Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I'm honestly stunned right now tbh

THIS is the great threat to NATO? An army that sells off its own equipment and can't seem to have its rank and file surrender fast enough, doing dumb poo poo BLACK OPS ELITE MISSION BOYZ getting clobbered by National guard units, and can't even do the basic check of "Gee does the enemy still have AA? Whatever send in the planes!"

The loving TAIL of a transport plane just FELL off in Russian airspace if that report is true

What a loving joke. If they didn"t have nuclear capabilities this would be a laughably easy assist by NATO to Ukraine.

More like Paper Bear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Any further news on how exactly the EU and the US are planning on providing more military equipment?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Telsa Cola posted:

Any further news on how exactly the EU and the US are planning on providing more military equipment?

US has been intentionally ambiguous about it, and there are no EU details as of yet.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

THIS is the great threat to NATO? An army that sells off its own equipment and can't seem to have it's rank and file surrender fast enough, doing dumb poo poo BLACK OPS ELITE MISSION BOYZ getting clobbered by National guard units, and can't even do the basic check of "Gee does the enemy still have AA? Whatever send in the planes!"

The loving TAIL of a transport plane just FELL off in Russian airspace if that report is true

What a loving joke. If they didn"t have nuclear capabilities this would be a laughably easy assist by NATO to Ukraine.

More like Paper Bear

The paradox of unrealized power isn't something Putin has had to really contend with.

But it's far from over, unfortunately. I just want to wake up to my friends, family, and students that I taught to being alive.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Thiis whole thing seems just... utterly chaotic and slapped together

The main objective seems to be Kyiv but holy poo poo you are going to bumrush a heavily fortified and vast city with massive tunnels, while you bypass the rest of the country's armed forces and expect them not to retaliate

This isn't a video game, Putin you moron

They're expecting less resistance and lower morale, I imagine. It all makes perfect sense if you assume that Ukrainian troops will stop fighting once Zelensky is gone, the puppet regime orders them to stand down, and it becomes clear that they're cut off. I mean, we basically watched the Afghan forces melt away last year when the US left and they found out that the Afghan President had already fled (with a big pot of cash). If you think Euromaidan was US-instigated and the Zelensky administration is propped up only by foreign interference, then you might think Ukrainians would act as Afghans did, and go into accommodation/acceptance mode instead of keeping fighting. But there's a difference between "corrupt regime backed by foreign power gets replaced by fundamentalist warlords" and "losing our democracy and sovereignty to an invader".

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

TulliusCicero posted:

THIS is the great threat to NATO? An army that sells off its own equipment and can't seem to have its rank and file surrender fast enough, doing dumb poo poo BLACK OPS ELITE MISSION BOYZ getting clobbered by National guard units, and can't even do the basic check of "Gee does the enemy still have AA? Whatever send in the planes!"

More like Paper Bear

It's only been a day. Maybe we should wait?

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

TulliusCicero posted:

THIS is the great threat to NATO? An army that sells off its own equipment and can't seem to have it's rank and file surrender fast enough, doing dumb poo poo BLACK OPS ELITE MISSION BOYZ getting clobbered by National guard units, and can't even do the basic check of "Gee does the enemy still have AA? Whatever send in the planes!"

More like Paper Bear

well, it's still more than capable of demolishing ukraine. they may be resisting very well, but right now russia is still winning this war.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Sorry for the drunk posting, but gently caress war. It's a bunch of bullshit.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

cinci zoo sniper posted:

US has been intentionally ambiguous about it, and there are no EU details as of yet.

US lands some F15s in Poland. USAF logo painted over with UAF emblems. Planes fly into Ukraine. (just kidding)

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

loving :same:

Honestly those poor Russian boys who surrendered and the young National Guard unit who took back the airport broke my heart

These kids shouldn't have to die for this stupid poo poo :smith:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Thanks for the answers to my Sanctions 101 questions, everyone. Much appreciated.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The only ethical action for a russian conscript is to shoot their superior officer and or surrender immediately the first chance they get.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

Has it been reported that they are running CAP flights in the city. That seems pretty weird to be doing currently.

