Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Groovelord Neato posted:

One of the accessibility experts blocked me when I asked if someone's memory is so shot they can't write stuff down how would they beat an enemy or boss without prompts for every attack. I wasn't even mean about it lmao

it really seems like "game accessibility" has really been hosed up from its original meaning of "compensate for things a given player might legitimately be incapable of doing" to "compensate for things a player is actually quite capable of doing, but they don' wannnaaaa"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cowcaster posted:

it really seems like "game accessibility" has really been hosed up from its original meaning of "compensate for things a player might legitimately be incapable of doing" to "compensate for things a player is actually quite capable of doing, but they don' wannnaaaa"

You know there's quite a big loving range of neurodiversity and physical needs right?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I played through Dark Souls on release on PS3 and survived Blighttown. I can handle a loving microstutter, just give me the game.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Is it possible to preload the day-1 patch? Are Steam's servers going to crash due to everyone trying to download at the exact same time?

Generally the day 1 patches are baked into the preload, that's why they don't open up preloads until the days before launch

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

stev posted:

You know there's quite a big loving range of neurodiversity and physical needs right?

and when those neurodiversity and physical needs render it impossible to "write things down yourself to keep track" do you think being able to play elden ring is the first priority in that situation

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

ymgve posted:

Generally the day 1 patches are baked into the preload, that's why they don't open up preloads until the days before launch

Ah, that's great if so. I know that the preload was available yesterday, but the patch notes weren't released until this AM, so thought it would be a seperate dl. Thankye

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
ooooohhh the discourse

i saw a thumbnail video of the faith guy with the extremely cool black cloak and now I'm thinking of betraying my typical dex ways for that amazing cloak

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I'm going all-in on int/faith I think.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kaddish posted:

I'm going all-in on int I think.

One of us. One of us.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
With the game about to release soon I want to take a second to thank all fellow hollowed itt for making the hypetrain the ride it's been. See all ye tarnished in the lands between, stutter or no. Stay safe and pour an estus out for fromsoft fans out there in the real world who have other things to worry about right now due to loving autocrats, warmongers and fascists. gently caress em.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Elden Ring is 50 fps literally unplayable 0/10 game of the year

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Everyone playing early please report back on how fun magic and/or miracles are this time around

At least one review suggested that (gameplay balance stuff, is this a spoiler???) miracles actually kinda suck except for the good ones from the network test but he also didn't talk about non-attack spells and whether buffs/heals/utility spells are good

acksplode
May 17, 2004

stev posted:

Yeah there's a huge range. I have a developmentally disabled gamer in my life who is relatively high functioning but can't read or do math and has bad reflexes. I have to help him with all sorts of games that never seem to get the difficulty discourse. Funny how that works.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

it really seems like "game accessibility" has really been hosed up from its original meaning of "compensate for things a given player might legitimately be incapable of doing" to "compensate for things a player is actually quite capable of doing, but they don' wannnaaaa"

As a person with legally-protected memory-related and vision disabilities (and also me saying this does not nullify the opinions of anyone on the contrary side of this discussion bc I realize everyone's abilities and preferences are different), I've always been curious about something related to this; none of the quests are required to complete the game, they're all optional. At what point does the expectation of accessibility stop? Do people expect accessibility options to reach every possible bit of optional content in games?

Like, I almost always miss the quests. Sometimes I stumble across them after playing the game for 100+ hours and that's a very nice surprise. I never feel like I'm missing out on the game by missing the quests - I can watch a video or follow a guide if I really want to experience them. I wouldn't want a quest log myself but using accessibility as a reason for wanting a quest log seems silly to me because the quests are effectively just easter eggs that a toooooon of players will never find, regardless of their ability, and that's kind of the point of their design.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 24, 2022

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

games have morphed into work... literally just checklists of busywork bullshit. so people are confused when games come out that are actually games (you just freely play with them however you want) and don't attempt to emulate work

judging by how many people play souls games by ticking through a walkthrough, it seems some people really do want this

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Harrow posted:

Everyone playing early please report back on how fun magic and/or miracles are this time around

At least one review suggested that (gameplay balance stuff, is this a spoiler???) miracles actually kinda suck except for the good ones from the network test but he also didn't talk about non-attack spells and whether buffs/heals/utility spells are good

all you need is SWORD

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
i don't think i've ever finished a quest in a souls game and wouldn't even know they existed without outside sources

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I don't see how the game would be hurt by having a way to track quests. Doesn't need to be on the UI or visible all the time, but having it as an optional thing you can access. Like how you can choose to never use the map. So like, why not? If it helps more people get into and experience the game than might not otherwise then that's a good thing. Some people like games that force them to use a guide to experience all the content, some people don't. It's not going to make or break the game either way but it's not exactly an evil or unreasonable ask, people enjoy games differently

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think a big reason that From Software games end up at the center of this game difficulty debate is because of how mainstream they've (somehow) become. These are weird games and a lot of the games in which they're weird make them difficult for some people to wrap their heads around, often for reasons that have nothing to do with disability or accessibility needs. These are games that are very much Not For Everyone that have gotten so big that it looks like they're supposed to be For Everyone.

