Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Young Freud posted:

What's left of the Ukrainian Air Force. The missile attacks in the first few hours seemed pretty certain that the Russians hit every UAF base, along with the Navy.

The answer could simply be that some airfields got repairs and/or claims were exaggerated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

khwarezm posted:

A mythology has sprung up around this fighter pilot in less than a day with very little confirmation. I'm sure that its helped along by intelligence services.

Like I was seeing people talk about how he shot down 4 planes or something, without any verification.

Let the people believe. They don't have much else.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Young Freud posted:

I wonder where they're being parked if it's not at an airbase or airport in the Ukraine? Did Ukrainian Air Force have enough foresight to build hidden airfields? They flying out of Moldavia or something?

Probably just on a stretch of road somewhere.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DaysBefore posted:

Gonna remove this to be safe, all the livecams around Sumy show nothing and also this Benny dude is some Turning Point dork with a bunch of plagirism accusations, sorry everyone

I genuinely really appreciate your source reevaluation. This is going to be a messy thread as far as breaking news and anything that de-messes it is to be lauded.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

khwarezm posted:

A mythology has sprung up around this fighter pilot in less than a day with very little confirmation. I'm sure that its helped along by intelligence services.

Like I was seeing people talk about how he shot down 4 planes or something, without any verification.

I have zero idea where we'd get verification at this stage. The Ukrainians have every reason in the world to hype up the story and actual mission reports would be classified right now. The Russians have every reason to downplay it and any reports of their own forces being dunked on by an almost-ace-in-a-day would be classified.

The only confirmation would be if someone was pointing a camera at whatever aircraft he downed. And even then, it's probably four different videos and they'd need to be high quality enough to confirm it's the same aircraft/pilot in each one.

It sounds like a dumb Ace Combat plot, but there's pretty much no way to know if it is real or not in any objective sense at this stage.

SonnyVasquez
Oct 17, 2012

El riesgo siempre vive!

khwarezm posted:

If I can go and fall into complete, nutty Clancyposting for just one post, not because I either want or believe this will happen in the slightest but because of my own curiosity, if the Russians were to detonate a nuclear weapon on Ukrainian soil, what would the rest of the world's response be?

To fall down this bad rabbit hole with you: nukes are primarily a deterrent as we know. They exist simply so that the threat of their use can be utilized, not so they themselves can actually be utilized. To this effect there are nukes so large - known as continent killers - that by their own design defeat their own purpose, i.e., they are so destructive they do not work as a deterrent because their use would lead to ultimate destruction. Therefore they are, in effect, purposeless.

The most likely Clancychat situation would be a Sum of all Fears affair, an unaccounted for dirty bomb - in this case whether really unaccounted for or not may be the real question, more on this in a moment - detonated in a city center/near a hospital/place with high pedestrian traffic.

But this leads to the real question so far as terrifies me and is imo penultimate Clancychat/MGS mode which is that, imo, if there were to be a nuke detonated somehow in this conflict - and thankfully that is highly unlikely - but if there were, my opinion would be it would be a small device, most likely a dirty bomb, and the real question in this circumstance is who would be doing the detonating and I can't help but think that if something like that was to happen it would be by a Russian-backed grey zone element, i.e. organized crime or some other fanaticized/separatist group, so that Russia maintains plausible deniability. Where this group would get said bomb also be of interest but one would have to surmise if they're being paid to detonate a dirty bomb they're also probably being given the bomb/materials to make said bomb at the same time...

But bear in mind though that all of this is at the very far end of the scale of what might happen and is, in all probability, highly unlikely.

Makes for solid Clancychat though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

KM Scorchio posted:

Putin give zero fucks about protests. Peaceful protests achieve nothing even in allegedly democratic states.

Protests lead to confrontations. Confrontations lead to people seizing control of government buildings. The government's inability to govern because of the seizure of government assets leads to a full-on collapse of said government and rebellion in the population.

