Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

If they aren't, how is posting pictures "cheerleading executions"?

I don't know, you brought it up so you tell me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

steinrokkan posted:

What makes you assume Ukraine is executing POWs? That's a serious allegation to throw around

This person would not be a POW. Like I, and others have said, a non-uniformed enemy combatant captured behind the lines is an unlawful enemy combatant, by category a spy or saboteur.

Even under the current governing Geneva Protocols that govern armed conflict, Ukraine would be within its rights to have shot him where and when he was captured.

That being said, I don’t think anyone is suggesting the Ukrainians actually did this.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheRat posted:

I don't know, you brought it up so you tell me?

???

"cheerleading the execution of people whos pictures are linked in here"

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

???

"cheerleading the execution of people whos pictures are linked in here"

ZombieLenin posted:

Sucks to be that guy. I don’t know how Ukraine feels about capital punishment, but the Geneva Protocols still allow for non-uniformed combatants operating behind the front lines to be unceremoniously shot.

How are u posted:

It's what he deserves. They'll probably hold onto him, but they'd be well within their rights.

Stuff like this is just grotesque.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

My Russian wife spent the past couple of hours arguing with her sister. The sister claims the war was started by the US, NATO and the EU and also somehow these three did nothing to stop the war. While Ukraine was committing genocide on the people of Donetsk and Lughansk.

Meanwhile some of my Russian friends tried to go to protest against the war, but have been messaged on the way that protesters are being beaten and detained so they turned back. Instead they watched Threads with their teenage daughter to get her up to speed with the situation.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1496973896922263572

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

While some posters debate the hypothetical execution of a spy

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1496980437293535242?s=20&t=rNggpunWPXfyY3gr8imX2g

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1496980171576037376?s=20&t=rNggpunWPXfyY3gr8imX2g

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kavros posted:

What that particular captured individual was doing, if accurate, puts one in "spies and saboteurs" category, which is deeply, deeply pressured against even in the highest, ponciest Marquess of Queensberry Rules styles of 'civilized' war. usually meant you just got unceremoniously shot.

Yeah I'm not sure that he would actually qualify as a POW if facts alleged are true.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

Well, when you’re invaded by Russia and the fate of your loving country is on the line, don’t you think it’s best to say, “hey it’s okay for your families to leave, but men of fighting age need to stick around just in case.”

Arguments about the fairness of conscripting people to fight wars aside, this actually just reinforces my feeling that Ukraine is going to fight and resist, and just isn’t interested in Putin’s suggestion everyone lay down their arms and go home to be ‘liberated’, de-militarized, and regime changed returned to the fold of the Russian Empire.

It’s good news, frankly, not bad news.

im more referencing the fact that untrained conscripts are just an absolutely terrible military force, so the fact theyre resorting to this awful option illustrates ukraine's dire straits

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://www.saveecobot.com/en/radiation-maps#13/51.3847/30.0673/gamma/comp+cams+fire

Radiation spiking at Chernobyl.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

im more referencing the fact that untrained conscripts are just an absolutely terrible military force, so the fact theyre resorting to this awful option illustrates ukraine's dire straits

Typically conscripts are trained.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
What was the point of the Russians capturing Chernobyl anyway?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We're not even caught up on the news yet, but got home to see my fiancée having a breakdown at this poo poo and it sucks. It kinda felt coming on, but the actual thing kicking off did it in. She, we really, didn't think it would escalate to actual war. It feels awful. I don't know what to do. When she speaks russian to me I know it's serious. Mercifully she's safe and her family here in the US and back in Russia and Kazakhstan are safe. But I hate myself for not feeling her pain, and hate both of us because this is certainly far easier than the people who have loved ones never coming home have it. I don't even know if I should use english or my broken russian to comfort her. Part of me is pissed at the world for putting another target on her back as being a russian with a russian accent in the US she'll have to live with forever. It feels really selfish when people are dead but still.

I ordered some god tier cajun banh mis and I'm going to make some sweet potato fries and some chili ketchup for them cuz I know she loves both those things. I wish I could do something better or more.

