Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Omnicarus posted:

If the US invaded canada it would also be because of Poutine.

to support our allies, the curds?

(sorry, i'm sorry)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

libs doing the whole "Vote!" thing but with ukraine/russia really encapsualtes how loving broken they are

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Gresh posted:

went to bed 4 hours ago and just woke up

hows the war going? any solid data on troop advances/positions/casualties?

apparently they're gonna take kyiv soon

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Joementum posted:

to support our allies, the curds?

(sorry, i'm sorry)

And the MIL that's in on the gravy train

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

pissinthewind posted:

libs doing the whole "Vote!" thing but with ukraine/russia really encapsualtes how loving broken they are

they don't want to understand the world or why things happen they just want to be right online

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

gradenko_2000 posted:

If we take the liberal interventionist view that it is imperative to stop Putin, that indeed any price must be paid to stop him, because the long-run cost will amount to thousands if not millions more lives as he takes even more than just Ukraine...

... consider that Putin has probably made a similar calculation, of the long run cost of NOT doing this, of allowing NATO to set up shop next to Russia, and how much that is going to cost him, and calculated that the conflict now is going to cost less than the alternative

yeah like libs and neocons have been screeching for regime change in russia for like a decade now

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

If we take the liberal interventionist view that it is imperative to stop Putin, that indeed any price must be paid to stop him, because the long-run cost will amount to thousands if not millions more lives as he takes even more than just Ukraine...

... consider that Putin has probably made a similar calculation, of the long run cost of NOT doing this, of allowing NATO to set up shop next to Russia, and how much that is going to cost him, and calculated that the conflict now is going to cost less than the alternative

https://twitter.com/antontroian/status/1496892257638748163?s=20&t=qMr8i4n79jKBvkG7u9ox4g

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

the holy poopacy posted:

Presumably they're not looking to completely absorb Ukraine. They smash Ukraine's military, carve off a couple choice bits, stick in a puppet government, maybe leave a few "military advisors" around, and now they have a buffer state under their thumb (which is what they wanted in the first place.)

it's this imo

it's also inline with what Putin said in his war speech yesterday: a military operation to demilitarize and denazify Ukraine essentially means turning Ukraine into a neutered buffer state that can never have an anti-Russian government and can never threaten Russia militarily

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

truly, less countries around russia would desire to be a part of a mutual defense organization after this

whoopsie doodles

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

brugroffil posted:

Weird how many countries have joined NATO and yet there has never been an attack on Russia. I guess "immediate" means "may decide to turn aggressive at some indeterminate point in the future and invade a nuclear power for ???"

in 2008 NATO explicitly trained, financed and directed an attempted invasion of russia lol

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

i've been in work meetings all morning and am very late to this but what is the strategic value in capturing what is arguably the most blighted unusable land on the face of the earth

not a rhetorical question i think i'm just dumb, is putin really trying to get an "i'll demolish the sarcophagus and turn all of continental europe into an irradiated wasteland" ace up his sleeve?

e: or is it because he thinks ukraine/nato would do something stupid with it, which honestly is much more believable

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

vyelkin posted:

it's this imo

it's also inline with what Putin said in his war speech yesterday: a military operation to demilitarize and denazify Ukraine essentially means turning Ukraine into a neutered buffer state that can never have an anti-Russian government and can never threaten Russia militarily

so a second Belarus

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

pancake rabbit posted:

i've been in work meetings all morning and am very late to this but what is the strategic value in capturing what is arguably the most blighted unusable land on the face of the earth

not a rhetorical question i think i'm just dumb, is putin really trying to get an "i'll demolish the sarcophagus and turn all of continental europe into an irradiated wasteland" ace up his sleeve?

theres a highway nearby and bridges over the dniper

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
https://twitter.com/proetrie/status/1496634051775586310

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

pancake rabbit posted:

e: or is it because he thinks ukraine/nato would do something stupid with it, which honestly is much more believable

someone said there's an important bridge in the area so just river crossings

e: V it hasn't been a power generating plant for decades but maybe they still have important substations for transmission there. Cutting off critical infrastructure is important!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

pancake rabbit posted:

It's part of da grid

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Why are people freaking about this more than the war with Georgia? Isn't it basically the same thing but with a different country?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Why are people freaking about this more than the war with Georgia? Isn't it basically the same thing but with a different country?

ukranians are considered white while georgians arent

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Opioid posted:

if the concern is NATO on their borders, won’t they just create an issue once they take over Ukraine? would the next step be demanding Poland leave NATO because it poses a threat and they don’t want a bordering nation to be a NATO member?

when poland got invited the natsec ghouls were all saying ukraine was the buffer and russia should be happy with that

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

pancake rabbit posted:

I’m guessing the nuclear plant was built there because the city is in a good location to move things like power lines (or troops) to several major cities.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

I laughed at this more than I should have.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1496901934464180248?s=20&t=qMr8i4n79jKBvkG7u9ox4g

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

absolute hero

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Malleum posted:

in 2008 NATO explicitly trained, financed and directed an attempted invasion of russia lol

how dumb do you think they felt after not blowing up the one tunnel into georgia

pancake rabbit posted:

very direct road from russia to kyiv there

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Look, NATO's long history of never attacking Russia forces Moscow to pre-emptive self defense measures of invading their neighbors in the interest of peace.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

it's this imo

in a way this has some similarity to the Sino-Vietnamese War, where the goals are measured in political aims, not territorial gains

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Vernii posted:

Look, NATO's long history of never attacking Russia forces Moscow to pre-emptive self defense measures of invading their neighbors in the interest of peace.

:hmmyes:

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

if ur saying bad things about the people my guy said good things about it is you who are the alt-right maniacal laughter

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
https://twitter.com/pvermillions/status/1496133137319043082

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

truly, less countries around russia would desire to be a part of a mutual defense organization after this

honest question, which other countries do you think are going to join NATO after this?

This is NATO's current membership:

there are a whole three countries in Europe that border Russia and are not already members of NATO: Finland, the country that Russia wants its neighbours to emulate ("Finlandization" is a term that was used for one potential end state for Ukraine); Belarus, Russia's closest ally and client state; and Ukraine.

who else is going to join? Moldova, which already has part of the country occupied by Russia? Georgia, which already has part of the country occupied by Russia and which already lost a war to Russia over this in 2008? Armenia, a Russian ally that hates NATO member Turkey? NATO has made it clear that they're not going to support non-NATO members against Russia and they're not going to let in countries that have existing territorial disputes with Russia, and Russia has now made it clear that overtures to NATO can be catastrophic.

Russia isn't surrounded by some infinite number of foreign countries that will decide to join NATO after this. Ukraine is by far the biggest, strongest, and most populous of Russia's European neighbours. Given that NATO already covers almost the entire continent, it should be comprehensible why Russia wants to draw a line in the sand here - there isn't much more for them to lose on the issue of NATO expansion.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Suzerainty is back,

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

pancake rabbit posted:

it's a major electrical substation for Ukraine's electricity grid and it is right next to a big bridge on the highway to Kyiv

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
*slamming fist on keyboard* does putin not realize we are a global hegemony!

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

never mind there was an imminent threat go get 'em tiger

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
saw a ghoul earlier talking about russia invading the danzig corridor to connect with kaliningrad

they can’t help but frame this as a marvel movie - a plucky group of multi-billionaires just need to abuse the mentally ill to stop Vladimir Thanos

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

lmao

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
belching a mouth full of Cheetos while waiting for a raid in FF14

“PUTIN HAS GONE TOO FAR aGAINST THE WEST”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

vyelkin posted:

honest question, which other countries do you think are going to join NATO after this?

This is NATO's current membership:

there are a whole three countries in Europe that border Russia and are not already members of NATO: Finland, the country that Russia wants its neighbours to emulate ("Finlandization" is a term that was used for one potential end state for Ukraine); Belarus, Russia's closest ally and client state; and Ukraine.

who else is going to join? Moldova, which already has part of the country occupied by Russia? Georgia, which already has part of the country occupied by Russia and which already lost a war to Russia over this in 2008? Armenia, a Russian ally that hates NATO member Turkey? NATO has made it clear that they're not going to support non-NATO members against Russia and they're not going to let in countries that have existing territorial disputes with Russia, and Russia has now made it clear that overtures to NATO can be catastrophic.

Russia isn't surrounded by some infinite number of foreign countries that will decide to join NATO after this. Ukraine is by far the biggest, strongest, and most populous of Russia's European neighbours. Given that NATO already covers almost the entire continent, it should be comprehensible why Russia wants to draw a line in the sand here - there isn't much more for them to lose on the issue of NATO expansion.

and everybody advising Zelensky knew this and then encouraged him to terminate diplomatic talks anyways.