Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

PeterWeller posted:

Only Paul's reptilian head will hatch out and the rest of the cocoon is gonna morph into a sacred dodecahedron.

Honestly, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I am thankful for the writers of this show and their seemingly endless supply of hallucinigens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Gonz posted:

Honestly, I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I am thankful for the writers of this show and their seemingly endless supply of hallucinigens.

The acid ocean symbolizes the ocean of acid they consumed.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

The acid ocean symbolizes the ocean of acid they consumed.

I fully expect the season finale to be some sort of large scale conflict and then the SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT heads appear in the sky.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The trust is arming Mother so she can fight the most ancient evil of all time: Rick Sanchez

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Campion vs. DJ Snake Paul in a freestyle synthesizer battle

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Was the acidphibian that attacks Robogirl something we knew about beforehand? Or is it one of those things that we just accept as part of the MilkSnakeShow

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

angerbeet posted:

Was the acidphibian that attacks Robogirl something we knew about beforehand? Or is it one of those things that we just accept as part of the MilkSnakeShow

The second option

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

angerbeet posted:

It's an extension on the lore concerning the native creatures from season one.

I wonder why there aren't any of them in the tropical zone itself.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I took it as a reveal of what probably yanked those atheists into the acid ocean

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Time for a new episode of MEEMAW, PEP PEP AND THE SNAKEBOI.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Yo, I heard you like leeches, so I got you some hallucinated leeches to go with the reptile cocoon.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I have resigned myself to the fact that we will never be given the answers to any questions on this show. I’m still gonna watch it, though. Every single episode until it’s done.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
the real world doesn't have mysteries either. if I'm some Chinese bureaucrat who gets appointed to cover vietnam in the middle ages there is no deep mystery to why the jungle wants to kill me. it just.soes. malaria doesn't have a plot line that connects it to crocodiles and king cobras.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I love this show. It's batshit insane and somehow has a budget, kinda like the FX Legion series.

Anyone remember an old scifi show called Earth 2? It was the kinder gentler mid-90s basic cable version of this.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't that the show that had Tim Curry reprising his role as Frank-N-Furter while communicating with the gleeblie aliens?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Marcus breaking the fourth wall to be one of the audience: "WHAT THE gently caress!?"

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

So, uh the guy Ragnar woke up, we reckon he was intelligent? The acid mermen seem to have some animal level intelligence. The guy Ragnar woke up seemed to have human eyes and was wearing clothes and snakeskin. I found it hard to tell what was going on in that sequence, he morphed into one of the dumb aliens and Ragner blew its head off?

I wonder if we'll see faceless the android girl again or if she'll just disappear into countryside. I'd guess the atheists will pick Ragnar as leader when he returns because he does take the lead and they haven't tried that themselves in some time.

I don't get why the trust tried to turn people into snakes. They probably have an endless variety of bioweapons they could have manufactured that had seen use on earth and they choose to make a local bioweapon?

I also didn't really get why Mother is loving with the glasses guy. I could see her putting him in jail like the Mithraic or just outright killing him but keeping him in the torture room and messing with his sense of identity via torture seems like an unusual move for her. Spite or revenge for her feels like its more or less an immediate and final reaction

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 24, 2022

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Goofballs posted:

So, uh the guy Ragnar woke up, we reckon he was intelligent? The acid mermen seem to have some animal level intelligence. The guy Ragnar woke up seemed to have human eyes and was wearing clothes and snakeskin. I found it hard to tell what was going on in that sequence, he morphed into one of the dumb aliens and Ragner blew its head off?

Yeah that was confusing even for this show. But then I thought he was going to eat his eyes.