In short gently caress war and gently caress nationalism, forever.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Agreed. And that age range is insane, what’s a 60 year old man gonna do? Just let them flee

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

i am a moron posted:

Rangers aren’t ‘SF’ imo they’re conventional quick reaction light infantry rolled up under SOCOM

I would say the 75th Regiment is SF, no? There's a difference between Ranger school and RASP. Obviously, there are more elite levels in the US Army and other branches and further.....I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Charliegrs posted:

Ukrainian troops were guarding it. It has a bunch of bridges, on the route to Kyiv. Has sections of the Ukrainian power grid connected up to it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Charliegrs posted:

It's on an important transportation route, is still a fairly important junction in the power grid, and had Ukrainian forces there for the preceding two reasons.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Charliegrs posted:

There’s a power juncture there, that’s still operational, but I don’t know if it’s internal or transit. If transit then it doesn’t mean much, since Ukraine did unplug from Russian and Belarus energy grids last night. In that case, the utility might be in flanking the ground forces between Belarus and Kyiv.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Charliegrs posted:

It was between them and Kyiv, there are bridges over the Pripyat river, and there were already some Ukranian troops there.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

Spoke with family in St. Petersburg, they moved there recently from Kiev for job reasons and hoping to take advantage of better Russian pensions. They hate Putin and generally don't really get into politics like my family in Ukraine who are raving right wing anti-vaxxer conspiracy folk. They watched Putin's war declaration and found it quite compelling. "Everything is he said was unfortunately true about Ukraine".

They have a genuine belief that the democratically elected jewish comedian and Azov Battalion are one and the same. They kept bringing up how Ukraine is horrible and "burns russian speaking people to death". They don't support the war or like Putin but believe every single accusation he made and thinks Ukraine mostly brought this on itself for threatening russia with its existence.

Yeah
Ukraine must be really bad even at ethnic cleansing because there are millions of Russian speaking people in the open in Kiev even after like 30 years

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ukraine has mandatory military service.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

how does one read that map? Like, what's bad and what's ye gods we're doomed levels?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

WH Presser said that USAID is deploying a disaster response team to Ukraine for the humanitarian disaster.
I'll hold off until I see it put out in a statement I can link here.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Wait what?

I hope neither side is dumb enough to destroy the containment shield?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I'm very stupid, could they use this to poison the Kyiv water supply since it is downriver?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The guy on the left looks like he’s seen some poo poo. That’s definitely the 1000 yard stare.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Mooseontheloose posted:

how does one read that map? Like, what's bad and what's ye gods we're doomed levels?
No idea, other than if you click a number is shows graphs of recent data and a whole bunch of them have shot up today. I'm assuming ~3000 to ~65000 is not good.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Oh, that's interesting department: Sean Penn is on the ground in Ukraine filming a documentary about Russia’s invasion

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Mooseontheloose posted:

1 mSv is the limit for your average Joe Public per year. The hot spots there are about .655 mSv per hour.

It's not a ton. A CAT scan is like 20 mSv. Wikipedia says the maximum dose estimated for Fukushima refugees was 68 mSv. But it is nothing to sneeze at.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 25, 2022

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

If you click on the dots, you can see readings from the past few days. Today's reading is 25x what yesterday's was.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

seems pretty loving bad for a modern army.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

keyframe posted:

Wait what?

I hope neither side is dumb enough to destroy the containment shield?

Intentionally no, unintentionally is totally possible.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Part of me is pissed at the world for putting another target on her back as being a russian with a russian accent in the US she'll have to live with forever. It feels really selfish when people are dead but still.

just pretend to be ukrainian. unless its' prairie canada they won't be able to tell.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

around roads and other main points, it seems

maybe just stirring dust and such from all the recent activity?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

TheRat posted:

Stuff like this is just grotesque.

I don’t mean to be flippant, but yes it is; then again so is invading a country without justification.

Also I’m the category of grotesque is the entire process of warfare which is, even following the letter of the the ‘rules’ of war to exacting detail, is designed to kill, maim, or seriously injure the soldiers of the opposing belligerent.

Legal weapons of war including those that kill by any number of methods outside of biological and chemical warfare, or for those who countries who are signatories to the 1997 treaty prohibiting the use of anti-personal mines—land mines.

A great example of one of the more grotesque and legal weapons of war (they ALL are grotesque and sort of the anthesis of humane) are those designed to kill, maim, or injure by burning humans to death.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
It seems to be in nanosieverts per hour, which means the spike is to the scale of 10s of microsieverts per hour. I’m not a nuclear scientist and don’t really know how to translate individual device measurements to larger scale implications, but one sievert of exposure correlates to a significant elevation in cancer risk.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dwesa posted:

around roads and other main points, it seems

maybe just stirring dust and such from all the recent activity?
I had been thinking that, that perhaps having the, you know, Russian Army rolling through would be disturbing things that were not normally disturbed by periodic trucks and so forth. It does seem to track roads.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Do you have any useful insight instead of scaremongering? What do these numbers mean?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

seems pretty loving bad for a modern army.

It's worth keeping in mind that all armies in all wars have been overreporting enemy casualties A LOT, even when you take out the pure bragging nonsense kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Just saw a tweet of a Russian supply convoy hit. Dead bodies no link.

It means they have not secured their rear areas from Ukrainian attack.