Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
am i the only one that found the "schilder's tinder" post to be kinda gross

great way to prey on war refugees i guess

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

SchrodingersCat posted:

One on one, right now, I think direct confrontation between the US and China or Russia in their regions would be a toss-up.

In 10 years I don't think the US will be able to compete with China in the far pacific.

In 20 years China will be the new hegemon. The US will still be the most well-protected and uninvadable nation in the world, but our sphere of influence will be nil. The world will be better off for it, and I think the world and the US would be better off for it if the US stopped loving around in everyone else's business.

US military development is hindered by too much of the same wasteful profit-hunting bullshit that has broken most of the rest of our industries. US foreign policy and diplomacy is hindered by the fact that only idiots and failsons work for the government or go into politics.

Yeah I think the reason the FP blob is so randy for wars right now is they also realize this is about as good as it gets for US capability vs its rivals.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

i do care about accusations of nazism when putin is talking about "denazification" in order to justify wars of imperial conquest

It's going to be "great fun" when putin decides that dipshit finnish politicians looking at NATO longingly means that Finland ought to be "purged of nazis" while pointing at the loving swastikas on their army insignia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utti_Jaeger_Regiment

These fucks don't even have the Azov argument of being unofficial. Literally a part of the finnish army

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

one cannot trust any numbers or specific facts except really obvious stuff like "kyiv has been shelled, here, look at this picture of the city being shelled"

the fog of war real

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1497113830589190145?s=20&t=LQi8MQphUdtBpjDSjGhXWQ

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Goast posted:

am i the only one that found the "schilder's tinder" post to be kinda gross

great way to prey on war refugees i guess

:shrug:

It was real gross and hopefully those were bot accounts instead of desperate women looking to flee.

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 08:51 on Feb 25, 2022

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Jeff Fatwood posted:

It's going to be "great fun" when putin decides that dipshit finnish politicians looking at NATO longingly means that Finland ought to be "purged of nazis" while pointing at the loving swastikas on their army insignia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utti_Jaeger_Regiment

These fucks don't even have the Azov argument of being unofficial. Literally a part of the finnish army

Azov was officially incorporated into the national guard in 2014

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

one cannot trust any numbers or specific facts except really obvious stuff like "kyiv has been shelled, here, look at this picture of the city being shelled"

the fog of war real

and then the rickshaw puller turned to me and said, "the more you know, the less you understand."

please give me a column in a major newspaper, thanks

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

OhFunny posted:

It was real gross and those were bots accounts instead of desperate women looking to flee.

Hi!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Putin went full tonto and is still losing according to the UK defence secretary
https://twitter.com/dan_murphy/status/1497110715261284355?s=20&t=9U4WfFEqpv_LU0N0g6PK9g

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Wen Ballace

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Danann posted:

okay i guess the vdv either have a ton of clerics who can cast raise dead or ukraine just failed at throwing out a bunch of paratroopers on their doorsteps

https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1497110084933107731

i understand why the Ukrainian propagandists are twisting things as best they can to raise morale but what is the point overall? a few hours of high spirits before it's revealed, nope, actually, the russians are still there? hasn't zelensky already mentioned cease fire talks? are they pursuing them?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

paul_soccer12 posted:

Azov was officially incorporated into the national guard in 2014

lol welp

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

Putin went full tonto and is still losing according to the UK defence secretary
https://twitter.com/dan_murphy/status/1497110715261284355?s=20&t=9U4WfFEqpv_LU0N0g6PK9g

baghdad bob vibes

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Gresh posted:

baghdad bob vibes

https://twitter.com/Mariia_Zolkina/status/1497077391851671567?s=20&t=beYzDjaUM7Sy77dFVsaWXA

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

based

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1497117468652982272

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

:patriot:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ukrainian forces have fountain hooked the russian advance and are going to stage a comeback with the godlike gold bounty

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

t... tankies?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

OK baizuo posted:

Libs have been jerking off for the last few weeks over finally getting revenge on Russia for 2016

It really is amazing how many brains 2016 broke

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

holy poo poo

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1497042501429084162?s=20&t=beYzDjaUM7Sy77dFVsaWXA

quote:

