Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I am about to finish Stormveil and just realised I don't have the item to summon lol. Also I have seen some poo poo today. Pop over to east limgrave if you've got time and have a poke around for a lift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Beat Magrit on my second try with the jellyfish, Woop Woop.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

vandalism posted:

Yo has anyone beaten the grafted scion tutorial thing? I've tried it like 59 times lmao no dice. Got close with bow samurai but that thing kills in 2 hits

It's not really worth it. You get a handful of pretty standard weapons you can't use until you level up a bit, and then you literally have to kill yourself to progress the story since the game is expecting you to die during the fight. Plus the Grafted Scion is not a unique enemy, and you get to fight more of them later in the game.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

drat this game is good. I can finally say with confidence that it is a worthy successor to dark souls 2 and builds on its ideas tremendously

Yeah, the combat is definitely the faster DS3 style, but there's a heavy DS2 feel, am loving it. Plenty of places to go, poo poo ton of mobs yay.

Haven't been too far yet, just down a beastman miniboss, and getting rekt by the big one in the castle, so exploring the map now. STR 20, VIG 17, it's shaping up slowly, but it's shaping up. I'm just struggling with weapon upgrade mats, only got the one so far.

"It's a bit of a lark, innit?"

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

i cannot beat the horse man

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Sphyre posted:

i cannot beat the horse man

I haven't even tried to fight him! I just went and got lost in insane places.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

FishMcCool posted:

"It's a bit of a lark, innit?"

That whole conversation is deeply unsettling

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I killed a regular turtle by hitting it with a club 6 times. I did this for crafting mats.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
This lovely 1050 Ti of mine is basically unplayable due to bad frame rates and the models literally do not load in.

Yeah it's not possible to fight those murakumo horse dudes near the gate ruins when they're invisible.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Shoehead posted:

Oh ho ho I can't stop this screen tearing even with vsync forced off

Weirdly I went to check if my refresh rate was too high or too low and it was set to 60, which I figured would have the least tearing but bumping it back up to 144 (something must have messed with it fuckin Windows 10) fixed all my screen tearing. The other Nvidia Control Panel tweak seems to have helped a heap too and I get minor stutters when popping into a new area.

Also game gud

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
How do I get more spell slots? I assume Mind but I wanted to confirm.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
traverse the pisswall

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

this is a god drat good video game. this poo poo is for fuckin real.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Propaganda Hour posted:

That whole conversation is deeply unsettling

It should have been, but I couldn't get past the accent. It felt more like Shaun of the Dead than anything.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I haven't even reached the part where you get a mount yet. Too busy wandering around in awe, helping people in co-op, and jump-attacking their bosses in the butthole. This is already tremendously fun.

Here's a tip that's probably obvious for people with brains (unlike me): Those little skulls you see on the ground sometimes, the ones that are glowing but don't have a loot prompt? Roll into them.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I kind of can't believe my minimum settings PC just ran this for 10 hours with maybe 45 seconds of stutter and no other issues. I love this game but it's so goddamn overwhelming. It's everything I wanted.

got a massive lol out of secret swamp dragon

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
How does fall damage work on the horse?

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I'm not sure if anyone else had this issue on pc but I kept getting hangup and crashes on the logo screens right after the EAC loaded up. I fixed this by updating epic game store and installing epic online services or something like that. I'm not sure why that worked but I know for a fact that it was the solution because I reverted every other fix that I read to do beforehand. I suspect that because epic owns EAC that it needed the latest architecture or something installed along with it and the steam install didn't include this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So, Stormveil Castle. It's big. Like, bigger than I was expecting. And I know that Sekiro was developed in parallel to Elden Ring, but it does feel like they adopted some of that level design philosophy for the legacy dungeons. It's much more vertical than I was expecting, with lots of jumping.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I haven't even reached the part where you get a mount yet. Too busy wandering around in awe, helping people in co-op, and jump-attacking their bosses in the butthole. This is already tremendously fun.

Here's a tip that's probably obvious for people with brains (unlike me): Those little skulls you see on the ground sometimes, the ones that are glowing but don't have a loot prompt? Roll into them.

The part where you get a mount is right at the beginning. Follow the guide line from the first outdoors site of grace. Exploring the world is so much better with the horse.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Phobophilia posted:

This lovely 1050 Ti of mine is basically unplayable due to bad frame rates and the models literally do not load in.

Yeah it's not possible to fight those murakumo horse dudes near the gate ruins when they're invisible.
What's the rest of your build? I also have a 1050 TI and no one's been invisible for me. A bear literally teleported on top of me for some reason but I think that was a bug.

The Joe Man posted:

BELOW MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS PERFORMANCE REPORT

2560x1440
Anti-Aliasing, Depth of Field & Motion Blur: OFF
GeForce Driver version: 465.89

All other settings mirrored with recommended ones here:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/elden-ring-pc-performance-and-best-settings-guide

Also, those are my temps while currently in-game (right after you pull up the door and enter the actual open world).

Runs great. DualSense worked perfectly normal like everything as expected. Not experiencing any stuttering, hitching, etc...

"good luck, skeletons!"

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I've had a positive experience except for early stutter and framey issues in the open world with an i5-6600, which is below the minimum. Otherwise I have 16GB RAM and a GTX 1070.

Started as Wretch and I have to say I expected to find more weapons early on. Literally bought the chain pants and shirt so I didn't get comboed to death by tomb goblins.

Favourite experience so far is actually finally going back to clear that dungeon and seeing the message before the boss door

"beware of up dog"

I enter the boss room, the boss starts to move.

I understand.

--

The coastal cave dungeon is also pretty cool because it has an NPC summon right before the boss in it! I used the ashes I got from updog in that fight as well and it turned it into a real fiesta, would recommend.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Thank you god this game works great on my GTX 970 with in i7 5850k and 32 gigs of ram

Starting as a lady samurai gently caress yessssss

Finally elden rinnngggg

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i keep running halfway back to bonfires or trying to buy homeward bones until i remember i can instantly teleport

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I get biiiig stutters in the large open world fights but otherwise it runs well; reports seem to be it’s definitely a game issue because it’s happening across the board

Playing wretch and I was so blown away by how much better a sword is than a club when I found one at last, real bronze-age epiphanies up in here

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

8 hours on my character and... eh? It's a good game but I think I'm starting to bounce off of it pretty hard. I'm going to echo the sentiments that open world doesn't really work for the Soulsborne gameplay. You tend to get tightly designed, interconnected dungeons that make up the world and it's all very cleverly designed. Here you don't have any of that, spaces are really wide open and there tends to be larger mobs so your hand is played for you and you'll want to go stealth for a lot of it. Or not, just run away with your horse, enemy positions mean nothing on the field now, nothing feels intimidating. Not to mention that the world feels like every other open world game with stupid mats all over to collect and a lot of empty, unused and sometimes boring space. At least most of it is gorgeous.

Another thing that the open world design makes so much worse is death, in other titles you had checkpoints placed in very select locations, they were a sign of progress, it was reprieve from all of the bullshit you went through just to find one. Here they're just all over the place, points on the map that you can fast travel through, but none of them are really held back beyond anything. You can just circumvent everything to get to the next one, hell sometimes I've found several in a row and I hadn't even seen any enemy in between. Back to the death though, in other titles the checkpoints were never that far apart, but now they can be so far apart that dying is as tedious as it's ever been. Yes, I want to ride my horse back to that random cave I found every death for a minute just to get my poo poo back and keep delving into said cave.

I don't feel like I'm making any progress towards anything. I made it to Margit and had to stop, I think I'm too low level and I'm too tired to try and figure out phase 2 right now. So I've just been wandering around aimlessly looking for things of interest and other bosses. It all just feels... aimless. In other games progression was a very visual thing, your environment changed as you went through it, you literally saw the game changing. Here though everything is just open from the get go, so you're just always seeing change so it doesn't feel like going from one environment to another means poo poo.

Finally, the open world completely ruins the pacing, Bloodborne and Sekiro were really, really good about throwing new stuff at me before the stuff I've seen grew too stale. Here I've run into wolves, raccoons, knights, deer and eagles way too much.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

I also haven't left the starting area and I believe I've seen everything the game has to offer.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
Game owns. I’m feeling broke af. The estoc/magic missile combo feels good but I need some cash to bump dex and str for what I have found. game is stingy.

it’s def not that I keep dying

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I'm yet to find a cave/dungeon that doesn't have a gracesite immediately at the entrance to rest at and fast travel to.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Joe Man posted:

What's the rest of your build? I also have a 1050 TI and no one's been invisible for me. A bear literally teleported on top of me for some reason but I think that was a bug.

i7-7700HQ CPU
16GB RAM

Dunno what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I set absolutely everything to low?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh crap I'm sure someone else has said this but I noticed you have all the tutorials as items in your inventory to review

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I don't know what happened overnight but I'm encountering black bars everywhere today. Also, when I try to summon Fanged Imps for the Margit fight, the mana is used and their healthbars appear but they aren't summoned, which is sort of a problem because my current strategy involves summoning them and using them as distractions while I pelt the enemy with spells.

EDIT: Also, the game says inappropriate activity was detected but I have no idea what I did and haven't done anything?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Anyone else getting a white screen crash to desktop on pc version?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I am putting points into faith but the level up screen isn't showing my damage scaling. It's making my fireball do more damage when I put pts into faith right?

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

If the thing you're casting the spell with has faith scaling then yes.

Unless they completely changed the system, I can't play for another 5 hours.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Game seems good. Does kinda feel a little empty in places but I'm not that far along.

Man, high damage weapons jumping R2's seem umm... I dunno have to try more weapons, but I've crushed most bosses first try with jump r2's

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Steam still stuck on 98%

:negative:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Alan Smithee posted:

Steam still stuck on 98%

I had this happen to me when I opened the game for the first time after pre-loading it, what they dont tell you is that the final 2% is actually another 49 gigabytes of game to download.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are certainly things that make this game more accessible than previous from software RPGs. There are many more viable builds and weapon types than ever before, giving new players lots of options. And there's an abundance of low-level content at the beginning to cut your teeth on should the story content kick your rear end. But on the flipside, the narrow constraints of previous games I think helped new players learn a lot more quickly. Earlier games had hand-crafted starting areas designed to teach you all the essential skills you need to beat the game, and new players would have to butt their heads against these areas again and again until they mastered them. You learn quickly about how ambushes are designed, what kinds of tricks will be deployed against you, and how to not charge into danger recklessly. I'm not sure the same can be said of elden ring. Instead, a lot of new players seem to be spending hours just wandering around, getting lost, and dying repeatedly to random poo poo before going in a different direction to do the same. This game could've used a boletaria palace or undead burg equivalent before kicking players out into the open world.

Also that Selia trick is just nasty, and I don't think it's good that they put it right next to the start. Any new players who stumble upon it are bound to be very confused and frustrated by what happens to them.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Feb 25, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Al-Saqr posted:

I had this happen to me when I opened the game for the first time after pre-loading it, what they dont tell you is that the final 2% is actually another 49 gigabytes of game to download.

it's not moving at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I could do with some help. I got transported by the chest under the Dragon Burnt Town and am now stuck in a mine with rocky old men and some rear end in a top hat bug mages with homing attacks and too many hands.

Which way should I head to leave this accursed place?