Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

does anyone know if guard break works when you do it with a 2-h weapon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
In your inventory you can view instructions again on how to do things. The "Info" tab.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I have no clue what I'm supposed to be doing and I can't tell if I'm just bad or if the game is telling me not to go that way.

Like with Stormfront Gate, am I supposed to fight my way through it or just run through it with my horse?

:psyduck:

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Played for about 90 minutes. 30 of which making a character in bemused bewilderment, 60 minutes wandering around, missing things, and having yet to settle on a control scheme that doesn't cause me to press the wrong buttons even in 1-on-1 combat.

Don't think I'm used to R/R2 as attack buttons.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Vermain posted:

These two combined made this game completely playable on my ancient-rear end PC, so give them a try if you're struggling.

Yep, and messing with the video settings isn't going to help you unless you are near or below recommended specs or are not "pegging the needle" so to speak at 60fps at any time. If your PC is older then the video settings will help but even on low settings I get the stuttering, but only when playing online.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

jimmydalad posted:

I have no clue what I'm supposed to be doing and I can't tell if I'm just bad or if the game is telling me not to go that way.

Like with Stormfront Gate, am I supposed to fight my way through it or just run through it with my horse?

:psyduck:

Well, the site of grace right in front of the gate is where you get your horse...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
haha so i keep dying maidenless to the beastman in a wolf cave. i put up my summon stone for a break and came back summoned and lmao, the dude i was helpnig was firing off laser beams and had full armor and shields n poo poo, one shotting the wolf and big chunking the boss, while im roiling around with my stupid stump

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

haha so i keep dying maidenless to the beastman in a wolf cave. i put up my summon stone for a break and came back summoned and lmao, the dude i was helpnig was firing off laser beams and had full armor and shields n poo poo, one shotting the wolf and big chunking the boss, while im roiling around with my stupid stump

The trick to that guy is to get a shield and big-dick shield counter him forever

The wolves before him killed me when the game stuttered though, so with that and the crafting being kind of eh I'm forced to give Elden Ring merely a 9/10

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

So does touching bloodstains actually do anything?? :confused: (pc)

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Bee lined to the open world to see if my 12 year old pc could handle it and so far it’s playable. I have the setting all the way down and the shadows are flickering and look like poo poo. Overall it looks like a last gen game on my antiquated rig…but so far so good..?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Game is great so far, although my hundreds of DS3 hours muscle memory is messing with me

I really love the immediate gently caress you area accessible if you picked a specific starting gift, with a fun huge hosed up thing if you make it to the bottom

Do get some bad stutters though in a few specific places/fights so far, regardless of quality settings, with a 3070ti at 1440.

So pretty much normal Fromsoft PC release, they'll really need to do some better optimization patches I think

Popelmon posted:

Man the pc performance is a joke for a game that looks like it was released in 2016, take a cue from Horizon Zero dawn!

Anyway, can't wait to visit every little corner of the world!

This is really funny to me considering the state the PC port of HZD launched in

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

School Nickname posted:

According to some online the game is trying to use integrated graphics. On that advice I went to windows settings > screen > advanced graphical elements > browse > choose EldenRing.exe, select "High Performance" as an option. It improved the fps drops on my end greatly. There are still drops below 50 fps but only when I died which is down to a world transition I assume. The caveat is that I'm on the low preset here, but stuttering did occur on my custom preset which was similar.

I can't find Windows settings > screen

Edit: Wait does that only work on Windows 11

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Logan 5 posted:

This is really funny to me considering the state the PC port of HZD launched in

I mean, yes, but it runs like butter nowadays.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Joan posted:

I can't find Windows settings > screen

right click desktop, display settings, scroll all the way down to graphics settings. you should be able to figure out from there

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
last minute change of character plans

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 25, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Thanks I hate it

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

right click desktop, display settings, scroll all the way down to graphics settings. you should be able to figure out from there

Thanks

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
this deserved its own post

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

gently caress it, packing my bags for New Zealand.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't understand, these npcs aren't chuckling or cackling at me all the time

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I can't wait for them to fix their poo poo because this looks insanely good at a solid 60fps max settings in offline mode.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Khanstant posted:

okay i usually go with trying to make a freaky person but this time i tried to make the beautiful witch from Banjo Kazooie, Gruntilda

beep by grandpa posted:

**Extremely** happy with how cool my hosed up little undead astrologer came out

(Colors are fucky cuz windows 10 doesn't know how to screencap HDR so i tried to fix it up a little bit adding some color saturation but the colors were so flattened to begin with it looks like poo poo compared to in-game, sry)
:kiss: gorgeous

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

this is taking too long

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

God this experience has been weird but fun? This is my first souls game and being thrown in sorta headfirst with not really much of a tutorial or anything was a bit of whiplash. I went for the Astrologer start and have been speccing into Intelligence at the moment. I feel sorta weird fighting the beastman boss by chucking blue orbs at him but I guess it worked? I died so many times. A ridiculous amount of times. I can't tell if it's cause I'm horrible or it's what you're supposed to do.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

The trick to that guy is to get a shield and big-dick shield counter him forever

The wolves before him killed me when the game stuttered though, so with that and the crafting being kind of eh I'm forced to give Elden Ring merely a 9/10

i'll have to go back and try again. I got him down to one more hit, but then I got greedy and died and can't be bothered since I might just die on the way to the level-up place anyway lol. his swings are timed really well to gently caress you if you spam dodge roll, instead of delay for the right moment. but if you keep on him he will use his overhead chop move that lets you get in several good hits.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

jimmydalad posted:

God this experience has been weird but fun? This is my first souls game and being thrown in sorta headfirst with not really much of a tutorial or anything was a bit of whiplash. I went for the Astrologer start and have been speccing into Intelligence at the moment. I feel sorta weird fighting the beastman boss by chucking blue orbs at him but I guess it worked? I died so many times. A ridiculous amount of times. I can't tell if it's cause I'm horrible or it's what you're supposed to do.

If the boss is dead you did it right imo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got murdered a lot by a lovely little gargoyle before turning around and going somewhere else. If I wanted I could have jumped off a cliff for somewhere else even!

Khanstant posted:

i'll have to go back and try again. I got him down to one more hit, but then I got greedy and died and can't be bothered since I might just die on the way to the level-up place anyway lol. his swings are timed really well to gently caress you if you spam dodge roll, instead of delay for the right moment. but if you keep on him he will use his overhead chop move that lets you get in several good hits.

Something I appreciate is that if you always go for a shield counter you'll get owned, because some enemies keep moving, and move to a perfect position to react to your counterattack. A lot of enemies will delay or extend their charge or thrust for you to stop rolling too. It's so good

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

So does touching bloodstains actually do anything?? :confused: (pc)

I'm on PC and bloodstains aren't working for me either

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

KingKapalone posted:

If I'm a FromSoft baby should I go all strong man with big sword or 1-hand/shield? Saw this defense option: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/elden-ring-best-builds or this Paladin: https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Builds

Reposting this since the thread goes so fast. Any build tips for noobs?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
bloodstains dont even work and there's a call of duty compass. i am loving rumbling

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

a kitten posted:

So far so good, but I only barely made it into the open world before I decided I needed to mess with my appearance.

The only issue I've noticed, if it even is one, is that I see bloodstains, but nothing happens when I interact with them :confused: other messages and stuff seem to be working normally though

Spoilers contained, but amidst the 15 tips in this video is a location where you can apparently change your character's appearance after playing the game. 3:15 into the video if time stamp doesn't work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wA9lPsSZNRA

ccubed fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 25, 2022

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

jimmydalad posted:

There is a tutorial in this one

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this game is loving wild and the sheer feeling of wonder when exploring is unparalleled for me that i can think of, or at least for anything recent

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

jimmydalad posted:

Imagine you were taking a poo poo and mid turd release you were teleported to Elden Ring world. You're the character you dunno wtf is going on so kill whatever you can with whatever you can! cause holy poo poo you gonna die otherwise

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

getting a lot of lighting artifacts even with various low settings and I'm not sure if it's my graphics card dying or what

god drat I guess I'm supposed to run past some things

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ahaha new Elden things: I can run away from the boss, wahahaha, see ya later ya big ugly freak!

oh ho ho noo the boss can run away from his hangout spot and chase you down, way down :O

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

*sobbing* I shoved the elden ring up my rear end, tarnished one

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Jesus loving Christ do you really have to run around gathering mats in this poo poo. No more loving crafting in games

👆👆👆👆👆👆 this

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah the crafting and sheer amount of crafting mats everywhere blows, but you can safely just ignore them all. It's only for making consumables

Sorcery and Archery are both extremely good now, wow. You can really easily kill all these early game bosses by running away and shooting them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

skasion posted:

There is a tutorial in this one

There is? I think I missed it?