Ukraine knew Russia would be conducting airstrikes on the city so I don't see why they would have their fighters in the skies at such a dangerous time. I'd think that they'd have their jets grounded and being refueled and rearmed while the air strikes were happening but I'm just guessing.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

More like Paper Bear

I wouldn't be so confident if I were you. The various tweets and tiktok videos floating around have been overwhelmingly coming from Ukraine, meaning they are pro-Ukraine. So we have a very biased view of the situation.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

I wouldn't be so confident if I were you. The various tweets and tiktok videos floating around have been overwhelmingly coming from Ukraine, meaning they are pro-Ukraine. So we have a very biased view of the situation.

If the Russians were winning youd think theyd boast a little more on social media. Maybe not

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Jackson Taus posted:

They're expecting less resistance and lower morale, I imagine. It all makes perfect sense if you assume that Ukrainian troops will stop fighting once Zelensky is gone, the puppet regime orders them to stand down, and it becomes clear that they're cut off. I mean, we basically watched the Afghan forces melt away last year when the US left and they found out that the Afghan President had already fled (with a big pot of cash). If you think Euromaidan was US-instigated and the Zelensky administration is propped up only by foreign interference, then you might think Ukrainians would act as Afghans did, and go into accommodation/acceptance mode instead of keeping fighting. But there's a difference between "corrupt regime backed by foreign power gets replaced by fundamentalist warlords" and "losing our democracy and sovereignty to an invader".

Zelensky seems determined to stay in Kiev as long as he can. Perhaps Putin is so used to being surrounded by autocratic regimes and wanna-be autocrats he can push around with words and money that the level of Ukraine's resistance surprised him.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Despera posted:

If the Russians were winning youd think theyd boast a little more on social media. Maybe not

what's the score on vkontakte

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
What did the Ukrainians just shoot down over Kiev? That explosion was huge.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Okay?

I'm not running the Ukranian war effort though but thanks for the warning? I'm just a person mad as hell and drunk, and angry that this loving shitshow has to take young life because a world leader never left 1985, and destroyed his own country it seems so bad under his rule he has to gently caress up others

Just incredibly stupid destructive bullshit for no reason

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what morale is like in the Russian forces. If they have access to the internet they'd be seeing a pretty wide spread condemnation of their invasion and protests back home. Maybe it's not really an issue but if they really did fail to make as much progress as they hoped day 1 who knows.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

SUNKOS posted:

Ukraine knew Russia would be conducting airstrikes on the city so I don't see why they would have their fighters in the skies at such a dangerous time. I'd think that they'd have their jets grounded and being refueled and rearmed while the air strikes were happening but I'm just guessing.

I can see them having them up but going low and slow over the city is blatantly suicidal and I think would also make interceptions pretty difficult so that's why I'm curious.

My understanding is that if you are doing air strikes theres a altitude ceiling that you are going to have to remain under to be effective and if you are trying to intercept the air striking craft than you both can and should be above them.

TLDR is that I don't see a good reason why a Ukrainian plane would be that low.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
I'm interested to see what effect being able to Livestream both sides of a war has long-term. My initial thought is that it's going to be much harder to maintain popular support, but then there are the guys who get off watching their "enemies" die.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Eric Cantonese posted:

It's only been a day. Maybe we should wait?

Concerned Citizen posted:

well, it's still more than capable of demolishing ukraine. they may be resisting very well, but right now russia is still winning this war.

All of these. This is way too early and we're talking about Russia here.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Youth Decay posted:

Zelensky seems determined to stay in Kiev as long as he can. Perhaps Putin is so used to being surrounded by autocratic regimes and wanna-be autocrats he can push around with words and money that the level of Ukraine's resistance surprised him.

I do hope they have a leadership contingency if Kyiv is taken. There still needs to be organization and someone that other governments can talk to.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Russia's got plenty of time to show that they're extraordinarily dangerous and may very well start off tomorrow morning by doing so. They've also got plenty of time to make it look like the effort for the war itself is as half-assed as the propaganda campaign leading up to it. Don't want to be in Ukraine for any reason whatsoever but today was as hopeful as it gets.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
We're seeing good things, but it's essentially just the Ukrainians giving as good as they're getting. Russia just has a much better strategic position (THREE massive fronts) and so much more resources. The only real success has been punishing a ridiculously optimistic Russian hail mary at the airport and keeping some measure of air defense active through the initial bombardment.

Fundamentally, Russia has multiple axes of advance, the best of which near Kharkiv and Donetsk are meeting serious resistance and the worst of which near Kherson appear effectively unopposed. Russia only needs to win one of those battles to completely collapse the Ukrainian strategic situation, which the offensive from Crimea seems to be achieving.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Hey Brown Moses works for the Atlantic Council right? Does anybody know where he is? Because there's some guy on NBC from the Atlantic Council stuck in Kyiv acting as an expert.

E: scratch that, Eliot Higgins is Brown Moses, not this guy.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

TulliusCicero posted:

More like Paper Bear

It took 25 days for Baghdad to fall.

Russia has being fully invading for about 30 hours.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

ZombieLenin posted:

Fog of war is a bitch but the prevailing story is that it was a Ukrainian jet getting hit by Russian SAM.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Pook Good Mook posted:

I do hope they have a leadership contingency if Kyiv is taken. There still needs to be organization and someone that other governments can talk to.

Didn't some of the government/ cabinet already evacuate to Poland? I imagine that's the set-up of a government in exile there.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Despera posted:

What's that comment from Stephen King's "In The Deathroom" about authoritarian governments and their state-run media? They will always report their victories but never their losses, so you can tell when things get bad for them when they just stop reporting them altogether.

TulliusCicero posted:

Didn't some of the government/ cabinet already evacuate to Poland? I imagine that's the set-up of a government in exile there.

Probably. Zelensky is staying in Kyiv, probably to avoid one of the Pro-Russian Party guys coming back from Belarus to install the puppet government (yeah, funny that they went to hide out in Russian territory)

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 25, 2022

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

This is an area where Russia excels with their bot farms, though. I have noticed a lot of comments from obvious bot accounts but they haven't had any media to post aside from that goofball holding some paper with the date that ended up becoming a meme.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Putin says Ukraine isn’t a real country because it was once part of old Russia? Can some Scandinavian country just say Russia isn’t a thing because it’s just an old Viking tribe?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i'd really caution people in this thread to be circumspect about believing what they read on twitter.

there is a shitload of propaganda flying around right now, and the fog of war on top of it makes it extraordinarily difficult to get an accurate picture on whats happening in ukraine right now

i understand there is a temptation to believe news showing right now that ukraine is offering fierce resistance and the russian army is bungling this, but please exercise skepticism, especially if you want to believe what you are reading. you may be in for an utterly unpleasant shock if the situation resolves itself in a way that puts everything you have read to to be a lie

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'll give one thing to the Russians, they've really upped their social media opsec. People like Brown Moses were so easily able to track the exact moments of russian forces and their war crimes because the idiots were basically live streaming and social media posting their entire operations. There hasn't been the same flood of russian army selfies and posting.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

Ukranian military is saying it was a cruise missile.

https://twitter.com/polinaivanovva/status/1497051206774001672

Google Translate of text: "🇷🇺 War criminals fired on peaceful areas of Kyiv. 🇺🇦 The air defense did not allow the two deadly gifts of the "brothers" to reach the capital. Keep calm, help each other, get information only from official sources."

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Full on refusal to import oil would be reckless. An export levy on it, however, would’ve just squeezed Russians, imo - but I’m not an economist.

Full on refusal to import natural gas or maybe a SWIFT expulsion, on the other hand, is something we can, and imo should, do. Italy and Germany were opposed to sanctioning gas, Germany - SWIFT. Scholz offered his sage wisdom with “we need to leave some sanctions for later”.

So, uh

https://twitter.com/eha_news/status/1497028838546677761

I wonder what’s the timeline on this one

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

I hope you all are right but I really don't get the optimism. The Russian military is significantly better and is vastly more numerous. We're seeing several thousand troops fighting but there's many tens of thousands more Russian troops waiting on the border. The only hope I see is that this will turn into a guerilla warfare situation but with the major cities mostly conquered by Russia, prolonging the bleeding by Russia. I wouldn't be surprised if Kyiv (mostly) falls tomorrow or within the week.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Depends on how quickly Germany can fire up their reactors again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

TulliusCicero posted:

More like Paper Bear

The worst enemy of the Russian military has always and continues to be the Russian conscript.