Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

MikeJF posted:

That would be a fun thing to do, keep the body's voice but switch the accent with the brains, I don't think I've ever seen that.

They did this in Dragon Ball Z Abridged for the Ginyu/Goku switch and it's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

CzarChasm posted:

They did this in Dragon Ball Z Abridged for the Ginyu/Goku switch and it's pretty good.

They also did this in an episode of I.M Weasel.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Leading Comics #4 (1942)

Silver Surfer #26 (1989)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Always thought itd be more like switching instruments.
Like going from Alto to Tenor sax.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

From this week's Action Comics 1040 (backup).

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sensation Comics #12 (1942)

Spidey Super Stories #39 (1979)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Darthemed posted:

Silver Surfer #26 (1989)

Silver Surfer discovering why weed is called a Downer.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #26 (1944)

The Many Ghosts of Doctor Graves #39 (1973)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Iron Man #17 - Tony has the cosmic power of a god and gave everyone in the world increased intelligence, and his friends have mixed feelings about this.

Frog Man continues to be a delight.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

*Gave all his friends his level of intelligence.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah I think it's posted earlier in the thread but Reed Richards was pissed about becoming dumber.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darthemed posted:

Superman #26 (1944)

Now I'm picturing a superhero whose origin was that they just had a persistently whiny friend. "C'mon! Be a hero! Use your powers for good! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!" "FINE goddamnit!"

Although I don't know much about early Hulk comics and I may just be reinventing Rick Jones here.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah I think it's posted earlier in the thread but Reed Richards was pissed about becoming dumber.

Yeah, I posted that and I could have explained it better this time around. It wasn't just his friends, though, as random citizens have been shown making innovations and quitting their dead-end jobs as news reporters and so on.

I still don't care a whole lot about the overall Korvac story arc, but the execution has been good.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Nice dig on New Jersey.
"Everyone is a super genius, Jersey still a little behind."

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Gave everyone in nyc his level of intelligence. The nypd promptly built a rocketship and hosed off to space.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The X-Men are gonna be pissed when this random newscaster buys out the rest of the sol system and they no longer get their little space kingdom

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Iron Man #17 - Tony has the cosmic power of a god and gave everyone in the world increased intelligence, and his friends have mixed feelings about this.

Doom is absolutely aghast that someone would claim he owns horses.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Push El Burrito posted:

Doom is absolutely aghast that someone would claim he owns horses.

Not only own them, but hold them?! Dr. Doom didn't spend ten years in dictator'sphilosopher-king's school to be a stable-hand.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

frodnonnag posted:

Gave everyone in nyc his level of intelligence. The nypd promptly built a rocketship and hosed off to space.

This alone makes Tony history's greatest hero.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Best of all, there's a Frog Man action figure:

I love how they captured the face and eyes there.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Lobok posted:

Now I'm picturing a superhero whose origin was that they just had a persistently whiny friend. "C'mon! Be a hero! Use your powers for good! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!" "FINE goddamnit!"
I think that's kinda the plot to the Shazam! movie, and it's also kinda the plot to Terminator 2?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Lobok posted:

Although I don't know much about early Hulk comics and I may just be reinventing Rick Jones here.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Forgive this not being a panel but I clicked a random page on a DC fan wiki and well it's something else

quote:

Walker died on his very first mission, but was resurrected via an experimental X-enzyme that restored him to physical health, but also left him emotionally empty. Thus, he became both the perfect killer and the perfect basketball player, blunt and remorseless in getting either job done, but especially as the "closer" Xer0.

Just what?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's a known fact that every single NBA player is emotionally empty. I have seen this documentary called Space Jam about it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Saoshyant posted:

It's a known fact that every single NBA player is emotionally empty. I have seen this documentary called Space Jam about it.

They're cold and dead inside. You can hear the total lack of feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2wpIeZDrHE

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Speaking of soulless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBi0JV6fHK0

Grain of salt rumour is EA is looking to get out of their contract with FIFA because of the limitations FIFA impose upon them; which is hilarious

But who needs FIFA when there's a new Mario Strikers this year :hellyeah:

Edit:lol this sure as gently caress ain't the games chat thread

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Eminence in Shadow - Chapter 1

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

This alone makes Tony history's greatest hero.

Tony then murders Frogman though...

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There are a lot of panels in Eminence in Shadow like that, where the MC "trains" in incredibly stupid ways that do make him tougher and stronger, just not in the way he expects.

Edit.: It should be noted he does all this before he gets sent to another world via truck.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 25, 2022

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

MasterBuilder posted:

Forgive this not being a panel but I clicked a random page on a DC fan wiki and well it's something else

Just what?

Oh, XER0, the book Christopher Priest describes as "the Apollo 13 of my career."
It does have really nice ChrisCross art and as with most of Priest's grim post-mortems the essay I linked is eye-opening.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

How Wonderful! posted:

Oh, XER0, the book Christopher Priest describes as "the Apollo 13 of my career."
It does have really nice ChrisCross art and as with most of Priest's grim post-mortems the essay I linked is eye-opening.

"Trane Walker was a African-American athlete and power forward for the National City Vipers. Secretly, he was also Coltrane Walker, a clandestine government agency assassin who preserved his secret identity by disguising himself as a blond and blue-eyed Caucasian covert operative"

Christopher Priest is one of the few writers I would trust with that concept.

Panel tax:

Source: It’s Jeff #2

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

Really excellent essay. The stuff about his editor yelling at him for securing a collaboration with the Batman office is an absolutely harrowing indictment of how the project was managed.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

How Wonderful! posted:

I'll have to check that out and about to I'll reserve judgement on if the Appollo 13 comment is limited to a disaster or a disaster that highlighted humanity's ability to overcome said disaster.

I just thought it was funny because when I think of the greatest basketball player I think of Michael "and I took that personally" Jordan.

Edit
\/ I wouldn't call that emotionally empty though. He's a manipulative and two faced but his motivating factor is coming from his emotions.

MasterBuilder fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 25, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MasterBuilder posted:

I just thought it was funny because when I think of the greatest basketball player I think of Michael "and I took that personally" Jordan.

I mean from the stories I've heard about Jordan, cold and remorseless is entirely fitting. As they once said of Raymond Smuckles, the dude has got no mercy

https://chicago.sbnation.com/chicago-bulls/2012/10/18/3522296/michael-jordan-chicago-bulls-scottie-pippen

quote:

The day before game 4 of the Bulls Suns finals with the Bulls leading the series 2-1. Michael and Charles Barkley went golfing. They played 48 holes of golf. And Michael bought Charles a $20,000 diamond earring. Johnny asked MJ, "what did you do all that for?" Michael responded, "he won’t get in my way the rest of the series, what’s $20,000 to me? Charles thinks we’re great friends. I hate that fat f—." Jordan dropped 55 in game 4 and Barkley never touched him once.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

House of Secrets #36 (1960)

Superboy #91 (1961)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Android Blues posted:

Really excellent essay. The stuff about his editor yelling at him for securing a collaboration with the Batman office is an absolutely harrowing indictment of how the project was managed.

Bad editing aside, I admit I found Xer0 nearly unreadable -- and I'm a Priest fan -- because he went way overboard with his love for flashbacks, flashforwards, and nonlinear plots in general.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #91 (1961)

Nothin wrong with a little rug munchin. As a treat

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Judge Dredd, lawman of the future is hunting the escaped Mean Machine Angel, a not-so-bright psycho with a dial in his head that controls how angry he is.

The Mean Machine from Judge Dredd: The Restricted Files Vol 4

Mostly posting because I love Mega City One cits taking weirdness in their stride.

"Yes, yes, I can see Judge Dredd just swung in the window and is taking a beat-down from a cybernetic killing machine, but thats really no excuse for the service."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #91 (1961)

This is why Superman is better than Batman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Push El Burrito posted:

This is why Superman is better than Batman.

:lmao: