Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Goddammit, I bought the game and am going to play it. :negative:

I wonder if KBM will be good enough or if I'll need to break out the DS4.

I've played every single Souls game with a PC port on KB+M and it's worked just dandy. If you're comfortable with the kind of keyboard piano you need to play something like an MMO, then ER shouldn't be much of a step up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

JUNGLE BOY posted:

been out on xbox since 6am ET if you tell your xbox you're a kiwi

Is it too late to do this on my Sony Playstation Four

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

sigher posted:

If someone wanted to play the game like this... let them?

NO!

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

sigher posted:

lmao

you can't, that's not a real screenshot of Bloodborne

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

I've played every single Souls game with a PC port on KB+M and it's worked just dandy. If you're comfortable with the kind of keyboard piano you need to play something like an MMO, then ER shouldn't be much of a step up.

Bow-only player spotted

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
This thread is reminding me of 2004 video game discourse so at least it’s nostalgic.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 days!)

is the patch big? steam doesn't have it available to pre-download that i can see.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

This thread is reminding me of 2004 video game discourse so at least it’s nostalgic.

Hey buddy. You lookin forward to Elden Ring?

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Vikar Jerome posted:

i bet no one is gonna notice this poo poo just like no one noticed any, ahem "frame pacing" (word that isnt real) issues in bloodborne until DF poisoned people.

Frame pacing is real.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

acksplode posted:

Hey buddy. You lookin forward to Elden Ring?

Yeah it looks pretty cool, shame about the no logs thing, I will have to wait for nerds online to do it for them

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yma9dJRAlo4

Evidently the day-1 patch actually caused issues, maybe what we saw in cohhs stream. This on PC.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah it looks pretty cool, shame about the no logs thing, I will have to wait for nerds online to do it for them

I'm gonna play it at launch and figure stuff out on my own but hey! You do you. It'll be a fun game no matter when and how you play it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I forgot you guys are yanks and still cant play yet... my previous posts must've been non sequitors.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cowcaster posted:

if someone wanted to play the game like this...

Let them do what they want? You're going to have people cheating through the game with trainers and mods within a week, why do you give such a gently caress how people enjoy their entertainment?

Vermain posted:

I remember Sekiro coming with huge "You can play on Keyboard and mouse, but it's strongly recommended you use a controller" message. I tried it but it felt... off for me, I didn't play the Dark Souls titles so I don't know if they were better for keyboard. Did you ever feel like one control style was better than the other for certain things? I've always loved using the mouse for a camera, but with Souls games being so lock-on heavy it didn't feel like I needed the precision of mouse camera.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Pollyanna posted:

Goddammit, I bought the game and am going to play it. :negative:

i;m sorry for ur loss

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sigher posted:

Let them do what they want? You're going to have people cheating through the game with trainers and mods within a week, why do you give such a gently caress how people enjoy their entertainment?

well then they should mod in some waypoints and a questlog then lmao

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I got a log for ya :a2m:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah I thought we were talking about stuff Fromsoft puts into the game themselves. If we're talking about modding then go hog wild. Hell that'll be my new canned response, if you want something to make the game easier then you're free to buy the game on PC and mod it in. Go nuts.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

acksplode posted:

I'm gonna play it at launch and figure stuff out on my own but hey! You do you. It'll be a fun game no matter when and how you play it.

I mean if it’s like any of the other NPC quests I don’t think I could. From loves having rather tight triggers for NPC quests (or at least one tight window) and I would never trigger that on my own

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
elden ring

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

sigher posted:

If someone doesn't want to develop their game like this.... let them?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Four more hours.

I'll see you fuckers in the lands between

sigher posted:

I remember Sekiro coming with huge "You can play on Keyboard and mouse, but it's strongly recommended you use a controller" message. I tried it but it felt... off for me, I didn't play the Dark Souls titles so I don't know if they were better for keyboard. Did you ever feel like one control style was better than the other for certain things? I've always loved using the mouse for a camera, but with Souls games being so lock-on heavy it didn't feel like I needed the precision of mouse camera.

Personally I don't like the attack/defense buttons on L/R, if it weren't for strats with rolling I'd probably be a KBM boy myself.

