Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Woolie is a great foil to Pat because they're the same person on a slightly different page, so they foil each other without Woolie realizing he is also Pat but not as obviously.

Matt was very similar, too. Liam was the only one who wasn't the same person as those three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Thinking about how Liam got the best ending in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories by unintentionally speed-running the game and I smiled.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Vandar posted:

Thinking about how Liam got the best ending in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories by unintentionally speed-running the game and I smiled.

Gun-Jumper Liam was the best running gag that was meant to be an insult that only was ever proven true over and over, especially since Liam's gunjumping always paid off.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
e: wrong thread

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 22, 2022

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man pat is totally right about dying light 2’s factions literally everybody non-cop is some combination of annoying, traitorous, or rear end in a top hat and I just want them to all gently caress off. I haven’t got to the real city yet and I’m sure the other faction will show it’s rear end but as of now there’s literally no reason to not side with them.

Also the MC is painfully dumb. Motherfucker is literally a himbo doing dumb poo poo out of your control constantly.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

DrManiac posted:

Also the MC is painfully dumb. Motherfucker is literally a himbo doing dumb poo poo out of your control constantly.

Hasn't the guy spent maybe a decade on the outside (which is meant to be even more dangerous than the city) but still gets surprised by normal zombies?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Hasn't the guy spent maybe a decade on the outside (which is meant to be even more dangerous than the city) but still gets surprised by normal zombies?

At least Dying Light 1's reason for the MC being infected was his parachute got caught in a tree, took a nasty fall and got ambushed almost seconds later.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

You know how you can accidentally gently caress up in a stealth segment and make the situation way worse? Aiden does that by himself several times and it’s frustrating as hell.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

DrManiac posted:

Man pat is totally right about dying light 2’s factions literally everybody non-cop is some combination of annoying, traitorous, or rear end in a top hat and I just want them to all gently caress off. I haven’t got to the real city yet and I’m sure the other faction will show it’s rear end but as of now there’s literally no reason to not side with them.

I've never seen a game so derided for its story. Even the kinds of people that just say "Oh, shut up and play the game," will say that they can't stand listening to any dialogue and that everyone is selfish in the most contrived way possible.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Strap in, because this is post COVID faction design from now on.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Woolie: If anyone things I'm coming to bad-faith conclusions on Everhood, I implore you to listen to my post-game discussion
<minutes later>
Pat: So you're saying the moral of the story is genocide is good?
Woolie: Yes.

:psyduck:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I've never seen a game so derided for its story. Even the kinds of people that just say "Oh, shut up and play the game," will say that they can't stand listening to any dialogue and that everyone is selfish in the most contrived way possible.

I was listening to Yahtzee on one of his podcasts and he described it as choosing between the fascists and the nutters which sounds about right for what I've heard from DL2.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I’m used to bad writing in games so it’s kinda impressive how dying light 2’s npcs make me mad irl. I think it’s a combination of the writing and the weird rear end vo.

Outside of that the game is super fun though. I never played the first game or mirror edge so the first person parkour is still super cool to me.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
my favorite part of dying light 2 is the npc who talks about having a mortgage

to who???

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
I'm listening to Pat invent Pat Kwon Do Bear-Repelling Strike and I'm loving dying holy poo poo

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Lol the email about immortality is basically "I'm a child and missed the point of most things I've read. Pat and Woolie please agree with me"

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I'm just saying, most of the anti immortality people are trapped in decaying bodies, doomed to die. You know who you never hear complaining about living forever? Actual immortals.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

This is why you specify that you want functional immortality, where you still ideally have a way out some day if you're just like, trapped in a cave-in and don't wanna live in the dark for a thousand years or something.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I just love that Pat played and loved RE7 which is a game explicitly about how immortality and being an undying thing has quickly turned the Baker family insane to the point they don't give a poo poo about how bad it's loving them up because none of it matters because they can't die. They can't stop what's happening to them and the game is full of these themes of the ravages of time even on these ancient things, down to the very land they live on, and how while they've escaped death something worse happened in its stead and still got basically none of it.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Perhaps it is possible to like a thing, and understand it, and also disagree with it?? No, it must be because they are just too stupid to understand media, unlike you, the very smart person.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Pat sees the Bakers and thinks "but i'd be built differently."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

Perhaps it is possible to like a thing, and understand it, and also disagree with it?? No, it must be because they are just too stupid to understand media, unlike you, the very smart person.

