Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Alchenar posted:

I doubt Ukraine is currently being paint transit fees by Russia.

I also doubt that Ukraine is currently paying for the gas that they use. If Ukraine stopped gas deliveries through Ukraine, then Russia would end all gas deliveries to Ukraine full stop. Which they still might, but it's probably not as easy as just closing a tap.

Nord Stream 2 is so contentious precisely because it would allow Russia to deliver more natural gas directly to Germany and not being dependent on Ukraine and other middlemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Private Speech posted:

Also it's funny how everyone rags on EU but US also didn't sanction Russian oil or resource exports which is the most significant part of trade with them, largely for domestic political reasons.

It's a US-centric forum and if there's one thing Americans love it's to poo poo on Europe.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Baconroll posted:

Is Germany planning to remove its reliance on energy from Russia, or just continuing to pretend that gas is 'green' ?

Until recently they were planning to become more reliant on it, with Nord Stream 2. Now there is at least signals going in the right direction, which in my view means zero gas purchase from Russia.

quote:

Germany's economy minister, Robert Habeck, told German public radio on Wednesday that his country can meet its energy needs without Russian gas.

"Yes it can," Habeck said in response to Deutschlandfunk's question. He added consumers would receive assistance should energy prices skyrocket.

https://www.dw.com/en/economy-minister-says-germany-can-do-without-russian-gas/a-60883569

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1497154062084681730?s=20&t=_ogf96U_KfBSBWLzjI9V0A

Map of the battles going on around Kyiv. Red squares are active ground combat, red circles are bombardment, light red areas are where explosions have been heard, and dark red areas are where gunfire has been heard.

The live stream I'm watching has cameras near that dark red area (which I think is the government district?) and while I've heard some gunfire, there's been next to no reaction of the people going through in cars or on foot.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There's, like, a lot of concrete on that thing though right. It'd take a lot more than even an errant tank shell to really damage it. Or maybe I'm just clinging to hope here

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

TheRat posted:

It's a US-centric forum and if there's one thing Americans love it's to poo poo on Europe.

I am european and that's precisely why I poo poo on EU more. :colbert:

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It seems to be slowly moving that way. The real question is what Europe’s third largest economy, Italy, will do. 90% of their gas is Russian, which makes them by far the most exposed country on the continent in absolute terms.

Is this right? For 2020 it seems like it's closer to 50%, which is still weird to me since they now have the pipeline from Azerbaijan and like 3 LNG terminals

https://www.statista.com/statistics/787720/natural-gas-imports-by-country-of-origin-in-italy/

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hell yeah!

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1497173609957236738

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Like literally felt despair over him not speaking with the Italian PM.

I figured he was being repositioned due to the incursion, but it was definitely worrying.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Nenonen posted:

I also doubt that Ukraine is currently paying for the gas that they use. If Ukraine stopped gas deliveries through Ukraine, then Russia would end all gas deliveries to Ukraine full stop. Which they still might, but it's probably not as easy as just closing a tap.

I'm not sure on what the hell is happening, but Ukraine can buy gas in reverse mode from Slovakia/Hungary -- it's still Russian gas, but unless Russia stops selling it to Europe to gently caress over Ukraine, they will still have access to it

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Content warning: first I thought there wasn't bodies here, but then I noticed there's a blurred bit at the end. So there's probably a body on ground in the video, but it's blurred out.
Russian BM-21 destroyed in Kharkiv:
https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497173473566904324?cxt=HHwWiMC-sfDVg8cpAAAA

Grads have a range of 20-40 km so I don't know if they'd been so close to frontline to be ambushed. It could have been Ukrainian counter-battery fire instead.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 25, 2022

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Ola posted:

Until recently they were planning to become more reliant on it, with Nord Stream 2. Now there is at least signals going in the right direction, which in my view means zero gas purchase from Russia.

https://www.dw.com/en/economy-minister-says-germany-can-do-without-russian-gas/a-60883569

Its more of a bargaining chip towards Russia than a 180 towards not buying any russian gas. Even if Germany doesn't need any russian gas anymore starting tomorrow they still want it for the low price to keep industrial production competitive. Germany will always buy russian gas.

StarBegotten
Mar 23, 2016

God, his social media game is stronk!

I really hope he stays in the country till the end.

