Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I started to listen to the KIll Bill 1 ep, but then realized I should probably watch Kill Bill again first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Iron Crowned posted:

I started to listen to the KIll Bill 1 ep, but then realized I should probably watch Kill Bill again first
It's so goddamn good. I rewatched it for the first time in years the other night before listening to the episode and it holds up incredibly well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Iron Crowned posted:

It's really good.

They mention it in the podcast but Kill Bill is a great gateway into asian action movies. They name drop a few movies that are absolutely worth checking out if anyone here hasn't done seen them.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
It’s interesting to see how “new wealth” would flaunt their money in Dougland.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

mweber posted:

It’s interesting to see how “new wealth” would flaunt their money in Dougland.

I’ve been laughing like an idiot for 2 days now about “OH MAH rear end in a top hat FELL OUT OF MY PANTS, DOUG”.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.

GPTribefan posted:

I’ve been laughing like an idiot for 2 days now about “OH MAH rear end in a top hat FELL OUT OF MY PANTS, DOUG”.

I want them to do more episodes of Doug so they can do more of their killer take on Patti Mayonnaise. :allears:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SilentChaz posted:

I want them to do more episodes of Doug so they can do more of their killer take on Patti Mayonnaise. :allears:

:same:

I would gladly give them more money if they had a Doug rewatch sideshow.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

GPTribefan posted:

“OH MAH rear end in a top hat FELL OUT OF MY PANTS, DOUG”.

I haven't listened to the ep yet but I can hear this so clearly in my head

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Their voices would be completely shot by the third episode.

Edit: They only had menthols and they give me the shits, Doug!

mweber fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 22, 2022

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Iron Crowned posted:

Between the Patty voice and the Roger Klotz white nationalist voice I would be all in.

“We’re gonna unite the right, FUNNY!”

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
They have to do the Christmas special. The whole problem is that the rich girl's dad wants to have Porkchop put down and Doug consults his made up weak boy personas for advice and they're all uhhhh this is like a real problem not one of your made up elementary school social anxiety issues

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

They have to do the Christmas special. The whole problem is that the rich girl's dad wants to have Porkchop put down and Doug consults his made up weak boy personas for advice and they're all uhhhh this is like a real problem not one of your made up elementary school social anxiety issues

yea it's really a fantastic insane episode. The stakes are literally 'I'm gonna murder your dog' and all his dumb fake fantasy versions go 'wait what dog murder? Dude this is a 'you' issue' and I THINK it ends when the dog, who's functionally a sentient being which makes the whole murder thing worse, saves the rich girl's life?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

sexpig by night posted:

yea it's really a fantastic insane episode. The stakes are literally 'I'm gonna murder your dog' and all his dumb fake fantasy versions go 'wait what dog murder? Dude this is a 'you' issue' and I THINK it ends when the dog, who's functionally a sentient being which makes the whole murder thing worse, saves the rich girl's life?

If I recall correctly the special starts with Porkchop saving Bebe's life after she falls through some thin ice and the dad misinterprets it as the dog attacking her, and it ends with Bebe coming out of her coma to vouch for him.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

They could also do the episode where Doug and Patty get into this huge rivalry about their entire in the contest to name the school only for Bill Bluff to at the very end go "gently caress the contest, I'm rich and i built the school so now it's called the Bebe Bluff Middle School" and at the end it's revealed that seen from above, the school was shaped like Bebe's head all along. Just a perfect summation about how in the end the rich call every shot

Or they could do the movie. I think a lake monster was involved?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

AceOfFlames posted:

They could also do the episode where Doug and Patty get into this huge rivalry about their entire in the contest to name the school only for Bill Bluff to at the very end go "gently caress the contest, I'm rich and i built the school so now it's called the Bebe Bluff Middle School" and at the end it's revealed that seen from above, the school was shaped like Bebe's head all along. Just a perfect summation about how in the end the rich call every shot

Or they could do the movie. I think a lake monster was involved?

Nematode.

e;
Sorry, apparently.its spelled Neematoad.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 23, 2022

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Man, I just blanked out when I watched Doug I guess, loving what

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Detheros posted:

Man, I just blanked out when I watched Doug I guess, loving what

All I remember of Doug is his closet having nothing but the same clothes, and that one episode where they made that "Banging on a Trash Can" song.

edit: Oh! And Killer Tofu!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
the guys need a “very expensive!” tier for Doug recaps cause I am there

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

thrawn527 posted:

All I remember of Doug is his closet having nothing but the same clothes, and that one episode where they made that "Banging on a Trash Can" song.

edit: Oh! And Killer Tofu!

Don't forget that Liver & Onions is the grossest food on the planet.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hockles posted:

Don't forget that Liver & Onions is the grossest food on the planet.

Yeah, this I don't remember. Sorry-wait, no, I kind of remember this? I remember thinking Liver and Onions is gross, but not why, considering it's not like that was a meal I ate as a kid. This must have been Doug.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, this I don't remember. Sorry-wait, no, I kind of remember this? I remember thinking Liver and Onions is gross, but not why, considering it's not like that was a meal I ate as a kid. This must have been Doug.

