Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Dark Souls 2 came out during a console generation transition (which probably lead to some of the issues with the lighting) and SotFS was partly a reason to release Bone/PS4 versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In The Force Unleashed I've got to the infamous section where you pull a Star Destroyer down to the planet's surface. It's a cool idea, but the Tie Fighters make it a nightmare.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Read After Burning posted:

What's improved, combat-wise?

I dunno, I haven't played the first one since it came out so I don't remember any of the details but it just feels better to fight in now regardless. Snake style is a fun new style to play around with.

One big improvement is that mortal wounds are gone. They still do attacks like them but you can deflect and counter them as long as you dodge and it doesn't even cost any Heat to do so.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

BioEnchanted posted:

In The Force Unleashed I've got to the infamous section where you pull a Star Destroyer down to the planet's surface. It's a cool idea, but the Tie Fighters make it a nightmare.

I played the entire game up to that point and just gave up. I really enjoyed the game, but that got ridiculous.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

RareAcumen posted:

One big improvement is that mortal wounds are gone.

Oh, thank god.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rockman Reserve posted:

This is only tangential to the conversation but what exactly is the story with DS2: SotFS? Is it just like a directors’ cut or something since (I think) the original Dark Souls team was busy with Bloodborne during DS2’s development? What was the impetus for an entirely new game version?

Ds2 had a troubled production. Basically the first director was overly ambitious and ended up getting pulled off the project partway through, and DS2 was largely cobbled together from existing assets IIRC. All of the DLC and the story changes/new ending were patched into the original DS2 (also referred to as SotFS confusingly) but the main thing is that SotFS has remixed enemy and item placements and runs DX11

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

kazil posted:

"a bit faster" is really underselling it lol

It's really not. BB as compared to DS1 sure but BB isn't significantly harder than 1 because it's balanced for it. It's not like only the enemies are faster. DS3 is clearly influenced by BB but your character moves faster and more fluently than in 1.

Saying the DS series is some super hard series for tryhards only is demonstrably wrong. Harder than your average game, sure. But most of the time dying is your own fault and something you should learn from. Once you learn the language the games are surprisingly chill.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

youknowthatoneguy posted:

I played the entire game up to that point and just gave up. I really enjoyed the game, but that got ridiculous.

I beat it btw. The trick turned out to be to use lightning on the tie fighters, and don't be greedy. When the fighters are approaching, stop pulling the ship and concentrate on smashing them instead. Then reorient and pull the ship more. It doesn't really go back UP, it more just starts rotating so the only part you have to do again is reorienting it. The Proxy fight was awesome though halfway through that level where after you fight his other forms that you've seen before as other bosses, he pulls out a character that Starkiller's never heard of before, and you are suddenly fighting Darth Maul, the music even changes to Duel of the Fates. That was really great.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

In my opinion, our Souls are tight and well rounded, but also full of poo poo

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Boss health bullshit in Borderlands games! Like i just mowed down a dungeon full of mooks to get to Wilhelm. I dont want to grt him down to 10% HP and die to a stray mook, then respawn and have to do the whole thing again without getting any of my ammo back.

Oh, your one shock weapon is out of ammo? Guess you're gonna have to whittle him down the old fashioned way :smugissar:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

D34THROW posted:

Boss health bullshit in Borderlands games! Like i just mowed down a dungeon full of mooks to get to Wilhelm. I dont want to grt him down to 10% HP and die to a stray mook, then respawn and have to do the whole thing again without getting any of my ammo back.

Oh, your one shock weapon is out of ammo? Guess you're gonna have to whittle him down the old fashioned way :smugissar:

The Claptrap dlc for the Pre-Sequel is fun until you get to the final boss of it which is just a giant flying Claptrap that has so much health it is completely ridiculous.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Enemies in Forbidden West have so much dang hp. Now this is mostly my fault since I'm playing on Very Hard - I like the challenge that comes with knowing even a small group of robo raptors can wreck my poo poo and having to plan appropriately. But some things take foreverrrrr to take down, even when exploiting weaknesses.

Now, at the moment I'm just working with fully-upgraded green and partially-upgraded blue weapons. I assume things get quicker when I get the good poo poo, but just taking down one of those bellowbacks, repeatedly striking it's weaknesses, that just took ages.

