Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The swing revival was just the version of the ska revival for people too cowardly to embrace ska.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

the swing revival was awesome and you are all cowards.

seriously, it was stupid and fun

CarlCX posted:

The swing revival was just the version of the ska revival for people too cowardly to embrace ska.

some of us did both

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The weird thing for me was finding out about the historical implications of the term "Zoot Suit Riot".

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

P. Dangerous to hug a skanking man

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The weird thing for me was finding out about the historical implications of the term "Zoot Suit Riot".

I mean it was indicative of how backwards the whole movement was

I don't think the kings of swing imagined lily-white assholes invoking race riots as a hook

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bryan being corrected that Friars started in the 4th Century and screaming,"BUT THEY WERE AT THEIR PEAK IN THE 11TH CENTURY!" :allears:

StarkRavingMad posted:

If you were old enough to be listening to music in the late 90's in America, you couldn't really escape Zoot Suit Riot

(throw back a bottle of beer)

Hey, stop combing through my coal-black hair :mad:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

everyone should read The Big Nowhere which is the book before LA Confidential and is a better book.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

absolutely not

CarlCX posted:

lets face it was a good album. the dirty boogie was not.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Swing revival missed me but I was in ska country, where ska never really let go, and would not let no big band into its lands.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Welcome to the devil’s page post your favorite satanic wrestle tweets

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Welcome to the devil’s page post your favorite satanic wrestle tweets

https://twitter.com/RealMickFoley/status/1495270656753246208?cxt=HHwWgIC9ra6vosApAAAA

The vile Mankind, seen here with a witch (Satan's common-law wives).

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
i got around to listening to Meltzer running down the awards and his sheer disbelief that WWE won worst promotion over CMLL is funny

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Lid posted:

i got around to listening to Meltzer running down the awards and his sheer disbelief that WWE won worst promotion over CMLL is funny

That'd involve people having to watch CMLL so it makes sense to me

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Drakkel posted:

That'd involve people having to watch CMLL so it makes sense to me

that was part of his point, one of the biggest promotions in history and its just dead because of poor decisions and stupidity to the point no one cares

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lid posted:

that was part of his point, one of the biggest promotions in history and its just dead because of poor decisions and stupidity to the point no one cares

Sorry are you talking about WWE or CMLL cos I don't watch either

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
yes

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

In theory it was great, but it was too mixed with sleaze, irony and whiteness. As an Australian somewhat in the Lindy Hop scene, bugger-all of it is still played now; people prefer the classics (I am guessing the American scene would be the same).

(related - dancing to songs with just bizarre lyrical themes that lindy hop has is a blast)

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Wazzu posted:

In theory it was great, but it was too mixed with sleaze, irony and whiteness. As an Australian somewhat in the Lindy Hop scene, bugger-all of it is still played now; people prefer the classics (I am guessing the American scene would be the same).

(related - dancing to songs with just bizarre lyrical themes that lindy hop has is a blast)

I have a old roommate who still does swing dancing or whatever the hell it's called now and yeah it's basically all poo poo that came out in our grandparent's day

Now I'll stop ruining the wrestling podcasts thread with posts about this

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Alaois posted:

I think Johnny is around my age and Pulse is a few years younger and I absolutely did not remember the Cherry Poppin' Daddies and Zoot Suit Riot from my childhood, it was something I discovered and laughed at much later.

Tony was in his mid 40s at the time so it makes sense he'd remember
That or not really knowing Issac Hayes, but honestly that's kind of more forgivable since he is mostly known as Chef

Will say having recorded 4 episodes of a mostly AEW podcast I can see why Deadlock dropped Rampage reviews because my cohosts were all kind of blah on it's importance; I'm in the minority though, but probably going to drop it as well.

Also speaking of recording the podcast and lol that zencaster ended early in the middle of the Dynamite review (we were just talking about Kingston and Jericho) so going to be fun Frankensteining two recordings
Also our guest came in just as we started the Dynamite review so we got to have someone do a run in for our podcast lol (which was fine since he watched Dynamite with us on Zoom but had to drive out afterwards so came in 40 mins in our recording out of nowhere) Any leftists are allowed on the zoom call btw and if you want to just guest on the pod afterward that's fine too lol

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm guessing Bryan got today's Wordle in one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm imagining Dave explaining Wordle

So you, um, you *cough* you have to guess a word right? But it's a different, um, word every day. They're always just you know five letters. Like yesterday *shuffles papers* was DROVE and um the day before that was *cough* COUGH.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dave hasn’t been coughing since he incubated the Meltzer variant back in 2020. Listen to the product!!!

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Edward Mass posted:

I'm guessing Bryan got today's Wordle in one.

Furious at you that I read this and tried to get it in one how does this clue not mean geeks

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

0konner posted:

Furious at you that I read this and tried to get it in one how does this clue not mean geeks

Do plural words work in Wordle? That seems like cheating.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
new vacation hair dropped

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dave hasn’t been coughing since he incubated the Meltzer variant back in 2020. Listen to the product!!!

God no

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/SaifQuadri/status/1496964297574043649

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Still the king

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Page 666 hail Satan scoop slam non subscribers

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo, Dave :lol:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Still the king

MediaPlayerClassic
Aug 24, 2012
TATUM

PAXLEY

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

It got me laid a few times but so did other poor life choices.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

lmfao

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Be warned (or excited I guess if you like it) that Sempervive has another one of his constantly talking over Bryan and losing his breath as he tries desperately to score a point on him but seems to have forgotten what his point actually was tirades today on WOL.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I don't really mind semp most of the time but every now and then his tirade turns into a high school student trying to make word count for an essay that's two sentences long

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

I drove my wife crazy last week cause I couldn't stop saying this stupid fake name.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Be warned that Sempervive is on WOL.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Based Semp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

JT Smiley posted:

I drove my wife crazy last week cause I couldn't stop saying this stupid fake name.

I want to see someone play a game of NXT Wrestler or Failed Cleveland Browns Quarterback.