Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

wetdela posted:

Oh, amazing! Welcome to Ukrainian political chat! :) I hope you learn something!

Does anyone have any intel on consolidation points for Ukrainian citizens looking to evacuate by land? Aside from the obvious Lviv through yavoriv- I think maybe Chernivtsi into Romania? Martial law is making it difficult and the nature of the strikes is pretty wide ranging. Not sure how to advise my friends.

Hungarian borders are open, anyone can enter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Al-Saqr posted:

They can always provide us with video of them strolling into the airport, i don’t want to wake up tomorrow to daylight footage of the Russians still holding the airport

This is kind of moot since there is absolutely zero scenarios where France would be fighting Russia alone.

quarantinethepast posted:

Ironically it's a form of American exceptionalism turned on its head; in any conflict involving the US in any way the US is uniquely evil and wrong, and we must focus completely on the US and its faults and ignore or pardon what any other country is doing. In fact the US is so evil it justifies by whataboutism the most wretched behavior by any country because the US has done it worse, up to and including genocide.

There seems to be trail that ultimately is sourced by my quote, and I'd like to say I never implied that Russia was "good" or that NATO was some sort of enemy. I acknowledge people with such views exist (especially in this very forum) but I don't think I deserve to be lumped in with them.

Mokotow posted:

Polish borders are open. Document requirements are waived. Reception centers are operational. Regulations have been lifted so far as to even allow bringing in house pets.

This is very warming if true.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Reminder that the head of Roscosmos is literally this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI0eEH_ZuHE

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

Yeah I'm with you on this, dude doesn't care about anything else at this point than his "Greater Russia, Putin Restorer of borders" delusion

That's why I think he's terminal: this is last days in the bunker poo poo

again this won't end in a week probably and it will get worse, sanctions will build. my guess is those protests in moscow will get bigger and hopefully spark poo poo if he crushes them.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

again this won't end in a week probably and it will get worse, sanctions will build. my guess is those protests in moscow will get bigger and hopefully spark poo poo if he crushes them.

Honestly the Putin regime just kind of slow-motion farting itself to death over this is the best case scenario for global peace, in terms of how it would hopefully influence other countries decisions w/r/t Taiwan, Kashmir, whatever.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Really concerned about Chernihiv. Host family is hiding in their basement.
I'm not really seeing that battle covered unless the Russians have bypassed it.
My host sister heard from the family that the tanks have destroyed all the roads that were newly built last year.
Russians were also using loud speakers to do the usual "Stay away from us and you'll be safe we won't harm you" from their tank propaganda bullshit.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Now they're cribbing from Red Alert 3.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Willo567 posted:

How worried should we be about the war spiraling out of control?

until I saw that message about Russia threatening to de-orbit the ISS, I'd say rather low, but now? who the gently caress knows

I'll have to say, when I woke up this morning, I wouldn't have imagined "dying by a burning piece of ISS impaling your apartment building" to be an option for any of us, it seems like the dumbest and most unlikely way to go

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mmkay posted:

Do we know what's happening with the Russian and Ukrainian navies? Was the Kuznetsov part of the 'drills' and it's fulfilling its role as a mobilea
smokescreen over the Black Sea or was it still dry docked at the time?

a large portion of the ukraine navy was captured in 2014 when crimea was taken. ukraine effectively does not have a navy

russia deployed naval units to support the push along the southern coast of ukraine

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Willo567 posted:

Depends where you and your family/friends live. If you live in Ukraine east of Kyiv, then 10/10? If you live in Lviv, 9/10? If you live in old Warsaw Pact countries, then probably like... 3/10?

VVV: That's also the impression I got.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TulliusCicero posted:

Holy poo poo they are actually going to do a (comparitively tiny) colony drop :stare:

We in Gundam now. Is this the 00 Timeline or UC

If that's true that's tantamount to a small warhead

Doesn't sound like a direct threat. It's more like he's reminding the world that the Russian cargo ships are the only thing keeping the ISS in orbit. Without periodic re-boosts, the station will fall back to Earth at a random location under its ground track -- which does include a lot more American and European territory than Russian.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Oh righ, I didn't even consider this.