(Good thing, however, is the much more gradual power curve, as opposed to the 'go to this one city and get the best poo poo asap' from the first game)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I am also playing the game on Very Hard. Enemies feel really tanky at first and it takes time to soften them up, but once you start getting access to all elemental types, they’ll start to go down quickly. The Powershot valor surge combined with the spike thrower turns your spears into long range ICBMs. If I could do it over I would have gotten a weapon with purgewater earlier (nullifies most elemental attacks) and invested more in melee early because critical strikes are good.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Haven't even played it yet, but it's dumb and makes no sense that PC players in the US can play Elden Ring now, but console players have to arbitrarily wait till midnight Eastern. And, at least on PS5, just changing region to, say, NZ doesn't help, though it might in XBox?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Haven't even played it yet, but it's dumb and makes no sense that PC players in the US can play Elden Ring now, but console players have to arbitrarily wait till midnight Eastern. And, at least on PS5, just changing region to, say, NZ doesn't help, though it might in XBox?

Sony console-havers got Bloodborne so we have to wait a little longer for Elden Ring. It's only fair.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

D34THROW posted:

The fight for your life system is pretty fun...

...in multiplayer.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DrBouvenstein posted:

If it helps you feel better apparently the PC release runs like butt. Which multiple reviewers noted (including one person outright saying it was unplayable for them), but for some reason never docked points for.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think the original port of Dark Souls 1 to the pc was pretty terrible as well. If I remember there even needed to be a fan made patch that FromSoft eventually made official. When asked about it they said " sorry, we've never made a pc game before".

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Cleretic posted:

If it helps you feel better apparently the PC release runs like butt. Which multiple reviewers noted (including one person outright saying it was unplayable for them), but for some reason never docked points for.

The Nintendo Response™

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I think the original port of Dark Souls 1 to the pc was pretty terrible as well. If I remember there even needed to be a fan made patch that FromSoft eventually made official. When asked about it they said " sorry, we've never made a pc game before".

There was a fan-made patch that fixed the 30 fps cap which was released within a couple of weeks, there was also a fan patch that made the multiplayer co-op reliable to a minimally acceptable degree. Neither of these was ever integrated into the official release, despite their ostensible simplicity.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Jesus Christ, the Elden Ring thread is on loving fire right now. I can't remember the last time I've seen a thread move that fast and it's even spilling over into this one. I know it's launch day but holy poo poo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bushmaori posted:

There was a fan-made patch that fixed the 30 fps cap which was released within a couple of weeks, there was also a fan patch that made the multiplayer co-op reliable to a minimally acceptable degree. Neither of these was ever integrated into the official release, despite their ostensible simplicity.

And would you believe Elden Ring's situation is actually worse, despite them having more experience now? Consistent framerate drops (which I'd call well worse than a low cap, at least you can get used to that), a noticeable amount of reported crashes. For all the Souls ports' problems, at least they ran consistently.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Even crazier: the day one patch made performance WORSE by many accounts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yma9dJRAlo4

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm glad everyone is enjoying Diablo 3. :)

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Cleretic posted:

And would you believe Elden Ring's situation is actually worse, despite them having more experience now? Consistent framerate drops (which I'd call well worse than a low cap, at least you can get used to that), a noticeable amount of reported crashes. For all the Souls ports' problems, at least they ran consistently.

As I matter of fact I'm believing it right now

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

RareAcumen posted:

I'm glad everyone is enjoying Diablo 3. :)

I love Arkham Knight

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Philippe posted:

I love Arkham Knight

I'm glad No Man's Sky was everything that people hoped it would be.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

A fairly minor but surprisingly aggravating thing about Elden Ring: The automatic camera control. Basically every time you move sideways relative to where you're looking, the game will automatically turn the camera in the same direction. That's not uncommon in many games, but Elden Ring's implementation feels particularly aggressive, either in the turn rate or in the way it counteracts your manual camera control. As a result, it's surprisingly annoying when you're trying to actually circle strafe something, as you're constantly fighting the automatic camera trying to turn into the opposite direction of the one you want. Against single enemies it's not a big deal when you can target lock them, but when you're trying to fight several enemies, do mounted combat, or just navigate the world it's a constant low-grade annoyance.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I've started playing Dying Light 2: European Boogaloo, and while it's pretty good, I'm annoyed at the amount of American voice actors. The last game took place in an ambigiuously Middle-Eastern city, and everyone had an accent to match. But there are no vaguely French guys in Villedor (city of gold, very subtle guys, nice), except your mentor guy, only generic American accents. Boo, I say.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Really, really bad American accents.

