems to be some debate as to this. For me, I'm lazy, and there's no clear benefit to vacuum sealing the jars, so I don't.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Firing up my first bowl of Capstan Blue this morning, and while not my favorite Virginia, it is definitely quite pleasant. What I'm really learning, though, is that the difference between cheap and nice pipe tobacco is a WIDE gulf. And the nice pipe tobacco hardly costs anything, especially in comparison to cigars.

So yeah, if you're curious about pipes and pipe smoking, do yourself a favor and start with some nicer tobaccos. I've bounced off my pipes an awful lot, and it took a lot of tries to find what I was looking for. And these nicer tobaccos aren't just nicer flavor-wise, but nicer stuff (ime) gurgles less, packs easier, and burns more consistently. The finicky nature of the cheapo tobaccos I was getting was my biggest turnoff.

And trip report on Peterson Irish Cask: this stuff is some of the smoothest, most pleasant tobacco I've had in my pipe. I think it'll be one of my go-to's, especially when I'm not in the mood for anything in particular.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

There are some good pipe tobacco reviews here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5bk8l-rKXpF9loCe9j9evXu-3Q_zRHHg

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Mike recommended the Rocky Patel Hamlets in the discord, so I yolo'd a box of "vintage" Balas and a box of Coronas from cigar page for INSANELY cheap, and boy I'm glad I did. Apparently they've been sitting in Rocky Patel's humidified storage for 4/5 years. I believe it- these are wildly tasty, unbelievably smooth and have some nice yellowing on the cellos. Get in there before they're gone.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Padron remains probably the strongest overall producer for me. I love My Father stuff, it has nice selection of flavor profiles and is top quality. The Leaf by Oscar series is great, and I love most Nubs.

But this poo poo right here.

Nutty, peppery, just a tiny touch of sweet on top of the leather. It's very late when I started this up, otherwise I might have gone for a 6000 instead of a londres to enjoy it a bit longer. It's too bad Padrons have been so hard to find lately, but at least Atlantic has an Alert When In Stock function on their listings.

So far I've had the following Padrons:

Natural:

Corticos (cigarillo)
Londres (corona)
2000 (robusto)
6000 (torpedo)
Panatelas (panatela)

1964 Principe (petite corona)

1926 No. 35 (corona)

Maduro:

2000 (robusto)
3000 (robusto+)

80th Anniversary (big double perfecto)

Obviously the 80th Anniversary was a masterpiece. The 1964 Principe is a punchy, beautiful stick, and is right in the "special but not too special" occasion market. Of the main line offerings, I think my favorite is still the 2000 natural, with the Londres a close second. The Panatelas are lovely, but a bit finicky due to the extreme format (6.9 x 36). The Corticos are a must-have short smoke. Broadly I agree with resident Padron fiend ThatOneGuy that the natural is better than the maduro up to the 1964 line, since the natural 1926 I smoked was too mellow for me. The main line maduros are great, but I like wood and spice more than espresso and chocolate overall.

I'm hoping to one day try all of the vitolas of at least the natural main line.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Kenning posted:

Broadly I agree with resident Padron fiend ThatOneGuy that the natural is better than the maduro up to the 1964 line, since the natural 1926 I smoked was too mellow for me.

That’s not what I say at all!

Naturals are tolerable up to and including the 1964 line. But it’s Maduro all the way for me.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh, totally misunderstood apparently! I'm on team natural.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
These things happen, and you’re still smoking Padron so you’re a step ahead to begin with.

I do like a Natural in a few particular sizes, such as the 1964 Corona, otherwise it’s Maduro for me.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

The 1926 Natural #9 is the best Padron, but yeah, they're all good.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

The 1926 Natural #9 is the best Padron, but yeah, they're all good.

That doesn't say No 47 Maduro, for regular production. The 85th is a strong contender, and the 50th Anniversary is probably the best cigar I've ever had.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Not sure I've had the 47 Maduro, but I'm willing to give it a try!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Are the Padron Damaso any good? I enjoy an Ecuador Connecticut wrapper in general, and I'm curious how Padron handles it.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
The Damaso is a cigar line that Padron makes.

For the price they are pretty meh. I’d give one a shot, but keep expectations on anything other than construction to be lower than you would have for a Padron.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I smoked a Padron 6000 the other night that was off the chain. Gorgeous cigar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'm thinking I want to try some Lakeland pipe tobaccos - they sound weird and very up my alley.

I particularly want to try Ennerdale by Gawith & Hoggarth, and am tempted by St. Bruno Flake by Mac Baren, but I've been bit by them a few times before already. Any thoughts or suggestions?