This is going to be another giant win for all the private space aeronautics dipshits like Musk. Yet another reason to hate Putin.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Libluini posted:

until I saw that message about Russia threatening to de-orbit the ISS, I'd say rather low, but now? who the gently caress knows

I'll have to say, when I woke up this morning, I wouldn't have imagined "dying by a burning piece of ISS impaling your apartment building" to be an option for any of us, it seems like the dumbest and most unlikely way to go

There are other spacecraft that have been tested for use in boosting the ISS. The Russian ones are the main ones that have been used, but not the only ones that could be used.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

From a bunch of pages back and worthless but several people reacted to it so it doesn't hurt to mention.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Well, that's what I thought. This man got on that plane 100% knowing he'd not be coming back, and that Flanker looked to be taking the advantageous position at the end of the clip.

--snip a bunch of stuff

Unless anyone can convince me otherwise, I'm saying that Fulcrum pilot scratched the Su-30SM in a dogfight, landed, rearmed, and returned to start dropping rockets on the VDV at altitude zero because if he flies any higher for more than a moment he gets aced by SAMs.

I dare you to give me a radar track that says different, because the Ukrainians simply do NOT have a lot of MiG-29s left or we'd be seeing a lot of them, and from what we've seen this guy is doing the same sort of extremely low altitude poo poo from the other video.

I have no interest in convincing him this way or that, but for anyone who read it he has just made up some some cool sounding airplane stuff that has no basis in the videos he linked. Maybe he has read something somewhere that I haven't and not linked it, more likely he just likes planes and dreamed up some hero scenario. War isn't good for anyone's mental health.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Powered Descent posted:

Doesn't sound like a direct threat. It's more like he's reminding the world that the Russian cargo ships are the only thing keeping the ISS in orbit. Without periodic re-boosts, the station will fall back to Earth at a random location under its ground track -- which does include a lot more American and European territory than Russian.
I am certain Elon Musk would be pleased to sell a SuperDragon to NASA for a billion dollars to avoid this

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Willo567 posted:

A long, grinding occupation that kills a bunch of people seems very much possible.

A broader regional conflict however seems very unlikely.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Keep in mind that Russian "leadership" is 50% complete goons with liked responsibility who exist to say inflammatory nonsense to the base. It's a country of Herman Goerings and the only news channel is Fox News.

They are not going to deorbit the ISS.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So all those reports from yesterday about Russians landing in Odessa, did any of that turn out to be true?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think Putin expected 2-3 days and it's over. Most Russians are still in shock mode, sitting at home. Even the Putin die-hards going "hell yeah" will start to question what's going on as the economy around them crumbles. If this drags on there will be a lot more vocal and unhappy crowds. Important to mention is that war supporters are expecting civilians to wave Russian flags and flowers as tanks roll in as that was the propaganda programming. They won't see this on TV to re-assure their views.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 24, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Popete posted:

I thought the consensus was Russia wouldn't have the resources to take all of Ukraine (and hold it)?

I suppose this is all just speculation, we'll know in a few weeks where things are likely headed.

With the attack forces that they massed at the border in the previous weeks and months, it seems like a daunting task. Even if limiting the occupation to "just" the Kyiv-Odessa line and everything east of it it's a big area, many big cities and also some nice big forests where guerrillas could hide.

But they could also call reserves for occupation duty, you don't need A quality troops to watch over roadblocks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Charliegrs posted:

So all those reports from yesterday about Russians landing in Odessa, did any of that turn out to be true?

No, just missiles.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Reminder that Roscosmos's chief's sole job qualification is being a nazi, and his statements tend to be consistent with that sort of worldview.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I don’t think they are threatening the iss like a supervillain. They are pointing out that other than like a demo launch for space x that docked with the iss like 99% of all the functional launches to the iss in the last ten years have all been Russian, it’s not so easy to cut them out as punishment to Russia, the iss needs Russia more than Russia needs the iss. “Good luck keeping it from falling without fuel launches” isn’t really a claim they are going to weaponize it since they don’t command it, it’s a claim Russian launches are the only thing that keeps giving it enough fuel to stay in orbit. Elon musk launches don’t do that stuff yet and the us hasn’t launched anything to the iss since 2011

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I feel like the French army is perfectly fine but the us right made a big deal with France being super weak so the us left has to talk up that the French army is actually the strongest in the universe and could fight god when it’s mostly just a normal army that is not super special In either direction.

Doesn’t matter much how strong the French army is when its president blabs about the finlandization of Ukraine at a meeting with Putin.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

We have no details. We (kind of) know it was 31st VDV, so almost literally the best infantry brigade Russia has, think Russian MARSOC. We also know that they held the airfield for half a day, and that Ukrainians ended up escalating to tanks and artillery fire. If I had to make a guess, they got blow up alongside their cover.

