Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ymgve posted:

Interesting concept, but I think it might work better if you just picked the expression you want to show from a list instead of having to drag every muscle into the "right" position
it's diegetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Who is playing Elden Ring? It’s supposed to be unlocked already

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

MarcusSA posted:

Who is playing Elden Ring? It’s supposed to be unlocked already

Maybe in an hour when it's done decrypting lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is the first From game that’s had a simultaneous pc and console release right? Hopefully the PC performance is good.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

MarcusSA posted:

This is the first From game that’s had a simultaneous pc and console release right? Hopefully the PC performance is good.

Nah I'm pretty sure they did that with DS3 and Sekiro too.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

MarcusSA posted:

Kotaku article says it's not so good

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't understand how they ended up with a situation where turning down the settings makes the game look worse but doesn't increase FPS in any real way.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

It'll easily get to number one once everyone is off of work lol

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Preloading seems pointless unless you have very slow internet. It's going to take an hour+ to decrypt the files anyway, even on an 8-core PC.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

Preloading seems pointless unless you have very slow internet. It's going to take an hour+ to decrypt the files anyway, even on an 8-core PC.

It took about 20 minutes for me. Though, I could have also downloaded it in about that time so while I don't preorder very often I think I'll probably just wait to download in the future most of the time because I have had preloads take an hour+.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It only benefits steam really

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It runs fine for me with everything cranked at 4k on a 3080. The game has a 60fps lock though, so that dude that did all the patches for previous Souls games will hopefully do one for this game to unlock the framerate.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think if you unlock the framerate it will ban you from being online since they are using EAC, but I could be wrong.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Rusty posted:

I think if you unlock the framerate it will ban you from being online since they are using EAC, but I could be wrong.

Interesting. Not the end of the world personally, as I don't want any of that invasion or multiplayer stuff anyway. Could definitely crimp other players needs though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

The performance bottleneck is simultaneously reading and writing to the same disk, core count is irrelevant.

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

The performance bottleneck is simultaneously reading and writing to the same disk, core count is irrelevant.

Yeah, on my NVME drive it finished unpacking in <10 minutes.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ideally Steam would allow you to preload to one Steam library and then decrypt to another but having multiple Steam libraries is probably rare enough that it isn't worth the effort.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

pseudorandom name posted:

Ideally Steam would allow you to preload to one Steam library and then decrypt to another but having multiple Steam libraries is probably rare enough that it isn't worth the effort.

What

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You can create multiple Steam Libraries on different disks. Preloading to a library on one disk and then decrypting to a library on another disk would maximize performance, but so few Steam users have multiple Steam libraries that it probably isn't worth the effort for Valve to implement this and come up with a UI to explain it to people like you who don't understand the concept.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

The reason unpacking is slow is because you're reading and writing to the same disk at the same time. If you have multiple storage drives and you could download to one drive and unpack to the other it would speed things up considerably

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Also (good) SSDs massively improve the situation over spinny disks due to the lack of seeking and massively huge read/write speeds but reading and writing the same disk is still a performance bottleneck.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I would just wait the 15 minutes it takes on a SATA SSD personally

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

more demos:

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256875462/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1645713365

Minishoot Adventure - My fave demo so far, a chill twin-stick bullet-heavy Zelda where you're a cute lil spaceship trying to free its friends. Art is nicely stylized and clean with strong readability, and the demo region was fun to explore. I imagine the full game will probably just be a short 4-ish hour experience which is right in my wheelhouse, so this was an instant wishlist.

I Just Want to Be Single - there's promise here, an asexual anti-dating sim VN where your goal is to try to improve your friendship with people without them getting attracted to you. at least that's the pitch, the demo doesn't get too deep into the mechanics. the kickstarter isn't for a month so i won't wishlist it but i'll see how it turns out if they ever finish it. probably more for a zoomer audience though since it's set in high school. i relate to the protag's anxiety and ace feels but would prefer an adult setting, obviously

Blood Nova - first-person point and click which I'm all about (love me an ICOM), UI is a bit similar to Norco. ambition is a bit smaller than norco though, it's mostly about a space princess trying to escape an assassination attempt with her best friend and retainer. the environment art is pretty nice, though the presentation is a bit WYSIWYG without much in the way of bells or whistles. will have to check out this dev's portfolio.

Lucy Dreaming - just okay point and click with kinda gangly Maniac Mansiony art. it does the thing where you have to select a verb before clicking on a hotspot, which i guess is 'authentic' to old-school SCUMM but there's a reason P&C games evolved from that.