I've brought up SaGa Frontier in this context before, but that's a weird-rear end game with obscure quests, weird mechanics, and all sorts of rough edges that make it the wonderful little gem that it is. But it's also small, relatively unknown, and easy for someone to look at and go, "ah, this is Not For Me, and that's okay." From Software games are big, beautiful, and mainstream enough to be part of popular gaming discourse, and so people expect them to be For Everyone, and get frustrated when it turns out they aren't.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zeron posted:

I don't see how the game would be hurt by having a way to track quests. Doesn't need to be on the UI or visible all the time, but having it as an optional thing you can access. Like how you can choose to never use the map. So like, why not? If it helps more people get into and experience the game than might not otherwise then that's a good thing. Some people like games that force them to use a guide to experience all the content, some people don't. It's not going to make or break the game either way but it's not exactly an evil or unreasonable ask, people enjoy games differently

If Elden Ring's quests are anything like Souls quests, even an in-game tracker probably wouldn't help you "experience all the content." They probably have a bunch of obscure little triggers and fail states and bad endings you can end up in because you killed Boss A before Boss Q and didn't know it would progress quests in some invisible way.

If anything I bet having a quest tracker would make them more frustrating because it would imply that you're expected to complete all the quests, when, in all likelihood, you're not really expected to even find many of them on a first blind playthrough.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Quest talk derailing the hype train

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zeron posted:

for some reason i feel like the souls series isn't really hurting for getting more people into it and experiencing them considering they've permanently altered a decades worth of videogame zeitgeist with their popularity

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Zeron posted:

It has potential to harm the game early on around launch time. A big part of this series for many of its players is the community side of things right around launch - rumors, mystery, intrigue, people trying weird things and finding out 'holy poo poo the world reacts to that'. The lack of information leading players to compare notes and work together to try and find new things is one of the raddest parts of the game. And yeah it would be possible to develop a quest log that spoils as little as possible and obfuscates facts and things like that, but either way the quest log is still taking a lot of the nebulous mystery of the game's NPCs and crystallizing it in a verifiable thing, whether you as a single player were using it or not.

Kind of like how MMOs were infinitely more fun before everyone just datamined and knew everything about them, being completely lost in an alien environment is a part of oldschool game design that barely exists these days and at least for me, that exact kind of oldschool game design and lack of assisting tools is exactly what draws me to this game. Asking for a quest log, even if it's optional, is misunderstanding the series. Yeah it would give it wider reach and let it reach new audiences, but it would be a step away from what makes these games special.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

have you considered that making your soulsgame more like skyrim, it would be as popular as skyrim?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cowcaster posted:

There's a specific flavor of terminally online white cishet person who can't participate in any argument without first coming up with a (possibly imaginary) token minority so they can align their personal bullshit with some progresive cause.

See also insane kpop teenagers who claim that criticizing their favorite star for making a bad song or saying a homophobic slur or w/e is anti-asian racism.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
my opinion on accessibility is that all (single player) games should have accessibility focused cheat engine menu

discourse is bad tho and i want to it to stop

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Zeron posted:

Something like RDR2's journal might be a good compromise, like a diegetic little book that adds a page with "met a weird little hosed up man in a cave today" whenever you stumble across something like that, maybe you get a little sketch to go along with it.

Then you can flip through the book 70 hours later and suddenly remember about the weird dude in the cave and you go back there and he's dead and then you have to look up how to do the quest online anyway.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Mr. Funktastic posted:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1496865957255553031?t=1BopYQrPnztMBGcDF9MdTg&s=19

Well that's unfortunate, hopefully it gets resolved soon. Might be content with waiting a little while for From to work out the kinks if it's really that bad. Seems to be a common issue with most games on DX12 these days.

i bet no one is gonna notice this poo poo just like no one noticed any, ahem "frame pacing" (word that isnt real) issues in bloodborne until DF poisoned people.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Zeron posted:

them mfers can go play another game, then. there's plenty of products for them to consume that have little laundry lists for them to work through, let us have our one bigger developer that makes more interesting poo poo

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

and when those neurodiversity and physical needs render it impossible to "write things down yourself to keep track" do you think being able to play elden ring is the first priority in that situation

Oh is neurodiversity the new safe word for moron?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Most side quests don’t even matter in From games

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Something like RDR2's journal might be a good compromise, like a diegetic little book that adds a page with "met a weird little hosed up man in a cave today" whenever you stumble across something like that, maybe you get a little sketch to go along with it.

Then you can flip through the book 70 hours later and suddenly remember about the weird dude in the cave and you go back there and he's dead and then you have to look up how to do the quest online anyway.

:hmmyes: This would be a rad compromise.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

For my closing statement I will say that asking for an actual skyrim-style quest log in Elden Ring (idk if anyone is doing that) would be like asking for an edited version of a horror movie that has all the scary scenes cut out :colbert:

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
someone explain to me what a quest journal for meeting kaathe in ds1 would look like, lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Willfrey posted:

Oh is neurodiversity the new safe word for moron?

it's a word that means something but is often abused to mean something else

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Vikar Jerome posted:

i bet no one is gonna notice this poo poo just like no one noticed any, ahem "frame pacing" (word that isnt real) issues in bloodborne until DF poisoned people.

I absolutely noticed and I have no idea what DF is lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

For my closing statement I will say that asking for an actual skyrim-style quest log in Elden Ring (idk if anyone is doing that) would be like asking for an edited version of a horror movie that has all the scary scenes cut out :colbert:

i think a closer comparison would be a netflix horror film with an optional checkbox that enables a warning icon at the top of the screen that tells you whenever a jump scare is about to happen

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I mean it was noticeable on Cohhs stream when it was freezing and causing deaths, even through a restart of the game. So I don't think nobody will notice.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I'm gonna notice because I'm not a moron and I can notice things when they happen in front of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

grieving for Gandalf posted:

them mfers can go play another game, then. there's plenty of products for them to consume that have little laundry lists for them to work through, let us have our one bigger developer that makes more interesting poo poo

This is what I don’t get about the complainers - just don’t play it. I pretty much only play FromSoft games when it comes to single player stuff because I like the way they do things. Those folks have every other developer doing what they like and Horizon 2 just came out.