Just curious, do you have any sources on it being the 31st VDV?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Pretty sure that's a rad way to make sure no one works with your country on space projects ever again.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don’t think they are threatening the iss like a supervillain. They are pointing out that other than like a demo launch for space x that docked with the iss like 99% of all the functional launches to the iss in the last ten years have all been Russian, it’s not so easy to cut them out as punishment to Russia, the iss needs Russia more than Russia needs the iss. “Good luck keeping it from falling without fuel launches” isn’t really a claim they are going to weaponize it since they don’t command it, it’s a claim Russian launches are the only thing that keeps giving it enough fuel to stay in orbit. Elon musk launches don’t do that stuff yet and the us hasn’t launched anything to the iss since 2011

Time to nationalize Space-X and restart the space program.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, he's saying the ISS will fall down unless periodically boosted by Russian Soyuz, which is only true until another craft does the job, which it will after it gets massive funding real soon.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Randarkman posted:

Time to nationalize Space-X and restart the space program.

You mean time to shovel couple more trillion dollars to Musk, Bezos and other unaccountable black holes.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1496959123707109394

:stonk: if this is actually true ukraine seems to be on the ropes already

universal conscription is not a measure you take unless you absolutely have to

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
This is... troubling. Brest, Belarus is literally on the Polish border.

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1496958617945317377

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
this airport thing is still bugging me. i know russia's military culture is very different from ours, but i think if we sent a few hundred special forces to their death at an airport behind enemy lines, it would result in several ruined careers and maybe a few movies about one of the biggest military blunders in decades.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

A big flaming stink posted:

What about the invasion scenario in of itself has made you think it was ever anything less then a complete ultra emergency on every level?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

That's a pretty wide age range to be men in realistic fighting shape, making me :tinfoil: about whether some of it's to alleviate concerns from neighbors about hosting male refugees. But there's no point in doing conscription after you've already been conquered so now's the time if they're ever going to do it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The US built a backup orbital assist module just in case of this eventuality, and mothballed it in DC. It is estimated that it would take a couple years to refurbish, but I bet what they'd do is just adapt that design to a Falcon 9 / Falcon Heavy with a Dragon. I'm sure Elon will have his folks working on it pronto, just in case the market opens up.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interim_Control_Module

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISS_Propulsion_Module

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

OddObserver posted:

Reminder that Roscosmos's chief's sole job qualification is being a nazi, and his statements tend to be consistent with that sort of worldview.
I am reliably informed that this is impossible, as that would make him a Ukrainian. :v:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

They already sent out conscription letters earlier in the day to nationals abroad earlier in the day, calling them to report for duty.

Tbh, this is probably a standard procedure under martial law

It doesn't mean they are going to conscript every single fighting age male.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

chupacabraTERROR posted:

This is... troubling. Brest, Belarus is literally on the Polish border.

https://twitter.com/JackDetsch/status/1496958617945317377

Brest is the nearest city of note in Belarus near the Ukrainian western borders.
Which might indicate they're going to try and slide down and close off the Ukrainian border with Poland? Lviv is down there too so there's another reason.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Concerned Citizen posted:

this airport thing is still bugging me. i know russia's military culture is very different from ours, but i think if we sent a few hundred special forces to their death at an airport behind enemy lines, it would result in several ruined careers and maybe a few movies about one of the biggest military blunders in decades.

We don't know what's happening or even what has happened currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rad Russian posted:

I think Putin expected 2-3 days and it's over. Most Russians are still in shock mode, sitting at home. Even the Putin die-hards going "hell yeah" will start to question what's going on as the economy around them crumbles. If this drags on there will be a lot more vocal and unhappy crowds. Important to mention is that war supporters are expecting civilians to wave Russian flags and flowers as tanks roll in as that was the propaganda programming. They won't see this on TV to re-assure their views.

i assume the invasion will probably be a couple weeks but who the gently caress knows. i doubt the ukranians are gonna give up and they can move the goverment westward and obvious create a goverment in exile. this poo poo isnt going away.

Sinteres posted:

That's a pretty wide age range to be men in realistic fighting shape, making me :tinfoil: about whether some of it's to alleviate concerns from neighbors about hosting male refugees. But there's no point in doing conscription after you've already been conquered so now's the time if they're ever going to do it.

the russians and their lickspittles are gonna war crime anyway. already have a bunch today.