I've heard them discuss enough stories to side on "Probably missed the point" most of the time.

I mean when a game is hitting a point over the head that hard constantly and you violently disagree with it but you kind of skim over it yeah you probably either ignored it or missed it.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Feb 24, 2022

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sirtommygunn posted:

sure but on the other hand it's Pat and Woolie we are talking about

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Immortality is fiction. The Bakers being hosed up is also fictional. There's no actual way of knowing what it'd do to someone.

I've always been of the opinion that stories where the theme is "immortality is bad" are either some sour grapes mentality stuff or more about accepting your fate. Although I think there are better metaphors or allegories for illustrating the latter.

Edit: But yeah, Woolie is missing the point. I haven't even been paying attention to ever hood but I'm sure that's the case.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 24, 2022

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean in Everhood's case it's literally him not reading the text of the game, then he relays his insane half read to Pat.

I haven't heard the email but judging by the podcast title I'm guessing we're in for another week of fantastic everhood discussion

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I just got to the email in the podcast and that's some egg on my face poo poo in this conversation since it says a few of the things I just posted verbatim. Seriously didn't know, but still, it's all fiction so anything that could be said about it is speculative.

As far as exploring themes go using it as a device I still think there's better ways to do it, but it doesn't make ever hood's points less valid or Woolie less dumb.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tae posted:

Reminder that Woolie literally thought he was open minded about changing his mind before actually saying outloud and laughed at by Pat at the beginning of CSB

I like Woolie but yeah, dude makes up his mind

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

people who don't like what I love are bad and must be corrected

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Clip-On Fedora posted:

people who don't like what I love are bad and must be corrected

I mean, when it comes to super outlandishly misunderstanding and misreading text that has a lot of influence from real beliefs, that's usually worth trying to tell someone "Hey dude, you're really wrong" imo

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

I mean, when it comes to super outlandishly misunderstanding and misreading text that has a lot of influence from real beliefs, that's usually worth trying to tell someone "Hey dude, you're really wrong" imo

Maybe, but I thought Woolie did a pretty decent job explaining why it rubbed him the wrong way on the podcast.

Neon Genesis Evangelion was heavily influenced by Christian beliefs. That doesn't make it a Christian text.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Maybe, but I thought Woolie did a pretty decent job explaining why it rubbed him the wrong way on the podcast.

Neon Genesis Evangelion was heavily influenced by Christian beliefs. That doesn't make it a Christian text.

the symbolism in eva is just to look cool, it has no deeper meaning than that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Clip-On Fedora posted:

If you mean last week's podcast, the entire reason people are pissed is that woolie missed the point and gave an incredibly bad faith read because he didn't get it. When you're publicly dissuading people from trying something because you got it all wrong, that's worth calling out

Also this:

Smoking Crow posted:

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

I dunno, the main character of Everhood is a pretty loose interpretation of a fierce deity. Like, lots of horrible assholes could be considered fierce deities by those standards.

Clip-On Fedora fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 25, 2022

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The religious imagery in Evangelion only exists because of the religious imagery in Ultraman. It doesn't mean anything other than Anno fuckin loves Ultraman.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

If you mean last week's podcast, the entire reason people are pissed is that woolie missed the point and gave an incredibly bad faith read because he didn't get it. When you're publicly dissuading people from trying something because you got it all wrong, that's worth calling out

And I don't think you're really getting why it bothered him. It could be because you're mad he didn't like a game you really liked, but I could be wrong.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Clip-On Fedora posted:

And I don't think you're really getting why it bothered him. It could be because you're mad he didn't like a game you really liked, but I could be wrong.

I didn't even like everhood that much he just got poo poo wrong sorry.

Like I understand the why and his hang ups, it's just his hang ups compound with his tendency to ignore text and theme and Basically made him decide to actively bot engage with anything in the story and then went on to tell pat and the podcast that the moral of the story is something it clearly is not.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 25, 2022

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

It's bizarre seeing everyone stream Elden Ring, but mainly because Woolie's been streaming for 4 hours and Paige for 2 yet they are basically in sync at the moment.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

MorningMoon posted:

It's bizarre seeing everyone stream Elden Ring, but mainly because Woolie's been streaming for 4 hours and Paige for 2 yet they are basically in sync at the moment.

Elden Snail

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

On the other hand, "You know what Switch games look good in 4k? All of them" is a great line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think Woolie's onto something about the secret circumcision imagery seeded throughout Everhood.