Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

No joke, these past 24 hrs have felt like they've been going on for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What happened to our very own Brown Moses and his reporting? I remember him covering the various arab conflicts and Crimea pretty well.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

quarantinethepast posted:

I hope this becomes Putin's Afghanistan

Yeah, let's not. Afghanistan was completely destroyed between '79 and '89 then America came in to blow up the rubble in 2001. Don't wish that on people just to own a tiny-dicked gnome.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Baronjutter posted:

What happened to our very own Brown Moses and his reporting? I remember him covering the various arab conflicts and Crimea pretty well.
pretty sure he's https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randarkman posted:

An earlier post said his facebook was not pro-Russian.

Re-read that earlier post.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Not to talk about posters, but some people strongly dislike that he's linked to the Atlantic Council, there have been multiple QCS threads calling for him to be permabanned.

If he posts anything but the most straight forward stuff it stirs up a hornet's nest.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Re-read that earlier post.

Yeah, I got corrected already, I read it wrong.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, let's not. Afghanistan was completely destroyed between '79 and '89 then America came in to blow up the rubble in 2001. Don't wish that on people just to own a tiny-dicked gnome.

I mean it more in the sense that it costs Russia a lot with little reward, but yeah that wasn't obvious.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I will say this in caps as I'm exstatic at Ukraine crushing the airborne attack

UKRAINE STRONKEST IN REGION

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

fez_machine posted:

Not to talk about posters, but some people strongly dislike that he's linked to the Atlantic Council, there have been multiple QCS threads calling for him to be permabanned.

If he posts anything but the most straight forward stuff it stirs up a hornet's nest.

He basically gets paid to post (on his own website), which makes some people absolutely furious.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
E: nevermind

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

i am a moron posted:

Agreed. And that age range is insane, what’s a 60 year old man gonna do? Just let them flee

every over age reservist you can push in to driving trucks or uncrating weapons or working the sign out sheet at your local "come get your gun" depot is a 30 year old that you can put on the line to fight

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Randarkman posted:

It was just a minute ago, still not loading in properly or taking a very long time to do so for me.

Yeah, as of the time I started writing this post it's down:

https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/rt.com.html

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

official wikipedia map is up!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

If that's srsly it da russkie isn't doing great

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Taco Duck posted:

I'm not tech savvy enough to spot obvious fakeness but

https://mobile.twitter.com/NotWoofers/status/1496990787539595280

There’s no apparent way to discredit that story, and credible Ukrainian sources were sharing it earlier in the day as well.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

quarantinethepast posted:

I mean it more in the sense that it costs Russia a lot with little reward, but yeah that wasn't obvious.

If something like this is as easy as Russia could make it look, it would have negative repercussions around the world. I assumed you meant it in favor of national sovereignty and the limitations of imperialism.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Bellingcat is reporting on this as well, looking at their Twitter.

Ikasuhito posted:

No joke, these past 24 hrs have felt like they've been going on for a week.

Now be me and have read every single post made here since it began. :suicide:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

FishBulbia posted:

Shock and Ew

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Okay so the metric for mechanised warfare is this: in 1940/41 in France and Russia Guderian was driving his Panzers 20km a day at peak advance, which was mostly against zero opposition. In 2003 the US advance in Iraq, also for large portions cross country against zero organised opposition also averaged 20km per day.

Time hasn't really changed this, if you are doing 20km you are doing extremely well, if you are doing more than 20km that implies you are taking quite substantial risks to drive down a road fast and hope nobody shoots you. For day one advances those all look pretty reasonable for Russia.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Wuxi posted:

Considering what happened to that transport plane that crashed in Russia proper I wouldn|t be so sure about that.

ironically there's a very real chance that that plane was meant to land reenforcements at hostomel

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Pretty happy that my initial assumption that ukraine wasn't going to go down without a very hard fight is turning out to be somewhat correct. I mean it's still anybody's game but this is excellent. I mean not having a mass casualty event or wiping out all the air defenses in the first 24 hours it is an unbelievable victory for the Ukrainian fight.

The longer this conflict drives on and the more sanctions go in the longer the ruble drops and nose dives the more likely it will be that Putin has to walk away. What I would worry about at this point is that zelinsky ends up agreeing to a ceasefire with Russia to save the country. However it could be that he's entertaining the idea to limit the Russian destruction of the country. As heavy bombing would cause zielinsky to turn face on the apossiblirt of ceasefire

Sorry for the misspellings, I am text to speeching as my hand hurts badly.

But seriously the fact that you crane is giving Russia such a run for their money is unbelievably amazing. I mean while they probably wouldn't be able to do this without the javelins and stingers and s*** it is a great telling of how dysfunctional the Russian military is post ussr. I know somebody's going to argue that the Russian military was never good and I agree with that but this is really taking the cake

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 25, 2022

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

FishBulbia posted:

Weren't there reports of the Russian army pushing past Kherson and even capturing Mykolaiv? Were those false? EDIT: I remembered wrong, I was thinking of Melitopol.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 25, 2022

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Pretty happy that my initial assumption that ukraine wasn't going to go down without a very hard fight is turning out to be somewhat correct. I mean it's still anybody's game but this is excellent. I mean not having a mass casualty event or wiping out all the air defenses in the first 24 hours it is an unbelievable victory for the Ukrainian fight.