I cant imagine that ending well for him if he does, but the morale effect of him staying to face the Russians would be incalculable.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Somaen posted:

Is this right? For 2020 it seems like it's closer to 50%, which is still weird to me since they now have the pipeline from Azerbaijan and like 3 LNG terminals

https://www.statista.com/statistics/787720/natural-gas-imports-by-country-of-origin-in-italy/

I was wrong. I did haphazardly misread this article.

quote:

Italy imports 90% of its gas requirements, with Russia a key supplier.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 25, 2022

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Private Speech posted:

Also it's funny how everyone rags on EU but US also didn't sanction Russian oil or resource exports which is the most significant part of trade with them, largely for domestic political reasons.

How do you know what reason energy wasn't sanctioned? Could it be that the US didn't want to take energy out of the hands of the EU? We don't need Russia for oil, at all.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Young Freud posted:

While it's likely contaminated dirt being exposed via lots of armor going through, the area around the Sarcophagus has been spiking as well.

Yeah, about that:

https://twitter.com/SirSaGGi/status/1497159688361816075

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, investors seriously overestimated the stiffness of the US, Germany's and Italy's spines. It's just a huge 1m long earthworm wriggling in there

Tracks with what Putin said at the Summoning of the Oligarchs. Russia's interest in not damaging the world economic order correlates with the level of their level of involvement in it. Russia will continue to try to stay in it, and the world will oblige due to fear.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I will say, despite it all, I feel a tinge of satisfaction from the simple fact that even Putin, despite his obvious delusions of grandeur, will die one day. Money and power may be able to prolong his life, but death is inevitable. He WILL die. And knowing Russia, his legacy will be swept away within years of that death.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

alg posted:

How do you know what reason energy wasn't sanctioned? Could it be that the US didn't want to take energy out of the hands of the EU? We don't need Russia for oil, at all.

From the U.S Treasury department statement about the sanctions:

https://home.treasury.gov/news/press-releases/jy0608

US Treasury posted:

The sanctions and license package has been constructed to account for the challenges high energy prices pose to average citizens and doesn’t prevent banks from processing payments for them.

With regards to an exemption for several resource sectors from the sanctions.

IIRC the main concern is oil rather than gas.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 25, 2022

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Charlz Guybon posted:

Only because they foolishly shut down their nuclear power plants

That's demonstrably untrue, why keep repeating it?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The reply to that is pretty succinct. You can guess what is said...

https://twitter.com/Dexruus/status/1496980580189147137?s=20&t=qm-Oz2-gC5arZFjMXPe24g

BigglesSWE posted:

I will say, despite it all, I feel a tinge of satisfaction from the simple fact that even Putin, despite his obvious delusions of grandeur, will die one day. Money and power may be able to prolong his life, but death is inevitable. He WILL die. And knowing Russia, his legacy will be swept away within years of that death.

That day is probably coming sooner than he thinks.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Americans forget that gas central heating is a thing, and think it's all going to power plants.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ola posted:

Nord Stream 2 doesn't change anything about how reliant the country is on Russian gas, it's just another pipeline. And Nord Stream 1 didn't protect Ukraine either, so all the people claiming routing gas through Ukraine would protect the country were entirely wrong. And transitioning away from natural gas has been a political goal for a while now, it's not a sudden change because Russia decided to invade.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

alg posted:

Well, need is a strong word, but a fuckton of Russian crude is bought by Europe, specifically by the Dutch, gets refined in Rotterdam mainly, and sold for a large profit. It's a huge part of the economy of multiple countries and the largest multinationals in the world (after the tech companies basically). The neoliberal governments of the EU will never stop buying Russian crude.

Even if another source of oil could be provided for a similar price per barrel, it will likely be more difficult to transport, and it will definitely have a different composition. Which leads to a (significant) decrease in profit and downtime to change supply lines and refineries. Again, this will not be accepted by those same stakeholders.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Specifically regarding US imports of Russian oil:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenroberts/2022/02/24/russia-is-united-states-top-source-of-imported-gasoline/?sh=6c8c87d31b18

Forbes posted:

The United States imported more gasoline and other refined petroleum products from Russia than any other country in 2021.

That will make it tricky for President Biden and the United States to maneuver as it attempts to impose restrictions on U.S. exports to Russia, in the wake of President Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Americans forget that gas central heating is a thing, and think it's all going to power plants.

Gas like natural gas? We use that too. But we don't need Russia for it, which is what I was saying. We could have sanctioned it but probably wanted to leave that to the EU since they get theirs from Russia.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

alg posted:

Russia supplies 7% of crude oil imports to the US, it would absolutely affect the US as well.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
https://twitter.com/rianru/status/1497177100943564803

Russian state media reporting that Putin is ready to begin negotiating.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

TheRat posted:

I don't share your optimism at all. I think it would cause riots and political upheaval.