See: Eastern Europe 1989, Ukraine 2014, Kazakhstan 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Putin is absolutely counting on this being a short victorious war

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Shes Not Impressed posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497024504455139330?s=20&t=XqtxEx69YeFvjMiAq-a6ZQ

I expect bombings to commence soon if Russian armies are on the move to Kyiv again

Quiet on Kyiv cam at the moment

This is good progress no? In a 24 hour window, they have advanced 20 kilometers from the border in Kyiv's direction. That's about a third of the distance.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

SonnyVasquez posted:

To fall down this bad rabbit hole with you: nukes are primarily a deterrent as we know. They exist simply so that the threat of their use can be utilized, not so they themselves can actually be utilized. To this effect there are nukes so large - known as continent killers - that by their own design defeat their own purpose, i.e., they are so destructive they do not work as a deterrent because their use would lead to ultimate destruction. Therefore they are, in effect, purposeless.

The most likely Clancychat situation would be a Sum of all Fears affair, an unaccounted for dirty bomb - in this case whether really unaccounted for or not may be the real question, more on this in a moment - detonated in a city center/near a hospital/place with high pedestrian traffic.

But this leads to the real question so far as terrifies me and is imo penultimate Clancychat/MGS mode which is that, imo, if there were to be a nuke detonated somehow in this conflict - and thankfully that is highly unlikely - but if there were, my opinion would be it would be a small device, most likely a dirty bomb, and the real question in this circumstance is who would be doing the detonating and I can't help but think that if something like that was to happen it would be by a Russian-backed grey zone element, i.e. organized crime or some other fanaticized/separatist group, so that Russia maintains plausible deniability. Where this group would get said bomb also be of interest but one would have to surmise if they're being paid to detonate a dirty bomb they're also probably being given the bomb/materials to make said bomb at the same time...

But bear in mind though that all of this is at the very far end of the scale of what might happen and is, in all probability, highly unlikely.

There is a flaw in your statement. Tactical nukes are made to be used—huge problem since their use can easily escalate.

Also Putin has threatened to use these twice in the last 24 hours, and Russian doctrine is pretty open to their use against peer to peer opponents.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MikeC posted:

This is good progress no? In a 24 hour window, they have advanced 20 kilometers from the border in Kyiv's direction. That's about a third of the distance.

20km is not 1/3 of 200km, which is the closest border point from Kyiv.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Same with snake island?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Also bypassing cities means you haven’t captured. Or even pacified them. That’ll be fun.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SonnyVasquez posted:

Final warning to Clancychat - “No WW3 bollocks” rule in the OP does very much apply to it.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Can we cool it on Clancychat in this thread? This war is horrific enough.

efb

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Years after the war, an intrepid journalist finally tracks down the Ghost of Kyiv, but it turns out it's actually the spirit of a 1910's farmer haunting a grocery store that was built over the site where his horse kicked him to death.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
A lot of folks are talking about the Ukrainian air force ceasing to exist already but they had CAS at the Kyviv airport on day 1 and a lot of interceptor duty. It's too early to know everything and its frankly unlikely that Russia knows where everything is or is able to get maximum effect on everything that they happen to hit.

Bag of salt folks, it's overwhelming to see come in real time but it always takes a while for anything to be confirmed. Repeated and multi-sourced claims can be good but are unfortunately just a start. Besides war is mobile, troops being removed from a position does not guarantee that they won't return to take that position, or that the situation has had a clear conclusion.

Also Ukraine has been preparing for 8 years for this exact situation. It's a David and Goliath affair but Russia clearly overplayed on a couple levels in this and Ukraine isn't the paper tiger they may have expected them to be.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Edit: Just saw the Clancy post.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

FishBulbia posted:

Putin is absolutely counting on this being a short victorious war

I was alive, but a wee shite, during the Hungarian Uprising and destruction so I doubt I'll live long enough to read the future post-war accounts of the differences in what the Russians expected and what they encountered. I do hope they are surprised and dismayed.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Eggs posted:

"ghost of kyiv" comes across as such a blatant psyop.