The longer this conflict drives on and the more sanctions go in the longer the ruble drops and nose dives the more likely it will be that Putin has to walk away. What I would worry about at this point is that zelinsky ends up agreeing to a ceasefire with Russia to save the country. However it could be that he's entertaining the idea to limit the Russian destruction of the country. As heavy bombing would cause zielinsky to turn face on the apossiblirt of ceasefire

But seriously the fact that you crane is giving Russia such a run for their money is unbelievably amazing. I mean while they probably wouldn't be able to do this without the javelins and stingers and s*** it is a great telling of how dysfunctional the Russian military is post ussr. I know somebody's going to argue that the Russian military was never good and I agree with that but this is really taking the cake

Broke: The Ukraine
Woke: Ukraine
Bespoke: You Crane

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FishBulbia posted:

This doesn't seem to be based on anything though. I'm going to wait until I see Ukrainian or Russian media showing of the base to decide its not contested. If that exists, please link so I can adjust my map.

the ukranian media has send it was taken back hours ago.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

i dont think Putin will walk away and while i think Ukraine will stand for a while(and definitely go full resistance/guerrilla when the army finally falls). he has been embarassed now and ghouls like him dont handle that well. i think the bombings tonight will be very bad and the russians are gonna not show any restraint anymore.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Weren't there reports of the Russian army pushing past Kherson and even capturing Mykolaiv? Were those false?

yeah. apperently.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Russia should be VERY happy about their Southern operations. Elsewhere, it's hard to judge the degree to which they're cautiously advancing according to plan, or if they're actually facing opposition.

We have no idea to what degree any of this is not going along with what Russia had planned, with maybe the exception of their little Kiev airport debacle.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. apperently.

I never saw anything that said they were.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

"Ghost of Kyiv" is trending on twitter. I assume it's raw propaganda, whether it has natural roots or not. Interesting to see how propaganda plays out in the age of twitter.

https://twitter.com/dinotrakker/status/1496972883876360195

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Someone said something about Turkish drones earlier.

[url]https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1497000512163565569[./url]
(edit2- Gonna edit out the post but leave the link. It's not authentic.)

CW: The link has drone footage of war combat, but it is not gore. (edit- There is infrared presumed casualties, and armor destruction)

I can't vouch for the website, apparently it is from Belarus? Just edit/delete it if this isn't cool.

edit- A twitter comment says this isn't authentic, fwiw.

ummel fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 25, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
(CW: War) Ukraine v Russia: Silent but deadly.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

coelomate posted:

"Ghost of Kyiv" is trending on twitter. I assume it's raw propaganda, whether it has natural roots or not. Interesting to see how propaganda plays out in the age of twitter.

i feel like this belongs in the same category as the supposed snipers of past wars who got 9000 confirmed kills or whatever. there's no way to verify it, so there's no real reason to believe it

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

punk rebel ecks posted:

To be fair, this seems to be happening world-wide. Russia may have been first in line with all this though due to obvious historical context.

The Russian government has also been actively funding its own QAnon equivalents, both in the form of "news outlets" like RT, and in the form of troll farms.

RT is basically a QAnon booster at this point -- a lot of the "Q-pilled" far-right in the US and Canada are now taking in a steady stream of RT alongside the usual Fox News and co propaganda.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Concerned Citizen posted:

i feel like this belongs in the same category as the supposed snipers of past wars who got 9000 confirmed kills or whatever. there's no way to verify it, so there's no real reason to believe it

Gun cam footage and radar results would theoretically make it super easy to verify.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

JosefStalinator posted:

We have no idea to what degree any of this is not going along with what Russia had planned, with maybe the exception of their little Kiev airport debacle.

That debacle was a disaster. It's destroyed a highly trained Russian unit and stopped another Brigade from flying in and threatening the capital. It's probably slowed down what their entire plan that was to attack south from the border.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

coelomate posted:

It seems to be a war thunder meme

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497010244379160578?s=20&t=2KlPX8qzobvGrz3_nL1N1g

New development

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the ukranian media has send it was taken back hours ago.

Okay, right, the retracted statement. Do they have video from the airbase showing Ukr troops there?

This is the last official tweet about it

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1496952123522576385

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

There are seemingly a lot of African users in the replies to Ukraine officials tweet saying they will fight for Ukraine. I can't vouch for authenticity but there's a notable amount of them. Is there some kind of affinity between people in Africa and Ukraine or is this just normal, offbeat international internet stuff?

https://twitter.com/levi_rodney/status/1496810368659718145

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ummel posted:

Someone said something about Turkish drones earlier.

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1497000512163565569

CW: The link has drone footage of war combat, but it is not gore. Mostly armor getting got.

I can't vouch for the website, apparently it is from Belarus? Just edit/delete it if this isn't cool.

Charter97 is often sensationalist, but the video was posted in many other places and was verified.