Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I started with Warrior and while it was fun early on hand to hand is largely pointless against the bigger robots you start to go up against at mid-game

But on the other hand nothing feels better than smashing someone and then immediately killing them with a Resonator blast, plus the rare opportunities when you fight a bunch of humans you just rip and tear through them like paper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Wow playing this game on acid is really something :wth:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Horizon AcidinGest

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cactus posted:

Wow playing this game on acid is really something :wth:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is there a killer robot raptor in your house?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Beat it, just in time for another huge open world game! I enjoyed the ending sequence much more than the first game and Advanced Explosive Spikes clowned the final challenges so hard.

End of story stuff The franchise is Mass Effect now, huh? We'll see how the third game turns out lmao

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

I started with Warrior and while it was fun early on hand to hand is largely pointless against the bigger robots you start to go up against at mid-game

But on the other hand nothing feels better than smashing someone and then immediately killing them with a Resonator blast, plus the rare opportunities when you fight a bunch of humans you just rip and tear through them like paper

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GKd0FRSwOZg

This guy seems to have figured out the right skills and tactics to make melee extremely powerful even against large machines.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You definitely want all the useful abilities in Hunter and enough in Infiltrator for the sharpshot weapon skills, but if I could start over, I'd put more points into Warrior early. Resonator blast is quite good against human enemies and getting a knockdown at the right time can be a real lifesaver.

Also I'd get the food duration buffs. Food is OP in this game, and IRL.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Are there any Base Allies gated behind side quests? I thought Talanah might be one but it doesn’t appear so after completing those quests.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It has been a hot minute since Zero Dawn, but did that game mention about what happened to the cats and dogs? Civilizations rise and fall but the one constant through history is humanity dotting their kitty cats and doggos.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm having a ton of fun going around finding all the vista points, I forgot how satisfying those are as connections to the old world, and how interesting/funny the writeups and comments can be.

Also, I love the fact that they're centered on ancient cell towers, especially the one that's still disguised as a tree :buddy:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Jimbot posted:

It has been a hot minute since Zero Dawn, but did that game mention about what happened to the cats and dogs? Civilizations rise and fall but the one constant through history is humanity dotting their kitty cats and doggos.

Scrappers ate them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jimbot posted:

Domesticated animals would have presumably been part of the Phase 3 organisms Apollo-educated humans would have introduced back into the world while phasing out the machines, that obviously didn't happen, so the world remains dystopianly catless and dogless.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Presumably ARTEMIS never got the chance, or didn’t create them because they aren’t part of a balanced ecosystem.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jimbot posted:

Presumably their dna is still stored somewhere waiting for the repopulation of the world's animals to continue, but there's a few problems they're gonna have to work out first.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Domesticated animals would have presumably been part of the Phase 3 organisms Apollo-educated humans would have introduced back into the world while phasing out the machines, that obviously didn't happen, so the world remains dystopianly catless and dogless.

Ted Faro truly is history's greatest monster.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Went into the mountains and encountered a goddamn fire Clawstrider. gently caress that noise. :gonk:

Also there are side quests with actual moral choices now, that's pretty cool.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like I've finally wrapped my head around the fact that FW really wants players to take advantage of element weaknesses and breaking parts, to the point where just stacking on tear/dps like ZD encouraged is largely a waste. That said, if I'm expected to swap around my gear this much to tackle specific enemies it would be much easier if there was a loadout system! Hope Horizon 3 or whatever includes this, or it's patched in for the DLC or something!

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 25, 2022

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A loadout system would be really nice yeah. I already use many of the same mental energies as in monster hunter, take it a step further!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I've said before this game does not need a loot system. One of each weapon type and you unlock different elements as you upgrade it that you can swap out whenever you wish. This game, while I like it a ton, is the most 00's open world game made in the last seven years. Real "let's throw everything at the wall and see what sticks, which will be everything because nothing will get culled and the bloat will continue onward" design philosophy. Fewer systems, lot less collecting and loot, a melee system that doesn't require pausing between attacks (because the animations is too elaborate and long). Some of the best weapons aren't introduced to you at all and have to be sought out, then there's no proceeding fight to showcase how the weapon is used.

