Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

How are u posted:

I think that's on you for assuming I desire to collectively punish the Russian people. I'm not a cyber-expert by any means, but I imagine there are a wide variety of options that can put the hurt on Putin, his cronies, and his government's ability to effectively prosecute this imperial war of aggression and expansion that also won't cause the Russian people to freeze to death.

Do you think that would be likely to remain contained and not lead to blowback against innocents in both countries? Like the US could also launch missiles at only the Russian elites but I suspect it wouldn't end there, so why would launching cyber attacks against them end there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Please don't argue with someone claiming Russia doesn't sponsor cyber attacks ITT. It's a waste of energy and typing calories.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Majorian posted:

Better make it more than a memo this time; Budapest I wasn't legally binding in any way. Make it a treaty. (or at least something that's a treaty in all but name, if Congress won't ratify)

Ohhh I see you want the EXTRA pretty paper, you got it boss. And maybe one of them long pens with a bird feather on it to make sure everyone knows you're super serious this time.

Anyone who's anyone knows that the way to defeat Russia is to mobilize GoonSwarm and crush them in EVE.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pook Good Mook posted:

Literally the first sentence: "Researchers say more than $400 million worth of crypto-currency payments went to groups "highly likely to be affiliated with Russia"."

my man read the rest of the article

quote:

Analysts say they know which hacking groups are Russian because they display various characteristics, for example:

Their ransomware code is written to prevent it from damaging files if it detects the victim's computers are located in Russia or a CIS country
The gang operates in Russian on Russian-speaking forums
The gang is linked to Evil Corp - an alleged cyber-crime group wanted by the US
The research is further evidence that many cyber-criminal groups operate either in Russia or in the surrounding Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) - an intergovernmental organization of Russian-speaking, former Soviet countries.

However, the report only looks at the flow of money to cyber-criminal gang leaders, and many run affiliate operations - essentially renting out the tools needed to launch attacks to others - so it's not known where the individual hackers who work for the big gangs are from.

The headline and opening sentence suggest a link, but nothing in the body of the article backs that up. Just that the criminals are Russian

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Dante80 posted:

Since when, did the Cypriots actually listen to us?

And rightfully so!..if you know the history.

They do look up to you in spite of everything (and yes, I know what you're referring to).
On this topic the rightfully so would also be in your ballpark mostly because they'd be disgusting hypocrites to abet someone 1974ing Ukraine.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sinteres posted:

Do you think that would be likely to remain contained and not lead to blowback against innocents in both countries?

It could, but that's a risk that I as an American am willing to take. The easy thing to do is say "it's Putin's business, we want nothing to do with it". The hard thing to do is be willing to accept some pain yourself to try to aid your fellow man desiring democracy and freedom on the other side of the globe.

I'll gladly suffer a little bit as part of the cause of trying to help Ukraine.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kaddish posted:

Please don't argue with someone claiming Russia doesn't sponsor cyber attacks ITT. It's a waste of energy and typing calories.

If it's so self evident it should be easy to cite a credible source.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Charliegrs posted:

This really sounds like something they should do in retaliation for a Russian cyber attack on the US. If we do it first well... I hope everyone likes living without electricity for god knows how long.

I just got an "urgent" email from work listing steps to take in order to protect our systems/personal laptops/etc from Russian cyber attacks. It's mostly boiler plate stuff, but there are some suggestions like "make a system copy now or take critical infrastructure offline for the time being to ensure it is secure before reconnecting it", which seems out of place. Supposedly this is based on a message sent out from CISA towards tech companies, industries, etc warning about their expectations for attacks.

So it seems that the Government is taking the posture to expect attacks soon anyway (above what is usually encountered) at least from an abundance of precaution.

Not sure if there's anything to read from these tea leaves.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what

Gripweed posted:

I'm going off the linked article, which says they're just done by criminals in Russia.

All you have to do is google 'russia state hackers' or something similar. It shouldn't be difficult, even for you.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You're right, but if you review his war declaration speech, he self-assuredly says that the professional Russian military will effortlessly execute the mission, and that the threat to the homeland is unimaginable. From that perspective, I am inclined to interpret a freestanding peace offer from the Kremlin as an admission of a problem, and so I'm trying to think if I can come up with alternative explanations to why we're hearing about it.

Without knowing exactly what the Russians intended in the first place and just how much trouble the Ukranian regulars have given the Russians, that is impossible speculate on. Here is an equally plausible explanation:

Russia conducts 24 hours of 'shock and awe' operations to debilitate Ukrainian military C&C and to slow down any further weapons shipments. An offer is made to Kyiv in which the Putin shows he really loving means business this time. Full scale occupation and regime change against a hostile population is kind of hard and expensive so you give them an out and everyone saves face and gets some of what they want (ie nominal Ukrainian Independence, EU gets to keep its gas, Putin doesn't need to tie down his entire conventional army with occupation duties)

If the offer is rejected, phase 2 of the operation commences and it is tanks to the Dniepr line and we see if the Ukrainians are willing to risk everything on a NATO dream that is already dead.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

The thing that always struck me about cyberattacks on infrastructure is, why is critical infrastructure even connected to the internet? Like most power stations have been around for decades, presumably they were able to operate just fine without an internet connection in the past, what advantage was there in hooking them up? Id have thought most govts would mandate no public network connections for critical infrastructure given how obviously vulnerable it makes them.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I think it's safe to say that the sanction negotiations are failing since it's taking Biden this long to start his speech.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Flagellum posted:

All you have to do is google 'russia state hackers' or something similar. It's shouldn't be difficult, even for you.

I wasn't the one who made the claim.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Gripweed posted:

If it's so self evident it should be easy to cite a credible source.

https://fortune.com/2021/10/07/microsoft-russia-is-behind-58-percent-of-detected-state-sponsored-hacks-cybersecurity/

As a leftist and someone who works in infosec who really hates the "russia hacked 2016 elections" narrative, please stop this, just google.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kaddish posted:

With regards to the airport, all we know is that the Russian troops are being described as airborne. We don't actually know what the means with regards to training and capability. There is a pretty large range in the US military with airborne troops from good to absolutely cream of the crop. No idea about Russia.

the VDV are the elite russian military formation, they're exactly the guys you would give a mission like this to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Airborne_Forces

now while they are trained for airborne (helicopterborne) operations, they also just work in general as really highly trained infantry. russia held on to the cult of paratroopers longer than most and so "paratrooper" is synonymous with "highly trained" in the russian army

if you're going do so something as reckless as seize an airfield in the enemy rear in the hopes that you can get more troops on the ground through that entry point, these guys are going to be there

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Letting dictators commit crimes against humanity and then duck behind their own people to avoid retribution is morally untenable because they will continue to commit crimes. At some point you have to stand up to them and accept that responsibilty for the suffing that flows from that all stems back to their initial actions.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Random Integer posted:

The thing that always struck me about cyberattacks on infrastructure is, why is critical infrastructure even connected to the internet? Like most power stations have been around for decades, presumably they were able to operate just fine without an internet connection in the past, what advantage was there in hooking them up? Id have thought most govts would mandate no public network connections for critical infrastructure given how obviously vulnerable it makes them.

It's cheaper to run things remotely than to have workers on-site to run it 24/7. Infrastructure is run on a shoestring, and security is an expensive non-priority.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Majorian posted:

Better make it more than a memo this time; Budapest I wasn't legally binding in any way. Make it a treaty. (or at least something that's a treaty in all but name, if Congress won't ratify)

I'm sure that'll work, after all it's only been *checks notes* 0 days since Russia last broke a treaty it signed.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the VDV are the elite russian military formation, they're exactly the guys you would give a mission like this to

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Airborne_Forces

now while they are trained for airborne (helicopterborne) operations, they also just work in general as really highly trained infantry. russia held on to the cult of paratroopers longer than most and so "paratrooper" is synonymous with "highly trained" in the russian army

if you're going do so something as reckless as seize an airfield in the enemy rear in the hopes that you can get more troops on the ground through that entry point, these guys are going to be there

Yeah ok, it sounds like they're something more like our 75th Rangers so pretty elite.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

BoldFace posted:

I think it's safe to say that the sanction negotiations are failing since it's taking Biden this long to start his speech.

I took the releases indicating that Germany and Italy chickened out on SWIFT closures about 2 hours ago to be indicative of that being Biden's preferred course.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Letting dictators commit crimes against humanity and then duck behind their own people to avoid retribution is morally untenable because they will continue to commit crimes. At some point you have to stand up to them and accept that responsibilty for the suffing that flows from that all stems back to their initial actions.

It's pretty convenient when an adversary's actions are all assumed to have sprung fully formed from the ether with no way to avoid them but our own regrettable actions are fully the responsibility of our adversary.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Gripweed posted:

Much like you were just asking questions when agitating against the US sending Ukraine any aid and calling Ukraine nazis.

Gripweed posted:

That would certainly be better. But it would still be the US escalating a foreign war. I would still be opposed.

I point out the Azov Battalion specifically because it makes my argument stronger when we're talking about literal nazi war criminals. And it weakens the argument that we should be helping Ukraine because Russia is bad morally. But in truth I don't think America should be providing military aid to basically anybody.

Not in such words, but yeah we shouldn't be giving them weapons.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what

Gripweed posted:

It's a common knowledge. You can't seriously expect others to present evidence just for you every time for most basic things.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
A silver lining to the conflict, at least so far from what I can tell, is that Russia does seem to be trying to keep this to a more limited, conventional war. If this was utterly cut throat then the initial strikes would have included power plants and infrastructure, which also probably means Russia has no interest or need with pushing into residential or urban areas given the goal is just to cow Ukraine's military into surrendering to Putin's constantly shifting demands. There sure as hell is no such thing as a clean war and civilians are definitely dying, but it doesn't seem to be the intent.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Thom12255 posted:

https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1496904933014216711

Just sounds like a PR attempt than a serious offer of negotiation.