Feed All Monsters - kind of meh line-path puzzle game, lacking in personality and polish

so far, I've wishlisted: Small Saga, Blood Nova, Minishoot Adventure, Writer's Block, The Wreck, and Roto Force

next batch of demos: hatchwell, for a vast future, kingdom shell, nova islands

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 25, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Elden ring issue

Did anyone have a lingering unpacking issue? I had it preload hours before it was live and took a long rear end nap. Woke up and it hung up on 47/49 gb and wouldn’t budge. I restarted steam. I restart my drat Pc. Nothing

space seemed to be free enough on the local drive.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

can anyone answer in spoiler tags: does elden ring have illusory walls/a reason to swing at random walls? if so, is rolling enough to trigger them or do you have to hit them?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

can anyone answer in spoiler tags: does elden ring have illusory walls/a reason to swing at random walls? if so, is rolling enough to trigger them or do you have to hit them?

I don't know yet but there's like a million "secret door ahead" messages and I recommend you make some yourself.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The stutters in Elden Ring are abysmal but the game seems good so far.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I'm thinking of picking it up but my GTX 1070 is telling me to get hosed.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I have an RTX 3060Ti, 64gb of ram, and a Ryzen 7 and I'm still getting stuttering ocasionally. It's very playable on ultra for me (2k), but I can't imagine a less powerful system performing nearly as well. Sometimes the stutter is during fights and can be extremely frustrating, and that's with the top of the line stuff.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Trickyblackjack posted:

I know it's a bit stronger but I'm running on almost all High Settings (Medium Volumetric and Shadows) on my GTX1070Ti on 1440p and it's almost a consistent 60fps, drops a bit when I can see a lot of the overworld to a measly 55fps. There's stuttering here and there, normally when loading, but afaik even people with much better rigs suffer from those stutters.

What I'm saying is, you can probably play this pretty well on a 1070, so don't let that specifically hold you back. Now if the style of game isn't appealing or if your budget doesn't allow for it, well.....

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

maybe someone remebers RESET, an ambitious indie project that started out in the high times of indie game popularity but unfortunately never saw the light of day

it has now been shut down forever :( Not surprising as it dragged along over a decade, but still a bit sad as it was an interesting project

https://reset-game.net/?p=805

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Oh drat, I remember it was looking pretty promising like, 5 years ago.

Sounds like they still want to finish it but the chances are remote:

quote:

This is a letter we wrote some time ago. We we’re ready to call it. Through, done, kaput. Mentally we totally let go of the project. But something kept us from sending it the letter.
So despite the raunchy post title and the original letter standing true, we’re still not done yet, but the future of the project is unclear.

Now having had some time to shed some (a lot) unwanted and heavy excess mental baggage, it is time to regroup, put the kettle on, re-balance our jaded work/life and see how the winds will turn.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Trickyblackjack posted:

I think it's a bug rather than a power issue

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

haldolium posted:

maybe someone remebers RESET, an ambitious indie project that started out in the high times of indie game popularity but unfortunately never saw the light of day

it has now been shut down forever :( Not surprising as it dragged along over a decade, but still a bit sad as it was an interesting project

https://reset-game.net/?p=805

Oof, I've wondered about what happened to it every year or so. Sigh... At least we have some closure now :(

Edit: Gosh... It's been 9 years since I first became excited for this game

Sininu fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 25, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Elden rings stuttering seems to be a 'technical' problem more than a 'performance' one. At least with the evidence that it happens regardless of the power of the rig or settings but doesn't happen on consoles (which just run at terrible framerates)

So hopefully this can be fixed with some more patching.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Artelier posted:

I know it's a bit stronger but I'm running on almost all High Settings (Medium Volumetric and Shadows) on my GTX1070Ti on 1440p and it's almost a consistent 60fps, drops a bit when I can see a lot of the overworld to a measly 55fps. There's stuttering here and there, normally when loading, but afaik even people with much better rigs suffer from those stutters.

What I'm saying is, you can probably play this pretty well on a 1070, so don't let that specifically hold you back. Now if the style of game isn't appealing or if your budget doesn't allow for it, well.....

I appreciate the feedback, that actually sounds pretty great. I game on 1080p anyways.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mega Comrade posted:

Elden rings stuttering seems to be a 'technical' problem more than a 'performance' one. At least with the evidence that it happens regardless of the power of the rig or settings but doesn't happen on consoles (which just run at terrible framerates)

So hopefully this can be fixed with some more patching.

I definitely wonder if there's something broken with the PC port. Not only does running everything on minimum settings not impact performance at all, running the game on max settings and it... looks really muddy and kind of worse looking than Dark Souls 3. I have a 3080 and looking at footage of the console versions, it looks much less muddy there and textures look more defined.

I don't know if this is a problem with my PC or if its the game but the last PC port I remember playing that was this bad in weird ways was the very original Dark Souls 1 PC port, not remastered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah, it's not a great port. I mean it's not crashing at bonfires for a large portion of the userbase like DS3 was, but. From Digital Foundry's blurb Bamco and From are aware and fixing it, at least.