Yeah, this. Don't know about Germany, but I can't see domestic consequences going down well in France. The last time they thought petrol prices were too high, it started a nationwide unrest movement.

It's pretty easy to call out 'limp bureaucrats', but they're juggling with a lot more than a keyboard, and every single sanction will have far reaching consequences for years. Were it up to me, we'd be nationalising oligarch assets, but then, that's just my naive thinking. There'd probably be issues/repercussions with that that I can't think of, and at the end of the day, I'm glad it's someone else's job to think this through.

That said, it doesn't make it any less harrowing to see Ukraine pretty much abandoned to itself in the short-term...

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Zelensky isn't pulling many punches when it comes to talking about how abandoned he feels. That foreign minister dude too. While obviously the end result here is that Zelensky's government gets deposed, I can't imagine any Ukranian leaders looking at the West quite as favourably as they had been even a week ago.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I would be fine rationing heating for the next 2 years until we get more LNG terminals if that's what it meant to stop buying Russian gas. Europe is also wayyy warmer than most Americans tend to think; I've never seen anything remotely as cold as it gets every winter in the midwest, even high the Alps. I remember taking a photograph when my (American) car showed a temperature at 0°F, which was at the top of the highest winter-open pass in Switzerland, in late January.

We already have systems to ration heat pretty well too--every building I've lived in has the gas heating shut off automatically when the outside temperature goes above... 12°C? 15°C? something like that. Just set gas heating to not work if the outside temperature is above 3° or something. I've also only lived in new buildings, not sure how common this is for places built in the pre-00s.

E: Conversely I'd be much less happy to ration electricity, at least not for home or industrial use. I've spent time in enough time in Lebanon, and gently caress that. I can't power my phone by throwing an extra blanket on.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Feb 25, 2022

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

https://twitter.com/rianru/status/1497177100943564803

Russian state media reporting that Putin is ready to begin negotiating.

Yes but his negotiating position is that Ukraine surrenders and disarms. This is purely for domestic consumption to make it look like he's being reasonable.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

For those that want to see details of import/export of goods to Russia, this is a wonderful source:

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/rus

Scroll down to make breakdowns per item and/or country.

For instance, here's the breakdown of petroleum exports, refined and crude:

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Samopsa posted:

For those that want to see details of import/export of goods to Russia, this is a wonderful source:

The Netherlands (sorry, maybe that should just be "Netherlands") takes 10x more refined petroleum from Russia than Germany? I mean I don't doubt the data, just that's very surprising. What's the explanation?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Saladman posted:

The Netherlands (sorry, maybe that should just be "Netherlands") takes 10x more refined petroleum from Russia than Germany? I mean I don't doubt the data, just that's very surprising. What's the explanation?

The Dutch have a major oil company and the Germans don't.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

FishMcCool posted:

Yeah, this. Don't know about Germany, but I can't see domestic consequences going down well in France. The last time they thought petrol prices were too high, it started a nationwide unrest movement.
You could subsidize the costs in the short to medium term, and pay people to replace their gas heaters to reduce demand.

Saladman posted:

The Netherlands have oil and gas fields, and build up quite an industry around it. Presumably they're using the capacity from when those fields were richer?

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

Saladman posted:

All those dildos. I'm sorry

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Samopsa posted:

Maybe it's because that's from 2019 whereas the Forbes numbers are from 2021?

I don't think Forbes just makes poo poo up whole cloth.

e: possibly pandemic-related, when oil consumption was way down

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

alg posted:

Biden explicitly said he’s worried about domestic optics on petrol prices. As much oil as the US had access to, pulling the rug on Russian oil imports would’ve had ramifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Saladman posted:

The Netherlands is correct. Source: im dutch and hold a masters in chemical engineering

I explained above. The Netherlands has a huge petrochemical industry combined with the 3rd largest port in the world, good relationships with basically the entire world, the lowest corporate taxes outside of Bermuda, a highly educated workforce, a great infrastructure for trains, trucks, and river-based transportation.

A fuckton of the worlds oil will pass through the Netherlands at one point or the other.

E: and yes this started with our own very rich gasfield in the north of the country, which has almost run dry (and causing earthquakes in the poor cities above the now empty caverns) but gave us a good 40 years of virtually free heating and a steady inflow of cash.
We never really had our own major oil source, a couple of sea platforms but nothing mayor like Norway or something.

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Feb 25, 2022