DPhil/PhD Intl Relations @UniofOxford. Assoc Fellow @RUSI_org Bylines @ForeignPolicy & @washingtonpost. Email: samuel.ramani@gmail.com

people are hyped that Ukraine didn't collapse in a day. Also the ANA didn't collapse in a day either so idk why that is even brought up.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1497042501429084162?s=20&t=beYzDjaUM7Sy77dFVsaWXA

people are hyped that Ukraine didn't collapse in a day. Also the ANA didn't collapse in a day either so idk why that is even brought up.

low bar

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

oh man putin would be pissed if he saw that

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

NATO expanded eastward because those countries didn't want to be reinvaded by Russians seeking to resurrect the USSR.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

30.5 Days posted:

What's the point of the disguise if there's an entire russian column behind them

aren't both sides are using very similar equipment? could just be a simple deception tactic

Goast posted:

no military would openly admit to wearing the uniform of their opponent

that is a literal warcrime punishable by death

lmao

believe it when i see it

its not unless you actually fight in enemy uniforms. merely wearing them was ruled permissible in the nuremberg trials

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

aren't both sides are using very similar equipment? could just be a simple deception tactic

its not unless you actually fight in enemy uniforms. merely wearing them was ruled permissible in the nuremberg trials

Russian stuff has giant letters on it so it seems hard to mistake.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

paul_soccer12 posted:

NATO expanded eastward because those countries didn't want to be reinvaded by Russians seeking to resurrect the USSR.

nah it was corruption and bad economic ideas

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
This dudes reaction is so casual

https://twitter.com/mlibtarded/status/1497120393013911573

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Horizon Burning posted:

i understand why the Ukrainian propagandists are twisting things as best they can to raise morale but what is the point overall? a few hours of high spirits before it's revealed, nope, actually, the russians are still there? hasn't zelensky already mentioned cease fire talks? are they pursuing them?

It's either doing a Baghdad Bob bit, Ukraine doesn't know where its army is, the fog of war is that bad, or some or all of the above.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Didn't it take us almost a month to take Baghdad in 03? I'm not sure why were people expecting Russia to take 24 hours to topple the capital in a bigger less broken country. Afghanistan was a country being retaken in a civil war and not an invasion.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

30.5 Days posted:

Russian stuff has giant letters on it so it seems hard to mistake.

yea, but when they're close enough that you notice the giant letters and not just the lead vehicles they're basically right on top of you and then you're hosed

e: also this could be an attempt of sowing general paranoia and incite friendly fire incidents among the ukrainians if the idea that any approaching vehicle in ukrainian colours could secretly be a russian ruse of war takes hold

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

FuzzySlippers posted:

Didn't it take us almost a month to take Baghdad in 03? I'm not sure why were people expecting Russia to take 24 hours to topple the capital in a bigger less broken country. Afghanistan was a country being retaken in a civil war and not an invasion.

Especially since they're outside the loving capital already. I think people are just setting themselves up to say ukraine won when russia inevitably doesn't continue to lviv.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Cerebral Bore posted:

yea, but when they're close enough that you notice the giant letters and not just the lead vehicles they're basically right on top of you and then you're hosed

If you can see the uniforms, you can see the letters.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

FuzzySlippers posted:

to be fair it's literally across the border this time

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Google Butt posted:

to be fair it's literally across the border this time

I'm counting from when the US was staged on the border and started across. I think it was 6 -ish months to get to that point.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

30.5 Days posted:

If you can see the uniforms, you can see the letters.

and then the russians can light you up with an motorized column's worth of firepower

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

30.5 Days posted:

Especially since they're outside the loving capital already. I think people are just setting themselves up to say ukraine won when russia inevitably doesn't continue to lviv.

its generally considered bad strategy to tell, or otherwise imply to, your soliders that they are doomed

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

OhFunny posted:

It was real gross and hopefully those were bot accounts instead of desperate women looking to flee.
those were his sent messages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Atrocious Joe posted:

It took a week or two for the taliban to roll the ANA also the way the Ukranian twitter people are acting reminds me alot of the armenian 'Tweet victoriously until whoopsie the whole war is lost in a few days" strategy.