Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

/area will usually be full of people screaming for the location of those islands, so it's not usually an issue.

I think the whirlpool shows up at least 10 minutes before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gear score 593 now on my main. :D Catching up to Pragmatica. :P

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

My partner and I finished up Rohendel's MSQ last night and jumped into matchmaking for the first Abyss Dungeon. On the first boss I realized I was in solo AoE spec on my Bard, died, then another player failed the shot mechanic and died, so we wiped. The player who failed the mechanic immediately voted to quit. Everyone said no. And... everything went completely fine from there! We killed that boss on the next pull and then talked through our sword order on the next one. It took a few tries (my partner was #2 and I was calling the timing as she's still not comfortable enough to look for debuffs while moving around, but I thought that when the message disappeared from over your head that meant the debuff dropped) and we adjusted our order to make sure we had big stagger coming free early, but we got in down in six or so pulls. It was the first time for 3/4 of us.

Cool dungeon. Really looking forward to the next one since that dungeon was siiiick in the MSQ.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

I don't usually follow the inane story line because I value my sanity, so picking up this polaroid without having any context gave me a pause.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
FYI you don't need to look at your debuffs at all. There's a quick screenwide flash + sound cue right when the debuff expires. I found that a lot easier to pay attention to than the debuff bar.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

FYI you don't need to look at your debuffs at all. There's a quick screenwide flash + sound cue right when the debuff expires. I found that a lot easier to pay attention to than the debuff bar.

Yeah that's the smart way to do it, but I have a way of out-smarting myself and deciding I saw the flash when it was just someone popping Awakening or some poo poo.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

I don't usually follow the inane story line because I value my sanity, so picking up this polaroid without having any context gave me a pause.

man that guy is so cool i wish i could meet the demon queen like he definitely did

Khorne
May 1, 2002

admanb posted:

Yeah that's the smart way to do it, but I have a way of out-smarting myself and deciding I saw the flash when it was just someone popping Awakening or some poo poo.
Ranged classes and abilities can drop staggers before swords spawn and/or people can throw consumables (not worth it really). Then you have one person who has a bunch of stagger go for the boss right away and be the first sword. Everyone else kites and does the debuff thing. With 2-3 people who get it it's fairly common to clear stagger check before second sword.

Sorc is particularly busted for this encounter. If you pop ult and drop ranged stagger you can clear 2/3 the bar before sword even spawns and then kite the sword.

Lots of people overcomplicate what's going on in that fight. You'll fail stagger check by the time the 4th can get the sword and 3rd getting it means they can use maybe one ability before stager check fails. I've ran it more times than I'd like to admit due to alts, and the biggest problem (besides people ignoring debuffs and killing the group) is not letting big stagger players go first.

e: for anyone worried about stagger, mouse over your skills. You'll see lots of stagger: high, stagger: med/high. Those are your stagger skills. Most classes have a bunch of stagger.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 24, 2022

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Yeah as Bard I was 4th so I just kited and popped a shot at the boss if I had space. Our group was like Shadowhunter/Demonblade/Gunslinger/Bard so we didn't have any super obvious choices for 1st sword, but it didn't matter that much.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Gunlancer makes the stagger check pretty easy mode. I could generally get it down to 20% by the time the 2nd sword popped.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Is there any way to see weak point/destruction on tooltips? I see Destruction show up on some of my bigger hits as Scrapper when I hit enemies with it (Death Rattle, Supernova) but I don't see the strength of the destruction listed in the tooltips unlike grenades.

Also, is stagger per-hit or for the overall attack? Because if it's per hit then wow, Chain Destruction Fist is gonna do a LOT of stagger with its 8 hits.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Hyper Inferno posted:

Is there any way to see weak point/destruction on tooltips? I see Destruction show up on some of my bigger hits as Scrapper when I hit enemies with it (Death Rattle, Supernova) but I don't see the strength of the destruction listed in the tooltips unlike grenades.

Also, is stagger per-hit or for the overall attack? Because if it's per hit then wow, Chain Destruction Fist is gonna do a LOT of stagger with its 8 hits.

It shows up in tool-tips as "Weak Point." It has levels instead of low/med/high, for whatever reason.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hyper Inferno posted:

I'm pretty sure every move has separate hand-tuned stagger values and the low/mid/high is just a vague indication. A "high stagger" move that hits 8 times is never going to do 8x as much stagger damage as a single-hit move.
Stagger is invisible in guardian raids but dungeon bosses and named enemies get visible bars and you can see how much each move reduces it.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

It’s stupid-fun to laugh off guardian raid mechanics as blue gunlancer and also teaching me so very many bad habits.

