Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Fly Molo posted:

was minsk II still on the table
was nordstream 2 still on the table
was letting the breakaway states be independent still on the table
was barring ukraine from NATO still on the table

no, all other options for resolving this were dead. anyway Putin’s a madman and the west is 100% blameless for leading ukraine on then hanging it out to dry. oorah

hm yes thinking killing a bunch of Ukrainians is bad means the west is blameless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WoodrowSkillson posted:

very low bar to clear, but fine, not much smarter lol.

my working theory is wealth and success gives u brain worms so the US has more of them :hmmyes:

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Media keeps on saying this is the first large conventional war since ww2 but iran-iraq war def qualifies. Could also point to korean war.

US media and intelligentsia are braindead

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Geopolitics, don't touch the stuff. Not even once

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

dont really understand any MLs still trying to defend this war. The first 30 mins of his declaration of war was putin crying about lenin & stalin & the nationalities policies of the Soviet Union and promising to finish decommunization lol

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
yeah the idea that any russian government would willingly allow ukraine to join a hostile military alliance is kinda bonkers thinking

they already have guns pointed at them from every direction

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

MLSM posted:

My understanding is You have a lovely understanding about the history of the region

ok, so what they said + revanchism

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Frosted Flake posted:

Are you joking? NATO on their borders through a closer relationship with THEE Ukraine is a military threat which is why, when diplomacy failed, it was met with military force.

Ukraine was not in NATO. If Ukraine was in NATO, that would not justify military invasion.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

brugroffil posted:

The diplomatic resolution was to not build up forces and then to not send them over the border. Russia does not actually need to intervene with the breakaway areas and create two new countries out of them.

so if russia won’t let ukraine join NATO, like they’ve been very openly saying for 8 years, which other diplomatic avenues were still open for that? wasn’t it irresponsible for the West to lead on ukraine then not back then up?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

dont really understand any MLs still trying to defend this war. The first 30 mins of his declaration of war was putin crying about lenin & stalin & the nationalities policies of the Soviet Union and promising to finish decommunization lol

Hey buddy are you familiar with the last 30 years of nato expansion towards russia that might have something to do with it lol

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Lastgirl posted:

why would you

intelligence community has no credibility for the last 20 years

the massing made me felt like it was going to happen just from the fact that people kept egging and drumming it up, so if you consistently and continuously paint putin in that direction with no recourse, he's just going to say gently caress it and he did, then now everyone's acting like he's gone mad when they want him to be a madman the whole time

Ignoring western intelligence is usually a safe bet, but Putin himself repeatedly and clearly stated his intentions, demanded diplomatic concessions, and said what he would do if diplomacy reached a dead end. If he did nothing, he would look like a chump, and there was no good reason to just bluff and do nothing afterwards.

I'd still be surprised if there is any kind of persistent ground invasion. A more reasonable plan might be to force diplomatic concessions after a short air campaign and special forces activities. But idk, without a ground occupation the Ukrainian govt may not cave, and Putin has kind of worked himself into a position where he may feel he has no alternative.

I really don't see what the endgame here is, though. This action will drive every former soviet country not named Belarus further into the arms of NATO and the west, further militarize the region, further isolate the Russian economy, and essentially cement in place & accelerate the encirclement of Russia by NATO. Ukraine itself, regardless of the outcome here, is going to be more, not less hostile to Russia, and it's questionable whether Russia can actually take or hold the western part of the country on any long term basis. It seems the end state here is "everything even worse for Russia than 6 months ago, but with possibly Ukraine east of the Dnieper with a nominally more friendly government, for now".

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Karl Barks posted:

Geopolitics, don't touch the stuff. Not even once

This threads gonna get a Lot more funny as more Americans start posting in it as they realize what's happening

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

brugroffil posted:

The diplomatic resolution was to not build up forces and then to not send them over the border. Russia does not actually need to intervene with the breakaway areas and create two new countries out of them.

Yes it does - to prevent NATO ascension. The breakaways were the first, rushed attempted in 2014. Minsk II stalling risked the threat remaining, it had to be dealt with.

The military build up was part of trying to reach a diplomatic resolution. Do you think it’s like the West Wing when everybody appeals to Liberal virtues? No - mobilization and wargames are the diplomatic equivalent of “this is worth going to war for us, please negotiate”.

Zelensky gave them the finger over and over and over again.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

MLSM posted:

Hey buddy are you familiar with the last 30 years of nato expansion towards russia that might have something to do with it lol

sure but maybe don’t solve that by invading another country

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I don't think Russia should get a veto on whether an independent country wants to join NATO.

There were certainly dumb things NATO/western countries have done, and have had their own missteps. They don't justify a military invasion of another country or the demand to create new independent countries out of that country.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

brugroffil posted:

Ukraine was not in NATO. If Ukraine was in NATO, that would not justify military invasion.

