Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Deteriorata posted:

Ukranian military is saying it was a cruise missile.

https://twitter.com/polinaivanovva/status/1497051206774001672

Google Translate of text: "🇷🇺 War criminals fired on peaceful areas of Kyiv. 🇺🇦 The air defense did not allow the two deadly gifts of the "brothers" to reach the capital. Keep calm, help each other, get information only from official sources."

now its a jet again

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1497077909751746609

twitter needs to be banned i think

https://twitter.com/ErinBurnett/status/1497078700713594888

https://twitter.com/Guderian_Xaba/status/1497080815452311580

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1497082895646834698

FishBulbia fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Lithuania's Minister of National Defence: Our new aid to Ukraine is being transported.

He doesn't specify but if the Defense Minister tweets it, one has to assume it's materiel.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

the popes toes posted:

Lithuania's Minister of National Defence: Our new aid to Ukraine is being transported.

He doesn't specify but if the Defense Minister tweets it, one has to assume it's materiel.

kneel before the overwhelming might of lithuania

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Family in Chernihiv is trying not to panic. Tank battles heard outside. And alarm sirens.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

kneel before the overwhelming might of lithuania

The latest dlc to hoi4 made them incredibly stronk.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
that would be a genuinely threatening post in 1700, tbh

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Family in Chernihiv is trying not to panic. Tank battles heard outside. And alarm sirens.

I'm really sorry about all that. :(

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Shes Not Impressed posted:

I'm so sorry.

Friends in Odesa are bored of it.

No sign of Russians they just occasionally level something outside of town.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Vox Nihili posted:

Every decade or so we have to relearn that dropping a bunch of paratroopers deep in enemy territory is basically just a death sentence.

it really is amazing

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

the popes toes posted:

Its actually Doom Guy.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Near Kiev. Denying the Russians their infrastructure. They are not laying down.

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

That's it, I'm never playing as the Soviets in Red Alert ever again.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

FishBulbia posted:

Russia has +400k contractors they'll use em first, don't doubt that they'll press kids to sign up though

Foolish to do when Russia is facing a population crisis similar (but not nearly as bad as) Japan. Life expectancy is very low, their citizens are very unhealthy and weak and the more time passes less and less people are having children. This could lead to much harsher consequences for Russia's future than any sanctions if a lot of these inexperienced youths are just getting gunned down instantly, which may very well happen if that airport disaster was some of Russia's best. Trying the same in the capital with conscripts would be a bloodbath.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

Its actually Doom Guy.

Lithuanian supersoldier Doominas Guykas.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1497085937670664194?s=20&t=0ErOjUfUd9GXPfyeZzFRjg

The battle for Chernihiv is crucial to protect Kyiv.

The fog of war is very dense there

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's insane to me that the west isn't flying and shipping in as much "lethal aid" as the transport network allows. Just drown the country in anti-tank missiles and portable AA systems.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dick Ripple posted:

From what I have been reading it seems the Ukrainians are digging in. Anyone have an update on what happened last night? Or a good source one can see the current gains by Russian forces?

Confirmed:
- Tank column moving on E101 to Kyiv, have made through at least 70km from border - they’re building highway checkpoints as they move
- NW flank sees heavy fighting, Ukrainians have blown at least one bridge to stall the advance there
- Kyiv got hit by air raid, what speculatively appears to be at least 4 large missiles
- Antonov airport got retaken by government forces
- EU has reached internal agreement on sanctions
- Zelenskyi has declared general mobilisation, men aged 16(18?)-60 must not leave country
- Russian forces have taken a rock Romania
- Ukrainian forces have secured Kherson river crossing
- Missile strike on Zaporozhia

However, most of this information is 3-10 hours old. We’ll need to wait several hours for fresh updates.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Baronjutter posted:

It's insane to me that the west isn't flying and shipping in as much "lethal aid" as the transport network allows. Just drown the country in anti-tank missiles and portable AA systems.

the problem with dumping a bunch of AA systems on a country that may not last very long is that those AA systems often end up in the hands of people who may choose to use them against non-military aircraft years later

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Modern anti air, especially the kind capable of taking down current gen warplanes with countermeasures, isn’t just a stinger missle on some guys shoulder. It’s a whole unit with radar, vehicles, etc. that need logistical support and training.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

I think that's a big part of the problem there--not sure how you would fly anything into Ukraine now, and given Russian air superiority transporting it by land probably isn't great either.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

small butter posted:

That's it, I'm never playing as the Soviets in Red Alert ever again.

allies mega suck in that game though

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Baronjutter posted:

Anything the west tries to fly in directly risks being shot down, and most Ukrainian airfields are damaged or disabled.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Fill Baptismal posted:

Modern anti air, especially the kind capable of taking down current gen warplanes with countermeasures, isn’t just a stinger missle on some guys shoulder. It’s a whole unit with radar, vehicles, etc. that need logistical support and training.

This is also a big factor. I'm sure Ukraine would love a couple of Patriot batteries, but without training they'd be almost useless, and would likely be destroyed before they can accomplish much of anything.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Or just a small fleet of anti-tank drones set up by mysterious benefactors controlled by secure wire an ocean or two away.

Might be too beyond deniability, but this is a war launched after Russia burned all diplomatic credibility to the ground.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I'm hearing reports that Louis CK has been drafted into the Ukrainian army

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Despera posted:

allies mega suck in that game though

Not for the cheesy cnc micro pros they ain't

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

MadJackal posted:

Or just a small fleet of anti-tank drones set up by mysterious benefactors controlled by secure wire an ocean or two away.

Might be too beyond deniability, but this is a war launched after Russia burned all diplomatic credibility to the ground.

I'd love if the west pulled the same unknown green men on vacation poo poo that Putin got away with.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love if the west pulled the same unknown green men on vacation poo poo that Putin got away with.

"Oh, they're part of a "freedom convoy", so they're incredibly stupid and that's how they ended up in Ukraine"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Some Ukrainians are begging for a no-fly zone to be established and that would certainly be appreciated by the civilians I’m sure.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

BigglesSWE posted:

Some Ukrainians are begging for a no-fly zone to be established and that would certainly be appreciated by the civilians I’m sure.

Ya... The West won't be doing that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

NATO shooting down Russian planes would be war.

Edit: I mean, it's already war, but you know what I mean.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

BigglesSWE posted:

We won't, but I really wish we would or could.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

KillHour posted:

NATO shooting down Russian planes would be war.

Edit: I mean, it's already war, but you know what I mean.

Turkey did it and basically nothing happened.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1497093520498343946?s=20&t=wouPfW3mSQerAhsbQckAGw

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Kyiv sirens are going off again.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

acidx posted:

Turkey did it and basically nothing happened.

That was one jet, in a military operation far from home that Russia doesn't consider vital to its national security. Western military intervention in this war would be a much bigger matter.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Anubis posted:

It's haunting to see so little traffic, and somewhat nice, if shocking, to see people being so diligent about safe driving.

I've never forgotten this piece which mentions as an aside that even when Tripoli collapsed into anarchy, people still obeyed all the basic road rules: https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v39/n24/william-carter/diary

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rescue of whom?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Maybe the paratroopers that failed in their mission.

freebooter posted:

I've never forgotten this piece which mentions as an aside that even when Tripoli collapsed into anarchy, people still obeyed all the basic road rules: https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v39/n24/william-carter/diary

Witness me, bloodbag! (by checking your mirrors and blind spots before changing lanes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Rescue of whom?

I'm guessing the scattered infantry that lost it earlier? But yeah seems more sensible to just be another force smashing into the capital from all sides.