Less is more and if there's a sequel I hope they learn this because as much as I like this franchise, the amount of crap in this game is breaking my tolerance limits for this sort of thing. I just want want a same old with a new coat of paint, which is this game to a T.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I just want to say: the sidequest Signal Spike was one of the most well-acted and sincerely delivered performances I think I've ever seen in a game. That it was just a side-quest that I might not have even stumbled upon, is just gravy.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Cactus posted:

I just want to say: the sidequest Signal Spike was one of the most well-acted and sincerely delivered performances I think I've ever seen in a game. That it was just a side-quest that I might not have even stumbled upon, is just gravy.

When I climbed up to the top of the mountain by the base, it was nighttime so my glide down afterwards was still pretty but it could've been prettier

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cactus posted:

I had the exact same thought, it's both really strong writing/acting and an example of how interesting the backstory is that I just instantly dropped my current plans and went through that when I ran into it.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

"Two Stars" A Rollerback and x3 Spikesnoot. Like constantly being knocked down by wide sweeping attacks and having to worry about an enemy that can attack the entire arena?

What level do they expect people to do these arena fights? I bumped the difficulty down to Story for these.

Edit: Looks like probably max level with fully upgraded gear and the best gear, at that. Tier 2 has you fight against two Grimhorns that you have to beat in 1:30. Right.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 25, 2022

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Klungar posted:

Are there any Base Allies gated behind side quests? I thought Talanah might be one but it doesn’t appear so after completing those quests.

Nope. All of them are added as part of the main questline.

Also, somewhat related, when the point of no return message pops, the only things that actually get locked off are the four companion sidequests. Everything else can still be completed even after the credits roll.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lakbay posted:

Beat it, just in time for another huge open world game! I enjoyed the ending sequence much more than the first game and Advanced Explosive Spikes clowned the final challenges so hard.

End of story stuff The franchise is Mass Effect now, huh? We'll see how the third game turns out lmao

At the end of the third game, Aloy will be asked if she wants to control, destroy or merge with the machines.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Horizon 3

featuring

Metal Mange

Ferrous Flapper

Pyro Paw

Screw Pizzle

Hedge Cog

Wire Wiggler

Forkuspine

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Bugblatter posted:

Nope. All of them are added as part of the main questline.

Also, somewhat related, when the point of no return message pops, the only things that actually get locked off are the four companion sidequests. Everything else can still be completed even after the credits roll.

Four? I’ve done Land Gods, Metal Arm, Leviathan, what am I missing? Does Beta have one at some point?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Horizon 3

featuring

Metal Mange

Ferrous Flapper

Pyro Paw

Screw Pizzle

Hedge Cog

Wire Wiggler

Forkuspine

I'm onboard with this

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
really hope we one day get a sylens spin off game.

i love aloy but it'd be cool to play as someone wayyyyyyyyyyyy more ruthless

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Codependent Poster posted:

At the end of the third game, Aloy will be asked if she wants to control, destroy or merge with the machines.

You son of a loving bitch. Don’t put this out there, you fool!

Finished the game just now! Ready for Elden Ring! ENDING SPOILERS AHEAD

The final mission / gauntlet was… ok. I didn’t care much for the Spectres. Erik was a piece of a poo poo of a fight in very hard. Used up the bulk of my potions and healing to get through it. Just wasn’t fun how reliant on perfect iframe dodging it was. Spectre Prime on the other hand felt… fine? Loaded it with acid then threw all the loving spikes I could at it. Attacks were good, melee/close spam was minimal. Died once. Overall the final mission in terms of gameplay gets a C+. It didn’t have much variety so you didn’t really get to push the elemental systems or weapon types.

Story wise, though? YEAH BOY WE GOING ALL OUT ON THIS SPACE poo poo. The Nemesis reveal, although it had no payoff, was fun. Aloy getting stuck with now cleaning Far Zenith’s bullshit tracks. Sylens staying is good. And we now have a brand new base to play with! And a loving space station! There’s so many directions the story can go. Sure 90% of them are terrible but I think Guerilla has shown enough confidence to pull off a third game. I would have loved to have a little more companions/combat dynamics throughout the game. Tilda didn’t really work for me but her character was fine? It’s a bit of an odd ending where you end with this hopeful tone and Aloy is definitely in a MUCH better place but you still have this impending doom hanging in space.

