Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Slavvy posted:

That is still a good deal, just not for you.

The owner is a fuckwit definitely.
Yeah no regrets walking away, but with a garage I could've probably just used the steering thing to get him a little lower and then had months of learning experiences ahead. I'd practically pay $1k just for the experience of dissecting it.

For me at around 6 hours into any work, 4 if it's going badly, fatigue sets in and I start making stupid mistakes and forgetting things. In a garage this would just mean putting it down for the day. In the street I need to pack up all my tools, have the bike be sufficiently assembled to roll back to the carport, or at least cover it and get all the loose parts off the street. Sometimes I push that fatigue line to get something done and by the end I'm cutting any corner I can, very not-zen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I once repaired my motorcycle in the street, and after I put it all back together and went outside to pick up some milk and bread the next morning, it was no longer in the street, as it had been taken away in someone's van. I like to think the thieves were watching like a seagull on a lamp post just waiting for me to finish before swooping in to rob it. Lesson learned, don't fix your bike in the street because scrotes will nick it. Ok maybe that's not the appropriate lesson, but what can I say.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Remy Marathe posted:

When I told him why I was there, he said "Oh, you were looking at..." and got this grin on his face.

lmao

Solid trip report though. Working on anything in the street is a bitch so I totally get it, I'd have passed too I think.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Not giving up every negative detail about a bike you're selling is all part of the game :omarcomin: , but spooky steering and leaky brakes do not fall under things you keep secret. gently caress that guy. It was probably a really nice bike when he bought it and he just ran it into the ground.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Totally agree that well maybe a good deal, may not be a good deal for you.

I lived in a apartment complex with stringent outside repair policy. Ended up renting a storage unit to work on junker car. It was something like $80/month, money well spent

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Anytime I think I have poor impulse control, I find one of these listings then shake my head and feel better about myself.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

And he's asking $300 over list price of an actual new one

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I'd bet good money there's still a loan too, people on Craigslist in these situations seem to have a very loose concept of what "clean title" means and often expect to get someone to give them a chunk of money to pay it off before actually signing it over :lol:

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
I'm keeping an eye on this bad boy. It says spares and repairs, but doesn't sound that bad.

Sorry, phone posting and I cant work out how to make imgur work.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-D...0-127635-2958-0

She’s a bit sorry for herself these days and has been sat for a while, but if someone wants to show her some love she would be a great green lane bike. She still runs but both brakes need a going over. Mileage is unknown as the clocks are not original (the screen cracked on the original) the tank cap has had the lock broken open as it failed on a ride years ago. Still seals the tank but just won’t lock. And overall condition is a bit rough 

I will also chuck  in a battery charger as she has a lithium battery fitted.

Listed as spares repair so she’s sold as seen 

Any questions please ask 

On 14-Feb-22 at 17:15:57 GMT, seller added the following information:
I do not have a buy it now price, I will allow the auction to run it’s path

I have also just added a few more photos for those who have asked 

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1035248693692109
I'm thinking real hard about making an 8-hour round trip this weekend to see (hah) this ZRX1200R, the price is on my high side, but I like both the lack of aftermarket tinkering and the upgrades it has. It's an ugly drive done with any efficiency, takes a couple hotel nights to make it leisurely, and I so I feel like I'd need to pretty much decide in advance to buy (barring any undisclosed concerns), use good words to convince the seller of that and ideally get a commitment from him to hold it.

Anything special I should be aware of when it comes to 20 year old bikes with extremely low mileage that appear to have been immaculately stored in the desert?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tyres, probably chain, probably at least one random leak that will spring up somewhere. Maybe sketchy clutch/brake hydraulics, but in the desert with no moisture idk it might be fine? Never seen a desert.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jazzzzz posted:

Having said that, that bike's a few hours' labor and maybe a couple hundred in parts, not including tires, from racking up another 50k+ miles in comfort for someone semi-competent with a wrench. It's still not a bad deal at 3K.

I test rode the same model last year, seller wanted £4000 for it. It was in mint, showroom condition.

I passed, I hated the ergos. It functioned perfectly mechanically however. He probably still has it, he didn't see many bites for it.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Anyone viewing that FJR I looked at before is going to have an immediate sinking feeling going from the clean bike pictured to what is currently being shown: deep corrosion all over on the metal which happens on anything stored outside by the coast. The top case in a pile by the garage followed by "it doesn't stay on". The guy didn't even bother to run a rag over the bike before I showed up, it was dirty, cobwebbed, and sitting with an empty tank (I did not look inside, I should have remembered to).

I'm getting slight cold feet at the idea of a 20yo bike and the ZRX seller above is resisting my attempts to get the bike's actual specific history. I'm not ruling out the ZRX, the more I read about it the more I want one, but I'm gonna stick closer to my $5k price point and wait for something close enough to sit on, get a gut check when I show up, and not feel like I'll be blowing a whole weekend if I'm even slightly inclined to walk away empty handed.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 24, 2022

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

20 year old bikes can be totally fine, but only if they're ridden at least a few hours every month.