Liver and onions is just generic gross food in most kids' shows, I'm sure it came up in Tiny Toons and such as well.
Speaking of Nicktoons, I hope they do an Aahhh! Real Monsters episode since today I learned a recurring character is voiced by one J. Belushi.

EDIT: As to the Doug thing, there was an episode where Patti invites Doug to a party and she tells him as a joke AH'LL BE SERVING LIVUH AND ONIONS, YOUR FAVORITE and Doug being the gigantic weenie that he is believes her and trains himself into being able to stomach liver and onions

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 24, 2022

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

My one random rough Doug fact is that I will always remember you never saw the school principal, but he was named Principal Buttsavitch in the series final and that's always in my mind.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
There's an episode where Doug is scared because he's going to a party at Patty's house where they are serving liver and onions. But it ends up she was joking and they are having hot dogs from whatever the reoccurring diner is. I remember both the hot dogs and liver and onions depicted in the episode looking weirdly tasty. In the course of the episode he maybe eats sushi with his grandma to practice trying new things but that's maybe a separate episode. Jesus Christ why do I remember this poo poo

Edit: Beaten on the all important Doug liver and onion context. Killer Tofu is a banger tho

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
They had Honker Burgers!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Doug also had that episode where they made banana pizza by accident and that was something that sounded good but I would never want to try it in real life.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Pops Mgee posted:

They had Honker Burgers!

That was the restaurant! but I would bet my life that in that particular episode it was Honker hot dogs. Again I really wish my brain was using this space for something else

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Doug also had that episode where they made banana pizza by accident and that was something that sounded good but I would never want to try it in real life.

Come to Sweden and make all your dreams a horrifying reality :discourse:

(I’m a New Yorker before I am a Swede)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Really need to get the boys to watch 1997’s ‘Drive’.

It’s one of those hidden WLM’s in a WHM movie.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I showed that at a movie night and it was a huge hit

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Doug had many instances, minor and more plot relevant, of liver and onions.

There is also kid's next door having a villain who is a grandma who makes gross food. She has little henchmen that are a liver and a pair of onions.

And so on.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I don't think I was ever fed liver and onions as a kid or knew anybody who was.

I've since had it myself, it's decent.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
In all fairness like a decade earlier I feel like everyone had the same aversion to sushi. Which was like the weirdest, most foreign food ever to America in the 80s and early 90s.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Oh gently caress yes! Angelica Jade Bastien is guesting on Hooked on TJ Hooker again!

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

Zurtilik posted:

In all fairness like a decade earlier I feel like everyone had the same aversion to sushi. Which was like the weirdest, most foreign food ever to America in the 80s and early 90s.

I fully believe both of my parents will die without ever tasting sushi.

Brussels sprouts are the food I think of as being the one that had a reputation as an "eww gross" food when I was a kid but then you eventually realize they're actually really good.

MariusLecter posted:

Doug had many instances, minor and more plot relevant, of liver and onions.

There is also kid's next door having a villain who is a grandma who makes gross food. She has little henchmen that are a liver and a pair of onions.

And so on.

Can't say I've ever had liver and onions- honestly don't know what kind of restaurant you'd be able to order them at. Now I feel like I need to give them a shot. They really were a common reoccurring element of stuff I watched as a kid but I've never encountered them in real life.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Zurtilik posted:

You could probably chart changing American attitudes toward sushi to show how opinions shift, from the Simpsons episode where working class average joe Homer is suspicious of sushi but ultimately likes it to a crass New Jersey mobster like Tony Soprano casually liking sushi in one of the last seasons because it's good.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BrownPepper posted:

I fully believe both of my parents will die without ever tasting sushi.

Brussels sprouts are the food I think of as being the one that had a reputation as an "eww gross" food when I was a kid but then you eventually realize they're actually really good.

Can't say I've ever had liver and onions

I was one of the few kids I knew who loving LOVED spinach growing up. Still do. Brussels sprouts own and I always liked them too. I can't think of a vegetable I hate(d).

Liver and onions is loving foul and absolutely disgusting. Just recalling the smell, the texture and the taste brings back horrible memories of my youth where my mom would make it once in a while and makes me want to wretch just thinking about it. I don't see how you could cook or use a liver in anything and have it turn out good.

Wait. What thread is this again? Having deja vu to a much older food derail in this one and had to double check where I was posting.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

When I was a kid the first time I had brussel sprouts I threw up.

Now I beg my wife to eat them with me, I swear I know how to cook, look they got bacon and pine nuts!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't see how you could cook or use a liver in anything and have it turn out good.

I don't know what type of animal liver is used in "liver and onions", but I've had fried chicken livers, and they are out of this world amazing. Like, in a way that no other food can properly replicate.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Your liver is just a big chunk of meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Weird true fact about brussels sprouts: the ones we have today didn't actually exist until some time in the 90s and were specifically cultivated to taste good. It's not just that your tastes matured, modern brussels sprouts are indeed scientifically better tasting than ones you would have had even as recently as the 80s and early 90s. :eng101: