Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I just picked up a copy of Avalon Hill's Waterloo and I can't believe how accurate that description is.

Was doing a bit of research on the proper way to paint 7th Neapolitan Fusiliers and one of the historical society/wargaming club leaflets i found on them had an actual add for card table, three legs, one pound or nearest offer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

moths posted:

I'm not really sold on the idea that the market demands AAA production values, based largely on how eveything in historical wargaming has had the production of a church bulletin since 1972.

There's a level of expected art, and bad art stands out, but black cover Traveler is still one of the best choices in the industry's graphic design.
I meant more that it's become more demanding recently. Classic Traveller was a glorious example of how cheap, simple layout could still look good, but I think people would turn their nose up at it these days. Kickstarter seems to have distorted the market here to an extent and there are too many RPGs out there with a hardcover full colour presentation when for the game in question and the market realities the publishers are facing simple softcover black and white would have been far more sensible.

Historical wargames is a different market entirely but a good example of how a hobby can happily sustain itself on more modest presentation. I can't rule out that the RPG market will sooner or later have to correct itself in that direction outside of the Wizards and Paizos.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Warthur posted:

Historical wargames is a different market entirely but a good example of how a hobby can happily sustain itself on more modest presentation. I can't rule out that the RPG market will sooner or later have to correct itself in that direction outside of the Wizards and Paizos.

Generally speaking, cardboard wargames have gotten much better production values since the 80s, including full color rulebooks now, but they also cost quite a bit more than they used to. 70-120$ prices are not unusual for a company like GMT games.

This is what a modern rulebook from a publisher known for questionable quality looks like- it blows anything from the 80s out of the water.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Feb 25, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

As a counterpoint, consider this screenshot taken moments ago from https://www.peterpig.co.uk/:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That is some beautiful vintage web design. Needs a midi.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

moths posted:

As a counterpoint, consider this screenshot taken moments ago from https://www.peterpig.co.uk/:

miniatures wargames are the dregs of design, just a worthless industry, wipe it off the map

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Mors Rattus posted:

That is some beautiful vintage web design. Needs a midi.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Was it built in Notepad, the right way?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Just got my copy of Our Haunt and the PDF is a bit of a mess. The bookmarks are all a bit weird, with scrambled dummy entries that point to various points in the document, and quite a few obvious typoes. Also this font is really, really hard for me to read. I don't know anything about creating PDFs or laying them out - is this some kind of holdover from earlier drafts or something? Not the font thing. That's just an accessibility hiccup.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I can't help you with the bookmarks except to also marvel at whatever the hell is going on there, but could you elaborate on what your problem is with the font?

Obviously I'm not asking you to justify your eyes, I believe in your lived experience, that just looks like a pretty normal serif font like I use all the time for things so I'd like to know of any issues just for my own desire to accommodate others.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I imagine they're referring to the white-on-black cutout, which should most definitely have been bolded.

E:
WHAT
SOUR
HAI NT?

moths fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 26, 2022

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Our haunt

In the middle of our street

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I can't help you with the bookmarks except to also marvel at whatever the hell is going on there, but could you elaborate on what your problem is with the font?

Obviously I'm not asking you to justify your eyes, I believe in your lived experience, that just looks like a pretty normal serif font like I use all the time for things so I'd like to know of any issues just for my own desire to accommodate others.

I'm not an expert in this stuff or anything, I just have lovely eyeballs. But yeah, the white-on-black is *particularly* bad but the actual font itself isn't easy. It's not black on white, for one thing, it's a dark grey, and the - I don't know technical words, I'm so sorry. The actual lines of the letters are really thin, so there's just this huge whack of white space with tiny spiderlines on it. It's difficult for someone like me. That's compounded by the huge margins which just mean it's really glarey and the white page dazzles out my ability to easily read the letters. I *can* read them but goddamn I shouldn't be having to try.

In trying to read a bit more, there are typoes in the text itself, too. And further down the bookmarks aren't nested properly and there's more weird random capitalisation. I can only think this poor designer was exhausted and just shoved the product out to meet a deadline or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Try a different PDF reader in case it’s an incompatibility issue with Sumatra?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

moths posted:

See and call: http://www.chessex.com/

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The official Adobe Acrobat Reader has some built-in accessibility features, but there are additional steps the maker of a pdf can take to improve accessibility.