Almost any 20 year old bike that's been sitting in a shed or under a tarp with cobwebs and corrosion all over the place is the bike equivalent of a shitbox and should cost less than $1000 imho.

OmniumOccidental
Feb 27, 2021

LimaBiker posted:

20 year old bikes can be totally fine, but only if they're ridden at least a few hours every month.

Almost any 20 year old bike that's been sitting in a shed or under a tarp with cobwebs and corrosion all over the place is the bike equivalent of a shitbox and should cost less than $1000 imho.

I bought my Aprilia Falco with 3,500 miles sight unseen from a lovely dealer in Louisiana that embodied the good ol' boy persona (gently caress you Rad's Cycles).

And except for a rusty chain, dry rotted tires and a fuel hose quick release that was about to melt away, it took me a few hours of wrenching and a quick trip to cycle gear to have the bike ready to ride to Florida and then back to California.

This bike hadn't been ridden since 01 and performed beautifully all the way home.

With all old bikes that haven't been ridden, you just have to do the usual, brakes, tires, chain/sprockets, oil change and battery.

Cosmetic stuff that isn't from a crash or drops cleans up quite nicely usually.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

OmniumOccidental posted:

With all old bikes that haven't been ridden, you just have to do the usual, brakes, tires, chain/sprockets, oil change and battery.

Yeah if you're lucky maybe. Carb diaphragms get brittle, emulsion tubes get gummed the gently caress up, airboxes take on rodent families, coolant systems get full of jelly, electrical connectors corrode, tanks rust, petcocks rot out, cable housings seize, cables corrode at the ball end, etc. And that's if it's been parked for no specific reason in decent condition at the time. Most old bikes that haven't been ridden are that way because somebody wrecked them or something's hosed up because of neglect, lovely maintenance, or a poorly conceived unfinished project. There's always a battery in them that's puked its electrolyte and a burned out bulb.

Love to see "low miles" in the Craigslist ad for a 20 year old Nighthawk like that somehow makes it worth the $3000 they're inevitably asking and doesn't indicate a couple weeks of work and $1000 in parts.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 25, 2022

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Go for it! These bikes are beautiful and analog beasts and that looks like a very clean example. That is on the high side unless it really, "needs nothing.'" As a past and current (hah) ZRX owner there are a couple of specific items to look at:

Check for fuel in the oil, the vacuum petcock goes bad and will leak fuel into the crankcase. It's a $20 fix plus an oil change.
No fancy injection or abs to go bad but the carbs will get gummed up pretty easily, especially with low use / low mileage. A weekend with some carb cleaner.
You'll want to replace the 20yo rubber in the tires, brake & clutch lines, crankcase vent line, fuel line, seals, etc. Desert dry rot and UV are not kind to the OEM rubber.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

hoho`win posted:

Go for it! These bikes are beautiful and analog beasts and that looks like a very clean example. That is on the high side unless it really, "needs nothing.'" As a past and current (hah) ZRX owner there are a couple of specific items to look at:

Check for fuel in the oil, the vacuum petcock goes bad and will leak fuel into the crankcase. It's a $20 fix plus an oil change.
No fancy injection or abs to go bad but the carbs will get gummed up pretty easily, especially with low use / low mileage. A weekend with some carb cleaner.
You'll want to replace the 20yo rubber in the tires, brake & clutch lines, crankcase vent line, fuel line, seals, etc. Desert dry rot and UV are not kind to the OEM rubber.

Yeah all of this and if you open anything on the carbs be prepared to replace any rubber. Float bowl seals and o-rings, at least. If you do that then a “rebuild kit” might be an easy way to do it and they’ll likely include float needles. The ZRX forums will probably have the go-to kit documented.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah there's a crusty old fart on zrxoa* who sells an O-ring kit and float bowl gaskets. Not the float needles tho. My diaphraghms were still pretty supple when I cleaned the carbs a few years ago.

*every bike board has a crusty old fart who knows a lot about bikes, be glad our current one isn't that old and doesn't appear to be an actual rear end in a top hat outside of the crustiness

Phy fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 25, 2022

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I love how every bike has some dude that had some spare cash when he was doing the job that just bought a thousand o-rings in the right sizes to package up and sell on the forums. I got multiple sets for my XJ and one for my DR350 that way. The DR350 guy sends them with a printout that has every o-ring on it at full scale so you can line up any of the 8+ o-rings with the picture to make sure you've got the right one for the right part.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That reminds me of when the local Ducati/Suzuki/Kawi shop closed, they sold off their craftsman toolbox full of mikuni and keihin jets. I couldn’t afford it at the time but I wanted it so badly.

I somewhat frequently think of that thing and wonder what happened to it

Also, semi relatedly, I’m fairly sure I invented gasket piracy? I used to scan full gasket sets in to PDF, and if people printed the pdf’s at the same dpi, they’d get 1:1 templates that they could use to cut paper gaskets out for themselves.

At least I had never seen anyone else doing it at the time.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That reminds me of when the local Ducati/Suzuki/Kawi shop closed, they sold off their craftsman toolbox full of mikuni and keihin jets. I couldn’t afford it at the time but I wanted it so badly.

Also, semi relatedly, I’m fairly sure I invented gasket piracy? I used to scan full gasket sets in to PDF, and if people printed the pdf’s at the same dpi, they’d get 1:1 templates that they could use to cut paper gaskets out for themselves.

This is literally how a lot of aftermarket gasket companies work (presumably with legalese hoops in-between) and why you often get gaskets that look like they'll work perfectly until you try.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well there goes my claim to fame :smith:

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
How does this make any kind of sense?

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/mcy/d/smithsburg-1969-honda-cb-750-sandcast/7449866787.html

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a first year sandcast CB750 with intact factory exhaust.

All of those are extremely rare things.

Not $20K rare in my mind, but still

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sandcast + inflation doubling the price of everything + panicky last gasp boomer hoarding driving up prices even more.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Browsing CL whilst in Phoenix…

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You definitely didn't, I know a guy who's been doing that (except cutting them out himself with one of those automated craft cutting machines) for like 20 years now. Funnily enough it ties in with the former conversation because he got into the gasket business in the 90s when he went to buy one for an old Kawasaki to find the place selling them was going out of business - he started off asking how much it would be to buy their stock of gaskets for each of his bikes then ended up buying their entire stock, flogging them off at autojumbles, when he started getting low on stock he had the foresight to scan the last one of each in and save them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Russian Bear posted:

Browsing CL whilst in Phoenix…

CREPUSCULAR BIKE, only rides during dawn and dusk, like an ocelot

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Local bike shop is knocking 40% off a couple of 2020 Katanas

I just wish the seat wasnt tiny and the switchgear didn't look so Suzuki partsbin, and also that I had $9000 CAD to spare

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hot tip: you never look at the switchgear when cranking a sick wheelie on your 2020 Suzuki Katana

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

In every sense of what word now?

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

In every sense of what word now?

US Air Force get's it: https://www.afrc.af.mil/News/Art/igphoto/2001646552/

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Phy posted:

Local bike shop is knocking 40% off a couple of 2020 Katanas

I just wish the seat wasnt tiny and the switchgear didn't look so Suzuki partsbin, and also that I had $9000 CAD to spare

drat not bad, that's like 4000 US

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:thunk:

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 11, 2022

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

pee batteries is stored in the balls exhaust

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

It has 572 miles on it so I have to assume that means they figured out it requires fuel.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

OmniumOccidental posted:

https://www.af1racing.com/OEM-Aprilia-Coolant-Temperature-Switch-8112939

https://www.af1racing.com/OEM-Aprilia-Fuel-Pump-Wiring-AP8127321

Both are available from AF1 available to ship from Texas within 5-7 days. Also radiator fans on your model are controlled by the ECU and problems are usually the fault of a blown fuse.

You can easily get a new carbon tank for your bike, several passionate companies still make them.

On the other hand, I can't get a new gas tank for my Superhawk, does make Honda parts availability bad? It's an early 2000's bike what are you expecting there?

I would get a new mechanic and browse AF1 if you ever have issues with an APRILIA like this in the future.

The rotax is pretty much bulletproof, but not immune to PO fuckery and incompetent mechanics.

Lol my mechanic is not the problem, the bike has electrical gremlins. The guy is a master mech for ducs and aprilias, he knows his way around it and we both are well aware of AF1 and part compatabilities with Duc/BMW. That was how we fixed the starter clutch on the first bike. Found a bunch of compatible ducati part numbers that were cheaper than aprilia oem. Those parts may be listed like that for shipping speed but it's simply not true-- or it wasn't when we ordered back in November. It took over a month just to get the wiring harness from italy.

Either way it doesn't matter because I am tired of this bike being a sack of poo poo and am ready to pawn it off on someone else once it gets fixed (again). Got me a real italian now.

OmniumOccidental
Feb 27, 2021

Razzled posted:

Lol my mechanic is not the problem, the bike has electrical gremlins. The guy is a master mech for ducs and aprilias, he knows his way around it and we both are well aware of AF1 and part compatabilities with Duc/BMW. That was how we fixed the starter clutch on the first bike. Found a bunch of compatible ducati part numbers that were cheaper than aprilia oem. Those parts may be listed like that for shipping speed but it's simply not true-- or it wasn't when we ordered back in November. It took over a month just to get the wiring harness from italy.

Either way it doesn't matter because I am tired of this bike being a sack of poo poo and am ready to pawn it off on someone else once it gets fixed (again). Got me a real italian now.

Idk man, your experience differs from mine in every way.

Good luck.

Hopefully your next bike isn't hosed around by a PO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I'm psyched- tomorrow I'm going to test ride and maybe buy this '20 Bonnie T120. It's listed on cycletrader at $10k, which seems like a fair price if it's really clean. The guy bought an extended warranty he says can be transferred for $75, but I don't think I'll bite on that.
https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2020-Triumph-BONNEVILLE+T120-5019704290

From the things I've read and watched it sounds like it could be really fun for most of the weekend jaunts I have in mind, minus the narrower roads and switchbacks, and have that little extra...grunt? I think I'm after.