If you hate yourself (and I imagine everyone here does) you can do a frankencontrol scheme; hold a controller in you left hand for full movement, hold a mouse in your right for full camera control. Did this nonsense for my second playthrough of sekiro :v:. Deflecting was a lot easier for me on a mouse button at least

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean if it’s like any of the other NPC quests I don’t think I could. From loves having rather tight triggers for NPC quests (or at least one tight window) and I would never trigger that on my own

I fully anticipate missing most NPC quests, and maybe failing to complete any, on my first run. I enjoy figuring them out and I love what their mystery contributes to the feel of the game's world. It feels like these characters are on their own quest that has nothing to do with mine, which helps breathe life into them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kaddish posted:

Evidently the day-1 patch actually caused issues, maybe what we saw in cohhs stream. This on PC.

rip the dream is dead

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

.Ataraxia. posted:

If someone doesn't want to develop their game like this.... let them?

p much

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
missing NPC quests and other content is good because it means you get to play the game again

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i have to admit i cannot read "the lands between" without hearing it in a dave matthews voice

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Willfrey posted:

if you are bored, don't mind early spoilers, and just want to quickly unlock all base features of the game (like enabling weapon arts, spirit ash, etc) Fextralife had a good little early start guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msQdm8ZtDIE

oh drat if you are fighting on HORSE equip load doesnt matter

General tips I picked up, filtering out all of the general souls-series tips:

The following key items can be found right at the start of the game, don't go past the 3rd bonfire without them:
The horse
Whetstone Knife allowing you to use weapon arts
Torch, Crafting Kit, Telescope (from a merchant)

Return to the first few campfires after you make "some progress" and try resting at them. This unlocks the ability to summon NPC spirits

You can get an early 100% physical block shield from the guards in the early ruins as a random drop

Thanks to the open world you can cheese a lot of fights by backstabbing an enemy, running until it drops aggro, then returning to backstab them again (hey it's Sekiro!)

Equip weight doesn't matter on horse so you can min/max powergame by equipping your heaviest armor when mounting up

Buy Stonesward Key whenever you see it, it's the equivalent of DS2's stones of pharros

Catacombs contain (loot type spoilers) Spirit Ashes and Spirit Ash upgrade materials
Caves and Mines contain (loot types) special equipment and ore for upgrading gear
Towers contain magic and equipment for mages as well as spell attunement slots

Collect every gesture you see because some puzzles require them

The phrase "something guides the way" means there is an invisible platform nearby

Militia Camps, Forts, etc - everything you see, contains good loot, so don't just ride past everything. But also feel free to bypass everything you can't handle yet and come back later.

you can't respec until after a late-game boss and this video recommends focusing your stats and NOT going for a quality build but :shrug: I'm still going for a quality build

Upgrade materials are not rare

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 24, 2022

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

missing NPC quests and other content is good because it means you get to play the game again

Yeah I've always seen completing NPC quests as a NG+ thing.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kaddish posted:

GAME BAD AAAAAAAAAAAAAA :derp:

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Kaddish posted:

Lol at youtubers. Elden RING bitch

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

Cowcaster posted:

i have to admit i cannot read "the lands between" without hearing it in a dave matthews voice

it's Things Betwixt but with a shittier name

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
threads going hollow

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Colonel Whitey posted:

wrong. it means you lost money and can never experience those quests

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Was thinking of starting with a magic or spellblade build the way I ALWAYS have since Demon's Souls on, but thinking I'll mix it up a little, given the brief rundowns I saw on Fextra about the starting classes. Confessor has a really nice mix of sword and board, faith, and stealth. Guess I'll *finally* try a STR/Faith build.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a.p. dent posted:

wrong. it means you lost money and can never experience those quests

I did see folks saying "so I spent 70 bucks and I miss out on content????" in the replies to the writing stuff down tweet.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Two hours in but the game certainly has a mood

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

Nah I don’t replay a game after beating until unless years have passed.

That sounds awful

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah I don’t replay a game after beating until unless years have passed.

That sounds awful

ok, sorry sounds like this game isn't for you then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Memnaelar posted:

Was thinking of starting with a magic or spellblade build the way I ALWAYS have since Demon's Souls on, but thinking I'll mix it up a little, given the brief rundowns I saw on Fextra about the starting classes. Confessor has a really nice mix of sword and board, faith, and stealth. Guess I'll *finally* try a STR/Faith build.

yeah that checked all my boxes. heal spell, 100% shield, stats to match. My very first DS2 build I lucked out trying powerstance maces which turned out to be one of the best weapons in the game, crushed smelter demon first try