Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Saladman posted:

The Netherlands (sorry, maybe that should just be "Netherlands") takes 10x more refined petroleum from Russia than Germany? I mean I don't doubt the data, just that's very surprising. What's the explanation?

Royal Dutch Shell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
https://twitter.com/michaelh992/sta...e971c4ef3f2%2F0

That's a big "whoops" if true.

TheCardhouse
Oct 7, 2005

:siren: Not sure the following is true. :siren: I'm seeing the following tweets but not much else about them, and they would have to be big news if true so I have no idea. I haven't seen them posted in this thread (but I might have missed it, apologies if so). They also seem to go against Zelensky's latest tweet ~40 minutes ago so I find it hard to believe they are true but there are two sources, one "verified". So I wanted to get the thread's opinion:

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/1497135086503878686

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497173284386795521

Zelensky's latest tweet, notably timestamped after previous two:

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1497173609957236738

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

uncertainty posted:

Royal Dutch Shell

no longer Royal since last month because they moved HQ to the UK because they didn't like the new push for higher environmental standards for Dutch companies

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

When people were Clancyposting and asking about WW3 one of the only reasons I could see for this to escalate is Russia accidentally attacking a NATO ally. To be very clear - this is nowhere near enough, both in scale and the damage caused - to trigger anything, but it's a reminder that Russia needs to be very careful with where they're firing.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Edit: Beaten. But from my googling there is a Moldovian chemical tanker named "Millenial Spirit".

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Ukrainian defense twitter corroborating

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1497182117259739141?t=ewfg5HGnykseHVyTMn0DMA&s=19

Russia needs to get their targeting poo poo together

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

No kidding. Romania is part of NATO for anyone unaware. If they brush this off as a "whoopsie" then it's probably no big deal. If they take this as an act of war, it could be significant.

TheCardhouse posted:

:siren: Not sure the following is true. :siren: I'm seeing the following tweets but not much else about them, and they would have to be big news if true so I have no idea. I haven't seen them posted in this thread (but I might have missed it, apologies if so). They also seem to go against Zelensky's latest tweet ~40 minutes ago so I find it hard to believe they are true but there are two sources, one "verified". So I wanted to get the thread's opinion:

[tweets deleted]

95% sure this is political posturing. Putin offered to negotiate, Zelensky looks worse to the world if he appears obstinate. Russia cannot give meaningful security guarantees and likely won't acquiesce to Kyev's independence regardless.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

What the gently caress is this

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1496925231730016256

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

a Javelin is an anti-tank weapon designed to rise in altitude, then breach from above as the top of a tank is generally the weakest point. That cage is intended to fool the javelin into detonating early, reducing the damage to the tank itself. Early reports have been that Javelins have been very effective in theater.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Shooting Blanks posted:

No kidding. Romania is part of NATO for anyone unaware. If they brush this off as a "whoopsie" then it's probably no big deal. If they take this as an act of war, it could be significant.

95% sure this is political posturing. Putin offered to negotiate, Zelensky looks worse to the world if he appears obstinate. Russia cannot give meaningful security guarantees and likely won't acquiesce to Kyev's independence regardless.

There's no change they take this as an act of war. Nobody wants this. Russia will probably apologise for a faulty targeting system/misfire, remind everyone that this is an active war zone peacekeeping mission, and everyone will carry on.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

When people were Clancyposting and asking about WW3 one of the only reasons I could see for this to escalate is Russia accidentally attacking a NATO ally. To be very clear - this is nowhere near enough, both in scale and the damage caused - to trigger anything, but it's a reminder that Russia needs to be very careful with where they're firing.

To be even more clear, Black Sea is not an Article 5 discovery area. You cannot get shot somewhere and call NATO to bail you out.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

I'm curious as to what the Romanian ship was hit with. I am not at all familiar with naval weapons but aren't they generally scaled up and incredibly destructive? If this was a direct fire attack ( as opposed to a missile), shouldn't the Russians have been close enough to ID it?

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Shooting Blanks posted:

Incredibly unlikely. President of RO said literally <24 hours ago there's no chance Romania will be drawn into the conflict.. a hole in a single ship in the black sea is not going to change that

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Fame Douglas posted:

And transitioning away from natural gas has been a political goal for a while now, it's not a sudden change because Russia decided to invade.

The sudden change is that the goal has become much more urgent.

Fame Douglas posted:

Russia supplies 7% of crude oil imports to the US, it would absolutely affect the US as well.

Buying 7% of my groceries from supermarket X doesn't mean that I depend on X. These stories need much more context.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

My personal fear is that a tiny incident could easily escalate into a misunderstanding that spirals out of control purely based on quick-reaction alert systems.

The Norwegian weather balloon incident was 1995 which was only four years after the end of the Cold War, if someone who knows what they're talking about could reassure me that military monitoring systems on both sides are nowhere near as hair-trigger as they used to be then I'd feel a lot better.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

To be even more clear, Black Sea is not an Article 5 discovery area. You cannot get shot somewhere and call NATO to bail you out.

Also Article 5 is not a 'push for WW3 button'. The alliance just has to take the appropriate action to restore your sovereignty, which if your sovereignty isn't actually being threatened might be very little.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Rest assured, Ukraine, your northern ally is coming to save you :finland:

https://twitter.com/Yleisradio/status/1497182918850064387?cxt=HHwWhsC5ndX7h8cpAAAA

"Yle appeals to European Broadcasting Union to bar Russia out of Eurovision Song Contest. Yle will not send a contestant to ESC if Russia is let to participate."

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Explains why so much personal belongs, sleeping bags etc were scattered around disabled vehicles.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This is good extra information to share, thanks.

I'm surprised at how... quiet the Kyiv front is. Considering the overnight news and the early morning push I was expecting a lot more news coming out of the battles there (particularly around the airport), but there's barely been anything. A few videos of Russian troops in what looks like the outskirts but not really anything else. Based on the heavy flow of pictures/videos/tweets yesterday if the Ukrainian forces were putting up fierce resistance you'd expect to see similar, but at the same time we're not seeing or hearing Russian forces driving into the city freely either.

I don't think there's anything to that, just think it's a bit strange how yesterday was live conflict on twitter and today is so quiet.

edit: of course as soon as I post this the air raid sirens in Kyiv spark up again

EvilHawk fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 25, 2022

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Nenonen posted:

Rest assured, Ukraine, your northern ally is coming to save you :finland:

https://twitter.com/Yleisradio/status/1497182918850064387?cxt=HHwWhsC5ndX7h8cpAAAA

"Yle appeals to European Broadcasting Union to bar Russia out of Eurovision Song Contest. Yle will not send a contestant to ESC if Russia is let to participate."

This is probably the most serious sanction that has been proposed so far.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

KitConstantine posted:

Ukrainian defense twitter corroborating

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1497182117259739141?t=ewfg5HGnykseHVyTMn0DMA&s=19

Russia needs to get their targeting poo poo together

In 1904 the Russian navy on it's way to the Pacific sank a British fishing fleet in the channel because they were convinced they were Japanese torpedo boats.

This is nothing new.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

All their personal kit stacked on top of the improvised top armour cage.

Gotta stay hydrated.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Ola posted:

Explains why so much personal belongs, sleeping bags etc were scattered around disabled vehicles.

It's quite normal to stow all that poo poo on the sides of the turret anyway, there is no room for that inside the tank. But now they have an extra storage rack for loot!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
literally looks like a dining room table

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

uncertainty posted:

Royal Dutch Shell

Crazy, I would have thought Germany would have a similarly large petrochemical company - but I know nothing about chemical engineering companies.

I also noticed that RT.com is down, and I tried connecting from both my EU and my Swiss IP addresses, and I doubt Switzerland blocked it. Must be under a DDOS?

Edit: Oddly, no connection on my phone (Swiss IP), no connection on my ethernet-connected computer (EU IP), but yes connection on my wireless-connected computer that is sitting next to my wired connection (also EU IP, but a different network than the wired network).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 25, 2022

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Tankers carry a ton of personal gear, and since that thing offers ”free” storage space Its being utilized. Obviously this is a massive signal that these tankers see javelins as far greater threat than direct-fire weapons (Ukrainian tanks) which makes sense in context.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's only a couple of evolutionary steps away from becoming this:

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Broke: The Ukraine
Woke: Ukraine
Bespoke: You Crane

Broke: The Ukraine
Woke: Ukraine
Bespoke: You Came!
Mike Spoke: That’s what she said.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Saladman posted:

I also noticed that RT.com is down, and I tried connecting from both my EU and my Swiss IP addresses, and I doubt Switzerland blocked it. Must be under a DDOS?

Edit: Oddly, no connection on my phone (Swiss IP), no connection on my ethernet-connected computer (EU IP), but yes connection on my wireless-connected computer that is sitting next to my wired connection (also EU IP, but a different network than the wired network).

'Anonymous' declared 'war' on Russia earlier and announced they'd be targeting RT

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Valtonen posted:

Tankers carry a ton of personal gear, and since that thing offers ”free” storage space Its being utilized. Obviously this is a massive signal that these tankers see javelins as far greater threat than direct-fire weapons (Ukrainian tanks) which makes sense in context.

Yeah, there's not really much room at all on the inside of any tank so anything you can stash outside is what you want.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Ah yes, the 5th Guards Jingle Truck Brigade.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Saladman posted:

Crazy, I would have thought Germany would have a similarly large petrochemical company - but I know nothing about chemical engineering companies.

Germany used to have a few large chemical production companies but then something happened and an awful lot of their executives went on trial and the industry was broken up.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Yeah, no one is going to trigger article 5 over a tanker. Even if it was hit while docked in a Romanian port you'd just get a quick broadcast that it was a massive fuckup and they'll pay massive compensation for it.

As far as energy supply, I think the EU still gets 35% of it from Russia. There's been a lot of talk about liquid natural gas terminals, but there's not nearly enough supply to cover that. That's why Russia got away with Crimea, and probably why Russia thinks they can do a similar deal over Ukraine if they can steamroll it quickly enough.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Nenonen posted:

Putin dragging the Tinkers into this?

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

The chemical tanker ship that supposedly got hit looks to be Moldovan flagged anyway, not Romanian. So not NATO and not EU

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:284968/mmsi:214182773/imo:7392610/vessel:MILLENNIAL_SPIRIT

as far as i can tell, anyway. i am not a ship person

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

boofhead posted:

The chemical tanker ship that supposedly got hit is actually Moldovan flagged anyway, not Romanian. So not NATO and not EU

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:284968/mmsi:214182773/imo:7392610/vessel:MILLENNIAL_SPIRIT

Still part of the Eurovision song contest.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Ola posted:

Still part of the Eurovision song contest.

putin's secret agenda is finally becoming clear

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/bazabazon/status/1497172726779371523

10K of kadyrovcevs are going to Ukraine on personal orders of Kadyrov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Old James posted: