Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1496949071810027532?s=20&t=xhoLmHZjuOJLz1X4sDuAEA

https://twitter.com/JaneLytv/status/1496953319981469700?s=20&t=xhoLmHZjuOJLz1X4sDuAEA

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1496932277737119746?s=20&t=xhoLmHZjuOJLz1X4sDuAEA

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1496953361077350402?s=20&t=xhoLmHZjuOJLz1X4sDuAEA

Just some updates. As always, fog of war and quick changes occurring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Franks Happy Place posted:

Buddy I promise you, if GIGN was the one taking an airport, everyone in possession of a rusty musket for 500 miles around the point of attack would have been warcrimed into oblivion the night before.

Call me the next time Russia is launching air strikes halfway across the world like a proper empire.

Syria's not halfway around the world, but I think they have plenty of recent experience with airstrikes. Plus now Ukraine obviously, though it seems like they've been relatively cautious with their targeting so far (which I don't expect to continue if they get bogged down)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paracausal posted:

just catching up but wow, Putin is going to try and ride this out on his stolen billions and throw the rest of Russia to the wolves
https://twitter.com/TimOBrien/status/1496867400117014533

It lost only 45% because they closed market trading. It was in free fall, and rouble is at its lowest point since 2014, if not since devaluation. With extra sanctions from US announced, and from U.K. and EU somewhere close, Russian market is going to take additional battering in the days to come.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Are those Russians? Is there any indications that the Russians have broken into downtown Kharkiv?

Not that I've seen.

Here's the video I mentioned earlier about the bridge being blown. Apparently the car survived, yay!
https://twitter.com/WarsontheBrink/status/1496944043338567691

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Popete posted:

The economic damage this is going to do in the long run to Russia really does not seem worth it for fairly minor territorial gains unless I'm missing out on some vitally important reason for Russia to want to occupy Ukraine.

Like did Putin just hope this would go over the same as annexing Crimea and no one would really care?

We’re only 24 hours into this invasion the rest of Ukraine will get swallowed up over the next couple weeks if the momentum keeps up

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I kinda think putin had a stroke and got brain damage, or maybe just followed the trend of recent american presidents and developed dementia/alzheimer's. The latter is really hard to notice, as the transition is usually across years, and putin being a tyrannical despot probably doesnt have any checks and balances, or people close to him, which can curb his damaging behavior. It's often happens like the person acts almost completely normally, except for specific things, like just refuses to wear a jacket despite it being freezing outside. Or randomly invades a country despite there only being downsides to it.

Even the most ardent putin supporters itt were super convinced, less than a week ago, that it was all a big biden/cia hoax and that putin would never ever attack, because it would be so stupid. I guess it could also just be a massively bloated ego and being incapable of understanding that ukraine might reject his demands and suddenly he realizes he'll lose his precious strongman identity if he doesn't go to war.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

Genuinely surprised:

I thought for sure that was Germany

Do they have the biggest nuclear stockpile of the European powers as well?

Germany's army is 4 guys with 3 helmets and 2 guns standing near a very nice tank that probably doesn't have any fuel or ammunition

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Popete posted:

The economic damage this is going to do in the long run to Russia really does not seem worth it for fairly minor territorial gains unless I'm missing out on some vitally important reason for Russia to want to occupy Ukraine.

Like did Putin just hope this would go over the same as annexing Crimea and no one would really care?

Way earlier we had Russian posters (or those who had family there anyway) saying it was a bit of a running gag domestically that Putin loved spending all his time playing around with foreign policy type stuff, and couldn't give a poo poo about like important but dry domestic stuff.

If we take that to it's extreme conclusion then perhaps he genuinely doesn't care about that kind of fallout.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

TulliusCicero posted:

Maybe the airport got shelled so hard it opened a rift in reality, one where the Russians occupy the airport and one where the Ukranians repulsed them exist at the same time

Gonna need Schrödinger's ATC (air traffic controller) to remedy that

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

Franks Happy Place posted:

Buddy I promise you, if GIGN was the one taking an airport, everyone in possession of a rusty musket for 500 miles around the point of attack would have been warcrimed into oblivion the night before.

Call me the next time Russia is launching air strikes halfway across the world like a proper empire.

French forgien legion still exists doesn't it? And still has some of the most well trained Merc forces as part of it?

Like the stories of the gherkas alone is terrifying

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

i get the personal feeling that russia underestimated ukraine's ability to resist invasion

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
ZENRUS is updated with new graphics!
https://zenrus.ru

Rouble dipped to 90 / USD for a while, but now is up a bit to 85

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Majorian posted:

Not that I've seen.

Here's the video I mentioned earlier about the bridge being blown. Apparently the car survived, yay!
https://twitter.com/WarsontheBrink/status/1496944043338567691

You'd think they would barrier it off or something...

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Paracausal posted:

just catching up but wow, Putin is going to try and ride this out on his stolen billions and throw the rest of Russia to the wolves
https://twitter.com/TimOBrien/status/1496867400117014533

I hope Putin had a well-diversified portfolio. Otherwise, he just made his own net worth drop by billions.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
now we're getting into the cool zone
https://twitter.com/COUPSURE/status/1496954831545810944

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

We’re only 24 hours into this invasion the rest of Ukraine will get swallowed up over the next couple weeks if the momentum keeps up

I thought the consensus was Russia wouldn't have the resources to take all of Ukraine (and hold it)?

I suppose this is all just speculation, we'll know in a few weeks where things are likely headed.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

French forgien legion still exists doesn't it? And still has some of the most well trained Merc forces as part of it?

Like the stories of the gherkas alone is terrifying

France, like America, is probably killing somebody somewhere in the world right now this minute in a dirty war we've never heard of.

They do like half the world's counterterrorism murders, its kind of their thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grape posted:

Way earlier we had Russian posters (or those who had family there anyway) saying it was a bit of a running gag domestically that Putin loved spending all his time playing around with foreign policy type stuff, and couldn't give a poo poo about like important but dry domestic stuff.

If we take that to it's extreme conclusion then perhaps he genuinely doesn't care about that kind of fallout.

so what are the chances poo poo turns against him domestically.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Grape posted:

It's worth noting that he's shown a desire to shift more power to the Prime Minister, the post under the President, and appointed the closest Russia has to a technocrat to that post in 2020. He's been the head of the Russian government for twenty years, it may be that he's frankly bored of the administrative side of things and wants to deal with great politics.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Congrats to proud Ukrainian tools

What?

Grape posted:

He has very clear disdain for doing domestic politics, and frequently comes out of touch when talking to normal people. Got forbid he gets asked a question, that’s “a litre of milk costs £17” territory right there.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I kinda think putin had a stroke and got brain damage, or maybe just followed the trend of recent american presidents and developed dementia/alzheimer's. The latter is really hard to notice, as the transition is usually across years, and putin being a tyrannical despot probably doesnt have any checks and balances, or people close to him, which can curb his damaging behavior. It's often happens like the person acts almost completely normally, except for specific things, like just refuses to wear a jacket despite it being freezing outside. Or randomly invades a country despite there only being downsides to it.

Even the most ardent putin supporters itt were super convinced, less than a week ago, that it was all a big biden/cia hoax and that putin would never ever attack, because it would be so stupid. I guess it could also just be a massively bloated ego and being incapable of understanding that ukraine might reject his demands and suddenly he realizes he'll lose his precious strongman identity if he doesn't go to war.

Someone I know is pondering if Putin has a terminal illness or something. Perhaps there is something there?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I think that a Russian conventional military victory is a sure thing but this really does seem like Putin has potentially bitten off more than he can chew in the long run.

Like at minimum pretty much the entirety of Eastern Europe, even mostly neutral countries like Finland, seem really incensed by this which will probably strengthen their ties to NATO in the long run, and whats the plan for Ukraine exactly? Occupation of half the country with a simmering irregular war against the Russians? Attempting to topple the government and replace it with a rickety pro-Russian puppet most of the country will hate?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Popete posted:

I thought the consensus was Russia wouldn't have the resources to take all of Ukraine (and hold it)?