But on the other hand I get like 5 counters off on that stupid bear every run so that’s nice.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Got a Paladin up to 480, trying to figure out what classes I want to burn the power passes on. I am leaning toward Sorceress and maybe Deathblade? Any opinions?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Theotus posted:

Got a Paladin up to 480, trying to figure out what classes I want to burn the power passes on. I am leaning toward Sorceress and maybe Deathblade? Any opinions?

both fun classes!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

just finished up the tournament arc and holy poo poo what is this animation

https://i.imgur.com/odGVV6E.mp4

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Garrand posted:

https://i.imgur.com/odGVV6E.mp4

Yeah I dunno how that ended up like that when everything else is so good.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Garrand posted:

It's one of the many reasons to love this game.

Theotus posted:

2 more paladins.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
After getting super frustrated doing Tytalos in matchmaking. I think I ran it at least a dozen times and only managed to get to phase 2 on half of them. I decided to screw it all and just solo it. First attempt was pure failure but my second attempt I barely squeezed in a victory before the time ran out. A victory is still a victory. Phase one isn't too bad but phase 2 is a miserable experience. You have so much stuff to avoid. Wide swings, seeking fire bombs, aoe circles, 180 degree angle slams, fire breaths, tornados that slow you and/or stun you before you need it forcing it on cooldown, It feels almost impossible to get a hit in. Especially the longer casting spells.

But whatever! Its done and I'm still proud to say I beat Tytalos! Solo was a much easier experience. I heard the tier 2 ones aren't as annoying so I'll have to see how it goes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAVNGS46_Qg - My sorceress solo

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Every once in a while I don't skip a cutscene during the story and this time I'm glad. Although I think I accidentally made, like, Johnny Cage or something

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Is there a mode where I can just help Mokokos build lego towers all day :3:

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Still haven't a single inkling on how the story is supposed to tie together progressing across all the continents, but Feiton is definitely very satisfying in a D3/POE hordes of mobs and boss fights kind of way.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Gunlance is so fun

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

So... is Artillerist supposed to be kind of a pain for solo leveling? Been doing the story dungeons alone to get it over with faster (and because nobody will both play the game with me consistently and not power-level way past my limited time). Artillerist puts out a whole lot of damage, but with all the windup/freezing in place for animations/etc dodging area attacks is barely even on the menu so far. Having a tank around would mitigate that, I know - just making sure I haven't missed something obvious to make my life easier while leveling.

Sepah
May 13, 2014

SkyeAuroline posted:

So... is Artillerist supposed to be kind of a pain for solo leveling? Been doing the story dungeons alone to get it over with faster (and because nobody will both play the game with me consistently and not power-level way past my limited time). Artillerist puts out a whole lot of damage, but with all the windup/freezing in place for animations/etc dodging area attacks is barely even on the menu so far. Having a tank around would mitigate that, I know - just making sure I haven't missed something obvious to make my life easier while leveling.

A big part of the gameplay for Artillerist and Sorceress and other classes with big animation locks on their strong attacks is choosing the right times to commit. Enemies that do appreciable damage and interrupt attacks will have windup and recovery animations that give you an opening to get damage in. It's all about avoiding the enemy attacks while still being in a good position to take advantage of those openings.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man gently caress anyone who doesn't just jump in the portal to the next chaos dungeon level right away! Stop chasing down every single mob on the map :gonk:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

explosivo posted:

Man gently caress anyone who doesn't just jump in the portal to the next chaos dungeon level right away! Stop chasing down every single mob on the map :gonk:

This is the main reason I don’t matchmake for Chaos Dungeons.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SkyeAuroline posted:

Not at all. Use some of your stuns / CC attacks to lock enemies down, then drop some big shots on them. Anything with a knock up / down works wonderfully. And the gravity cannon move is a godsend too.

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

is artillerist as “sorceress but with guns” as it seems? because i think i’d be into that

i’m up to 6 alts now — burning all my gold on knowledge transfers while my “main” is still at 500 ilvl. it’s not my fault all these classes are very fun!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Not at all. Use some of your stuns / CC attacks to lock enemies down, then drop some big shots on them. Anything with a knock up / down works wonderfully. And the gravity cannon move is a godsend too.