This is not a bad place to start: https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/accessibility-features-pdfs.html

If you are using Acrobat Reader, you should at a minimum be able to use dark mode and be able to resize text, zoom, and of course, screen readers should work, although there may be ways a PDF can be hosed up badly enough to break those features.

Here's how to use these features on android and iOS:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/acro...p/td-p/11343404

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 26, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Cheers, friends!

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Ultiville posted:

Encounters was a steady feed of new exclusive content pushed out to LGSes that was designed around weekly play, structured around that kind of pacing and so forth. My recollection was that it was free to the LGSes, though I might be misremembering, it was a while ago. (I can't remember the details of Lair Assault exactly, other than that it was focused on the tactical challenge so the encounters were harder and opportunities for roleplaying less.) People also got stuff for participating and I think there was some kind of tracking on it?

Unless they've seriously changed the AL organized play since last I looked into it, they provide nothing for it - you or the DM has to buy whatever it is that they want to run. It's also got a ton of restrictions on what character options people can use (again unless that's recently changed), something like PHB plus contents of a single book only, or the like. Also they stopped counting it towards store metrics or having any kind of player signup, so there's no reason from either the store perspective or the player perspective to prefer it (and from the player perspective, "your character is portable" is pretty useless whereas "you can't use all the options" is really annoying). As a result I never even bothered to run AL in my shop - the volunteer DMs all felt like there wasn't any reason to have the restrictions given there wasn't much reward for it, and no one even asks if my in-store play is AL or not, whereas people specifically wanted Encounters frequently.

Towards the beginning of adventurers league, I think that the Wizards Play FLGS got free adventures because WOTC was paying the authors to write adventures.

A couple seasons in, WOTC switched to charging everyone for the official adventures because (1) they were selling them through DMs Guild and (2) the authors could get royalties from sales instead of a flat fee for their work.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Panzeh posted:

70-120$ prices are not unusual for a company like GMT games.

That's also an effect of knowing their market; hex-and-chit wargames have a limited number of customers, but those customers WILL buy the game, so the games get boutique pricetags. It's the only economically viable route currently.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Tendales posted:

That's also an effect of knowing their market; hex-and-chit wargames have a limited number of customers, but those customers WILL buy the game, so the games get boutique pricetags. It's the only economically viable route currently.

GMT's also been doing their P500 thing for decades at this point; nearly if not all of their games are produced after getting a sufficient number of pre-orders. They did Kickstarter waaay before Kickstarter.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Chaosium, probably in an attempt to burnish their reputation after their NFT ambitions went up in smoke, are offering a scenario book called "Does Love Forgive?" as pay-what-you-want for the next 14 days and encouraging people who download it to donate to charitable causes supporting Ukraine. Notably, they are not actually donating anything themselves, no matching or even directly contributing sales, it's just "have a book, and you can donate if you feel like it," which as far as sentiments go seems like pretty weak tea. Like, you could have gone in on a charity bundle or something, there's a few of those going up.

Astute readers might also note that the book isn't free, it's pay-what-you-want, which means that some people who aren't reading the fine print will probably wind up buying this thinking the money is being donated to charity, but nope, that money's going straight to Chaosium themselves.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This is comically... I don't even know what word I want here

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Chaosium have a bit of a habit of that lately. It's a red flag; I have a nasty feeling there might be a chud or two in the higher echelons. There's a smell of a certain kind of commercial entitlement to their behaviour, a smell that tends to presage meltdowns about entitled SJW nerds trying to steal their money.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Kai Tave posted:

Like, you could have gone in on a charity bundle or something, there's a few of those going up.

I can confirm that there's another itch megabundle being put together at the moment containing video games and tabletop games, much like the BLM bundle from a couple of years ago. Closing date for submissions is tomorrow.

In other bundles, the Solo But Not Alone Bundle 2 ends in a few days -- got 120-ish games in there for :10bux:.

Also a Trans Rights In Texas bundle launched today and has already raised a shitload of cash.

