Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gohan lost? Pretty sure he won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namtab posted:

Gohan lost? Pretty sure he won.

He lost because playing around let Cell freak out and self destruct and Goku had to sacrifice himself to avoid the end of the world.

He won the second time with a Vegeta assist

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

TulliusCicero posted:

That's like a "Cell turns good?" Possible universe. I mean Cell does have Goku in him, so there is arguably more potential for him to face-turn than Frieza

I'm surprised Cell never asked them about the method of getting stronger (the HTC) and use it himself.

Cell saw no point in training because he was already perfect.

He just wanted a good fight, not someone to actually get stronger than him, which is why he flipped out when Gohan snapped.

Much like Freeza did when Goku transformed.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

He lost because playing around let Cell freak out and self destruct and Goku had to sacrifice himself to avoid the end of the world.

That may be a loss to you, but I welcome the end of the world

OmegaFartHuffer
Feb 23, 2022
Is there any streaming service that offers Kai in Japanese with subs? Funimation only has English. I would buy physical media if possible too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namtab posted:

That may be a loss to you, but I welcome the end of the world

Well fortunately you only need to wait another decade then

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

ImpAtom posted:

The other members of Earth's Special Defense Force were helping too. It might not have seemed like much but they were causing a distraction and dividing Cell's efforts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

New Leaf posted:

The other members of Earth's Special Defense Force were helping too. It might not have seemed like much but they were causing a distraction and dividing Cell's efforts.

That is anime exclusive. In the manga they take 18/Trunks and get out of blast range.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

ImpAtom posted:

That is anime exclusive. In the manga they take 18/Trunks and get out of blast range.

Sounds like the anime's better then

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

New Leaf posted:

Who??

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

New Leaf posted:

that sequence is NOT canon

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A bugman blowing up and taking the world with him is a mercy

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Stairmaster posted:

that sequence is NOT canon

It was loving rad though.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

New Leaf posted:

Its sort of funny that a proper name for Goku's fighting pals has never been set in stone so we sometimes refer to them like they are Navy SEALs or Spetsnaz.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
They'll always be Z Fighters to me.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Goku's brokus

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I prefer Z fighters too, if only because its the only thing that kind of explains the Z in Dragon ball Z.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Z Fighters is cool and fun and simple

they're not just fighters, they're Z Fighters, the be-all end-all

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Sounds like the anime's better then

I have mixed opinions - it does give them something to do other than lament at their powerlessness, but it makes Vegeta's impact a looot smaller (plus it feels weird that Cell no-sells the blasts for 5 minutes, but the last one is the one that distracts him).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I had a weird realization that is utter irrelevant but I wanted to share.

Cell is the only villain we see die in all of his forms. Perfect Cell by Gohan, Semi-Perfect when he self-destructs, and First Form when Future Trunks kills him.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

everything is canon in dragon ball actually

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I had a weird realization that is utter irrelevant but I wanted to share.

Cell is the only villain we see die in all of his forms. Perfect Cell by Gohan, Semi-Perfect when he self-destructs, and First Form when Future Trunks kills him.

Yep

Thanks Time Travel and Toriyama wanting to go back to an earlier form he liked more

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
he also dies as a larva when trunks blows up gero's lab.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

We see all the Cell Juniors get killed too.

drat, the universe had it out for Cell.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Raxivace posted:

Well his genetic composition is mostly people who have died really hard. Goku, Vegeta, Frieza; the guy never stood a chance!

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Calaveron posted:

Well his genetic composition is mostly people who have died really hard. Goku, Vegeta, Frieza; the guy never stood a chance!

Should've put some Bulma and Lunch in there.

Super-genius Cell with a gat.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

OmegaFartHuffer posted:

Is there any streaming service that offers Kai in Japanese with subs? Funimation only has English. I would buy physical media if possible too.

I’m looking at Amazon right now and the Kai Blu-ray’s are up there, since you mention being okay with physical media.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

A Cell with Bulma genetics would have been literally unstoppable. His Piccolo brilliance would have effectively had its own Super Saiyan boost with her mixed in.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

New Leaf posted:

It was loving rad though.

It's like ten minutes of them convincing themselves to actually do something, two minutes per character of them actually getting into place and doing something, and a bunch of nothing happening. It completely kills the pace of the beam struggle, and just makes them all look even weaker when all of them combined can't do something that a barely functional Vegeta can do.

It's just sort of pointless.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

khwarezm posted:

Its sort of funny that a proper name for Goku's fighting pals has never been set in stone so we sometimes refer to them like they are Navy SEALs or Spetsnaz.

They're called the Dragon Team. :colbert:

mmkay posted:

I have mixed opinions - it does give them something to do other than lament at their powerlessness, but it makes Vegeta's impact a looot smaller (plus it feels weird that Cell no-sells the blasts for 5 minutes, but the last one is the one that distracts him).

Vegeta fires from a higher angle.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
it’s worse having the other z fighters help against cell cause it feels like a task you give a toddler that wants to help you make dinner.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Raxivace posted:

According to Super the Cell Juniors survived. They had the same regeneration and Core as Cell, and eventually regenerated. They started living on 17's island and were tamed by him. Facing them was how he got stronger, and without Cell to guide them they were not super malicious.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You know, when all of the good guys inevitably die out, Earth is going to be really interesting down the line. Saiyan-Human hybrids, Majins, Cell Juniors, possible Piccolo offspring...

OmegaFartHuffer
Feb 23, 2022

Last Celebration posted:

I’m looking at Amazon right now and the Kai Blu-ray’s are up there, since you mention being okay with physical media.
Hm, I thought they were dub only. Am I incorrect?

Christ, what a racket though regardless of that.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

You know, when all of the good guys inevitably die out, Earth is going to be really interesting down the line. Saiyan-Human hybrids, possible Piccolo offspring...

You said Gohan twice

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Dragon Ball earth started out a pretty mystical place, but now it's going to be a very real magic god planet

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Come to think of it, if Vegeta does succeed as Destroyer of U7, then Earth becomes the new GoD Planet. Dende gets a gently caress of an upgrade, and it becomes a universal hub.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

OmegaFartHuffer posted:

Hm, I thought they were dub only. Am I incorrect?

Christ, what a racket though regardless of that.

It’s basically a given that outside of series that only get edited releases like Pokémon or Yugioh that X anime series has the dub and original Japanese voiceovers, yeah.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

You know, when all of the good guys inevitably die out, Earth is going to be really interesting down the line. Saiyan-Human hybrids, Majins, Cell Juniors, possible Piccolo offspring...

Pretty sure that's the whole deal with Dragon Ball Online, which iirc has the Namekians just end up moving to Earth. (or at least some of them)

Throw in someone putting the Android blueprints on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
speaking of universal hub, i find it extremely weird that they introduced multiple universes and nothing has been done with them for 2 arcs now. Moro was magic so he had an excuse to being able to universe hop once he found out about them