I suppose this is all just speculation, we'll know in a few weeks where things are likely headed.

debatebly but it sounds like Putin is gonna take the whole thing, especially if his dead start pilling up.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
The United States generally has a warped view on France but yeah they are one of the top "Do not gently caress with" nations in the world.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The tweet says Ukrainian tools are getting the upper hand

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

My new favourite strategy, taking American astronauts hostage.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Holy poo poo they are actually going to do a (comparitively tiny) colony drop :stare:

We in Gundam now. Is this the 00 Timeline or UC

If that's true that's tantamount to a small warhead

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Popete posted:

My point isn’t this my point is that at this point it’s too early to tell that Ukraine is gonna put up a long term heroic resistance, right now overall the momentum is with the Russians and the real telltale signs of how the war is going will be over the next four-five days if Russia can take any major urban centers or not. We’re only one day into this.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like the French army is perfectly fine but the us right made a big deal with France being super weak so the us left has to talk up that the French army is actually the strongest in the universe and could fight god when it’s mostly just a normal army that is not super special In either direction.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

The tweet says Ukrainian tools are getting the upper hand

Oh I’m blind, sorry. I was losing my mind trying to figure out what was the joke there.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Yureina posted:

Someone I know is pondering if Putin has a terminal illness or something. Perhaps there is something there?

There has been a lot of media speculation about that over the years, frequently revolving around the fact that he doesn't move his right arm when he walks. But it was always bullshit, because that's actually KGB/FSB tradecraft. So I wouldn't place too much hope/expectation on that hypothesis.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Alchenar posted:

https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1496950779332096000/photo/2

This is a guy definitely living in a bunker for the forseeable future :(

He has a wife and two young kids. I wonder if they're safe.

On one hand, it would be unfair if he used his position as president to get them out. On the other, they're probably in more danger than your average Ukrainian.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Al-Saqr posted:

My point isn’t this my point is that at this point it’s too early to tell that Ukraine is gonna put up a long term heroic resistance, right now overall the momentum is with the Russians and the real telltale signs of how the war is going will be over the next four-five days if Russia can take any major urban centers or not. We’re only one day into this.

Yes, overall momentum toward conventional military victory.... and then what?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

khwarezm posted:

I think that a Russian conventional military victory is a sure thing but this really does seem like Putin has potentially bitten off more than he can chew in the long run.

Like at minimum pretty much the entirety of Eastern Europe, even mostly neutral countries like Finland, seem really incensed by this which will probably strengthen their ties to NATO in the long run, and whats the plan for Ukraine exactly? Occupation of half the country with a simmering irregular war against the Russians? Attempting to topple the government and replace it with a rickety pro-Russian puppet most of the country will hate?

i think he just doesn't care at this point. he wants his imperial glory and even if that means losings dozens of soldiers a week in a lovely occupation after a grinding horror show campaign and his economy decimated/etc.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

cinci zoo sniper posted:

We have no details. We (kind of) know it was 31st VDV, so almost literally the best infantry brigade Russia has, think Russian MARSOC. We also know that they held the airfield for half a day, and that Ukrainians ended up escalating to tanks and artillery fire. If I had to make a guess, they got blow up alongside their cover.

If only I'd played more Europa Universalis, I would be able to use my sun tzu war mind to confidently extrapolate the outcome of this against Russia's next 7 turns of gameplay, like i'm watching happen elsewhere. Instead, I'll just go "big if true" because that's pretty much .. yeah.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Between this and fighting over Chernobyl, it's been a weird loving day.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Do we know what's happening with the Russian and Ukrainian navies? Was the Kuznetsov part of the 'drills' and it's fulfilling its role as a mobilea
smokescreen over the Black Sea or was it still dry docked at the time?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
How worried should we be about the war spiraling out of control?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

William Bear posted:

He has a wife and two young kids. I wonder if they're safe.

On one hand, it would be unfair if he used his position as president to get them out. On the other, they're probably in more danger than your average Ukrainian.

Given Russia's history of how it deals with the families and children of defeated heads of state, yeah, I'd be worried about his wife and children's safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think he just doesn't care at this point. he wants his imperial glory and even if that means losings dozens of soldiers a week in a lovely occupation after a grinding horror show campaign and his economy decimated/etc.

Yeah I'm with you on this, dude doesn't care about anything else at this point than his "Greater Russia, Putin Restorer of borders" delusion

That's why I think he's terminal: this is last days in the bunker poo poo