I’d love to see what they do for DLC and ultimately for HZD3. It feels like at this point visiting the other continents will almost certainly be a thing. Between the Odyssey, the Quen, and a now restored Gaia it almost feels like it’s happening. Have ZD3 or The DLC be the recapture of Hephaestus and go from there to set up the rest of the world to deal with Nemesis.

Did HZD have NG+? when I come back to this game I’m undecided if I want to fish for trophies in easy just to be done with them or if I should wait for any DLC and/or additional difficulty to give the game a 2nd run.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

While 95% of the game is great, I really hate the levels where I have to find the precise points to jump and where a grappling hook spot is. Just an annoying way to pad play time on to a game.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Did HZD have NG+?

Yes, was added post-launch

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Guddamn, The Sea of Sands in its entirety was awesome.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’d love to see what they do for DLC and ultimately for HZD3. It feels like at this point visiting the other continents will almost certainly be a thing. Between the Odyssey, the Quen, and a now restored Gaia it almost feels like it’s happening. Have ZD3 or The DLC be the recapture of Hephaestus and go from there to set up the rest of the world to deal with Nemesis.

Regarding future DLC: Guerilla have left a lot of hooks, like the ones you mentioned above. An expansion/DLC that combined some of these elements would be amazing.
HEPHAESTUS has been the most slippery AI they've had to deal with, so dedicating an entire campaign to its recapture makes sense. I mean, you were sort of introduced to it in HZD's DLC, so it would be fitting to close out with another DLC. You could roll in the Quen by having HEPHAESTUS just abandon North America entirely to get out of Team GAIA's reach, so you'll have to take a shuttle up to the Odyssey and fly down to the Yangtze Delta or wherever the Quen Empire is (and beam down a copy of the APOLLO database to HQ while you're at it). When you arrive oh look, the Quen are the Carja of Asia and there's some political turmoil that you'll have to sort out before the Board of Overseers will let you use their systems to trap HEPHAESTUS, much to Aloy's eye-rolling and chagrin. God, dealing with an empire that's a cargo-cult corporation would be hilarious and infuriating.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
While tracking down a scanner module, I ran into a rollerback and 3 lancehorns that weren't marked on the map, which was great because I needed a bunch of their parts, especially rollerback, so I killed them but I fast traveled away and when I came back, it had become a plowhorn site?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

While tracking down a scanner module, I ran into a rollerback and 3 lancehorns that weren't marked on the map, which was great because I needed a bunch of their parts, especially rollerback, so I killed them but I fast traveled away and when I came back, it had become a plowhorn site?

It’s likely a convoy. Convoys of machines will follow a path and can randomly be found. It consists of a transport type machine, and can be accompanied by various others.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Bugblatter posted:

Untrue! You can still do all four of them after the ending. you just need to talk to your companions where they hang out now.

Klungar posted:

Four? I’ve done Land Gods, Metal Arm, Leviathan, what am I missing? Does Beta have one at some point?

Erend has a personal quest. Go do some rebel camps!

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Has anyone made a list of all the resources That you shouldn't sell because they can be traded for other resources or used in upgrades but the game does not have them marked as such? Alpha hearts, Pristine skulls, pristine teeth and so on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I figured out how to get the remote play app to work. So now I'm doing a fresh start on very hard, playing on my PC and streaming to my friends :kimchi:

It's real rough early on, the scavenger dogs one shot me but I'm taking my time more and checking out the hunting grounds, which incidentally gave me a shock war bow and you can overcharge the battery packs on the dogs? I wish I'd known all this stuff the first time around, but I'm excited to rely a lot more on specific tools and fighting smarter. I still think the crazy damage on this difficulty is gonna suck while fighting tougher enemies though, dodging is very reliant on getting it perfect.