I have a game in each of these bundles (Bleak Spirit, The One, and Pigsmoke respectively) and frankly I feel like I'm running out of games I can use to support good causes with. Need to create faster, I guess.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Thanks for bringing this up, I missed out on the others, and it's good to contribute.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Kai Tave posted:

Chaosium, probably in an attempt to burnish their reputation after their NFT ambitions went up in smoke, are offering a scenario book called "Does Love Forgive?" as pay-what-you-want for the next 14 days and encouraging people who download it to donate to charitable causes supporting Ukraine. Notably, they are not actually donating anything themselves, no matching or even directly contributing sales, it's just "have a book, and you can donate if you feel like it," which as far as sentiments go seems like pretty weak tea. Like, you could have gone in on a charity bundle or something, there's a few of those going up.

Astute readers might also note that the book isn't free, it's pay-what-you-want, which means that some people who aren't reading the fine print will probably wind up buying this thinking the money is being donated to charity, but nope, that money's going straight to Chaosium themselves.

At the risk of giving them too much credit:

Drive Thru DOG had arrangements to assign and pay royalties directly to some charities. You want to donate part or all of your royalties to Child's Play? It's really simple to do that.

If the charity is not in the system, you can't do that. You have to earn the royalties, (sometimes) wait 60 days, pay the fee to send it to your PayPal account and then send the money to the charity.

(I had a friend who promised a bunch of contributes that he'd donate all the royalties to a ocean charity, only to learn that they weren't on the list so he had to do this whole process.)

Giving Chaosium the benefit of the doubt, I surmise that someone had this wonderful idea wouldn't work out, and this is management's well thought out solution.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
WotC's capable lawyers have counter-sued LaNasa, TSR3(?) and the Dungeon Hobby Shop Museum

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gq5xddru8203u7s/WotCVsTSRCounterClaim.pdf?dl=0

It's as boring as you'd expect from competent, capable business lawyers. Only weird bit (to me) is a demand for jury trial.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
I drove past that museum a few months back. It was sad, only open weird hours and looked like it was actively being shut down.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Someone said they didn't want to roll the dice on a jury trial and Mearles got contrary

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

dwarf74 posted:

WotC's capable lawyers have counter-sued LaNasa, TSR3(?) and the Dungeon Hobby Shop Museum

It's as boring as you'd expect from competent, capable business lawyers. Only weird bit (to me) is a demand for jury trial.

That's just standard. You include that in any lawsuit in many states.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Splicer posted:

Someone said they didn't want to roll the dice on a jury trial and Mearles got contrary

:golfclap:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

General wisdom (at least among the trial lawyers I’ve worked with) is that you want a jury for damages (they tend to award more than judges) and that if the other side requested a jury trial, you want to do so also on your counterclaims so that the same jurors will hear your counterclaim evidence - often that’s helpful in making the case in chief go your way.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Well that all makes sense, yeah.

I think LaNasa caught the tiger by the tail, here.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019
Just wait until you see how successful the next IndieGoGo is after Hasbro wins all of LaNasa's grits money in the judgement.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Yeah; I don’t know those specific Davis Wright lawyers but the ones I’ve worked with are definitely competent.

(Not to mention the sheer weight of litigation budget WotC can bring to bear on this.)

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Eastmabl posted:

Just wait until you see how successful the next IndieGoGo is after Hasbro wins all of LaNasa's grits money in the judgement.

This'll be it. LaNasa's whole project is just outrage grift and always has been litigation bait. I imagine the fundraising emails have already started to go out.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Kalman posted:

Yeah; I don’t know those specific Davis Wright lawyers but the ones I’ve worked with are definitely competent.

(Not to mention the sheer weight of litigation budget WotC can bring to bear on this.)
Probably won't be as much as you think, someone upthread said it and yeah, its pretty likely that they just straight up pissed someone off at hasbro

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Probably won't be as much as you think, someone upthread said it and yeah, its pretty likely that they just straight up pissed someone off at hasbro

I'm imagining LaNasa personally serving Chris Cocks during his anniversary dinner.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
drat, what did Chris do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Lynx Winters posted:

drat, what did Chris do

Besides slapping a legacy warning onto very-not-racist products?