Lol this guy is so ignorant.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
The other thread is wild just full on bloodlust that makes the coolzone at the peak of the protests look normal. Sicko poo poo and those pussies still wont pull up in the Ukraine to join their nazi ilk.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

This threads gonna get a Lot more funny as more Americans start posting in it as they realize what's happening

I eagerly await the meltdowns that are going to happen itt.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i do not think anyone here does not think the west goaded russia into this by expanding nato and loving about in ukraine since euromaidan

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Torpor posted:

sure but maybe don’t solve that by invading another country

So they should have waited until Ukraine joined a military alliance with nuclear weapons then ?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

:thunk:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Did you all know that putin is bad and very right winged?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WoodrowSkillson posted:

hm yes thinking killing a bunch of Ukrainians is bad means the west is blameless

no but this is the end result of a long, open, and very concerted push by the US media, diplomats, and advisors to push Russia into doing exactly this. including preemptive sanctions, sending more anti-tank and anti-air weapons to ukraine, and cutting diplomatic ties one by one.

their dipshit plan succeeded, unfortunately

now a bunch of ukranians are gonna die so langley can brag about pwning their enemies. it’s gross and it didn’t have to play out this way

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

brugroffil posted:

I don't think Russia should get a veto on whether an independent country wants to join NATO.

calling ukraine an independent country, good grief, please educate yourself

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

dead gay comedy forums posted:

ahahahaha oh my god

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

brugroffil posted:

There were certainly dumb things NATO/western countries have done, and have had their own missteps. They don't justify a military invasion of another country or the demand to create new independent countries out of that country.

hey buddy I think you meant to be posting in GBS

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

tldr

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Did you all know that putin is bad and very right winged?

hosed up

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

MLSM posted:

So they should have waited until Ukraine joined a military alliance with nuclear weapons then ?

Maybe everyone loving sucks but right-wingers doing an imperialism is always bad

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

John Charity Spring posted:

it doesn't and no-one says it does

We must be reading different threads

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Terminal autist posted:

The other thread is wild just full on bloodlust that makes the coolzone at the peak of the protests look normal.

Yeah there are some posts that have pretty clearly crossed the line imo.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Fly Molo posted:

no but this is the end result of a long, open, and very concerted push by the US media, diplomats, and advisors to push Russia into doing exactly this. including preemptive sanctions, sending more anti-tank and anti-air weapons to ukraine, and cutting diplomatic ties one by one.

now a bunch of ukranians are gonna die so langley can brag about pwning their enemies. it’s gross and it didn’t have to play out this way

yeah, this whole thing loving sucks, and originates with the west's actions, but im not going to just think putin had no other choice. NATO was not going to invade Russia, MAD still exists.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Frosted Flake posted:

Yes it does - to prevent NATO ascension. The breakaways were the first, rushed attempted in 2014. Minsk II stalling risked the threat remaining, it had to be dealt with.

The military build up was part of trying to reach a diplomatic resolution. Do you think it’s like the West Wing when everybody appeals to Liberal virtues? No - mobilization and wargames are the diplomatic equivalent of “this is worth going to war for us, please negotiate”.

Zelensky gave them the finger over and over and over again.

I don't think "this country will join NATO" justifies Russian invasion and overthrow of their government. Ultimately force rules at the end of the day so it doesn't matter what's "justified" or not, but it was Putin's choice to invade.

I'm also not sure that there's good reason to believe that even full Minsk 2 and NS2 coming online would be enough. The rhetoric and demands from Putin over the last couple of weeks are way more expansive than that.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah, this whole thing loving sucks, and originates with the west's actions, but im not going to just think putin had no other choice. NATO was not going to invade Russia, MAD still exists.

Yeah this basically. There is plenty of room for criticism of the west's actions over the past decades, but this is not a "defensive" invasion by Russia and there's no justification for it.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i do not think anyone here does not think the west goaded russia into this by expanding nato and loving about in ukraine since euromaidan

there have been ton of posts basically saying that putin is only doing this because he is a deranged lunatic.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Good news! With raytheon's PeaceMaker™ Mk. V Guided Munitions Delivery System, you can!

Morbus
May 18, 2004

MLSM posted:

Appreciating the strategic encirclement and isolation of Russia by the west is important to understand the geopolitical basis of Russia's actions--as opposed to treating them like some inscrutable Mordor. It's possible to do that without, in an extremely stupid and misguided way, sympathizing with the Russian state as some kind of anti-imperialist or leftist influence in the world.

But, leftists are, as with everyone else, ~80% loving idiots, and live in a world they are fundamentally incapable of understanding, so here we are.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

HONK HONK

Fly Molo posted:

it isn’t super hard to denounce invading another country. Russia was not bound by the string of fate to invade, it was a choice by Putin.

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

I don’t think signing Minsk or anything would have made a difference long term. Putin made it pretty clear that he considers Ukrain's existence as a state to be a mistake in need of correction, and one of his advisors was saying back in December that they were going to be taking action this month.

The only two acceptable outcomes to Moscow are going to be annexation or a return to client state status (with likely some territorial concessions now). Even if a diplomatic outcome had been reached the Russians would have just shifted strategy to get the outcomes they found acceptable.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1496884388868595714

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

If your "I'm a Marxist and I hope Russians loving BLEEEEEEEEED" post keeps getting quoted by people saying "I'm not a Marxist, but I totally agree!" then maybe it's time for some self-reflection jfc