Goofballs posted:

I also didn't really get why Mother is loving with the glasses guy. I could see her putting him in jail like the Mithraic or just outright killing him but keeping him in the torture room and messing with his sense of identity via torture seems like an unusual move for her. Spite or revenge for her feels like its more or less an immediate and final reaction

Not revenge, she is desperate for the antidote and going Jack Bauer, Mother-style.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Goofballs posted:

[spoiler] So, uh the guy Ragnar woke up, we reckon he was intelligent? The acid mermen seem to have some animal level intelligence. The guy Ragnar woke up seemed to have human eyes and was wearing clothes and snakeskin. I found it hard to tell what was going on in that sequence, he morphed into one of the dumb aliens and Ragner blew its head off?

my theory is that the planet already got colonized a super long time before and that they had their own trust-like supercomputer (which still function and is "sol") and androids running the show with a mandate of "finding a way to make humanity (or whoever the gently caress these people were) survive in this shithole" and the solution they found was to create artificial biological agents to "evolve" these people into a lifeform adapted to the planet which turned them into those acid water resistant goblins and mission accomplished i guess, and ragnar basically just contaminated the guy with said biological agent (why the guy was still alive or got resurrected in the process wtf knows)

of course it could also just be a time loop because why not

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long
My half baked theory is that Sol is a kind advanced alien parasite that spreads across planets by infecting intelligent life with religion. What happened on the current planet is the same as what happened on Earth except this time one side invented a kind of biological weapon that turns everyone into mermen. I don't know how space snakes fit into this theory though.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Rollos posted:

My half baked theory is that Sol is a kind advanced alien parasite that spreads across planets by infecting intelligent life with religion. What happened on the current planet is the same as what happened on Earth except this time one side invented a kind of biological weapon that turns everyone into mermen. I don't know how space snakes fit into this theory though.

Campbell argues that life eats life. That we live by killing. But a lamprey lives without killing by being a pure parasite.

I think you are reifying the text. This show is either entirely literal (in which case there is no text beyond 'reality' and reality is arbitrary and weird) or entirely metaphorical so it's like "snake is innocent from eden we are reclaiming satan because Shelley". "Sol is a planet jumping parasite" is some weird lagrange point between those two perspectives that doesn't really work.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol at them just cutting to Paul being perfectly fine.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Zlodo posted:

my theory is that the planet already got colonized a super long time before and that they had their own trust-like supercomputer (which still function and is "sol") and androids running the show with a mandate of "finding a way to make humanity (or whoever the gently caress these people were) survive in this shithole" and the solution they found was to create artificial biological agents to "evolve" these people into a lifeform adapted to the planet which turned them into those acid water resistant goblins and mission accomplished i guess, and ragnar basically just contaminated the guy with said biological agent (why the guy was still alive or got resurrected in the process wtf knows)

this is good

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i don't have a loving clue as to what's going on

what are these seeds that everyone is talking about now?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Goofballs posted:

Maybe he’s actually Campion, her “creator,” reprogrammed and reskinned by The Trust, and she assumes this is what he’d want.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Vitruvian Manic posted:

"Sol is a planet jumping parasite" is some weird lagrange point between those two perspectives that doesn't really work.

Says you. Seems no less weird than anything else, and would just be another instance of “life eats life.”

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

CODChimera posted:

i don't have a loving clue as to what's going on

what are these seeds that everyone is talking about now?

The dodecahedron that was just laying at the base of that one giant tree for Campion and Paul to discover. Paul brought it back to camp, Campion ratted him out to Mother, it was given over to the Trust.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Doctor Jeep posted:

this is good

It’s pretty much what I suggested here around the start of S2:

The Mithraic religion resulted from detection of an ancient-FTL-relay-delivered SETI signal claiming to be a god. This event divided our world into the Mithraists, who believe what it says about itself and worship it, and the Atheists who don’t regardless of their overall stance on the general existence of deities. (I propose an FTL relay since the series isn’t set far enough in the future for Sol to have encountered radio signals from Earth otherwise. This would also enable its discoverers to “converse” with Sol, which would explain the rapid adoption of the religion.)