Oh, to be clear, it's completely painless right up until the dungeon bosses, all of which appear to be immune to CC until you burn through that bar. Those are the main point solo sucks at. Anything else dies fast, no issue.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SkyeAuroline posted:

Oh, to be clear, it's completely painless right up until the dungeon bosses, all of which appear to be immune to CC until you burn through that bar. Those are the main point solo sucks at. Anything else dies fast, no issue.

Then run around and wait for a chance to nuke em. Or use matchmaking.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

It can be painful since they dont have good mobility options ( i mean that swipe can be good) but stick with it. At end game game they get a useful shield to soak up damage and since they stack agility they have very little downtime between attacks. You still need to anticipate attacks because of their delay, but its much better since stats decrease the delays, not just the cooldown.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
The way to get more loot from chaos is:

First map: wait for portal to open at 15%-17% and go next. There's some mechanic here I don't quite get because sometimes it opens at 15 and other times you need to edge to 17.
Second map: kill mini bosses for cd resets and better drops, go into portal as soon as boss is dead, don't try to kill every mob but don't avoid killing them
Final map: get to ~98%-99% then group everything up and use a single damage ability. This results in getting extra loot because you've killed over 100% of the mobs.

The short version being "bosses good, killing extra things at the very end good, missing a boss at the end because you killed too much trash in portal1/2 bad".

SkyeAuroline posted:

Try going in melee range and standing behind them. This isn't necessarily a long-term strategy as a ranged character, but it may help you get a feel for the flow of combat if you're constantly repositioning to be behind a boss. Lost Ark's combat involves a bunch of moving and not necessarily using abilities on cooldown.

Make sure to spam current heal over time potions & don't just leave the low level ones equipped. Heal over time potions are practically free at any tier. It's only % hp potions that you should avoid using unless in endgame content (pretty much anything that goes on 1-2-3-4 you shouldn't be using outside of endgame stuff.)

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 25, 2022

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

SkyeAuroline posted:

As a sorc player - you just gotta work the attack patterns. Theres usually time to weave in a long attack after dodging something. Play in melee range and be kind of bold when your dodge is available.

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean

S.J. posted:

Every once in a while I don't skip a cutscene during the story and this time I'm glad. Although I think I accidentally made, like, Johnny Cage or something

I wish I had been fast enough to grab a screencap of that part since I can't find it in the Memory Archive. My striker with his glorious moustache looked amazing.

Speaking of strikers, having the boss raids of Vertus and Chromium has made being melee dps kind of miserable with the point blank aoes. Might roll up a sorceress as an alt since they seem to come in mvp on those all the time anyway.

Doing fine with the rest of the content, but man, if anyone has any ideas how to survive those monster-hunter-likes as non tank melee dps, I'm all ears. Should I not worry about back striking and just get hits in where ever?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

At least for Vertus you just need to get in and out and touch his back legs. They're behind his centerline so count as back attacks, but don't put you behind him enough that you get into trouble. You really don't have a lot of time though, and anytime they pick up their legs they tend to do a spin or smash attack so just run out whenever you see that kind of animation starting.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Yea, theres a fairly safe spot in like the 45 degree angle between the side and the back on both sides for Vertus. You just have to keep up with someone spinning him in circles...

Chromium - yea idk you just have to know when to dash away and not get faked out by the double slam

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Wayback posted:

I wish I had been fast enough to grab a screencap of that part since I can't find it in the Memory Archive. My striker with his glorious moustache looked amazing.

Speaking of strikers, having the boss raids of Vertus and Chromium has made being melee dps kind of miserable with the point blank aoes. Might roll up a sorceress as an alt since they seem to come in mvp on those all the time anyway.

Doing fine with the rest of the content, but man, if anyone has any ideas how to survive those monster-hunter-likes as non tank melee dps, I'm all ears. Should I not worry about back striking and just get hits in where ever?
Vertus has a really poor design that they didn't use in future content. I wouldn't get discouraged over how that encounter went. If you don't like melee in abyssal then I'd consider moving off of it.

I'm maining a melee and everything that isn't Vertus has gone pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hefty posted:

is artillerist as “sorceress but with guns” as it seems? because i think i’d be into that

i’m up to 6 alts now — burning all my gold on knowledge transfers while my “main” is still at 500 ilvl. it’s not my fault all these classes are very fun!

I haven't played Sorceress, but from what I've seen of it and my experience with Artillerist, totally