Maybe Nato should send troops to secure western Ukraine, also western part of Kyiv. Divide it into US, British and French sectors maybe.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Jiro posted:

Ohhh I see you want the EXTRA pretty paper, you got it boss. And maybe one of them long pens with a bird feather on it to make sure everyone knows you're super serious this time.

Anyone who's anyone knows that the way to defeat Russia is to mobilize GoonSwarm and crush them in EVE.

Are you suggesting that a treaty would be less effective in guaranteeing a country's neutrality than a non-binding memorandum? Because a treaty has kept Finland neutral for the better part of a century.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm sure that'll work, after all it's only been *checks notes* 0 days since Russia last broke a treaty it signed.

What treaty? Budapest wasn't a treaty.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msqsdNfHjDY

Navalny Live

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Where's that guy that nailed his balls to the Red Square when you need him?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Kaddish posted:

Yeah ok, it sounds like they're something more like our 75th Rangers so pretty elite.

These guys aren't just VDV, it's the 31st Assault Guard, literally the "little green men" from Crimea. This is probably the best Russian light infantry, and they're facing Ukrainian national guard trying to attack them without any air cover.

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1496904904551587843?s=20&t=p1BokKtY-eNeCXBZ_Oqgag

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Running into quite a few people who seem to be under the impression that Russia has entered Ukraine to bravely fight the immense nazi forces of the azov batallion.

Propaganda sure works.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

How are u posted:

It could, but that's a risk that I as an American am willing to take. The easy thing to do is say "it's Putin's business, we want nothing to do with it". The hard thing to do is be willing to accept some pain yourself to try to aid your fellow man desiring democracy and freedom on the other side of the globe.

I'll gladly suffer a little bit as part of the cause of trying to help Ukraine.

For what it's worth, I don't think that the US should perform any cyber attacks unless they've got a productive end goal in mind. There's already a fair amount of dissension in Russia over this, and European politicians seem to be unifying in their opposition to the Russian invasion, and so for practical purposes I would be hesitant about changing that dynamic without a very good reason. And I say that as someone who probably feels quite similarly as you do about the importance of confronting Russian authoritarianism in spite of the challenges of doing so. Putin's vulnerability is economic stagnation and political isolation, and that's what should be the target of American foreign policy.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 24, 2022

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1496914987062906886?s=20&t=878l1ScuopYWHri2TPmqOg

Another development on the cyberwarfare front.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Jaxyon posted:

Running into quite a few people who seem to be under the impression that Russia has entered Ukraine to bravely fight the immense nazi forces of the azov batallion.

Propaganda sure works.

Where are you generally located?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

MrYenko posted:

Banning Aeroflot from landing in the UK, or banning Aeroflot from UK airspace?

https://twitter.com/petemuntean/status/1496914103205613572

https://twitter.com/thatjohn/status/1496906915133411329

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
https://twitter.com/antontroian/status/1496892255805878280

...yyyyup, the oligarchs aren't happy. I've watched Russia for a long time and I haven't seen anything like this since the early 00s.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Majorian posted:

What treaty? Budapest wasn't a treaty.

That'd be the Geneva Conventions. The day before Russia also broke the Minsk agreement by recognizing Donetsk/Luhansk as indepedent republics. The overall point is that pieces of paper are useless if one of the parties has no intention of being bound by them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

FishBulbia posted:

These guys aren't just VDV, it's the 31st Assault Guard, literally the "little green men" from Crimea. This is probably the best Russian light infantry, and they're facing Ukrainian national guard trying to attack them without any air cover.

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1496904904551587843?s=20&t=p1BokKtY-eNeCXBZ_Oqgag

Apparently a friend of my mother's is near Hostomel and they've been hearing gunfightimg all day :(

Brexit... Good??

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

Jaxyon posted:

Propaganda sure works.

Only the most terminally online broke brains have said this. In actual real life everyone I have talked to, which is across the country, thinks Russia is the aggressor. While both are anecdotal, it’s clear Russia is using its propaganda machine.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Happy faces

https://twitter.com/Alexey__Kovalev/status/1496890642689150978?t=-wug8UgcOJDhQGNAYUdY9Q&s=19

German Gref, owner of Sberbank (third photo), looks like Cryptkeeper today holy crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Majorian posted:

https://twitter.com/antontroian/status/1496892255805878280

...yyyyup, the oligarchs aren't happy. I've watched Russia for a long time and I haven't seen anything like this since the early 00s.

I think this is our only hope. Both for Ukrainians and the Russian people. Nothing the west can do can stop this, all we can hope for is a palace coup and one thing Oligarchs don't like it's seeing their bottom line disappear.