Sol really gets its hooks into the Mithraists by telling them how to find some artifacts from when it managed to uplift some Neanderthals and get them to develop technology and come help it or something. Of course it doesn’t tell them the latter part, just “I have previously visited your world, here’s where and how to find proof.” Maybe it even got the Neanderthals by visiting Earth using some of its last large-scale physical assets, and the mermen got to Kepler 22b the same way before or after our cousins, which is why we had to go to it rather than have it get us.

Sol provided “scriptures” tailored to our species’ tendencies by analyzing Earth broadcasts, scriptures that also contained very convenient information on ultra-advanced technology (Necromancers, FTL travel—Kepler 22b is 587 light years away from Earth but the trip took 12 years of realtime, either the ships traveled at high relativistic velocities or used FTL), and says to convert everyone they can and kill anyone who presents a threat to it won’t convert, and bring as many of the best converted as possible to Paradise Kepler 22b to rebuild its technological infrastructure so it can escape its breaking-down planetary-scale prison build a golden city on the hill full of wonder bathed in His light and free from contrary thought.

Sol was probably severely disabled but not fully destroyed after a long war with its creators a million years prior, which devastated the surface of Kepler 22b, and since then it’s been preying on other species and trying to get back on its metaphorical feet. Maybe our species is its last best hope since we were a few hundred years out from its own tech level without its help and it wanted to avoid competition.

OK, I’ve definitely thought about this more now than the showrunners have… Keeps my mind off the pandemic and Ukraine at least.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

eschaton posted:

OK, I’ve definitely thought about this more now than the showrunners have… Keeps my mind off the pandemic and Ukraine at least.

Ya, some good speculation there though I will say that the showrunners are certainly imaginative so compared to other shows I dare say that they might have actually thought about it a lot. Whether or not they can pull off to weave everything together in a satisfying manner remains to be seen but I do enjoy the journey so far.
Usually I'm not even a fan of SciFi that focuses that heavily on religious themes but I have to give the show credit for how its done and there are plenty of good performances in this show. I knew from Vikings that Travis Fimmel was perfect for this kind of character (Marcus) and Niamh Algar (Sue) has been a positive surprise for me. I didn't know the actress before but I really like her in this.
I guess I probably don't even need to praise Amanda Collin and Abubakar Salim as Mother/Father as everyone is already a fan of them. :allears:
Even the kids in the show are "okay". Nothing exceptional but they are bearable which is a high bar to cross for most shows.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

LinkesAuge posted:

Even the kids in the show are "okay". Nothing exceptional but they are bearable which is a high bar to cross for most shows.

Yeah, this has been a nice surprise in season 2. I liked Paul from the start, but found precocious, smug little Campion super annoying in the first season. I don't know if he's mellowed out, or if the actor just aged into the character a little, or they're giving him better direction, but I actually like Campion now.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the things that happen on this show are so absurd. thats what makes it good, god knows I'm not interested in any of these characters besides mother and father

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

eschaton posted:

The dodecahedron that was just laying at the base of that one giant tree for Campion and Paul to discover. Paul brought it back to camp, Campion ratted him out to Mother, it was given over to the Trust.

ahh okay thanks.

so Sol wants those planted and he wanted the snake. but why?

Red Fructidor
Jan 8, 2004

lynch_69 posted:

Anyone remember an old scifi show called Earth 2? It was the kinder gentler mid-90s basic cable version of this.

I had the same thought recently- the weird other intelligent species being introduced, the separate groups of colonists, the planet with a vascular system all ring a bell

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I just realised that there's another dude transforming into a Snake out there, somewhere.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think that guy is just dead.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't get why -- both he and Paul experienced the same bioweapon attack, so surely he's still transforming?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the idea was that the other guy was still getting exposed to the thing while they took Paul outside so things probably got worse for him.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

I just want to know when the xenomorphs and Prometheus engineers show up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I mean, we kind of got an engineer this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Marcus breaking the fourth wall to be one of the audience: "WHAT THE gently caress!?"

Great episode! Couldn't stop laughing the entire time