Psyop? Dude it's very clearly war thunder/ace combat nerds trying to project their dreams into reality, there's nothing nefarious about it

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

SonnyVasquez posted:

The difference between a nuclear weapon and a dirty bomb is so gigantically large that it's laughable to consider them in the same hypothetical.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

A lot of folks are talking about the Ukrainian air force ceasing to exist already but they had CAS at the Kyviv airport on day 1 and a lot of interceptor duty. It's too early to know everything and its frankly unlikely that Russia knows where everything is or is able to get maximum effect on everything that they happen to hit.

Bag of salt folks, it's overwhelming to see come in real time but it always takes a while for anything to be confirmed. Repeated and multi-sourced claims can be good but are unfortunately just a start. Besides war is mobile, troops being removed from a position does not guarantee that they won't return to take that position, or that the situation has had a clear conclusion.

Also Ukraine has been preparing for 8 years for this exact situation. It's a David and Goliath affair but Russia clearly overplayed on a couple levels in this and Ukraine isn't the paper tiger they may have expected them to be.

The "Fog of War" is an actual real thing and isn't just the shorthand for your vision limitation in strategy games. Hence my comment about Ukraine's ace-in-a-day.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Warmachine posted:

It sounds like a dumb Ace Combat plot, but there's pretty much no way to know if it is real or not in any objective sense at this stage.

Did you know there are three kinds of Aces?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The difference between a nuclear weapon and a dirty bomb is so gigantically large that it's laughable to consider them in the same hypothetical.

https://twitter.com/benpauker/status/1497031073145966595?s=20&t=QB5RO55zWiOSzpvM9J9drA

Looks like the stages for the invasion change every 24 hours no matter what.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/nolanwpeterson/status/1497029144898682890
More and more volunteers across Europe will enter Ukraine to give Putin a bloody nose.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Ghost of Kyiv
The Heroes of Snake Island
The National Guard Boys of Hostomel Airport

Gotta respect the pride.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

freeasinbeer posted:

Also bypassing cities means you haven’t captured. Or even pacified them. That’ll be fun.

It's very clear that the Russian strategy is to take Kiev as quickly as possible so they can knock out the government and maybe install a puppet.
This seems to be coming with a lot of assumptions that this will immediately end the war for all intents and purposes.

Which uh, reminds me an awful lot of the same assumptions Napoleon made in Moscow.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
The fact that the plane is still in the air is a minor miracle

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

freeasinbeer posted:

that only works long-term when it's islands :nimitz:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

how are we not already at "(CW: War) Ukraine v Russia: Russian warship go gently caress yourself !!READ OP WARNING!!"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ummel posted:

Ghost of Kyiv
The Heroes of Snake Island
The National Guard Boys of Hostomel Airport

Gotta respect the pride.

Indeed. Heroes.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

MadJackal posted:

https://twitter.com/benpauker/status/1497031073145966595?s=20&t=QB5RO55zWiOSzpvM9J9drA

Today's the day it looks like.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1497032363255250947?t=BUqORbnM2pvq6SAAJczz9Q&s=09

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

how are we not already at "(CW: War) Ukraine v Russia: Russian warship go gently caress yourself !!READ OP WARNING!!"

I read somewhere that the "go gently caress yourself" was actually "taste my dick".

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Despera posted:

The fact that the plane is still in the air is a minor miracle

I doubt the thing is an actual 1983 vintage.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
On the webcams, it looks like bombing has begun in Kyiv

e: This camera is possibly in Odessa, but I can't confirm. Reports of missiles hitting near both Kyiv and Odessa at the same time.

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 25, 2022

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Paracausal posted:

https://twitter.com/nolanwpeterson/status/1497029144898682890
More and more volunteers across Europe will enter Ukraine to give Putin a bloody nose.

So there's obviously a British guy there but it sounds like he's talking to an American. I wonder what his story is.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MadJackal posted:

It's technically true...

FishBulbia posted:

official wikipedia map is up!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Done.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Massive blasts just reported Kyiv and Odesa.

Looks like Russia is pushing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

How are u posted:

Indeed. Heroes.

Extremely dead heros.