Like everything else in DL2, it's a half assed effort.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

youknowthatoneguy posted:

:same: Dropped it like a hot potato after what felt like hours of failure at that stupid bit

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Every drat From game including Elden Ring: no "quit to desktop" button. And the game bitches at you next time you star it up if you alt-f4 so either way you're spending more time than you should to turn off the game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

The Moon Monster posted:

Every drat From game including Elden Ring: no "quit to desktop" button. And the game bitches at you next time you star it up if you alt-f4 so either way you're spending more time than you should to turn off the game.

What! gently caress you, game.

What does it say?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I wish From would make another Armored Core.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

My god this first room in The Force Unleashed's final level is unnecessarily hard. It just completely swarms you with enemies of all levels right from the get go so on the way to the rafters to take out the two snipers an ATST will throw a box at you to knock you off the platform, there are a ton of the robot guys, then a swarm of the little guys with the electric shields that can really hurt if you aren't careful plus TOO MANY robot guys who spawn in one the two ATSTs are down. It's ludicrous. I've levelled up twice just dying here.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Monopoly is a pretty near-perfect game. It has simple rules, the progression of property value/rent is perfectly scaled. It is mostly luck-based but with enough interaction and meta strategy that it isn't. What brings Monopoly down is when people don't know how to play the loving game, or the banker is slow, or people aren't getting ready for their turn. A good game of Monopoly is fast. People complain that Monopoly is too slow and goes on too long -- yeah that game loving sucks if it's slow and long. It shouldn't be. It should be loving blazing fast. You throw your dice, you fuckin move your dude, and you pass the dice. Everything is scaled; the math isn't hard. Can you so simple arithmetic and divide by ten? That's the only math you need to know in this game. The only pause in gameplay should be when someone says "I have this property for sale; I'll trade it for that; no? Okay."

Turns in Monopoly should have a four-second clock and you should pay a fine for every extra second your turn takes.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I have loving hated droidekas in every loving game I have seen them in too.

credburn posted:

Monopoly is a pretty near-perfect game. It has simple rules, the progression of property value/rent is perfectly scaled. It is mostly luck-based but with enough interaction and meta strategy that it isn't. What brings Monopoly down is when people don't know how to play the loving game, or the banker is slow, or people aren't getting ready for their turn. A good game of Monopoly is fast. People complain that Monopoly is too slow and goes on too long -- yeah that game loving sucks if it's slow and long. It shouldn't be. It should be loving blazing fast. You throw your dice, you fuckin move your dude, and you pass the dice. Everything is scaled; the math isn't hard. Can you so simple arithmetic and divide by ten? That's the only math you need to know in this game. The only pause in gameplay should be when someone says "I have this property for sale; I'll trade it for that; no? Okay."

Turns in Monopoly should have a four-second clock and you should pay a fine for every extra second your turn takes.

Monopoly is literally my favorite board game ever and I despise house rules. I have spent literal hours studying Monopoly theory and have never lost a simulated game where I follow the simple rule of "focus on the oranges and pinks".

D34THROW has a new favorite as of 19:49 on Feb 25, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

D34THROW posted:

I have loving hated droidekas in every loving game I have seen them in too.

I meant the Purge Troopers, Force Unleashed doesn't have Droidekas.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

credburn posted:

What! gently caress you, game.

What does it say?

You don't get a message, you are instantly dropped in a boss fight with this gigantic mole that is dressed like a miner and screeches at you.

It's pretty weird!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

Similarly for the console version it's annoying that From still hasn't done anything to make the suspend and resume function work with the game. It still kicks you right back to the menu when you start back up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Mierenneuker posted:

You don't get a message, you are instantly dropped in a boss fight with this gigantic mole that is dressed like a miner and screeches at you.

It's pretty weird!

ARBITER OF TIME, ITTESER RETSIM